Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905917 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I HATE EVERYTHING BUT PROG METAL

I know you're joking, but I still want to say that hating dubstep does not mean you hate everything but prog metal.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member

I know you're joking, but I still want to say that hating dubstep does not mean you hate everything but prog metal.

eh dubstep is just the newest thing to bash. it's a buzzword. im sure if jordan came up with the coolest electronic thing ever to complement a song, people would still hate it on the grounds of it belonging to a particular genre. things sound good/bad because they are good/bad. not because its called metal or dubstep

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
Don't know if this has been mentioned...

In the "Episode 1: DT in the Studio" video on YouTube, at around the 0:06-0:09 mark, it seems that we might have gotten a brief glimpse into the new album cover.

Does anyone else see this?

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Assuming a single is released, is there anyone that is going to not listen and just go on here and hear the comments?  Would be kind of interesting to hear others comments without listening.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Frank

Assuming a single is released, is there anyone that is going to not listen and just go on here and hear the comments?  Would be kind of interesting to hear others comments without listening.

I'm actually a little worried about that. After having listened to the snippets to death before ADTOE I've decided that I will not listen to anything this time, but I also don't want to give up browsing the forum. I'll have to see how discussion is organized to see how much I'm going to browse once material starts getting officially released.
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow

I'm actually a little worried about that. After having listened to the snippets to death before ADTOE I've decided that I will not listen to anything this time, but I also don't want to give up browsing the forum. I'll have to see how discussion is organized to see how much I'm going to browse once material starts getting officially released.
I'm just going to stay away from anythread that has to do with snippets/singles. I don't even want to hear people's reactions. Trying to make septemper 24th as epic as possible! ;)

Offline dongringo

I'm just going to stay away from anythread that has to do with snippets/singles. I don't even want to hear people's reactions. Trying to make septemper 24th as epic as possible! ;)

This is my plan as well. ADTOE and the new QR releases were severely diminished by listening to everything snippet and song that were released ahead of the album. Not going to go there this time.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Please tell me that wonky picture is not the album cover. It looks like fan art, and that Majesty logo is so off shape.

Quote from many pages ago but that artwork isn't really my thing, looks like something I would've come up with using PS 7 and the eyecandy plugin.

I actually liked that cave picture.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

eh dubstep is just the newest thing to bash. it's a buzzword. im sure if jordan came up with the coolest electronic thing ever to complement a song, people would still hate it on the grounds of it belonging to a particular genre. things sound good/bad because they are good/bad. not because its called metal or dubstep

I like those little electronic things he does on Train of Thought. Dubstep is not music. My worse case of diarrhea sounds better than it.

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
I like those little electronic things he does on Train of Thought. Dubstep is not music. My worse case of diarrhea sounds better than it.

WTF is dubstep in DT? I know I'm naive!
Thanks,
Dave

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni

There can be some great chill dubstep out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDI6HTR9arA

On topic, those titles are really excited, usually when stuff like this comes out I just go "oh cool" and move on, but I'm fairly excited right now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Dubstep is fucking atrocious.  And i listen to a large variety of music.

Offline Flacracker

Prog Rock/Metal > 80's - 90's Hip-Hop > Other music

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
Dubstep is not music. My worse case of diarrhea sounds better than it.

im not even a dubstep fan. but statements like this are ridiculous

this dude is probably the biggest 'dubstep' maker (who knows, electronic fans are even worse about genre labeling than metal fans). the video is cool if the music isn't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cXDgFwE13g

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Your face is ridiculous.

How is my preference to listening to the sound of my painful diarrhea over dubstep ridiculous?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm going to repost this, this is some relaxed dubstep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDI6HTR9arA

Lots of genre's that may not seem interesting may have some gems hidden in them.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I'm going to repost this, this is some relaxed dubstep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDI6HTR9arA

Lots of genre's that may not seem interesting may have some gems hidden in them.

Well if you take out the dubstep which sounds exactly the same as in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cXDgFwE13g
you have a pretty nice relaxing piece of music.

Online fadetoblackdude7

I'll listen to the single, but only a couple times. I'm avoiding all snippets, due to overplaying them last time......completely ruined those parts when I heard the full songs.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member

Your face is ridiculous.

How is my preference to listening to the sound of my painful diarrhea over dubstep ridiculous?
not even sure this deserves another reply
-blank- is not music is the ridiculous thing to say. different strokes for different folks

also there's not even a chance stuff like that will be on DT12. even if it was it would be minimal. i just like kneejerk elitist reactions

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
BUT BUT.... OK fine.

Sure can't wait for the album.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
I'm excited for everything about this album... Except the artwork. Man is it bad.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Everyone said the same thing about ADTOE, and that ended up being miles better than anything post SFAM.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow

I'll listen to the single, but only a couple times. I'm avoiding all snippets, due to overplaying them last time......completely ruined those parts when I heard the full songs.
Exactly. I want the songs to sound completely new and fresh when I listen to them the first time.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Illumination Theory will be filled with Dubstep, like Muse's last album.
I know you're joking and everything, but just letting you know that aprox. only 1.5 minutes of Muse's The 2nd Law is "dubstep" per se, which are 1.5 minutes of a 3 minute song in an album with 13 songs.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
Illumination Theory will be filled with Dubstep, like Muse's last album.
I know you're joking and everything, but just letting you know that aprox. only 1.5 minutes of Muse's The 2nd Law is "dubstep" per se, which are 1.5 minutes of a 3 minute song in an album with 13 songs.
Still liked their older stuff wayyyy more

Offline Rattlehead

Dubstep is fucking atrocious.  And i listen to a large variety of music.

Agree 100% with this... I guess I only like prog metal too though. Better throw away the rest of my music collection.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
So...what happened to people notifying the band of the errors in the album art? Is that still a thing? Do you think they know? There's no way that it's intentional or supposed to be a terminator with a 90 degree angle.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
So...what happened to people notifying the band of the errors in the album art? Is that still a thing? Do you think they know? There's no way that it's intentional or supposed to be a terminator with a 90 degree angle.

I'm sure we'll get a slightly revised artwork if Octavarium and ADToE is any indication.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
1. FALSE AWAKENING SUITE
   i. Sleep Paralysis
   ii. Night Terrors
   iii. Lucid Dream
2. THE ENEMY INSIDE
3. THE LOOKING GLASS
4. ENIGMA MACHINE
5. THE BIGGER PICTURE
6. BEHIND THE VEIL
7. SURRENDER TO REASON
8. ALONG FOR THE RIDE
9. ILLUMINATION THEORY
   i. Paradoxe de la Lumière Noire
   ii. Live, Die, Kill
   iii. The Embracing Circle
   iv. The Pursuit of Truth
   v. Surrender, Trust & Passion

:|

:omg: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS NEW ALBUM IS AMAZING. TRACKLIST IS EVERYTHING I COULD HAVE WANTED, COVER ART LOOKS AMAZING.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline dongringo

It just needs to be blackened. How hard could it be to fix it?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Along For the Ride is the instrumental, Enigma Machine has John Myung writing lyrics. Calling it now.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Along For the Ride is the instrumental, Enigma Machine has John Myung writing lyrics. Calling it now.

Along for the Ride isn't the instrumental, because on the progress chart, there was a song with the working title of Along for the Ride which is the only name they kept, and it was listed as having vocals.

That wouldn't be good, because blackened is the end. :millahhhh

Offline PROGdrummer

1. FALSE AWAKENING SUITE
   i. Sleep Paralysis
   ii. Night Terrors
   iii. Lucid Dream
2. THE ENEMY INSIDE
3. THE LOOKING GLASS
4. ENIGMA MACHINE
5. THE BIGGER PICTURE
6. BEHIND THE VEIL
7. SURRENDER TO REASON
8. ALONG FOR THE RIDE
9. ILLUMINATION THEORY
   i. Paradoxe de la Lumière Noire
   ii. Live, Die, Kill
   iii. The Embracing Circle
   iv. The Pursuit of Truth
   v. Surrender, Trust & Passion

:|

:omg: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS NEW ALBUM IS AMAZING. TRACKLIST IS EVERYTHING I COULD HAVE WANTED, COVER ART LOOKS AMAZING.

Thats a refreshing change in this thread  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Everyone said the same thing about ADTOE, and that ended up being miles better than anything post SFAM.

lolno.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

Along for the Ride isn't the instrumental, because on the progress chart, there was a song with the working title of Along for the Ride which is the only name they kept, and it was listed as having vocals.

That wouldn't be good, because blackened is the end. :millahhhh
I think Along for the Ride has two possibilities: 1. It's the ballad of the album 2. It has a Surrounded/Innocence Faded vibe

Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?