Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905906 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

PLEASE DO NOT POST LINKS TO LEAKS OF ANY KIND.

Oh What The Heck...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8glwRaS8OM

See ya Later DTF.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!

Oh What The Heck...

See ya Later DTF.

I really want to cut and wash leeks now for some reason  :huh:

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
Why did I watch that....  :facepalm:

Ban him for wasting 2 and a half minutes of my life.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Oh What The Heck...

See ya Later DTF.

2 month temp ban for posting link to a leek.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol :rollin :lol

haha. " you have been banned for posting links to LEEKED material "

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Here's how to fix your leak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pATuUP2-g_I

Yeah, I'm overdoing. Sorry for the spam.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
:)  We've had our fun.  Let's get back sort of on topic now.  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Why do I get the feeling that this will be an immense album ?

Just has that vibe. Seems like they've really made something special this time.

Maybe they were purposefully holding off on ADTOE to make the next album something special.

Offline senecadawg2

Maybe they were purposefully holding off on ADTOE to make the next album something special.

Looking at the big picture, I think this is probably dead on.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
I'm starting to think that as well, I absolutely love the song titles, and they seem earnestly confident rather than trying to overhype. I like that. Could have gone with a different album cover but it's not life ending.

Offline dparrott

The DT font would look good in the metallic texture used in the majesty logo, maybe for the back/inside cover.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline eosforum

I predict that after a few listens some songs will be kinda meh (always in relevance to the high expctations) like in ADTOE, but the strong ones will become instant classics. I have this feeling Illumination Theory will melt our brains :metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Thanks to the modz for deleting my forbidden post...

sooo yea I can't wait for the single
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Illumination Theory will be filled with Dubstep, like Muse's last album.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?

Looking at the bigger picture, I think this is probably dead on.

Fixed. :neverusethis:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Please Jesus.

Please let Dream Theater stay the fuck away from Dubstep forever.

It's a slippery slope towards featuring guest rappers and being produced by so called Producers called " The Matrix " and " Red One ".

:puke:

Offline dparrott

Please Jesus.

Please let Dream Theater stay the fuck away from Dubstep forever.

It's a slippery slope towards featuring guest rappers and being produced by so called Producers called " The Matrix " and " Red One ".

:puke:

x100000  I'm all for DT exploring other areas, but this is not one of them.  PoW should be the limit.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
I HATE EVERYTHING BUT PROG METAL

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm honestly okay with them exploring any genre they want, as long as they don't overdo it. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline mellotron_scratch

*snip*
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:18:45 PM by bosk1 »

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
I'm honestly okay with them exploring any genre they want, as long as they don't overdo it.

Have they done jazz?
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

The electronic drum intros to songs on ADToE are the closest I want them to get to electro or EDM or Dubstep or w/e the fuck it's called next week.

Have they done jazz?

Parts of Lines In The Sand are quite jazzy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
*snip*

That has already been discussed earlier in the thread.  And if you suspect something might be a leak, why not thread through the thread before posting something you aren't supposed to post?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

:angry: :angry:

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni

Have they done jazz?

Well, I've always thought that Take the Time was pretty heavily influenced by elements of jazz, and I know JP's done some jazzy soloes in some live performances.  That's about all I can think of. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline mellotron_scratch

*snip*

That has already been discussed earlier in the thread.  And if you suspect something might be a leak, why not thread through the thread before posting something you aren't supposed to post?

Sorry, I didn't really want to look through 10 pages of unread stuff, that's why I said 'I don't know if anyone's posted this'. Didn't know that it's against the rules to mention a possible leak, I thought it was wrong only if you posted a link to a leak itself. Sorry for any misunderstandings  :)

Offline dparrott

Have they done jazz?

The few second break in the middle of TDEN is a little jazzy.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran

Have they done jazz?

Parts of Lines In The Sand are quite jazzy.

Scarred too.

Offline sueño

I must investigate....   :justjen
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Jazz is one genre I'd definitely be interested in hearing DT explore more.  I don't see it happening with this album, but, who knows? 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline sueño

I've been delighted at how much jazz and prog rock share in terms of time sigs and melodic structures, etc.

It would be fantastic.

Offline Polis

My guess is that it's going to be HEAVY heavy metal, especially because Mangini "is an animal" and his previous works were super heavy with annihilator and whatnot. Blastbeats, HWAAARRRRRGGGGgggs, 300 bpm double bass, 1-3 crashes per second, etc.

I have been sort of gravitating toward prog rock though, with neal morse's stuff- trans, SB, solo works. But if this is similar to Train of Thought in atmosphere or song structure, then I'm in.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
he might have to throw some blastbeats in to make up for the lackluster ones from ANTR

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
God I hate blast beats! Just say no when it comes to DT!

he might have to throw some blastbeats in to make up for the lackluster ones from ANTR
Thanks,
Dave

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I'm not really fond of blast beats, but I never had a problem with the way they were used in DT.