Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 908626 times)

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
Don't know if this has been mentioned...

In the "Episode 1: DT in the Studio" video on YouTube, at around the 0:06-0:09 mark, it seems that we might have gotten a brief glimpse into the new album cover.

Does anyone else see this?

Posting this again to get some of your guys' opinions.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Must..... Resist....

No worries Kotow.  :)

..quick tangent - but i've considered getting help for but I don't see what the point would be...I don't want to take medication so why go ?

In the "Episode 1: DT in the Studio" video on YouTube, at around the 0:06-0:09 mark, it seems that we might have gotten a brief glimpse into the new album cover.

Screen caps would be good.

Offline senecadawg2

That little blue font is making me blind  :o
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Just saw on DTs twitter: "An evening with Dream Theater "Along for the Ride" world tour..."

The whole tour being "Evening with..." format seems confirmed to me. I would link, but I'm stupid when it comes to posting pics or screen caps.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
What's a meme?

Well, here's one thing that's becoming one..   :\
....So, how 'bout that new Dream Theater album?

Just trying to keep discussion on track. Don't want this one to get locked, too.

Offline eosforum

I'm pretty sure this thread won't last until the end of September either. I guess we''ll need like four of them to carry us until the release of the album :lol

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?

Are you talking about this?  This is all I see from :06 - :09...

"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah and it's just a lens flare effect on the video to me..

Offline cosmicwxdude

I think they rather look menacing in a futuristic cowboy sort of a way.   :millahhhh

Offline matte.braso

I wonder what will the CD/DVD extra content consist of. I mean, in studio ep.1 is much shorter compared to a single episode of the Spirit Carries on documentary. Is it only a small part and we'll have a full-lenght documentary (e.g. 60 min.) or we'll see something else?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I know there's a docu on the Luna Park DVD so I dunno.

I REALLY want the entire album played live in the studio.  :hefdaddy

Offline DreamTension

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Live in the moment, breathe in a nude beginning
Does anyone else remember JP mentioning in an interview that he wanted the fans to hear the new album in its entirety with virgin ears? To experience it without any preconceived notions?

It's the complete opposite of how they handled the pre release of ADTOE, but I think that means we won't be getting any snippets and possibly no pre release single.

Is this possible? Does that interview exist? Am I crazy?

Super excited for DT12!  :metal

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
that's just not possible to do nowadays. snippets will always be there. there's always some foreign amazon site that gets them early.

i think he's talking more about speculation and how fans blow anything they say in the pre-release out of proportion

last time around mangini not writing with them and JP programming rough drum ideas somehow equated to: mangini wrote nothing of his own, JP completely wrote all the drum ideas (yes there are people who still believe that)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Close to the Edge has a terrible cover.

No, it doesn't.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Wat. Close To The Edge is so cool. All other green covers pale in comparison.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
Seeing as I don't know of any other all green album covers, I can't compare.  :lol

Maybe terrible was the wrong word. Extremely boring, how about that. The artwork on the inside of the album is awesome, though.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
I dunno, I like the simplicity of it. Yes album covers are awesome, but they're so involved that they don't leave much to the imagination. So in that sense, Close to the Edge is a bit of a blank canvas, in that regard. And the green just gives off an earthy feel that I love.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Dacling

Wat. Close To The Edge is so cool. All other green covers pale in comparison.

Exactly. It is so amazing. It's so simplistic but the colors just look so beautiful for some reason and the inside of it is just magnificent. I bought a vinyl of it just because I love the art so much and I have it sitting next to me.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
that's just not possible to do nowadays. snippets will always be there. there's always some foreign amazon site that gets them early.

i think he's talking more about speculation and how fans blow anything they say in the pre-release out of proportion

last time around mangini not writing with them and JP programming rough drum ideas somehow equated to: mangini wrote nothing of his own, JP completely wrote all the drum ideas (yes there are people who still believe that)
Who would possibly do something like that?? :lol
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
Nobody here!

Surely, he's paranoid and overreacting!   :loser:
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member

No, it doesn't.
I think it has an atrocious cover when compared to their others. The inside is a different story though.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
I usually don't like resurrecting long-dead jokes and beating long-dead horses, but the "Along the Ride Tour" thing is just begging for a Horatio Caine meme iteration.

But at this point if someone tries to pull it off and just messes it up somehow, that joke will be dead forever.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
I usually don't like resurrecting long-dead jokes and beating long-dead horses, but the "Along the Ride Tour" thing is just begging for a Horatio Caine meme iteration.

But at this point if someone tries to pull it off and just messes it up somehow, that joke will be dead forever.

You mean like this?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Yes, except funny.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Yes, except funny.

Ah, I was trying to mess it up and make it so that the joke is "dead forever".  I guess the meme wasn't bad enough (which I find a little surprising honestly)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Yeah, but a last hurrah wouldn't have been so bad.

Offline TL

So I just got back from a week long trip, give or take, with no internet.

The cover looks good. I like the minimalism of it. I'm guessing there will probably be a sticker with the name on the shrinkwrap.

The track listing; those titles definitely seem like new ground for DT, which is something I remember saying about the ADTOE track titles, and ADTOE ended up being fantastic. Some of them are a bit... odd... but then The Count of Tuscany ended up being great, so I'll wait and see.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:17:49 PM by TL »

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
Loving the new cover art it will look great on a tshirt :-) titles look good as well can't wait to hear it :metal
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
I'm really looking forward to the announcement and preorder availability of the bigass badass limited edition box set.

The BCSL/ADTOE sets are just great, both visually appealing and with all the extras. There were instrumental mix CDs, silver tickets, golden tickets, a song stem DVD, an additional cover songs CD, and of course the vinyl versions with extended artwork.

What do you think will be the special extras in the DT12 box set? I'll get it anyway, just curious. :angel:

Greetings...
Nef

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.

New pic on the FB page.

Also, am I the only one who digs this pic? They look very... confident and together. And I actually think JP's coat is pretty cool, he looks like some prog metal pimp or something.  :lol

JLB and JR are my favourites in this pic.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Mangini hair looks like a woman's hair.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
And JP looks odd in that coat. Probably because we've always seen him in a T-shirt.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Is that supposed to be derogatory or what?

The poses are all forced, but it's not like DT dudes are photo models, it's hardly a quality they should possess, don't y'all think? :tup They look pretty damn fine to me.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
Is that supposed to be derogatory or what?

The poses are all forced, but it's not like DT dudes are photo models, it's hardly a quality they should possess, don't y'all think? :tup They look pretty damn fine to me.

I agree that the poses are forced, but this is actually the photographers fault. There are far better promo photos from them.

Offline nicbor87

Don't know if this has been pointed out before, and it might seem farfetched, but the song titles kinda remind me of previous DT albums, as in the topics they deal with:

1. FALSE AWAKENING SUITE - SC. "False awakening" and it's subtitles are somewhat descriptive for Forsaken, ITPOE, TDEN and MOLS
2. THE ENEMY INSIDE - SDOIT. Mental illness and stuff.
3. THE LOOKING GLASS - FII. The Cover!  ;D Yeah, this one is tough.
4. ENIGMA MACHINE - 8VM. Should be self-explanatory
5. THE BIGGER PICTURE - BCSL. Theres always a silver lining if you look at the bigger picture. All BCSL songs come down to that.
6. BEHIND THE VEIL - Awake. Deals with many aspects of seclusion and isolation, e.g. being behind a veil
7. SURRENDER TO REASON - ACOS. Come to terms with yourself and seize the day.
8. ALONG FOR THE RIDE - TOT. Trains. Ride. Obvious right?  ;D
9. ILLUMINATION THEORY - SFAM. Just look at the title and subtitles. Its like SFAM in a nutshell.

I'm probably stretching things here but it kinda jumped me when i read the titles.