Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 906077 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Can we not just appreciate the fact that we have some updates to enjoy while we close the gap on September 24?
Can we not express our concern over an overlooked flaw that could be easily fixed before it makes it to the manufacturing stage?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline emtee

When you guys say "cutoff line" are you talking about the line bisecting the planet? If so it seems to me that it is intentional. Maybe
you are talking about something else I don't see.

Offline Setlist Scotty

When you guys say "cutoff line" are you talking about the line bisecting the planet? If so it seems to me that it is intentional. Maybe

The diagonal line as seen here:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
has anyone/should someone inform RR/DT about the cover? e.g. messaging the RR people on twitter about the line through the cover? maybe they can pass that on to whoever it concerns(?). I know it's only the cover but it might be worth drawing to their attention.

That is a very good point - has anyone done this? The cut off is so obvious.

I actually find it sad that people are getting so worked up by this album art issue that they're even considering the need to speak with DT's record label to address this "travesty"...  :facepalm:

Can we not just appreciate the fact that we have some updates to enjoy while we close the gap on September 24?
I absolutely HATE when they get hounded over not releasing info and announcements etc. In this particular case, in my opinion, there is an issue of product quality control. Even just typing that, I can see how that can come across as a little farfetched. In reality, someone is getting paid to do a half ass job for something that is essentially going to be purchased by however many thousands of people. By poor quality, I don't mean artistic laziness, I mean laziness of engaging in due diligence and professionalism for something that is considered a luxury good (not in the sense of high price, but in the sense that it's a superior good rather than an inferior good #microeconomicsanddreamtheatercoverwhatismylifeanyway)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:29:31 PM by atmyne »

Offline emtee

I honestly thought that was 100% intentional and represented the Terminator line which seperates the light from the dark and I
figured it played into the Illumination Theory in some way. It's far too obvious to be a flaw. Isn't it?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
I took it that way, too, emtee.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
Can we not express our concern over an overlooked flaw that could be easily fixed before it makes it to the manufacturing stage?

Honest question:  As a band, does Dream Theater have so much concern for what the masses think of their album covers?

If so, they are much more down-to-earth than I'd ever imagine a group of "celebrities" (for lack of a better word) would be.  As mentioned, I am a very new fan of this band but not of music/musicians in general.  I find it interesting that anyone would think they'd care what fans think about such things.

Most folks produce the music/art they want, when they want to, call the songs/titles whatever they wish and charge the prices they please for the privilege.

Maybe DT isn't like that....   ???

Maybe I'm just projecting my signature line....    :-\
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Online MarkFitDT

has anyone/should someone inform RR/DT about the cover? e.g. messaging the RR people on twitter about the line through the cover? maybe they can pass that on to whoever it concerns(?). I know it's only the cover but it might be worth drawing to their attention.

That is a very good point - has anyone done this? The cut off is so obvious.

I actually find it sad that people are getting so worked up by this album art issue that they're even considering the need to speak with DT's record label to address this "travesty"...  :facepalm:

Firstly, I certainly am not sad and neither am I worked up about it and if nothing is changed then it wont stop me from buying the CD. I do appreciate the information they are releasing but I fail to see what that has to do with the "issue". I can only speak for myself but I would like to think anybody who mentioned it to RoadRunner would be doing it to ask them to see if there is a valid issue and could they improve it before any booklets are printed etc. with a view to improving their end product.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Honest question:  As a band, does Dream Theater have so much concern for what the masses think of their album covers?

If so, they are much more down-to-earth than I'd ever imagine a group of "celebrities" (for lack of a better word) would be.  As mentioned, I am a very new fan of this band but not of music/musicians in general.  I find it interesting that anyone would think they'd care what fans think about such things.

For the guys in Dream Theater, the Dream Theater band is their livelihood and main source of income.

I think it should be pretty obvious that each member cares about the quality of their brand, and what their fans think of it. I don't think that makes them "typical celebrities" or less worthy of support at all. They are entertainers, not starving artists. 

There are people who do create art without any regard for what people think about it, but usually those people have cozy tenured positions in academia for when things don't work out.

Offline Setlist Scotty

I honestly thought that was 100% intentional and represented the Terminator line which seperates the light from the dark and I
figured it played into the Illumination Theory in some way. It's far too obvious to be a flaw. Isn't it?
Nah. If it were intentional, I'm sure it would be a bit more evident that this was what was meant. This is just a case of sloppy/hurried artistry, whether done by Syme or not. And as I mentioned before, unfortunately, Syme has gotten sloppy in recent years, which is a pity. So while my gut tells me that this wasn't done by Syme, it's quite possible that it was.

Not sure what the band thinks of discussions like this and whether it would be enough for them to get the cover art fixed or reworked. I know they certainly were concerned about what the masses thought of their Live Scenes From New York artwork so that they replaced the burning apple (with the NY skyline in flames) with a majesty symbol, but this is different.

But I'm sure they appreciate the fact that their fans are rabid enough to notice the little details like this. Of course it would be difficult, if not impossible for them to cater to every fan's wish, but when it comes to something like this, which is clearly a mistake and caught before the manufacturing stage, one would hope they'd take it to heart and realize it's a matter of the fans caring, not being a bunch of nitpicks.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
Well put and points taken, Scotty and PC!

Thank you!  :)
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Madman Shepherd

Sing something?!?!

The one thing that worries me is that we will have minimal James LaBrie lyrical contributions again and even though JP's lyrics were excellent on ADTOE, I really don't see the harm in giving James just ONE or ideally TWO more opportunities to write lyrics.

Secondly about the album cover, I haven't been keeping up with this thread too much because there is just too many posts but I will say this. 

A) *Normally* I get really fed up with the sheer amount of criticism and nitpicking people do to DT.  Conversation and opinions are fine but when people start portraying their ideas as fact (i.e. I know better than DT) it really gets annoying. 

B ) That said, I really hope they fix the cover art.  I mean, I didn't notice it at first...it looked pretty cool but everyone is right, that diagonal "cut" is really glaring.  Blob's woork looked pretty cool. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
OMGOMGOGMO and I found part 3!

*snip!*

Lots of info!

Hey, guys.  This is kind of borderline, so I'm not going to start dishing warnings out.  But if it's not released by RR or DT and someone happens to stumble upon something, don't post it or discuss it here before it is released.  I'm sure the band appreciates our enthusiasm, but let's be respectful of the fact that it isn't released for public consumption yet.  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
bosk is love. bosk is life.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

*snip!*

Lots of info!

Hey, guys.  This is kind of borderline, so I'm not going to start dishing warnings out.  But if it's not released by RR or DT and someone happens to stumble upon something, don't post it or discuss it here before it is released.  I'm sure the band appreciates our enthusiasm, but let's be respectful of the fact that it isn't released for public consumption yet.  Thanks.

That is what I cant understand - why upload these to Youtube and tell no-one for 3 weeks? if they are not for public consumption surely you wouldnt upload them in the first place.

Because often they will be uploaded in advance so they are ready to go, but kept private and then later shared/released on a certain schedule that coincides with the marketing plan for the album.  I don't think pt. 3 is meant to be found and viewed yet.  But I am trying to get clarification.  If I get a green light, then you guys are more than welcome to share it and discuss it. 

The videos are just UNLISTED, not set to PRIVATE.  ???

That could just be a mistake.  Just hold off.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
STOKED!!!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MarkFitDT

*snip!*

Lots of info!

That is what I cant understand - why upload these to Youtube and tell no-one for 3 weeks? if they are not for public consumption surely you wouldnt upload them in the first place.

Because often they will be uploaded in advance so they are ready to go, but kept private and then later shared/released on a certain schedule that coincides with the marketing plan for the album.  I don't think pt. 3 is meant to be found and viewed yet.  But I am trying to get clarification.  If I get a green light, then you guys are more than welcome to share it and discuss it. 

Thanks for explaining that.

Offline Deve

*snip!*

Lots of info!

Yeah, that's what I figured. Weird they'd have them as public videos that have not been announced through the usual PR channels. Seems like a mistake to me.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
The one posted on the previous page is now showing as private, so I guess it probably was a mistake to make them only unlisted.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Flacracker

Fuck did I miss it?

Offline sdfdsv

Well, I guess it actually was a mistake. I edited my first post

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
To the people that heard something: How awesome was it?

Pretty fucking awesome. Just a moment of right place, right time I guess. But I suppose I'll shut my mouth until it's officially released.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Well, the initial response I got to my email was along the lines of:

THEY SAW WHAT?!?!   :omg:

So, I think I can safely say that pt. 3 is off limits.  I'm trying to get clarification on which ones are okay and which ones are not, but I have a feeling the ones that aren't meant to be seen are going to be set to private now, so it won't be an issue. 

EDIT:  Yeah, confirmed.  Pt. 2 is off limits as well. 

Again, while your enthusiasm is understandable and appreciated, PLEASE DO NOT POST LINKS TO LEAKS OF ANY KIND.  Usually, we only have to worry about album leaks.  But it looks like the band and RR have a really cool series they have planned for the marketing schedule of the album, and I am sure it all planned out.  Please don't ruin the surprises if you manage to stumble upon something you are not supposed to see yet.

Offline Red_Queen

Pretty fucking awesome. Just a moment of right place, right time I guess. But I suppose I'll shut my mouth until it's officially released.
  :tup

Offline Deve

Since the videos were technically leaked, Rule 2 of the forum prohibits discussion of them.

Offline eosforum

Not really discussing the vids, but there was no snippet of the intro there actually. Anyway, someone screwed up and let the videos unprotected. I just really hope we didn't put any RR employee through a shitstorm :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, the initial response I got to my email was along the lines of:

THEY SAW WHAT?!?!   :omg:

That's beautiful! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
ahhh the strict rules. i always miss the cool stuff and pop in for the pages of half-planet discussions

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Randy's here.

Sorry, Randy.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
F*ck! I'm late to the party!
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline dodido253

DAMNIT .. I want to see this videos  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline mocool13

lol, kinda pissed I missed it. I'm not great at being at the right place at the right time.

Those who saw something, was it good?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Since the videos were technically leaked, Rule 2 of the forum prohibits discussion of them.
Based on rule 2, I now have to ban everyone, including myself and bosk, for discussion of the fact that these videos even exist.

Oh dear.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dacling

Based on rule 2, I now have to ban everyone, including myself and bosk, for discussion of the fact that these videos even exist.

Oh dear.

I knew it would come down to this. This is how I always wanted to go.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?

Oh dear.

Didn't bosk ban himself multiple times already?   :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco