Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916449 times)

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Hey, it's okay :D He expressed his own opinion, which also happens to be not shared by us almost on a plebiscite level! In all fairness, no, I don't think it's disrespectful at all. They owe to Mike Portnoy a part of their past just like Mike Portnoy owes a part of his to them, but right now they have no obligation towards him.

Dream Theater is who they are, and they don't have to say "sorry" or "please" to anyone to state their identity on a musical level. :)

I'll add that I think if MP was still hung up on or hurt by his not being in DT anymore than I'm sure he'd already have fired off some social media negativity.

At this point, it looks as though MP has moved on to different things and come to terms with being out of DT. He's still a member of the bands history and is due a certain respect as a musician and a person.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline senecadawg2

The DT12 cover art is perfect for Mangini`s drum kit.

:eek
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Don´t you guys think that the decision to make it a self titled album is kind of disrespectful towards Mike Portnoy?

Well, Portnoy's dad did suggest the name so-

No it's not disrespectful an any way.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 03:08:43 PM by Zook »

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
Don´t you guys think that the decision to make it a self titled album is kind of disrespectful towards Mike Portnoy?

No. Why do you think that?
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline 425

Don't you guys think that the decision to make it self titled is disrespectful toward Charlie Dominici?

Serious answer: No. I mean, MP surely isn't too happy about it, but that doesn't mean they meant any ill will by doing it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
Hopefully there will be a bass solo this time around! #JMXgonewild

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Don't you guys think that the decision to make it self titled is disrespectful toward Charlie Dominici?

Serious answer: No. I mean, MP surely isn't too happy about it, but that doesn't mean they meant any ill will by doing it.

I don't understand how anyone could perceive it as ill will to begin with.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Maybe because some might think they are saying that the definitive version of Dream Theater doesn't include Mike Portnoy.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
It's a way to have a new beginning.  This album for them sound like a team output, that 5 guys, so it's a rebirth so to speak for them and to me that's why it's self titled.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.

DT12 contains a bass solo (no speculation here) :metal
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Oh I know they probably wrote them together, but it really doesn't sound that way. I consider each "movement" as its own song.
Not sure where you get that.  It definitely sounds unified to me, and it is most certainly one song, not a collection of songs.

Pretty sure he was talking about AMBI for that part, not Octavarium.
Yes I was. If it was one song, then they would've labeled it as such. They barely even play the entire thing live.
Oh, yeah, I totally thought you were referring to Octavarium as a suite.  AMBI is definitely a suite.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.

Sooo there's this... tour info, or maybe something else?
May The Force Be With You.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space

yep thank you for discretely acknowledging that :facepalm: :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Maybe because some might think they are saying that the definitive version of Dream Theater doesn't include Mike Portnoy.

That's ridiculous.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
Maybe a single won't hurt anybody. Just saying.

And I think that there will be a bass solo on the new album!  :biggrin:

Offline SaterUM

I'm just waiting that they released a song, last time with "On the Back of Angels" of A Dramatic turn of Events the lapse between the song and the album was more earlier, damn hype

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.

yep thank you for discretely acknowledging that :facepalm: :lol

I didn`t want to be discrete.

The days are eternal until 9-24 (the album will be leaked a week before that date, anyway).

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?

The days are eternal until 9-24 (the album will be leaked a week before that date, anyway).

Edward Snowden, is that you? Didn't know you were into DT  :rollin
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Scotto123

I'm seriously going nuts about this album. I desperately want a single to come out to at least satiate my anxiety about the new album. I really hope something comes out soon.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

:omg:
 :rollin :rollin :rollin
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space

lol i'm assuming you have no intention of not being banned from this forum...
If that's not the case you probably should refrain from hinting at leaks or spoilers or any information that hasn't officially been released. I personally don't mind, but someone like Bosk will probably go all sith ninja on your ass. jussayin.

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.

No, I`m not him  :angel:

People here are being killed by the hype. A very little bit of info isn`t a crime.

I'm seriously going nuts about this album. I desperately want a single to come out to at least satiate my anxiety about the new album. I really hope something comes out soon.

I don`t want any single or snippet. One thing is to know album details, and other completely different is to hear something. I prefer to hear it as a completely new thing.

Offline matte.braso

mmmmmm single or In studio ep.2 this week.....hopefully both :metal

Offline dparrott

Sooo there's this... tour info, or maybe something else?

The news is there will be a single released soon.   ::)
/sarcasm
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

Not sure how I feel about this new guy.

Offline senecadawg2

Just look at his avatar! can't go wrong

Offline tiagodon

I just thought that by making it a self titled album they would be sending a message. Something like: this album is the real deal and this is DT at its best!

Offline senecadawg2

I just thought that by making it a self titled album they would be sending a message. Something like: this album is the real deal and this is DT at its best!

That is the statement it's making, and it's not inherently disrespectful towards anyone.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member

i mean we can keep pretending that it doesn't happen. but he's right. that's what happens these days

but FYI LBC. you can't talk about it or of it when it inevitably does leak

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

We keep seeing that word. I do not think it means what we think it means.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
It's "inconceivable" to some...  ;)
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Slightly off topic. Bosk, any idea when DTFs look will change for DT12?

Let me guess.....

.....SOON?.....

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
It's "inconceivable" to some...  ;)

You keep using that word, I'm not sure if means what you think it means...  :biggrin:

Anyway, back on topic. Can't wait for news about the North American tour, since I plan to fork up the $$ for the meet-and-greet this time. Also, I wouldn't be too upset if there wasn't a single released prior to the album being released, although I think there will be. Last time, I listened to OTBOA and the snippets from BITS and BAI probably fifty times a piece, and when I finally listened to the album, it diminished my enjoyment of those parts.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
I'd be ok without a single, but I would like just one snippet. Just a little tease is ok.