Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916364 times)

Offline Petruccinator12

Really...the waiting time is killing me already...and we still got TWO months to go :(

Offline senecadawg2

Really...the waiting time is killing me already...and we still got TWO months to go :(

Go check out the General Music Discussion section of the forum. I guarantee you there is enough good music, you have yet to hear, to keep you occupied for the next two months.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Petruccinator12

Go check out the General Music Discussion section of the forum. I guarantee you there is enough good music, you have yet to hear, to keep you occupied for the next two months.
[/quote]

Hehe, thanks a lot! :D I will most certainly do that =)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Exactly two months... It's nearing! Think about all the effort they put into writing it, recording it, mixing, mastering, how much time it all takes... And now we only have two months left! It's practically the final stretch! :D

Meanwhile, I'm catching up on my entire discography, from the studio and live albums, to the DVDs, commentaries, everything.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
I still haven't even looked at the bonus dvd from Systematic Chaos. I will get the deluxe edition of the new album, just because I'm a hoarder and I just need to collect, but I'm willing to be that outside the first opening of the box i won't actually ever touch the contents again ;)

Offline aprilethereal

TBH all I really want is the music. If there are special editions offering extra songs I'll go for that. My past history tells me I will
watch a making-of 1 time and never again.

same for me, but I'd still love a making-of-documentary because that one time watching it would be amazing :tup

Live-in-the-studio performances (like Wintersun did with Time I for example) would kick enormous ass as well :metal

Offline GandL

Yes it's nearing and only another 19 pages of this tread before we get another big announcement  :facepalm:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
I have a treat for that: Convince yourself it's three months and you will be pleasantly surprised.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
I have a treat for that: Convince yourself it's three months and you will be pleasantly surprised.

:facepalm: :tup
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
The tracklist sure looks like some kind of concept to me. Anyone else?

To me, is a concept album, very similar to Disc 2 of SDOIT.
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Yeah, we'll just have to wait until the official announcement that the album will in fact be called 'Metropolis Pt. 3: Dream Theater' and all the song titles will get a 'Scene X', before them, starting where they left. Oh boy, I think 'Scene Ten: False Awakening Suite' is going to be awesome!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, we'll just have to wait until the official announcement that the album will in fact be called 'Metropolis Pt. 3: Dream Theater' and all the song titles will get a 'Scene X', before them, starting where they left. Oh boy, I think 'Scene Ten: False Awakening Suite' is going to be awesome!

Or maybe you will see that your dream is collapsing.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show

:lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5

:justjen

Ehh.. It's always a possibility.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline mellotron_scratch

No.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I'm not sure why people always expect DT to make concept albums. In ~25 years they've only made one concept album.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I'm not sure why people always expect DT to make concept albums. In ~25 years they've only made one concept album.

It's in our prog blood to wish it. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?

Because the average prog metal band's concept-count is usually much higher, and people unconsciously expect DT to start catching up every time they release an album  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

I love a good concept album as much as the next guy, but honestly, I feel like the concept was easily the weakest part of Scenes From A Memory.

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
'Scene Ten: False Awakening Suite' is going to be awesome!

¿Nicholas didn`t open his eyes?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!

I love a good concept album as much as the next guy, but honestly, I feel like the concept was easily the weakest part of Scenes From A Memory.
The lyrical concept yea. The concept in the music was brilliant.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Exactly! See, my theory is holding ground already! Buhahaha.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline philmcson

So true! JLB, some members on the forum already own it.... then, Newsted in a few days. There's tons of great music lying around  :tup

Offline Lucien

Well, since you all love theories and speculation:

False Awakening Suite: Nightmares of Nicholas about Edward and Victoria.
The Enemy Inside: Talking about his enemy Edward, inside him through Victoria
The Looking Glass: A dream of Nicholas about seeing Victoria in a mirror, then Edward shattering the mirror
Enigma Machine: ?

Too lazy to write any more, but I was thinking about it being a prequel to Metropolis Pt. 2, but still being in present time.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
"Tired bones beneath a veil
Of guarded secrets all too frail."

- Beneath the Surface

We talked about what's under the veil, but what's "Behind the Veil"?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
:iagree:

I will say this. For me the "listen once = love" and the "it takes multiple spins to really appreciate something" arguments are both valid. In DT context I'll use Octavarium as an example. For both the song and the album as a whole, the first time I heard it I was disappointed. For the first few spins I was disappointed. On the album I thought the guitar tone sounded garbled, a little too dark. The drums were simple when compared with most of what MP was doing at the time. I didn't understand how DT could go from such a balls heavy sound on ToT to so mellow and simple a sound on 8VM. That feeling stuck with me for about a month or two after I got the CD.

Then I got MPs In Constant Motion instructional DVD and listened to it, watched him play Panic Attack, saw how complicated the drum were as he broke it down. Watched him play Never Enough live on there, and I started to get it. I gave the CD a few more turns and I really started to appreciate the songs for what they were. Listened to the lyrics more. I just "got it" after a few more spins.

Then there's the other side of the argument; the "listen once = love" side. For this I'll used Awake. The first time I'd listened to Awake, after I'd been into DT for a while I was like :omg: this fucking rules. Now, like some people, I heard Lie first, and didn't think much of it. It was definitely heavier than anything on I&W, but the first time I heard that was in the video for it, and I was like, "eh... ok" but when I got the album I was like, holy shit this has balls. When I first spun it, I didn't look at the liner notes, so the first time I heard Erotomania, I kept expecting vocals to come in. It wasn't until maybe 4 minutes in that I realized it was an instrumental. And I was like :metal Every song I heard on the album, even Lie after I'd heard it with everything else, instantly kicked ass.

ADTOE was the first album of DTs that for me had a real uncertain wait time for me, because up until that time I'd been a huge MP fan. To me, he could do no wrong. I did see a turn in their music style that I didn't much care for, with everything having to be heavier and darker. I didn't realize unitl after he left that that was his influence. When I first watched the drummer auditions I was convinced that MM would be able to play the songs the best, and I was thrilled when they chose him. But I was still uncertain of his sound, his toooone. When I first heard OTBoA, I was thrilled, that it was a complex song, that the drums were reletively complex, that indeed, MM could deliver. Like a lot of people, when I first heard it, I was like, "Where's the drums? I don't hear the bass drums. I can barely make out the cymbal work." But, the more I listened to the song, I grew to love it and when the album came out, I was instantly like, "Fuck yeah! This is what I wanted. :metal"

So, I know DT12 might take a few spins, It might take just one. To me it doesn't matter. I've grown to love DT as a band, both musically and their individual personalities. I know that their music is good, whether it's softer like 8VM or eat my ass n balls heavy like SC and BC&SL. With every album DT puts out, my main thought is, "I can't wait to hear what they do next." That's my sentiment this time too. I can't wait to hear what they do next, with Mangini unleashed. It's going to be great.
:tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline tiagodon

Well, since you all love theories and speculation:

False Awakening Suite: Nightmares of Nicholas about Edward and Victoria.
The Enemy Inside: Talking about his enemy Edward, inside him through Victoria
The Looking Glass: A dream of Nicholas about seeing Victoria in a mirror, then Edward shattering the mirror
Enigma Machine: ?

Too lazy to write any more, but I was thinking about it being a prequel to Metropolis Pt. 2, but still being in present time.

Enigma Machine is about Mike Portnoy!  :o

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Enigma can mean mysterious, so the "mysterious machine" is probably about Myung.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Maybe the Enigma Machine was the working title for John Myung  :o
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline matte.braso

is there anything else interesting related to the new album in the Spanish forum? did any other guy post his review within it?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:10:59 PM by matte.braso »

Offline Lucien

:clap:

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?

:clap: :clap:

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.

Exactly! See, my theory is holding ground already! Buhahaha.

Is a very legitimate theory (an illumination theory -the illumination of Nicholas-).

Offline dongringo

Oh absolutely! But to be clear, when I say concept that doesn't mean a literal story, it means a concept throughout the songs where the idea grows and changes, like almost every DT album. Correct me if saying that is against proper convention..

But yes-

Surrender to Reason
Embracing the Circle (likely relating to 8vm's concept)
Pursuit of Truth

Definitely something happening there.

This is exactly what I meant. Glad to know I'm not the only one who sees this in the song titles.  :tup

@ whoever accused me of trolling...please...a little respect. Just posting my thoughts...nothing at all wrong with that.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
I have to ask what is the point of DT releasing a single.  The single will probably not be played much on the radio.  I do see new fans possibly discovering DT with the release of a video like they did with On the Backs of Angels.  If I had not accidently view the video on a cable music channel I would not have found out about DT.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.