Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916431 times)

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Sounds like a remake of Octavarium, just like ADTOE was a remake of I&W. DT never seize to amaze, just when everyone was sure that this would be a remake of Awake they pull something like that :omg:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Sounds like a remake of Octavarium, just like ADTOE was a remake of I&W. DT never seize to amaze, just when everyone was sure that this would be a remake of Awake they pull something like that :omg:

?

Did you review the new album or something?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland

?

I believe he's referring to the fact the new album was described by JP as "one huge epic amongst a sea of shorter song forms", plus there's an orchestra. The rest is a joke.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
trying to wrap my head around what you're referring to is breaking my brain :lol

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach

?

Nah, we are joking about "Crucify" from Elements of Persuasion being a new DT song. That album was mistakenly leaked as Octavarium in 2005 :lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Nah, we are joking about "Crucify" from Elements of Persuasion being a new DT song. That album was mistakenly leaked as Octavarium in 2005 :lol

OOHHH.. That ordeal.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
ah gotcha!
I totally thought that was the real octavarium when it came out :epicfacepalmgif:
still probably the best "fake" album ever!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ah yeah, I didn't see the page break :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh, I was thinking me7 was referring to the DT12 tracklist and being serious, because there are 8 songs, the last one is a huge epic and the first one also includes movements. That, the page break and the lack of green font confused me :lol

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
Agh. I'd be able to bear this wait a lot better if other people weren't getting the advance copies!!

I can't care if it's standard procedure! If I can't listen to it, no one should be able to!!   >:( >:( >:(

I'm a selfish kinda guy.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
u better be joshin me
:neverusethis:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh, I was thinking me7 was referring to the DT12 tracklist and being serious, because there are 8 songs, the last one is a huge epic and the first one also includes movements. That, the page break and the lack of green font confused me :lol
Me too :biggrin:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Wait, there are 9 songs... I've once again demonstrated how fucked up my brains are today :lolpalm:

But hey, ADTOE also had 9 songs and still managed to be a rehash of I&W :neverusethis:

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
u better be joshin me

Damn, exposed
 :biggrin:

Offline dongringo

The tracklist sure looks like some kind of concept to me. Anyone else?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Nope.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

Offline aprilethereal

I'm starting to believe that this is just trolling.

Otherwise :facepalm:. Not this again. Seriously.

Offline tiagodon

just like ADTOE was a remake of I&W.

wat ???

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
I would assume that most people who really appreciate progressive music understands and like the fact that albums that takes a few spins or more before settling in is for the most part a good thing within this genre. I love the process when an album unexpectedly hits you.  :metal

Atleast that's what I love about music in general and what keeps it fresh, those moments when you find music that speaks to you by not following what you instantly prefer.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline tiagodon

I would assume that most people who really appreciate progressive music understands and like the fact that albums that takes a few spins or more before settling in is for the most part a good thing within this genre. I love the process when an album unexpectedly hits you.  :metal

Atleast that's what I love about music in general and what keeps it fresh, those moments when you find music that speaks to you by not following what you instantly prefer.

I heard once that if you like a song straight away, it's not a good song. It's weak and you will soon lose interest. But if it takes time and you start to enjoy it after a few listens, then it's a strong and good song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

I heard once that if you like a song straight away, it's not a good song. It's weak and you will soon lose interest. But if it takes time and you start to enjoy it after a few listens, than it's a strong and good song.

That's not true at all. The amount of time it takes you to like a song has no bearing on how good or bad that song is, or its longevity. That reads like anti-pop propaganda. :lol
There are songs I loved on first listen that I still love after over a decade (or two). There are other songs that took me a while to get into, and still faded away.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX

I heard once that if you like a song straight away, it's not a good song. It's weak and you will soon lose interest. But if it takes time and you start to enjoy it after a few listens, then it's a strong and good song.
Well that's simply not true.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.

Great post. I totally agree. :tup

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, the amount of time a song needs to grow on you doesn't determine its quality. Some of my favorite songs have managed to strike me as something special on the first listen already, others have improved with age like all the finest wines.

Offline lyfeternl

I don't think anyone has looked back on things from this point-of-view yet but, for this DT12 release, I see how spoiled we were with the release of ADTOE (audio snippets, etc.)

Though, my thought is that DT probably felt those actions were somewhat "necessary" to help calm the nerves of their fans given the departure of MP and the arrival of MM.
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I heard once that if you like a song straight away, it's not a good song. It's weak and you will soon lose interest. But if it takes time and you start to enjoy it after a few listens, than it's a strong and good song.

That's not true at all. The amount of time it takes you to like a song has no bearing on how good or bad that song is, or its longevity. That reads like anti-pop propaganda. :lol
There are songs I loved on first listen that I still love after over a decade (or two). There are other songs that took me a while to get into, and still faded away.

Listen to this man.

Also, there are some songs I loved straight away, that I found less interesting later on.

And finally, there are songs that sucked at first, and still suck.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Regarding discussing the album, the rules are clear about discussing leaked material, and I am not going to keep re-posting them and re-issuing warnings.  If I see someone discussing anything about the album that looks like leaked information, they will be banned from the site.  If you are a member of the media who has received an authorized advance copy and you are authorized to write about it, contact me privately and give me your credentials so I can make sure you are who you say you are.  Otherwise, if you have heard it, keep a lid on it, because discussing it is not allowed.  Even if you are joking, you run the risk of being banned from the site, so don't even go there. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline dparrott

But hey, ADTOE also had 9 songs and still managed to be a rehash of I&W :neverusethis:

Uhhh...yea I don't see that.   :-\
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
But, you know what you can see? Color green :neverusethis:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Yeah, the amount of time a song needs to grow on you doesn't determine its quality. Some of my favorite songs have managed to strike me as something special on the first listen already, others have improved with age like all the finest wines.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Regarding discussing the album, the rules are clear about discussing leaked material, and I am not going to keep re-posting them and re-issuing warnings.  If I see someone discussing anything about the album that looks like leaked information, they will be banned from the site.  If you are a member of the media who has received an authorized advance copy and you are authorized to write about it, contact me privately and give me your credentials so I can make sure you are who you say you are.  Otherwise, if you have heard it, keep a lid on it, because discussing it is not allowed.  Even if you are joking, you run the risk of being banned from the site, so don't even go there.

Thanks for the reminder!

As a further reminder, I'd like to share the following leak-protection advise with my fellow forum members: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV1eaE-QDEg

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning

Oh absolutely! But to be clear, when I say concept that doesn't mean a literal story, it means a concept throughout the songs where the idea grows and changes, like almost every DT album. Correct me if saying that is against proper convention..

But yes-

Surrender to Reason
Embracing the Circle (likely relating to 8vm's concept)
Pursuit of Truth

Definitely something happening there.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
semi thematic
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"