Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 921875 times)

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
@Eren: You could tell us your impressions of working with the crew for example =) (I don't think that politely asking some questions may be considered harrassing)

Offline showdonttell

• So energy! Powah!
Eren is a pretty talented and fortunate musician. The combination with DT could be amazing.

Thanks a lot!

Wish I could tell more about everything but better not to until a certain point.
Looking forward to hearing your work on the new DT album, and Jordan's new solo project!
https://www.last.fm/user/kokocijo

So, I'm chasing these doves down the street and she's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then when the magician comes back from Europe, two of them turned brown!  Well I followed the instructions!

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
it's not Metropolis, Pt. 3.

If you have official info, please share.

The album is called "Dream Theater", not "Metropolis Pt. 3: Dream Theater". Dude.

Oh god, not this again.

This. IT'S NOT METROPOLIS 3 AND IT'S NOT A CONCEPT ALBUM! Will you finally accept it?

Have you accepted it LBC?

Never.

Some day, they will do Metropolis Pt.3 (to close the story).
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline aprilethereal

The story is closed. A third part would be horribly forced just to please some fans (like you).

And even if they did a Metropolis 3 it's bound to be a letdown. Simply because it can never live up to the expectations. And they know that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
This is not a Metropolis pt. III thread.  Please keept it on topic and avoid spam so that I do not have to start deleting posts and resetting post counts.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
edit: posted this before seeing bosk's post.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
resetting post counts.

Holy crap. Like that infamous "Progger...can't spell?"

:omg:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Petruccinator12

The thing is..I don't necessarily need to listen to for example a new single right now...I just want to get some sort of a timetable that states when what is going to be released or not..so that we stop speculating and debatting...that's the thing that's making me crazy.. -.-

Offline Eren

@Eren: You could tell us your impressions of working with the crew for example =) (I don't think that politely asking some questions may be considered harrassing)

They are amazing people. Rich Chycki is a very fun and great engineer, and I think he was behind the scenes very influential.

The schedule overall is insane but they're very devoted and enjoying it. Nobody seemed like burned out after 25+ years of doing it.

I want to quote JP about something, not the exact wording but he said he always likes to listen an album without any pre-speculation or influential thoughts from anyone, as a clear mind and have his first impressions pure. And he wants people to approach the DT albums as so. This particular album deserves this I believe, wouldn't say so for ADTOE, but for this one yes.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show

Offline The Stray Seed

They are amazing people. Rich Chycki is a very fun and great engineer, and I think he was behind the scenes very influential.

The schedule overall is insane but they're very devoted and enjoying it. Nobody seemed like burned out after 25+ years of doing it.

I want to quote JP about something, not the exact wording but he said he always likes to listen an album without any pre-speculation or influential thoughts from anyone, as a clear mind and have his first impressions pure. And he wants people to approach the DT albums as so. This particular album deserves this I believe, wouldn't say so for ADTOE, but for this one yes.

Thank you so much Eren!!!!! Now I can't wait to hear it more than before! I like soooo much the fact that it's going to be something different! Not that I don't like ADTOE, it's just that I love changes! Prog rulez :coolio

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.

He said that about DT12 in a DT Norway podcast.

Then DT shouldn`t release any single or snippet for this album.
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
We should really try to do as JP said, eliminate all the prejudices in an even more thorough way than usual when we will finally approach the new album. It could be thrilling!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline jdprsaga

Interesting...

What i kind of get from it is.. Album as a whole will be so awesome JP don't want to give us snippets/single to ruin it for us.. Which means album is really great.. which makes me want some snippets/single even more.

I do think a clip from a song from Live at luna park would ease our hunger for a while, they really should do it.

Offline The Stray Seed

Also what you said here is very interesting.

Offline matte.braso

Looking forward to hearing your work on the new DT album, and Jordan's new solo project!

I thought it was Michael Mierzejewski who collaborated with Jordan. Infact I remember the wizard saying he's going to record with the orchestra in Poland

Offline sdfdsv

So it IS a concept album after all...

jk ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

He said that about DT12 in a DT Norway podcast.

Then DT shouldn`t release any single or snippet for this album.

They've said the same thing for albums before. It doesn't mean there won't be a single. And I doubt the label would do that either.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Eren

I thought it was Michael Mierzejewski who collaborated with Jordan. Infact I remember the wizard saying he's going to record with the orchestra in Poland

They are handling the recording. I did the orchestration and live performance (in Venezuela and NY).

Offline Labrie1984

Being conceptual or not I strongly feel DREAM THEATER is gonna be epic.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Being conceptual or not I strongly feel DREAM THEATER is gonna be epic.

There's a 20 minute long epic that was originally labeled as "Epic". I think there is little left to chance, really :P
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline chudm

They are handling the recording. I did the orchestration and live performance (in Venezuela and NY).

the  orchestration in Venezuela was great! :)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
I can't believe this thread is already 80+ pages. Wow!

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
I can't believe this thread is already 80+ pages. Wow!
+ the amount of pages from the old thread? i'm pretty sure that's at least 270 pages :lol

Offline Ħ

I really hope DT12 breaks the mold of their last several albums. They are OK albums, but sonically they are definitely samey. I want to say it started with Octavarium or SC. If we can get an album that sounds like SFAM or SDOT, I'd be really happy.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
SDOIT's mix is huge. I hope they achieve something like that sound this time around.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline senecadawg2

I concur. ADTOE was good musically, but it felt a bit flat sonically.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline tiagodon

This is not a Metropolis pt. III thread.  Please keept it on topic and avoid spam so that I do not have to start deleting posts and resetting post counts.

Bosk, I need to get the hang of it... Help me out here.
Metropolis pt. 3 posts, in my opinion, are a legitimate derivation of this thread. People are speculating and drawing theories about the new album (based on the track listing). So I think it's perfectly on topic. Unless you're saying that speculation and theorization are not allowed. Then it's another thing.

Offline matte.braso

ah sorry, thanks for the clarification! :smiley:

Also what you said here is very interesting.
[/quote]

yeah, I actually feel the band gives his best with engineers that have got great personality and passionate committment to their works. In addition, I hope the result of their interaction is reflected in a strong Rush-vibe troughout the album, instead of other band's influence we have seen through the last years.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Bosk, I need to get the hang of it... Help me out here.
Metropolis pt. 3 posts, in my opinion, are a legitimate derivation of this thread. People are speculating and drawing theories about the new album (based on the track listing). So I think it's perfectly on topic. Unless you're saying that speculation and theorization are not allowed. Then it's another thing.

There is nothing about the new album that relates in any way, shape, or form to Metropolis, so, no, it is not a legitimate derivation of the thread's topic.  If people want to have a discussion about the fictitious Metropolis pt. III, someone can start a thread on that topic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
resetting post counts.

Do it, I dare you.

Also, I can't believe 81 pages of discussion since the art and song titles were released. It's probably going hit 200 pages once a single is dropped.

Offline Labrie1984

No, this thread and our heads will explode when the single arrives!:)

Offline lyfeternl

No, this thread and our heads will explode when no single arrives!:)

Seems like that'd cause more head explosions

"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline aprilethereal

The single will arrive. Chances that it won't are zero.