Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905879 times)

Offline senecadawg2

I had a dream last night that the epic was 31 minutes long  :omg:

I can't wait to see that played live in the spring when they make it over here. I'm assuming they'll announce dates soon
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
I just did a little dance in my seat. EVENING WITH WHAT I CAN'T EVEN. :metal
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline Frank

Twist: "Along for the Ride" is a 34-minute prog epic about a guy who also happened to be in the car when the Count of Tuscany took JP for a drive

That actually briefly entered my head when I saw the tracklist. CoT happens to be one of my all-time favorites so I wasn't surprised I focused on that. So instead of Petrucci as narrator we'll have a professional wine importing guitar tech. :lol

If anything like this turns out to be vaguely true I would be highly amused. I would also love to see some fanfiction written about this. Not the Twilight one.
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline PROGdrummer

The tour is called "along for the ride"

(https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheaterofficial/posts/10151479258802181)

Yes.  Yes, it is.  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37547.msg1614360#msg1614360

:yeahright *sigh* I'm always too damn late.

also, I thought a blast beat was snare, bass and crash/china etc.. at same time as a fill, like in sacrificed sons 4:20

A better example of an actual blast beat would be at 14:44 in A Nightmare to Remember. But not all blast beats are just hitting on the bass snare and cymbal at the same time. Some types of blast beats are just snare/bass alternating like at 0:58 in The Dark Eternal Night. Thats also a "blast beat". Theres lots of different kinds.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Huh, I've always thought "blast beat" just referred to the bass drum. Didn't know it included cymbals and snare.

Of course, I'm hardly an authority on this.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
I could bring my wifes minivan to Chattanooga and we could van pool.  Of course there are two potential problems with that.  1) I am probably much older than your friends(old fogey 55) and 2) If you and your friends areyounger you may not want to be seen in a mini van. ;)

Hoping the 'evening with format' is for the whole tour.  Looks like I may have to travel to Atlanta, but that will be fine even if I have to go by myself.  I have not found too many folks that even know of Dream Theater in my area of the US(Tennessee).

My wife likes some of the stuff, but can only handle so much.  She still cannot get the name correct.  When I am on the computer she asks if I am on that 'Nightmare Theater' site. ;D

Agreed on the "Evening With..." format hopes for the US tour. Oh, I'll be traveling to Atlanta from TN (Chattanooga) as well and bringing those I have made into DT converts  :metal
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline dparrott

Now that we have the titles, which songs will have an orchestra?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Behind the Veil, and the closer.

I'm guessing.

and maybe the opening suite as well?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Can we get some crabcore on this tour?

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
0:36 to 0:54 = different blast beat types, ANTR isn't a very good example

https://youtu.be/EuPYJ0bzOdM?t=31s

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
I was looking through the track listing again and the only title that sticks out to me The Bigger Picture. That is the least DTish title I see on the album. The rest I get a good vibe from.

Sounds more like a Rush song title to me.  :metal

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
I was looking through the track listing again and the only title that sticks out to me The Bigger Picture. That is the least DTish title I see on the album. The rest I get a good vibe from.

Sounds more like a Rush song title to me.  :metal
Moving the bigger pictures :neverusethis:

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
I guess The Enemy Inside will be the single. The title kind of reminds me of Constant Motion. Probably because it sounds :metal and CM was a pretty metal sounding single.

Yet another Rush-esque referenced song title (aka "The Enemy Within").  Although it could be more about JP's inner "bear" trying to come out too often.  :biggrin:

Offline PROGdrummer

Blast beats in DT tho

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Twist: "Along for the Ride" is a 34-minute prog epic about a guy who also happened to be in the car when the Count of Tuscany took JP for a drive

That actually briefly entered my head when I saw the tracklist. CoT happens to be one of my all-time favorites so I wasn't surprised I focused on that. So instead of Petrucci as narrator we'll have a professional wine importing guitar tech. :lol

If anything like this turns out to be vaguely true I would be highly amused. I would also love to see some fanfiction written about this. Not the Twilight one.

The closest example of Count of Tuscany (and other DT-related) fan fiction I can think of is this:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=10181.0   Count of Tuscany section begins on page 5 after leaving The Silent Man.

Reading through that again, I'm again bummed that it died.  That was fun.  :(
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 12:26:12 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member

Blast beats in DT tho

i'd love if DT experimented with new things from other genres, if even for small parts

it's what makes between the buried and me so good. their ability to break into completely different sounding sections easily. keeping the listener on their toes

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
I guess The Enemy Inside will be the single. The title kind of reminds me of Constant Motion. Probably because it sounds :metal and CM was a pretty metal sounding single.

Yet another Rush-esque referenced song title (aka "The Enemy Within").  Although it could be more about JP's inner "bear" trying to come out too often.  :biggrin:
Since they named the tour after Along for the Ride... I'll go with that as the first single.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
I'm running from the enemy inside
Searching for the life I left behind
These suffocating memories
Are etched upon my mind
And I can't escape from the enemy inside

Already loving it, not even heard it yet haha.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
I'm running from the enemy inside
Searching for the life I left behind
These suffocating memories
Are etched upon my mind
And I can't escape from the enemy inside

Already loving it, not even heard it yet haha.

Seems to be a powerful chorus!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I've never understood how people can judge lyrics before hearing them in a song. To me, the words don't really anything for me if I don't hear them in context.

Not saying it's wrong, I just can't do it.

Offline Setlist Scotty

I like bands that tap into many genres, even if for a small part.  A little blast beat here, a little jazzy part there, a couple of heavy songs...keeps things interesting.
I agree with that - as long as it's appropriate to the song. The blast beat in ANtR seems to have been inserted in there just so that MP could try to do a blast beat. Personally, I hate blast beats - while they require a lot of technique, there's nothing interesting about them. However, in the right setting, a small amount can help the song. The one example that specifically comes to mind is the song Hybrid Times from Riverside, time stamp 8:34-8:39 - the blast beat works perfectly for the way the song builds up to the climax. If MM uses the blast beat in an appropriate way like that, I'd have no problem with it.

Perhaps they'll add some instrumental tracks throughout the setlist, so he can take longer breaks and rest his voice inbetween songs.
This! I'd love to see them bring back a number of live-only instrumental songs that have sections allowing for some improvisation, like they did on the Images and Tour/Music in Progress tours of 1992-1993. Over the course of that tour, they did 7 different instrumentals other than the extended improv/soloing following To Live Forever.

What do you think are the chances of them playing Wait for Sleep this tour?
Considering that they did that song on the last tour, it's too difficult to say. Not sure to what extent they'll be changing things up from tour to tour like they used to on previous tours. But to be on the safe side, don't bank on it.

I think it also has a lot to do with the setlist. Some songs, if performed night after night (or even every other night), put a lot of strain on the vocal cords. A cleverly designed set list with a couple of strategically placed instrumentals would make it a lot easier to cope with.
Exactly - that's part of what allows Rush to continue doing Evening With tours, despite the fact that Geddy is gonna be 60 soon (if he's not already)!

Hoping the 'evening with format' is for the whole tour. 

My understanding is that that is the case.
Yay!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Flacracker

I think blast beats are total crap. They just sound like a bunch of fast repetitious banging. No groove or beat to them at all. Now someone is going to argue me with "Isn't that what all drumming is?" or something like that.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
I like blast beats, when it's done right. Peter Wildoer can do it, but MPdoesn't.

Offline dparrott

When I first got into death metal during it's prime, I was blown away as to how fast blast beats were. 

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
I don't know if anyone has asked this yet but....

If MP was still in the band how could he get to change the album name to the always fitting drum pun of his drumming DVD?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

If MP was still in the band how could he get to change the album name to the always fitting drum pun of his drumming DVD?

Drum Beater?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Drum Beater?

Only Possible Option surely ?

Drum Theater at the very least.

Offline JRuivo

Drum Theater. Easy.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Hoping the 'evening with format' is for the whole tour.  Looks like I may have to travel to Atlanta, but that will be fine even if I have to go by myself.  I have not found too many folks that even know of Dream Theater in my area of the US(Tennessee).

My wife likes some of the stuff, but can only handle so much.  She still cannot get the name correct.  When I am on the computer she asks if I am on that 'Nightmare Theater' site. ;D

Agreed on the "Evening With..." format hopes for the US tour. Oh, I'll be traveling to Atlanta from TN (Chattanooga) as well and bringing those I have made into DT converts  :metal

Atlanta's probably my only hope too, still a 3-hour drive from Tuscaloosa AL.

Offline dparrott

What if the album STARTS with the orchestra??? :neverusethis:

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I think that's a very reasonable option, considering it's called a 'Suite'.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :omg: What if the first song is ONLY the orchestra ? !

Offline lyfeternl

:omg: What if the first song is ONLY the orchestra ? !

Either way, it'll be suite... :neverusethis:
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
I have no idea where I could find the chart from the studio report right now, but I definitely remember that all the songs included some instrumentation by at least some of the band members.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
I have no idea where I could find the chart from the studio report right now, but I definitely remember that all the songs included some instrumentation by at least some of the band members.
Yep, that's true. I think the orchestra is on at least one of the epics.