Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 908779 times)

Offline JRuivo

1. FALSE AWAKENING SUITE - A Mind Beside Itself Suite
2. THE ENEMY INSIDE - Innocence Faded
3. THE LOOKING GLASS - The Mirror
6. BEHIND THE VEIL - Lie
9. ILLUMINATION THEORY - Lifting Shadows off a Dream

Am I doin it right?  :biggrin: Am I unveiling what could be the beggining of the Awake/DT12 comparison theories?

Offline mellotron_scratch

Well...I've finally found out the news, and am very excited! :metal

While I'm not a huge fan of the cover, the tracklisting seems pretty good.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thr more I look at this cover, the more I see the cut of the world, it just seems like a piss poor attempt..

I really don't think it's the final product though. I don't see that being released. I'm sure they'll touch up on it!

So do I! It's really clear without brightness up! I'm just concerned as they released it as album art.... If they edit it I really hope they add the DT text...

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, honestly I like the concept, but that's all it is. A little more refinement, especially on the earth(?) would turn this from a fan-made cover* into a pretty slick looking cover that pops a bit more.

1. FALSE AWAKENING SUITE - A Mind Beside Itself Suite
2. THE ENEMY INSIDE - Innocence Faded
3. THE LOOKING GLASS - The Mirror
6. BEHIND THE VEIL - Lie
9. ILLUMINATION THEORY - Lifting Shadows off a Dream

Am I doin it right?  :biggrin: Am I unveiling what could be the beggining of the Awake/DT12 comparison theories?

I think we can hold off until we hear the music, though it would definitely spark some heated discussion if there were some glaring comparisons to be made.

What will probably happen is somebody will post a long list of plausible (but a stretch) comparisons, people getting angry defending the band, people getting angry defending their musical knowledge, PC perpetually talking about how DT aren't the band he thought they were, and Bosk1 handing out warnings and threatening (and probably using) the banhammer on occasion, etc.

:neverusethis:

*No offense given to the great fan-made work here, as quite a bit is more thought out than some official releases.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
So DT 13 will their pop album and DT 14 will be their Prog Rock Opus.

Offline dparrott

Cover....eh...too black & white for me.  The purple logo over the earth would be a lot better.

Has DT ever done a "performance video" (like Evenflow or Wherever I May Roam)?  It would be good for a second single, just film a concert.  Better than a "lyric video" I think.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
I am deeply excited for the whole album, but False Awakening Suite and Illumination Theory are VERY interesting to me. I suppose I'm always a bit more excited for the longer tracks, but I'm starting to sense that this might be something very special.

The wait continues...
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline jammindude

Really shocked by the reactions.

I think the album cover is absolutely AMAZING!  To have the band name on it, would completely RUIN it.   It's awesome exactly as it is.

It is one of the best album covers I have EVER seen from Dream Theater.   I think it's the best since Train of Thought (which I've decided is my favorite).

The track titles....I'm not that thrilled about.  I especially dislike the title of the epic, so I hope it will grow on me.   But the album cover is **SO** good, that it dispels any reservations I may have about the song titles. 

The new Majesty logo is incredible, and I would even say it is a vast improvement.     I'm really stoked for this. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
What is so different about the majesty symbol on this particular cover that makes it so offensive to some of our posters?  I've been staring at it and a picture of the old majesty symbol for a few minutes and I can't make out any appreciable difference. :lol

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
I like the cover, myself.  Prolly shouldn't talk as a noob -- but it looks cool and classy to me.

And WOW!!!  You guys are so PASSIONATE about it all!!!   :eek :omg: :eek   How is it more important than what the music sounds like...which no one has even heard, yet???

This is a fascinating social study.   :corn
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
I'm neutral about the cover, it's absolutely boring, but it's not bad either.
Tracklist sounds radular though.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
My main issue with the cover art is that I have no clue how to make it into an interesting forum theme right now.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
How about show the clown riding into a burning star?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Elephant balancing on top of it?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Question: does the phrase 'Illumination Theory' come from anywhere?  Like, is it some scientific principle I'm not familiar with, or did they just make it up?

And WOW!!!  You guys are so PASSIONATE about it all!!!   :eek :omg: :eek   How is it more important than what the music sounds like...which no one has even heard, yet???

It isn't more important than the music.  But we don't have the music yet, and until we do, you can bet that people here will analyze the hell out of what we do have.  :lol
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:58:03 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jammindude

How about show the clown riding into a burning star?
:rollin

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
My main issue with the cover art is that I have no clue how to make it into an interesting forum theme right now.

Just keep the BTS one, it's the only one I'll need :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline darkshade

Just checked thst the initials for each song don't clash with another and off the top of my head they don't :tup

Not a clash, but one of them gets pretty close: ALONG FOR THE RIDE

AFTR

ANTR

***Also, VERY EXCITED about DT12!!!

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?

It isn't more important than the music.  But we don't have the music yet, and until we do, you can bet that people here will analyze the hell out of what we do have.  :lol

:lol

Have fun with it.  It's a riot to read.  It's just never occurred to me to be so "involved" in an album cover!  ;) 

Hope it sounds good.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Just keep the BTS one, it's the only one I'll need :)

Don't worry.  All existing themes will remain available.  The only reason we don't have the old pre-ADTOE themes is because the old themes are not supported by the new forum software upgrade. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline darkshade

What live album?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
The thing that makes me a bit excited for this is how unusual it is for the band. The titles aren't what you'd expect, the album art is certainly not what you would expect, and for me, that makes this whole venture a bit refreshing. I feel as though there's potential for this album to be a classic.

Offline showdonttell

• So energy! Powah!
"Illumination Theory" sounds like it's going to be incredibly epic.
https://www.last.fm/user/kokocijo

So, I'm chasing these doves down the street and she's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then when the magician comes back from Europe, two of them turned brown!  Well I followed the instructions!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
I like the album art and think its neat they dropped the DT text and went wih the chromed out Majesty symbol. This is a 'self titled' album that seems to have come full circle with no real 'title', only the symbol that has come to represent 'Dream Theater'.....selected when they were 'Majesty'

As far as track names...could care less if they were called 'Song 1...and so on' or if they picked out if the ordinary abstract combination words like they've done. I'm willing to wager this album is going to make a lot of people happy.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jammindude

From an outsiders perspective...

Both my wife and my step son said it looked like a teaser poster for a really major sci-fi epic film...like this generation's "2001"....   They meant it in a good way.   They both thought the cover was really cool.

Offline gibbs1245

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuw-25y6GC4

^^I remember watching this two years ago, and completely losing my mind from excitement. They definitely need to do something similar for DT12, having a brief track by track description.  :metal  :metal
“I am not religious, more like a thinking, open-minded individual. Religions and their dogmas are not necessarily bad. Human beings interpreting them are.”
― Tuomas Holopainen

Offline Rattlehead

I see a lot of people aren't happy with us criticizing the album cover  :lol Agree or disagree, that's what a forum is for. This place would be boring if there weren't people that call it like it is  :biggrin:

Offline jammindude

I see a lot of people aren't happy with us criticizing the album cover  :lol Agree or disagree, that's what a forum is for. This place would be boring if there weren't people that call it like it is  :biggrin:

I love you...

Offline Rattlehead

In the grand scheme of things, the album cover means very little to me. I don't think it's awful, I just don't really care for it. As I said before, it doesn't make me any less excited to hear the album for the first time  :tup

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I really dig the concept of the album cover, but I hope they fix that out of focus earth lying on the background. It looks very amateur-ish.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline dongringo

Love the album cover and the song titles. Can't wait!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )