Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905966 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Everyone said the same thing about ADTOE, and that ended up being miles better than anything post SFAM.

Not true, SDOIT is some of the best artwork for a DT album, SC was good too. With BCSL things just started to go downhill, and with this cover it looks like it's going to keep going downhill.

EDIT: I wish that it was somewhat theater themed seeing how it's self-titled.

I meant musically.

Offline aprilethereal

Everyone said the same thing about ADTOE, and that ended up being miles better than anything post SFAM.

Not true, SDOIT is some of the best artwork for a DT album, SC was good too. With BCSL things just started to go downhill, and with this cover it looks like it's going to keep going downhill.

I meant musically.

Still not true.

Offline jdprsaga

If a shot of the sun coming behind earth where you can see the sunrise (could be a sunset too) line day and night division isn't MAJESTIC enough for the forum, then I give up with the forum.

We do can see the MAJESTY symbol and not reference to the actual name of the band - I guess that's who they feel they really are! -

just my two cents.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Disclaimer: I love the cover art and I'm not really bothered by the cut. But, that being said, imagine:

Something like this ?

Offline Red_Queen

Disclaimer: I love the cover art and I'm not really bothered by the cut. But, that being said, imagine:

Something like this ?

Jesus !!! Good work !

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
I do like how the light is behind the logo and the effect it creates.  However, the extra planet and red stuff is too much.  I really like the minimalistic approach.  Just the Majesty logo, which was the original name and on the very first album, and a little bit of perspective with the planet and barley any sun.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
Yeah, also the Majesty logo needs more Brooklyn Bridge

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
Question, since I've seen the phrase thrown around a few times, wtf is a blast beat?
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Question, since I've seen the phrase thrown around a few times, wtf is a blast beat?

It's a type of drum beat that's basically really fast alternating bass drum / snare. The only time DT have ever used one is at 14:44 - 14:58 of A Nightmare to Remember. It's more common in death metal / black metal etc.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier

:rollin

Offline Whatsername

It's a type of drum beat that's basically really fast alternating bass drum / snare. The only time DT have ever used one is at 14:44 - 14:58 of A Nightmare to Remember. It's more common in death metal / black metal etc.

*goes to listen to A Nightmare to Remember because she can't remember how that part goes*

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?

And cow bell
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni

And cow bell

And Portnoy peeking behind the planet.

Okay, that wasn't funny anymore.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Whatsername

*goes to listen to A Nightmare to Remember because she can't remember how that part goes*

I return after listening to that section, and I have one thing to say.

Fuck that shit. :biggrin:

Just kidding, I'm just personally not a big fan of that, though it's impressive as hell.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

I return after listening to that section, and I have one thing to say.

Fuck that shit. :biggrin:

Just kidding, I'm just personally not a big fan of that, though it's impressive as hell.

Here's a good explanation, and he plays them slowly so you can get a good feel for what's actually going on:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18oaIznHoOI

Here's a solo where he incorporates a lot of blast beats:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg2EyWA0Jxc

Hope that helps.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline dparrott

I like bands that tap into many genres, even if for a small part.  A little blast beat here, a little jazzy part there, a couple of heavy songs...keeps things interesting.  That's why I like Blur so much, they cover such a wide range of genres yet still sound like themselves.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I can definitively say that Nef did not use the correct Majesty logo in his highly informative and entertaining artwork.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Labrie1984

When are you expecting a single from the new álbum? I'm eager to taste a Little bit of it :)

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
Soon

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Official tour name has been released.

For those rooting for "Dream Theatour," sorry.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I like bands that tap into many genres, even if for a small part.  A little blast beat here, a little jazzy part there, a couple of heavy songs...keeps things interesting. 
IIRC, the blast beat technique actually started in jazz.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Some bands I am a fan of have used blast beats, but I think it would be wise for DT to stay away from them (although I bet MM could handle them better than MP did).
Official tour name has been released.

For those rooting for "Dream Theatour," sorry.  :lol
I wasn't rooting for it, despite being the one who came up with the name :lol

Offline dparrott

Soon

Ughhh.  Not the "S" word again  ::)
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline BlastParadigm

Hope the "soon" is in normal time, and not Valve time  :-\

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Cool titles. Excited.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
IIRC, the blast beat technique actually started in jazz.

That is correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_beat

Offline Nest777

I'd say we'll hear the single before the pre-orders start. They have to sell the new material, and considering they've confirmed pre-orders will start this month... I'm calling it: we'll have a single before the end of july.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
I was really rooting for Dream Theatour, can we all call it like that until they cave in? :'( or at least produce an inside joke.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline lyfeternl

Anyone else watching the drummer auditions to "scratch the itch" while we wait for snippets, RR studio videos, etc?  :biggrin:
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
???  I thought you just spoke it into existence on Day 8.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I learned something today, thanks!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
???  I thought you just spoke it into existence on Day 8.
Let the plebes have their myths.  It keeps them from becoming too disruptive.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
As long as they don't go around saying you created France or Cleveland, you're all good?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sooo, how about that upcoming DT album? Can't wait.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.