Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905954 times)

Offline lyfeternl

"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
What if the album STARTS with the orchestra??? :neverusethis:

Offline Dream Team

I think blast beats are total crap. They just sound like a bunch of fast repetitious banging. No groove or beat to them at all. Now someone is going to argue me with "Isn't that what all drumming is?" or something like that.

Well you're 100% wrong about that. Great extreme drummers like Derek Roddy, Flo Mounier, George Kolias etc etc play them at warp speed while perfectly in time, whether it's 220bpm or 300bpm.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm running from the enemy inside
Searching for the life I left behind
These suffocating memories
Are etched upon my mind
And I can't escape from the enemy inside

Already loving it, not even heard it yet haha.

Where did this come from?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline dparrott

300bpm?  I've never heard of that, can't even imagine what that sounds like.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Are etched upon my mind

There was a picture that was officially released with those lyrics on a sheet.

Offline robwebster

Yep - Cove City Sound Studios posted a shot to facebook. James LaBrie recording vocals, with those lyrics on the sheet. Think it's been taken down since, but not in a hurry.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
Are etched upon my mind

It came from people standing on the sidelines
Watching through the looking glass
caught up in their own gravity
glorifying madness
singing their own praise
:neverusethis:

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Track titles are kinda really horribly bad. Cover art is kinda meh. These don't have anything to do with song quality though, so it doesn't bother me. :)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
There was a picture that was officially released with those lyrics on a sheet.

Yep - Cove City Sound Studios posted a shot to facebook. James LaBrie recording vocals, with those lyrics on the sheet. Think it's been taken down since, but not in a hurry.

Ah, alright.  Thanks for clarifying, guys.   :tup
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline senecadawg2

Track titles are kinda really horribly bad. Cover art is kinda meh. These don't have anything to do with song quality though, so it doesn't bother me. :)

I think that's a little harsh  :P I will concede that Dream Theater has never been the best at coming up with good song titles, though I don't see these as any worse than past albums. 
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun

Kind of curious of what you think are good song titles?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni

I think that's a little harsh  :P I will concede that Dream Theater has never been the best at coming up with good song titles, though I don't see these as any worse than past albums.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous to judge whether the titles are "good" or "bad" without actually having heard the songs the titles go with.  Whether a title is "good" or not depends in large part on how well it embodies the character of the song.

Offline dparrott

The only song title that's not interesting to me is Along For The Ride.  That sounds like a generic 70's rock title.  Sounds like it would be a Walk Beside You or Innocence Faded style song.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space

Personally, I think it's ridiculous to judge whether the titles are "good" or "bad" without actually having heard the songs the titles go with.  Whether a title is "good" or not depends in large part on how well it embodies the character of the song.
yes. Also to me DT song titles always seem really weird and outlandish until I have heard the music. I have to say the only exception was when the track titles for BC&SL were revealed, I thought the names were pretty awesome and that we really were getting the album with ACOS, Octavariaum and whatever songs Portnoy alluded to ( :facepalm:).
The song names definitely make more 'sense' on listening to the actual music.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
The only song title that's not interesting to me is Along For The Ride.  That sounds like a generic 70's rock title.  Sounds like it would be a Walk Beside You or Innocence Faded style song.
Fine by me. I personally love innocence faded and would like to see one song on the new album that's similar to it

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
I was really rooting for Dream Theatour, can we all call it like that until they cave in? :'( or at least produce an inside joke.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
 :omg:

I'm trying hard not to get too excited right now. I have a feeling that we could be in for something really special come September 24th. I'm really excited about the tracklist, particularly the song titles. Sure, they might be a little cheesy, but it's DT after all. I loved the quote of JP saying that people are going to be "freaked out" by Mangini's drumming on the album. I don't know, but that seemed like more than just the typical pre-album bluster to me.

I'm kind of in the middle on the logo. It's not the biggest deal that they changed it, but I understand where people like Blob are coming from. No offense to anyone, but I find it surprising that some people don't see the difference, I noticed it instantly.  It also seems like weird timing, and I feel that ADTOE would have been a more appropriate time for a logo alteration, with the drummer change.

As far as the cover itself, I get a little of a DSOTM and Black Album vibe, which I don't think is purely coincidental. DT has never been shy about showing their influences, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was another way to do so. I agree that the way the earth just cuts off is a bit of an eyesore, and would prefer to see it cleaned up before actually being released, but I am not expecting that.

Either way, I'm not going to allow my opinion of the cover or the logo to affect my enjoyment of the album (not that I'm implying those who strongly dislike both are going to do so). Close to the Edge is my favorite Yes album, and one of my favorites of all time, and it has a terrible cover.

New pic on the FB page.

Also, am I the only one who digs this pic? They look very... confident and together. And I actually think JP's coat is pretty cool, he looks like some prog metal pimp or something.  :lol

I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member

Kind of curious of what you think are good song titles?
Y'know, I've never really thought of a title as "good" exactly". Just ones that turn me off. I don't really like these ones at all. Like I said it doesn't really matter to me because it doesn't affect the music, I guess I just feel that way.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

Also, am I the only one who digs this pic? They look very... confident and together. And I actually think JP's coat is pretty cool, he looks like some prog metal pimp or something.  :lol

I dunno, it seems like they're trying to look really metal, and not quite pulling it off.

JP's jacket is really cool, though.

Offline Ayeegit

The way James is holding his wrist seems *really* strange and forced... Jordan looks like he got caught saying something... seems like an odd picture.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
^ This is by far their worst promo photo.

They all seem unnatural and forced.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Lowdz

I think blast beats are total crap. They just sound like a bunch of fast repetitious banging. No groove or beat to them at all. Now someone is going to argue me with "Isn't that what all drumming is?" or something like that.

I'm right with you. I don't like the sound at all. The beginning of JLB's new single for example. It just sounds wrong.

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...

Pretty much this.

While I definitely can understand that some titles could come off as contrived I really do think that it's impossible to fully judge a title without first hearing the song. Working titles exist for a reason and this time only one working title made it to the end. That should mean that the rest of the songs received their official titles after they were fully composed. I'd say; hold your fire for now.  :yarr

Offline Lowdz

MM. How long has Blackie Lawless been in DT?  :biggrin:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member

The way James is holding his wrist seems *really* strange and forced... Jordan looks like he got caught saying something... seems like an odd picture.
and JR in camo pants is a bit strange......it looks cool though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
I dunno, it seems like they're trying to look really metal, and not quite pulling it off.

JP's jacket is really cool, though.

I see what you mean, but when I think of trying to look metal and not pulling it off, one of the promo pics from the SC or BC&SL era come to mind. I think that JM looks a little pensive, Jordan looks pissed, but JP has the badass jacket. I understand what people are saying about James' wrist, that is a little weird. I just like the air of a strong leader that he gives off there. But yeah... I just have to say, Mangini's hair looks extremely feminine.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Mangini looks like he's ready to block a free kick.  :P

I'm just gonna say it.  It looks like everyone except Jordan is dying their hair now.  I wish they would just be graying rock gods instead.  I think that would be awesomer.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?

I get the feeling this is the looks DTF would get as the band collectively read the criticisms of the artwork and tracklist.

Jordan is like: "WTF!?!
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline senecadawg2

I'm just gonna say it.  It looks like everyone except Jordan is dying their hair now.  I wish they would just be graying rock gods instead.  I think that would be awesomer.

I completely agree. Mangini, especially, looks kind of ridiculous.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
I feel like they had to keep telling Mangini not to smile.  He looks like he's trying really, really hard not to smile.

Maybe it's just me. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
I feel like they had to keep telling Mangini not to smile.  He looks like he's trying really, really hard not to smile.

Maybe it's just me. 

It's definitely not just you. :lol He's always smiling.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
I wish I had any skill whatsoever with Photoshop right now.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Tomislav95

And JM is badass like always.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline matte.braso

JM is like: