Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916349 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Quadruple post  :tdwn

You may try combining all those posts
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
No ADTOE sample went out on amazon. It happened with some other japanese site, though.

I distinctly remember it being Japanese Amazon. (There were other foreign sites as well though)

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
They initially said pre-orders would start July, now it's August.

Holy crap. It's not August for another week.

It's not August for another week, and four days.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
They should release a low quality demo version of one song now. So we could listen to new DT now and then it would blow our mind when the album version, mixed and mastered version comes with the CD.

Or another idea could be an acustic version...

Something else than snippets.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
They should release a low quality demo version of one song now. So we could listen to new DT now and then it would blow our mind when the album version, mixed and mastered version comes with the CD.

Maybe a single?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

Maybe a single?

That's so crazy and out there that it might just work!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
I originally envisioned late July for the single, but we got there and there's none to be seen. I really hope we don't get one soon, the wait would kill me  :-\
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I'm sure it will be sooner than later
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline illusionist

i expect to hear the sensitivity of 'through her eyes' ,the atmosphere of 'blind faith',the proggyness of 'breaking all illusions',the experimentation of 'misunderstood,the melodical element of 'the best of times' and the craziness of 'a change of seasons'.In a nutshell,i expect the best and i demand it from these guys.What about you dtfers?Which elements of previous songs do you expect or want this album to consist of?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I want it to be something entirely new.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
I want it to be something entirely new.

Bluegrass with a classical/jazz vibe!   :justjen  :tup

Featuring a girl singer!!!

And bongos.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
What I really hope that DT will release is whatever they felt was really cool while they were making it.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I originally envisioned late July for the single, but we got there and there's none to be seen. I really hope we don't get one soon, the wait would kill me  :-\
Huh? It's still late July for another 10 days.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Huh? It's still late July for another 10 days.

The math is strong with this one..........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline johncal

What I really hope that DT will release is whatever they felt was really cool while they were making it.

Dito

Offline matte.braso

I assume they'll release something (snippet, single, ecc.) only after having showed us all the 'in studio' episodes.....but I'll be happy if they prove me wrong ;D

Offline Lucien

I assume they'll release something (snippet, single, ect.) only after having showed us all of the 'in studio' episodes.....but I'll be happy if they prove me wrong. ;D

I agree with this.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
I think what DT could use is a lot more jazz elements in their music. They are all talented jazz players, but I think the only times they use prominent jazz is in their soloing. I'd love some songs that have a consistent jazzy vibe.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
I think what DT could use is a lot more jazz elements in their music. They are all talented jazz players, but I think the only times they use prominent jazz is in their soloing. I'd love some songs that have a consistent jazzy vibe.

yes, please!  :)   :tup
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline JRuivo

This! The Trial of Tears solo is one of my favourites.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
DT are all talented jazz players.

Are they?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Yea, they never seemed to take a huge interest in Jazz music. JP seems to be a bit into fusion, but that's it. Being a good improviser/soloist is different than being a "talented jazz player". Jazz is a completely different animal to what DT does.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
Yea, they never seemed to take a huge interest in Jazz music. JP seems to be a bit into fusion, but that's it. Being a good improviser/soloist is different than being a "talented jazz player". Jazz is a completely different animal to what DT does.

I don't really think that's the case. I could be wrong, but I feel like they are completely capable of writing jazz. LTE had a lot more jazz influence than DT ever has, and I'd be happy even with just that amount of jazz in their music.

Offline eosforum

I remember reading many times that JP studied "some" jazz mostly just enough to be an all-around player and composer. I don't think any of the members is into it really. Of course they can write great jazzy parts, but that's just another thing they can do as accomplished musicians and nothing more I guess.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
I assume they'll release something (snippet, single, ecc.) only after having showed us all the 'in studio' episodes.....but I'll be happy if they prove me wrong ;D

Do we even know how many there are supposed to be?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Lucien

Nope.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Maybe there are 5... or 8...

Offline Deve

This. Jazz is like, the polar opposite of the written music that they play. In an ideal scenario at a DT show, you'd expect to hear all the band members hit every note perfectly and hear the song just as it sounds on the album. The kind of music they play is extremely meticulous and they follow what they played on the record to a tee. When you go to a Jazz show, really the only recognizable thing you hear should be the head (or the main theme or the chorus or whatever you want to call it).

That being said, I'm sure they're more than capable of playing some jazz, it would just take them a bit of getting used to.

Offline eosforum

Nope.

I think they are just three. That day when the vids were "left unprotected" it was just three of them that people could find...

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!

I don't really think that's the case. I could be wrong, but I feel like they are completely capable of writing jazz. LTE had a lot more jazz influence than DT ever has, and I'd be happy even with just that amount of jazz in their music.
Eh, LTE borders on fusion at best.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

Nah, the music LTE did had nothing to do with jazz.  It seems to me that the people talking about DT's "jazz influences" aren't really familiar with jazz at all.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Maybe there are 5... or 8...

I see what you did there. :neverusethis: :tup

Honestly though, 5-8 studio vids would drive me insane.  :tdwn
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
And at the rate they are releasing them, the album would be out before the last studio video :lol

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Double post, woops.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
This may have been brought up before, but does anyone else think that Queensryche releasing a self-title album this year might have a negative effect on people's reception of the new DT album? I mean, obviously the music will speak for itself, but I can see some people who follow Queensryche being put off by this... I don't even know whether to call it a coincidence or not.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"