Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905825 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
To be fair, if you think it's ludicrously easy, you're not really aware of all it entails. Could you have made that Majesty logo on your own? Did you do any editing to that planet other than maybe colour tweaks and placement? Yeah, it's a cool image, but you're just taking other people's work and pasting them together, not really creating an original image on your own. It looks good because someone else made a nice image that you nabbed, not because it's ludicrously easy to do. And this is for a cover that is nothing but a planet and a logo.

Criticize Hugh Syme for his use of stock images, but if you actually look at the details, there is still a lot of work in putting them together to create a unique image that isn't just flogged from DeviantArt, and in the composition/arrangement, not to mention coming up with the ideas and concepts to begin with. If you come up with a fresh idea, and create that image from scratch on your own, you'd see all that is involved. Then multiply that by 8-10 for all of the booklet art too, and maybe you'll gain some perspective before stating so boldly that DT is being ripped is because you have a copy of Photoshop too.

I'm not absolving Hugh Syme for his mistakes, as I'm as critical as anyone else here of DT's covers, but I don't think you really appreciate the work that is involved even for what people consider "lazy".

/rant

Very well stated! I'd also like to add that ray-tracing would have been a viable, fantastic and time consuming way to achieve a great cover based on this concept. I have great respect for people who create great art with ray tracing...I dabbled in it for a few years back in the 80's and know how difficult it is to get effects like this.

I think record companies are overlooking a valuable asset by not employing ray-tracing artists. https://hof.povray.org/

OT: I really dig JP's jacket in that photo as well. Though, the fleur de li does seem a bit odd.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Very well stated! I'd also like to add that ray-tracing would have been a viable, fantastic and time consuming way to achieve a great cover based on this concept. I have great respect for people who create great art with ray tracing...I dabbled in it for a few years back in the 80's and know how difficult it is to get effects like this.

I think record companies are overlooking a valuable asset by not employing ray-tracing artists. https://hof.povray.org/

I hear DT have a pretty good "ray-tracing artist" for their live projection videos. :blob:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I heard that too.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I hear DT have a pretty good "ray-tracing artist" for their live projection videos. :blob:

:biggrin: Touche
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni

anyway, Rich Chycki on twitter has denied the autenticity of every leak uploaded on youtube, but the most important thing is that he considers DT12 as 'a pretty special album'.

I've decided that this means that DT12 will sound just like Winter Rose.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

anyway, Rich Chycki on twitter has denied the autenticity of every leak uploaded on youtube, but the most important thing is that he considers DT12 as 'a pretty special album'.

I'd be down with that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
That cover is really cool.

It would be funny if the band and record company came up with the idea of putting out the cover and list and then changing for the final product.

For some reason 'along for the ride' got me thinking of the Count of Tuscany.

A quick wallpaper I made :)

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline lyfeternl

Along the Ride got me more thinking about Home... :neverusethis:
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
I've never really been much of a critic concerning DT's cover art.  It is what it is and if it wasn't, it would be something else.  In other words, it is exactly how they want it and that's fine with me.  After all, we don't buy DT albums to look at the covers all day.  It's the quality of music within that counts.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline dparrott

I've never really been much of a critic concerning DT's cover art.  It is what it is and if it wasn't, it would be something else.  In other words, it is exactly how they want it and that's fine with me.  After all, we don't buy DT albums to look at the covers all day.  It's the quality of music within that counts.

:tup  Me too.  But that cut off graphic is pretty amateurish.  Hopefully that's just the mock-up.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster

As long as James sounds like he did on WR, no problem. :neverusethis:

Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online JRuless

That took me all of 5 minutes and I prefer it to the actual artwork :lol

I wonder if the band realise how ludicrously easy it is make decent artwork and how badly they're getting ripped off ?

To be fair, if you think it's ludicrously easy, you're not really aware of all it entails. Could you have made that Majesty logo on your own? Did you do any editing to that planet other than maybe colour tweaks and placement? Yeah, it's a cool image, but you're just taking other people's work and pasting them together, not really creating an original image on your own. It looks good because someone else made a nice image that you nabbed, not because it's ludicrously easy to do. And this is for a cover that is nothing but a planet and a logo.

Criticize Hugh Syme for his use of stock images, but if you actually look at the details, there is still a lot of work in putting them together to create a unique image that isn't just flogged from DeviantArt, and in the composition/arrangement, not to mention coming up with the ideas and concepts to begin with. If you come up with a fresh idea, and create that image from scratch on your own, you'd see all that is involved. Then multiply that by 8-10 for all of the booklet art too, and maybe you'll gain some perspective before stating so boldly that DT is being ripped is because you have a copy of Photoshop too.

I'm not absolving Hugh Syme for his mistakes, as I'm as critical as anyone else here of DT's covers, but I don't think you really appreciate the work that is involved even for what people consider "lazy".

/rant

Agreed. there's a huge gap between executing and concept-thinking. as well between artist and photoshop geek.

i cant judge before i know the concept in total.

Offline dparrott

Nothing wrong with female musicians in my opinion.  Some of my favorite bands are Warpaint and Drain STH, both all girl bands.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
Nothing wrong with female musicians in my opinion.  Some of my favorite bands are Warpaint and Drain STH, both all girl bands.

No I just meant my complete lack of musical talent. I love female musicians. I'm a big fan of Halestorm mainly because of Lzzy Hale. :metal
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
While this is plenty entertaining, let's keep this stuff in the pic thread please.  I'm going to move the existing ones.  This thread is going to get plenty long as it is with actual new album info.  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
SO, how about that Dream Theater Dream Theater album ?  :police:

Offline sueńo

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
It's going to sound very like Dream Theater, that's what I hear!  ;)

*shhhh don't tell anyone!*    :censored
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Whatsername

I'm relentlessly listening to older DT albums to try and pass the time until the new album. I've listened through FII and Octavarium! And it's only... *checks time* 3:33 PM.

This is going to be harder than I thought.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
I'm really excited for the new album. Some new info would be nice, but I suspect what's coming in the videos and all other presale promo stuff is gonna be amazing and give me that nervous, "so excited i'm gonna hurl" feeling.

This is like the longest Christmas Eve in history!
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Whatsername

I'm really excited for the new album. Some new info would be nice, but I suspect what's coming in the videos and all other presale promo stuff is gonna be amazing and give me that nervous, "so excited i'm gonna hurl" feeling.

Agreed. I want to know what the North American tour dates will be! I don't care how far I have to travel.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Well, what is typical is once an album is done, there is usually a 10-12 week promotional/marketing cycle before release date.  Since the press release with album title and track listing, etc., we're right about in that general timeline.  I think what makes it feel even longer than the norm is the fact that we've known they were working on the album for quite awhile now, and we were told the release date pretty far in advance.  So that's a bit unusual.  But otherwise, this is pretty much in line with industry standard.  What that means is that during this next period, they are doing things like finalizing the album art, figuring out the release of any initial singles or videos, making preparations to ramp up other marketing and promotion efforts, and then pressing and distributing the physical copies.  I guarantee that there is a lot going on right now, even if we may not see it just yet.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
I'd love to see them live with MM. I've only seen them in the declining time with MP, when it didn't look like they were having much fun. I'm gonna have to road trip somewhere to see them though. Gas prices on top of ticket prices might keep me away. I hope they'll do a dvd of the tour. We'll see.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.

Offline GandL

While this is plenty entertaining, let's keep this stuff in the pic thread please.  I'm going to move the existing ones.  This thread is going to get plenty long as it is with actual new album info.  Thanks.

Fair  ;)

For me this new CD will mark an new era, just like we can segregate the ones from Rush, (from 68 to 76, 76 to 81, 81 to 88, ...). We are on a treat and we will be all amazed. This is how I'm trilled about it. Being self title, getting an unusual artwork, nice titles, I'm pumped  :metal
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:04:43 PM by GandL »

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

Well, what is typical is once an album is done, there is usually a 10-12 week promotional/marketing cycle before release date.  Since the press release with album title and track listing, etc., we're right about in that general timeline.  I think what makes it feel even longer than the norm is the fact that we've known they were working on the album for quite awhile now, and we were told the release date pretty far in advance.  So that's a bit unusual.  But otherwise, this is pretty much in line with industry standard.  What that means is that during this next period, they are doing things like finalizing the album art, figuring out the release of any initial singles or videos, making preparations to ramp up other marketing and promotion efforts, and then pressing and distributing the physical copies.  I guarantee that there is a lot going on right now, even if we may not see it just yet.

I get that Bosk, I'm just like a kid in a candy store, waiting for parents to show up with money so I can get a treat. I know there's a ton going on right now. RR is one of the most devoted, industrious and social media conscious labels out there. It's just hard to contain my excitement for this album.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
I know exactly what you mean. The night befor ADTOE came out I was like an 8 year old on Christmas eve. Don't think I got to sleep until 5 AM I was so excited. I have a feeling this one might be even worse ;)

Offline dparrott

They also need time to print/cut the releases.  That's a lot of CD's, DVD's and vinyl!  Some bands have released their album digitally first, then a physical release comes months later.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
I wouldn't mind if there was a digital release like...tomorrow. Just saying.

Offline Whatsername

Offline Flacracker

Yeah... Its mixed and mastered right? Just release it. Upload it to iTunes or something.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
Yeah... Its mixed and mastered right? Just release it. Upload it to iTunes or something.

That's what I'm talking about. Everyone will be happy!  :biggrin:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
What did Hannibal Lecter say?  "All good things to those who wait."  :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Let's keep in mind that even since before MP left, DT has started to garner more attention and attract new fans. With that (and the absence of MP handling it per the norm), Roadrunner and/or DT are putting much more thought into a "marketing plan". That means that while things aren't going to proceed exactly as they have done in the past, know that it's all being done to make us happy.  :corn

Offline Labrie1984

A digital release would be also incredible for Live at Luna Park. According to OTE the product was finished and ready for release. The eternal waiting is killing me.

Offline andrewt67

Have I missed something ?

Has there been a contest where DT fans submit the most ridiculous and overblown song titles and the band pick the best ones ?

This was my first impression when I saw the track listing for the new album.

Sure this must be some piss-take by the band - there's no way the song titles could be so laughable.

Or could they ??????

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
 :\