Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916401 times)

Offline darkshade

We keep seeing that word. I do not think it means what we think it means.

Every time I see the word 'soon' on DTF, I think of Yes' "Soon" section in The Gates of Delirium.

Offline ronnibran

The "soon" news will be an updated (pushed out) release date.  Too late to change the cover and still hit the September date.  There will likely be a series of conference calls and meetings tomorrow at RR to discuss the issue and stick a stake in the ground on the issue.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
Every time I see the word 'soon' on DTF, I think of Yes' "Soon" section in The Gates of Delirium.

Damn, I thought the same thing. Probably has something to do with the fact that I've listened to that song several times the past week. Great song, might be my favorite Yes song.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
I think by the time they begin recording DT13, we will get the release date from the start, and it'll just say "soon". Then on a random Tuesday, it's at the local Best Buy.

Offline darkshade

I think by the time they begin recording DT13, we will get the release date from the start, and it'll just say "soon". Then on a random Tuesday, it's at the local Best Buy.

"Soon" will be the title of DT13

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
The "soon" news will be an updated (pushed out) release date.  Too late to change the cover and still hit the September date.  There will likely be a series of conference calls and meetings tomorrow at RR to discuss the issue and stick a stake in the ground on the issue.

This is almost definitely false, but wouldn't you guys feel horrible if you guys forced DT to push back the release date with your whining?

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?

We keep seeing that word. I do not think it means what we think it means.

I think of this: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VeZ9HhHU86o

:coolio
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!

This is almost definitely false, but wouldn't you guys feel horrible if you guys forced DT to push back the release date with your whining?
Seriously. I'd be pissed if they pushed back the release date because of a barely noticeable mistake on the artwork.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Why would they even do that?  :lol

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
because the cover is lacking in quality and they have to alter the printing process(?) if they decide to "fix" the cover?  :lol :lol :lol

Offline ronnibran

Seriously. I'd be pissed if they pushed back the release date because of a barely noticeable mistake on the artwork.

For the record, I don't actually think this.  The wheels are too far in motion to change the release date (release dates can change, but unlikely to based on forum critique of the cover).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

"Soon" will be the title of DT13

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Well at least we know if DT ever says something along the lines of "Our music career is coming to an end soon," we know that's a long ass time away :tup

Offline johncal

I cant believe the cut in on the art would even be a topic of discussion. Really? The fact is if this turns out to be the best DT album ever, the complaining will be the worst ever. At least based on this thread. I guess my definition of a fan is a bit old school. Im just thankful for ANYTHING they do for me.

Offline Mosh

I cant believe the cut in on the art would even be a topic of discussion. Really? The fact is if this turns out to be the best DT album ever, the complaining will be the worst ever. At least based on this thread. I guess my definition of a fan is a bit old school. Im just thankful for ANYTHING they do for me.
Yea. I've really noticed a sense of entitlement with this release. Not just with the artwork, but with things like all the outrage when we thought there was going to be an announcement and there wasn't. It's kinda embarrassing really and makes us, as a fanbase, look bad.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline johncal

DT works theirs butts off. Id be pretty diappointed if not hurt if i worked that hard for my fans and had to read this kind of stuff. I hope some people here will do a little bit of inner reflection about what a fan should be and also realize that the DT guys are trying to do what they think is best. I guess you really can't please all of the people all of the time.... Once in a while would be nice though.

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
DT works theirs butts off. Id be pretty diappointed if not hurt if i worked that hard for my fans and had to read this kind of stuff. I hope some people here will do a little bit of inner reflection about what a fan should be and also realize that the DT guys are trying to do what they think is best. I guess you really can't please all of the people all of the time.... Once in a while would be nice though.

I can be very critic with DT, but the band is part of my blood.

DT fans are the most loyal on Earth.
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I think you're confusing "complaining" with "discussing". If the cover art stays how it is, some people (myself included) will be like... "hmm...bummer, it could have been so much better, but nevermind". I'm grateful as ever, I'm excited as hell with the new album and the DVD, and I've probably spent more money in DT than in any other band (I travelled from Mexico City to LA just to watch them perform, which wasn't exactly the cheapest idea ever  :lol ), and I know that the band can do things extremely right, so I kind of short circuit when we get ugly album covers. Also, when I try turning new guys into Dream Theater, it's kind of lame that they are the band "of the awesome musicians and the hilarious covers". I think album covers are important, as is the music. Every aspect of their album packaging/music (obviously)/live show production/merchandising speaks in behalf of the band, so that's about it. And I want every aspect of theirs to speak highly of Dream Theater, like for example, album covers. I wouldn't mind them to spend a couple more dollars on a guy that uses quality stock pictures.

I can be very critic with DT, but the band is part of my blood.

And this, basically. I tend to disagree a whole lots with either people who bash ruthlessly the band for no apparent reason with no arguments at all, as well as the people that worship every towel they spit on. Criticism is just the natural thing to do, and we do it because we're passionate about the band. There was never mention of "not being grateful because the band work their asses off to give us everything, mp durm god pls indonesia".
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:50:50 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Yea. I've really noticed a sense of entitlement with this release. Not just with the artwork, but with things like all the outrage when we thought there was going to be an announcement and there wasn't. It's kinda embarrassing really and makes us, as a fanbase, look bad.

I have to agree with this 100%

For myself, I'll be ecstatic when the album comes out on September 24th. I'll be intrigued if they put snippets out like they did last time. If they put a single out, awesome! If they don't, that's cool too. The cover art is what it is. I doubt it's going to change, because if it wasn't finalized it wouldn't have been in an official press release from the band. The cover could be a plain brown cover that looks like a paper sack from a grocery store, with no title and no band name. If the songs looked as cool as these do, I'd still buy the album. I'm a fan of the band in every incarnation, but I'm not entitled to anything. I'm really happy that the band is still putting out music. All of their music has it's merits
and it's detractors. For 28 years this band has produced the majority of my favorite music ever recorded, and for that I'm eternally grateful.
I hope and pray for many more years to come. :metal

This album is going to be amazing. I cannot wait. But I will, because I have no other choice.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline johncal

I couldn't have said it better. Funny you mentioned the cover. Reminds me of The Who Live At Leeds. About as paper bag as it gets  i guess that didn't hurt the album too much.

Offline Mosh

The cover art is what it is. I doubt it's going to change, because if it wasn't finalized it wouldn't have been in an official press release from the band. The cover could be a plain brown cover that looks like a paper sack from a grocery store, with no title and no band name.
Led Zeppelin almost had that.   :laugh:

Offline robwebster

I doubt it's going to change, because if it wasn't finalized it wouldn't have been in an official press release from the band.
Sure it could. They changed Octavarium.

Don't think they'll change this one, I doubt they're even half as aware that any fans have a problem with it as they were with Octavarium. But it's not outside the realms of possibility.

Offline Mosh

Octavarium had different artwork? What was that like?

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
May The Force Be With You.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

It was the same artwork, it just wasn't finalized when we first saw it, same with Systematic Chaos.

The first artwork we saw for Octavarium had a slight mistake where the black bar didn't fully extend across the image, and the balls didn't have the loops where the cables attached. I can't remember if there were some other very minor differences too.

The first artwork we saw for Systematic Chaos had a different font and colour for the text "Systematic Chaos". It was a rounder sans serif font, in a pastel green colour instead of the red.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
I doubt they'll change it because what people think needs to be changed is so minor in the larger scheme of things that it's really almost laughable. If they heard us bitching about the album cover on this one, they'd probably shrug it off and say something like: "Once you hear this record, you won't care what the cover looks like."
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Mosh

It was the same artwork, it just wasn't finalized when we first saw it, same with Systematic Chaos.

The first artwork we saw for Octavarium had a slight mistake where the black bar didn't fully extend across the image, and the balls didn't have the loops where the cables attached. I can't remember if there were some other very minor differences too.

The first artwork we saw for Systematic Chaos had a different font and colour for the text "Systematic Chaos". It was a rounder sans serif font, in a pastel green colour instead of the red.
Ah okay. Octavarium's art sounds like something more noticeable than the planet thing.

Offline robwebster

Here it is, if you're interested.

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
I really like the concept of DT12 cover, but they got to fix that cut issue.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Whoa, the cables indeed looked like solid lines there :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Hopefully they'll fix the new cover as well...

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo

Here it is, if you're interested.
Interesting for sure! The final cover really is a hell of a lot better.  :lol Hopefully, they'll fix the new cover too.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
How the fuck does stuff like that even get past the check? That black bar is instantly noticeable by anyone who isn't blind.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
They will fix it... soon.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
How the fuck does stuff like that even get past the check? That black bar is instantly noticeable by anyone who isn't blind.

It's possible that the wrong file got used for the initial press release. Progress versions probably get sent out, and then whoever is publishing the announcement quickly grabs the file they have on hand without realizing. It's easy for it to happen, and as long as it doesn't affect the final cover, it's not a problem.
Given that there were several changes between that version and the final cover, it was obviously never meant to be shown as a finished version.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.