Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 908664 times)

Offline Rattlehead

Everyone said the same thing about ADTOE, and that ended up being miles better than anything post SFAM.

lolno.

Yeah I  :lol'ed too

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
I was looking through the track listing again and the only title that sticks out to me The Bigger Picture. That is the least DTish title I see on the album. The rest I get a good vibe from.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
I was thinking, I wonder if any of the tunes on the new album (if it's not a concept) will be about Portnoy's departure.  None of the titles lead me to believe there will be, but the feelings that come from such a dramatic change could make for some good lyrics.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline senecadawg2

I was thinking, I wonder if any of the tunes on the new album (if it's not a concept) will be about Portnoy's departure.  None of the titles lead me to believe there will be, but the feelings that come from such a dramatic change could make for some good lyrics.

I sure hope not; this dead horse has been beaten past the point of recognition.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.

I sure hope not; this dead horse has been beaten past the point of recognition.

Yeah now that I think about it more that is a stupid idea. :facepalm:
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
I was worried this thread might not be as entertaining as "DT in the studio again", but these last few pages just proved me wrong :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I'm excited about all the dubstep on this album!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
DT hadn't released a song or a section of a song in any other language that wasn't English, right? I'm asking because I'm really hyped for Paradoxe de la Lumière Noire and I don't really know why.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
DT hadn't released a song or a section of a song in any other language that wasn't English, right? I'm asking because I'm really hyped for Paradoxe de la Lumière Noire and I don't really know why.

I'd be downright shocked if it wasn't an instrumental opening somewhat like an overture, as a lot of their longer songs and suites do.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni

I'd be downright shocked if it wasn't an instrumental opening somewhat like an overture, as a lot of their longer songs and suites do.

I agree with blob, but even if it had lyrics, a french title doesn't mean automatically french lyrics, it could also have spoken samples.

It could also be a french canadian rap  :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
I really like dubstep if it's done right, but I don't feel like it'll fit in Dream Theater's music. So I'd vote against it too.

I'd like some "djent" influences since they toured with Periphery and their latest album was on Petrucci's top of the year albums list. I don't want the sound of it, but maybe a small part with some "djentish" rhythms. Which I think is very achievable for Dream Theater, and you wouldn't even need a distorted guitar.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
So that's why they got Mike Mangini...

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran

It's not real dubstep!!!!
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
:lol

Generally speaking, writing off an entire genre in the way that some people are doing is the same as people who say that rock isn't really music because it's all loud guitars and angry shouting, or that prog metal is terrible because it's all just wanky indulgence about dragons and wizards.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
For those who don't get the problem with the planet being cut off on the cover preview, my inner child prepared something for you!

Copy and pasting from different sources is okay, not checking the edges against the background however is not, that's the issue.

I really hope I could help. ::)

Greetings...
Nef

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
:clap:

Yes, Nefarius, that was amazing!

Illumination Theory will be filled with Dubstep, like Muse's last album.
I know you're joking and everything, but just letting you know that aprox. only 1.5 minutes of Muse's The 2nd Law is "dubstep" per se, which are 1.5 minutes of a 3 minute song in an album with 13 songs.

I know :lol , but it's still kind-of funny to bash Muse for it, although I must say they did it pretty well.

Me too!!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
That pic should be enough to explain the cutoff :D

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
That's how it happened, people. Let it be written as much :millahhhh
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
Gah, I hope that it isnt heavy heavy as some are suggesting. It would sound weird sitting through a show with blast beats and whatever first, then The Answer Lies Within next. Would sounds disjointed  :-\

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
I don't think it'll be that heavy.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, it can't be overly metal if it's supposed to be an album that represents everything DT is about.

Offline Sycsa

With those titles, it'll probably be the most proggy album they ever released. Definitely insanely technical.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
With Mangini unleashed, I think it's going to be a very technical one.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
I think that we will get a good deal of intensity, rather than outright heaviness. In one interview Mike remarked how he liked intense and energetic music, and I believe that this kind of preference of his will be felt on the record.
- Marco

Offline eosforum

In the official announcement there is no mention of a making-of DVD. So, is it really possible that JP would pay a whole crew of a top filming company just for a bunch of short vids?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, it can't be overly metal if it's supposed to be an album that represents everything DT is about.

It also can't be lacking in metal if it's supposed to represent everything that DT is about. It's not 1992 anymore.

For those who don't get the problem with the planet being cut off on the cover preview, my inner child prepared something for you!

Copy and pasting from different sources is okay, not checking the edges against the background however is not, that's the issue.

I really hope I could help. ::)

Greetings...
Nef

Great explanation! Hopefully this explains why this was definitely not an intentional thing, as it isn't something that's supposed to be seen anyway (and likely won't be seen when printed for the covers).

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni

It also can't be lacking in metal if it's supposed to represent everything that DT is about. It's not 1992 anymore.
My point was that it won't be Train of Thought 2 :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

My point was that it won't be Train of Thought 2 :)

Oh, well obviously not! Misunderstanding on my part, I think. I thought you were talking about the heaviness of individual sections, rather than the total percentage of the album that is heavy. ToT was an intentionally one dimensional album that focused on that one particular element.
I'd definitely like to have parts of the album that are as heavy as ToT, but I want a diverse album that covers DT's entire gamut of styles and then some, from ballads, to poppy, to proggy, to metal, to rock, to any other wacky influence they want to throw into the mixing bowl.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
Disclaimer: I love the cover art and I'm not really bothered by the cut. But, that being said, imagine:

- Marco

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
I prefer the more minimalist approach from the original, but for the planetary background there are zillions of stock images with a far superior texture resolution and no need for such a cut. It might not be important for the cd print but it might be to low res for the vinyl cover or posters, tour marketing material, on the online stores you would see the cut if your monitor is set too bright (not uncommon).

Offline johncal

Who really cares about his departure? They're obviously letting the whole thing die, even if people here refuse to.

Offline Mladen

I'm really liking the album cover for its minimalist approach as well, but honestly, I've just noticed that cut everybody is talking about. I hope they will have it fixed before the album comes out, it looks really weird and I seriously doubt it was intentional.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Everyone said the same thing about ADTOE, and that ended up being miles better than anything post SFAM.

Not true, SDOIT is some of the best artwork for a DT album, SC was good too. With BCSL things just started to go downhill, and with this cover it looks like it's going to keep going downhill.

EDIT: I wish that it was somewhat theater themed seeing how it's self-titled.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
With BCSL things just started to go downhill, and with this cover it looks like it's going to keep going downhill.