Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905916 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
As long as they don't go around saying you created France or Cleveland, you're all good?

But he did create french fries, right?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Sooo, how about that upcoming DT album? Can't wait.

Quiet you, the mods are chatting.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
what new album?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

That and the tour.  I hope the evening with format doesn't tire James out, but I'm confident he will do fine.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Perhaps they'll add some instrumental tracks throughout the setlist, so he can take longer breaks and rest his voice inbetween songs.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I hope they'll play Hell's Kitchen and Stream of Consciousness then.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
I think James can handle longer shows. His voice is improving...

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
What do you think are the chances of them playing Wait for Sleep this tour? I will cry my eyes out if I hear that song live.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
This...
I think James can handle longer shows. His voice is improving...
and this...
What do you think are the chances of them playing Wait for Sleep this tour? I will cry my eyes out if I hear that song live.
and this!!

Offline Tomislav95

And TDOE for trippy experience :P I really can't wait for the new album and I hope it's going to be epic since it's first I'm going to see live (they'll probably play full or almost full album on An Evening with DT).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline emtee

Along for the ride and for the chocolate cake.

Copy Rush...but instead of chicken have cake or cupcakes. Maybe an episode on Cupcake Wars for the DT tour...:)

Offline dparrott

I thought OTBOA was pretty advanced prog for a single, I hope they do that again.  And good point on the single being released in time for the pre-sale.  Definitely possible.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
I think it also has a lot to do with the setlist. Some songs, if performed night after night (or even every other night), put a lot of strain on the vocal cords. A cleverly designed set list with a couple of strategically placed instrumentals would make it a lot easier to cope with.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
Can we maybe assume from this that Along For The Ride will might be the first single?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Can we maybe assume from this that Along For The Ride will might be the first single?

I don't think it implies anything more than that it was an appropriate name for a tour.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!

I don't think it implies anything more than that it was an appropriate name for a tour.

Hmm... whoever said Dream Theatour, I agree with them  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
As long as they don't go around saying you created France or Cleveland, you're all good?
Yeah, I don't want credit for those two.

Say, I don't remember - do we still co-own France?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tomislav95

Do you know if this song have vocals (I don't know it was this or another song on chart that haven't changed name)?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
The tour is called "along for the ride"

(https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheaterofficial/posts/10151479258802181)

Yes.  Yes, it is.  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37547.msg1614360#msg1614360

:yeahright *sigh* I'm always too damn late.

also, I thought a blast beat was snare, bass and crash/china etc.. at same time as a fill, like in sacrificed sons 4:20

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
The tracklist is simply awesome. I really like the concept of the cover (very simple, only majesty logo w/background) but I don't like the realization. I do hope it's something temporary and not the actual cover art that will be printed. I hope they will notice that line and the low resolution and rework the whole thing to set it right.

Offline Dacling

Hope the "soon" is in normal time, and not Valve time  :-\

Anything but that. Though I can't help but have this feeling the OTE is working on valve time.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

Although, it wouldn't surprise me if that is the first single. Based on title alone it seems less proggy, more radio friendly.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Hoping the 'evening with format' is for the whole tour.  Looks like I may have to travel to Atlanta, but that will be fine even if I have to go by myself.  I have not found too many folks that even know of Dream Theater in my area of the US(Tennessee).

My wife likes some of the stuff, but can only handle so much.  She still cannot get the name correct.  When I am on the computer she asks if I am on that 'Nightmare Theater' site. ;D
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

Although, it wouldn't surprise me if that is the first single. Based on title alone it seems less proggy, more radio friendly.

It wouldn't surprise me if it has "single" potential, given the title and likely average song length of the non-epic tracks, although I'm still putting my bet on one of the other tracks being the leading single.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline lyfeternl

Hoping the 'evening with format' is for the whole tour.  Looks like I may have to travel to Atlanta, but that will be fine even if I have to go by myself.  I have not found too many folks that even know of Dream Theater in my area of the US(Tennessee).

My wife likes some of the stuff, but can only handle so much.  She still cannot get the name correct.  When I am on the computer she asks if I am on that 'Nightmare Theater' site. ;D

Agreed on the "Evening With..." format hopes for the US tour. Oh, I'll be traveling to Atlanta from TN (Chattanooga) as well and bringing those I have made into DT converts  :metal
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
When I am on the computer she asks if I am on that 'Nightmare Theater' site. ;D
That's a great name for DTF actually :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline lyfeternl

When I am on the computer she asks if I am on that 'Nightmare Theater' site. ;D
That's a great name for DTF actually :lol

If she had said "Nightmare Cinema" it would've been truly nuggetz-worthy
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline aprilethereal

I guess The Enemy Inside will be the single. The title kind of reminds me of Constant Motion. Probably because it sounds :metal and CM was a pretty metal sounding single.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
We'll probably get a single with the pre-order info for the boxsets.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Hoping the 'evening with format' is for the whole tour. 

My understanding is that that is the case.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
An evening with makes me so happy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

It wouldn't surprise me if it has "single" potential, given the title and likely average song length of the non-epic tracks, although I'm still putting my bet on one of the other tracks being the leading single.

Twist: "Along for the Ride" is a 34-minute prog epic about a guy who also happened to be in the car when the Count of Tuscany took JP for a drive

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
Along for ride I'll be your guide just step inside.

Anyways, really excited for the evening with format!