Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916353 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Talking about snippets and stuff, I really liked those 2-minute teasers Portnoy used to do, with small bits of every song mashed together and jumbled around.

How the fuck does stuff like that even get past the check? That black bar is instantly noticeable by anyone who isn't blind.

It's possible that the wrong file got used for the initial press release. Progress versions probably get sent out, and then whoever is publishing the announcement quickly grabs the file they have on hand without realizing. It's easy for it to happen, and as long as it doesn't affect the final cover, it's not a problem.
Given that there were several changes between that version and the final cover, it was obviously never meant to be shown as a finished version.

This made me slightly more hopeful about the new cover. Perhaps this happened again?

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
How the fuck does stuff like that even get past the check? That black bar is instantly noticeable by anyone who isn't blind.

It's possible that the wrong file got used for the initial press release. Progress versions probably get sent out, and then whoever is publishing the announcement quickly grabs the file they have on hand without realizing. It's easy for it to happen, and as long as it doesn't affect the final cover, it's not a problem.
Given that there were several changes between that version and the final cover, it was obviously never meant to be shown as a finished version.
I thought about the same thing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I wanna know what is taking so long to release the Studio Videos.

The first one was up on June 6th.  If there's four it would make sense to release one a month til the album is out.

But it's been over a month now since the first video and still no episode 2.

RR must know what they're doing but if the videos are all ready to go - why not just release them?

What is there to gain by spacing them out so much ?

Offline emtee

I think the merch for this next tour (and maybe special edition album release) will be cool. Wouldn't mind a T or tank top with just
the logo on it.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.

Building anticipation, basic marketing. Increasing the frequency of little nuggets as the release gets closer to add to the hype. Nothing new, nothing special.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
by distributing hype inducing events evenly over the space of time between album detail announcement and album release, there is likely to be more people going "shut up and take my money" on the first day of per-orders, in which pre-order figures are at the forefront of importance for record company success (especially in an age where people can just download on release/dare i say leak). people lose interest in things over time, and reminding them of those things keeps them excited.

Offline GUIGUICH

*SNIP*

Not yet
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:39:58 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Oh I don't think you should post that....
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
OMG !!!
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Wow, it would really help if facebook and youtube were more cooperative with the band's actual schedule.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlastParadigm

Will people never stop posting this?  :-\
Youtube and Facebook could really help doing a little bit of a clean up on these things.

Offline emtee

I don't understand how Youtube hasn't been sued into oblivion. Thousands of full albums and songs are available illegally every
single day. Boggles the mind.

Offline BlastParadigm

I don't understand how Youtube hasn't been sued into oblivion. Thousands of full albums and songs are available illegally every
I'm sure there's something written in Youtube's EULA that states that Youtube is not responsible for whatever is posted there.
But don't quote me on that, this is simply something that seems logical, seeing as anyone can pretty much post whatever they want on Youtube.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
Wow, it would really help if facebook and youtube paid acute attention to all of the needs and wants of the DT and their managements desires and disregarded all of the other happenings in the world concerning facebook and youtube at large.
ftfy
I'm sure there's something written in Youtube's EULA that states that Youtube is not responsible for whatever is posted there.
But don't quote me on that, this is simply something that seems logical, seeing as anyone can pretty much post whatever they want on Youtube.
Yeah it's people abusing the service, not the service abusing the people.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Wow, it would really help if facebook and youtube were more cooperative with the band's actual schedule.

haha

Offline aprilethereal

Just wanted to post that he should probably remove the link to the video, but you guys are fucking fast :D

Offline BlastParadigm

Wow, it would really help if facebook and youtube paid acute attention to all of the needs and wants of the DT and their managements desires and disregarded all of the other happenings in the world concerning facebook and youtube at large.
ftfy

Oh man... that makes DT seem like Dethklok IRL  :lol

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
jeeeez im actively looking. seems like facebook and youtube are pretty leak-proof to me at least

(im not asking anyone to send it to me, just stating that it's not that easy to find, for me at least)

Offline BlastParadigm

jeeeez im actively looking. seems like facebook and youtube are pretty leak-proof to me at least

(im not asking anyone to send it to me, just stating that it's not that easy to find, for me at least)
Most this leaked stuff is posted as private or accessible by link only.
Don't know about Facebook though, but I've seen quite some stuff leaked through it, from images to videos.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
Well In The Studio Clip 2 will be released in just a few minutes.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
I will say that it's incredibly likely that parts 2 and 3 (and 4? 5?) of the documentary thing are about as informative about the musical content as part 1 (i.e. nothing that we don't already know/aren't are expecting), although it will be interesting to see people extract things like lyrics and formulate more midi files and things of that nature.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Begin the countdown...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
In a few minutes? Dust off your CSI filters, there be nuggets on the menu.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert

Offline Meatrose

• DTF.org Alumni
I love the way James says "Sing something?" like it's one of the most outrageous requests ever.  :lol

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
Can't wait to see all the speculation about a chart that says "Metrop Setup 2"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
We heard JLB sing a partial line from a song! :caffeine:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline senecadawg2

I love the way James says "Sing something?" like it's one of the most outrageous requests ever.  :lol

Yep, he certainly is a funny man. Cool video! Do we know, definitively, how many parts total there will be?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
dem lyrics

"Still standing on the sidelines
watching through the looking glass

you are caught up in your gravity
glorifying madness
still standing on the sidelines
watching through the looking glass

you live without shame
you're digging up a goldmine
still standing on the sidelines
watching through the looking glass..."

also lol at "singing your own praise" being melodically very similar to every breath you take :lol

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.
"Sing your own praise" confirmed as a line

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
At around 1:10

elusive
fame is a prerequisite? to _____
an illusion of s______
fifteen minutes
the dark side of fame?
you had to have _________
walk  _______?
earned ________

That's all I could make out.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Meatrose

• DTF.org Alumni

Yep, he certainly is a funny man. Cool video! Do we know, definitively, how many parts total there will be?

The only thing we know for sure (as far as I know, lol) is that there are 3 parts.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Call me a party pooper, but aside from a few lyrics, that clip didn't tell us anything we didn't know about the band already.  And no new music was featured, so, yeah.