Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 908933 times)

Offline FrostbiteZ

Have a feeling that the cover is a hoax and the real cover will be unveiled when we get closer to the album release. To me it looks more like a wallpaper than a albumcover

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Holy shit blob, that's amazing.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's a lot better, Blob.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
At this point I still like the original better than Blob's, but when he's done I'll make my final choice on what option I chose for the album in my phone!
May The Force Be With You.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Love the album cover, except for the already pointed out cut-out mistake. But at least I love the idea.

Like the track list too. Might sound a bit unusual at first but just like always I'll accept them as legit DT titles after a while. Can't wait for Illumination Theory, sounds awesome. I'm also excited about getting tracks with movements again. Since ADToE has no songs like that and BC&SL only has The Shattered Fortress which is like 0% original music we haven't really had a song with movements since Systematic Chaos.

Also, I am now exactly one album-cycle into my presence here on this forum. My first post was just after the track listing for ADToE was released in which I said I got a strong FII vibe from the song titles. This time I can't really think of another DT album that these titles remind me of, which is good.

Online Aefenwelg

The only thing I think the original does better than Blob's right now is the bright spot in the upper left corner.

Blob's is a lens flare that cuts horizontally all the way across the cover.
I assume it's supposed to be the Sun or something, so I think the light should radiate concentrically.

But other than that, super awesome job.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
I don't see any problem with the original artwork. It is what it is.  :facepalm:
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
And yet you don't see that earth cut off line that cuts through from the leftmost edge of the cover into the logo?
I don't usually care about album art, but I will say that, assuming the music is really good, listening to awesome music that you have been desperately waiting for, that came with poor quality cover art, is kind of like eating a gourmet piece of rich, layered chocolate cake with just the right amount of icing... on a paper plate using a plastic fork...

Well, to be fair, a paper plate and a plastic fork has never in my life prevented me from enjoying gourmet piece of rich, layered chocolate cake...

Dammit, now I want cake!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
the original is def. more consistent and nicer to me ...

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
We don't have any info about the packaging, but if the artwork is presented in a matte background with a glossy logo, maybe embossed, then i have my favorite DT cover art. I like the concept, but i'm not so sure i will like the final result.

Track list looks very promising. I am really hyped now.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
An ugliest artwork than ADTOE and SC ??

YES THEY DID!! :tup

But if the artwork's "poverty" is inversely proportional to the quality of the music, this should be a fucking great album :metal :yarr!!
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
The artifacts are just compression artifacts from being a jpg file brightened up, not because of the stock image used.

I've just started my own quick mockup of my idea of a "better" cover. Only just started this, and keep in mind this is from scratch, not editing the existing image. Only an hour or two of work in this.

Lens Flare!  Blob, of course you did. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
JJ Blob  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
On top of the Earth they need a clown riding a unicycle.  :yarr
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Those song titles are fucking amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
I really like the concept of the artwork, the execution is kinda sloppy though, with very little attention to detail. Except the reflection on the Majesty symbol, I love that, it's perfect

The tracklist ist just what it has been the last few times... it gets the speculative mind going - probably without ever getting close to what breed of song the track will eventually turn out to be. There are a few cool titles and I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun finding possible connections.

I'm slightly annoyed that BlobVanDam tackled an updated version of the cover preview before I could start working on one and pretty much did exactly what I would have tried to do, especially making the planet and the light more realistic and clean. :\ But then again... saved some time and I don't need to do it anymore, so thx! :D

I guess I'll have Blob's planet with a slightly reduced lens flare and his original shaped Majesty logo but glistening with the chrome texture and reflection of the version DT gave us. Oh and I would also add the band's name in the same chrome texture. And some chocolate cake for dessert.

And then bug DT until they use it. :xbones
The cover of course.
Not the cake.
My cake!

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
They aren't DTlike but they sound fucking epic.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Meh - I still prefer the original album cover.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
I don't see any problem with the original artwork. It is what it is.  :facepalm:

The only thing I'd change from the original is the cut-off. I prefer the look of the new Majesty logo and the more subdued look for the whole thing.

Also, I cannot understand why anyone would want to add the band name onto the cover. It'd only take away from how great the cover looks IMO.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.

I'm not getting the hate over a band daring to do a minor redesign of their symbol. As if it, or the band logo, or any aspect of their graphic design, has to remain static and eternal. I'm actually more amused that for a time people were threatening to call this the Purple Album because of that artwork on their FB page a few weeks ago. And redoing it to be better, then adding the hilarity of lens flare, just is the icing on this "prog nerds gotta nitpick" cake.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The idea for the album cover is really good, but it is a little sloppy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

I'm not getting the hate over a band daring to do a minor redesign of their symbol. As if it, or the band logo, or any aspect of their graphic design, has to remain static and eternal. I'm actually more amused that for a time people were threatening to call this the Purple Album because of that artwork on their FB page a few weeks ago. And redoing it to be better, then adding the hilarity of lens flare, just is the icing on this "prog nerds gotta nitpick" cake.

It's not about the logo staying the same, it's about the new design looking bad. I actually redesigned the logo for my go at the cover, but it still retains the elements of the original design that make it look nice.
And nobody was "threatening" to call the album the purple album, people just wanted a more distinctive and cool name than...... well, none at all. Just like the black or white album.

I love how every criticism that someone doesn't agree with is suddenly nitpicking.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yes, incredible.

OK, I was working yesterday and I'm not going back through 19 pages.

What exactly are the issues with the artwork? What's all this about the world being "cut"? How exactly is the Majesty symbol different?
I don't get it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human

It's not about the logo staying the same, it's about the new design looking bad. I actually redesigned the logo for my go at the cover, but it still retains the elements of the original design that make it look nice.
And nobody was "threatening" to call the album the purple album, people just wanted a more distinctive and cool name than...... well, none at all. Just like the black or white album.

I love how every criticism that someone doesn't agree with is suddenly nitpicking.

Because it is nitpicking. :lol I'm willing to admit I'm nitpicking too with my thoughts on others' recommendations to change the cover and with your take on it too. Having said that, I'm interested in seeing how yours turns up.

Still doesn't change the fact that we're all nitpicking here. :tup

Yes, incredible.

What exactly are the issues with the artwork? What's all this about the world being "cut"? How exactly is the Majesty symbol different?
I don't get it.

You don't want to know. Seriously. Get out and save yourself while you can, TAC! :lol
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
I totally wouldn't have noticed the difference between the logos if someone didn't point it out. I do think the one on the new album cover looks better than the old one though, so I'm more than happy with that. The logo has always been pretty cool, but the new version just makes it look "right".
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Yes, incredible.

I don't get it.
There's an image posted 2-3 pages back outlining all of it, scan for that. I don't want to repost it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

Because it is nitpicking. :lol I'm willing to admit I'm being nitpicky too with my thoughts on others' recommendations to change the cover and with your take on it too. Having said that, I'm interested in seeing how yours turns up.

Still doesn't change the fact that we're all nitpicking here. :tup

While we are focusing on every tiny detail here, I don't agree that it's all nitpicking. Sure, maybe I'm making it sound like a bit of a bigger deal than it is, but nitpicking implies that it doesn't matter, but to me the presentation of the album matters as part of the whole package, and to me that Majesty logo is truly hideous, and instantly different compared to the old one, no matter how much I get used to it. I don't have a problem with them updating the logo, except that the new logo isn't an improvement imo.

Of course it doesn't affect the quality of the music (hell, IaW has an awful cover, but the album is still amazing), but to me it's still part of the identity of the album, and loving the band as much as I do, I care enough to want their releases to be as good as they can be, in every aspect. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline dodido253

Nevermind ..
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:36:31 AM by dodido253 »

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
Bad idea to discuss about possible leaks and link to them.

Offline dodido253

Bad idea to discuss about possible leaks and link to them.

Just asking if this is a fake ..

Offline Thematt202

Someone's gonna get shouted at!
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
For the sake of your permanence here, remove the link as fast as you can.  ;)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Thematt202

Generally speaking, isn't it a rather large coincidence that files with track names on them only get leaked immediately after the official track list is revealed?  This would have been much more convincing had it been uploaded at any point prior to yesterday's announcement.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline therev

Hi guys.
My very first impression about the tracklist and the cover album yesterday, was soon splitted to rush's "hemispheres"
the tracklist composition and the 35th anniversary of this album, gave me a road about the DT " inspiration corner"..I like the cover, I hoped in a simple coverart just with the DT font and a black background, and here it is!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Generally speaking, isn't it a rather large coincidence that files with track names on them only get leaked immediately after the official track list is revealed?  This would have been much more convincing had it been uploaded at any point prior to yesterday's announcement.
Precisely, and the dude only joined youtube yesterday.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise