Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905925 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
When I first signed up here it was my understanding - or maybe hope, I should say...  that this place would be where Dream Theater got a lot of love and praise. I quickly came to understand that I was wrong  :lol

I mean, come on guys.... the album is not even out....  feels a lot of nitpicking to me...   :)

and we know DT has a good track record of releasing "complete experiences" ... we could maybe wait for the album to come out and see how the artwork relates to the concept...

OMG.. did I just say concept?  :omg:

inb4 I get told off by Blob  :P

Agreeeeed  :metal

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
The music will be the paint. your ears and mind will be the canvas. ergo who gives a shit about the cover?  :lol
I'm guessing one of the sections in the suite will be instrumental noodliness ala itpoe pt2/8vm/overture 1928. same with one of the sections in the illumination theory. With the exception of the track that is entirely instrumental, the rest will be just beautiful songwriting.

Offline Dream Team

I guess I'm one of the few who didn't mind the purple motif, but I'm not one to get too worked up about it either way. They could put a close-up of an elephant's anus on the cover and I wouldn't care as long as the music was good. Speaking of which, I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing this. I hope they gave James some great vocal melodies to work with.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Really digging the tracklist. As for the artwork, it fits the idea of a self-named album: here we are, telling who we are to the world (i'd like to remind them that if you want the world to recognise who you are, to tell your name could be an help). Anyway, excited as before.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
^^^Yes, already!!!  :)
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I guess I'm one of the few who didn't mind the purple motif, but I'm not one to get too worked up about it either way. They could put a close-up of an elephant's anus on the cover and I wouldn't care as long as the music was good. Speaking of which, I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing this. I hope they gave James some great vocal melodies to work with.

Maybe that's what we're staring at and not the Earth  :o
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline robwebster

Right, let's place bets - who's gonna be the first to propose a really fucking hokey theory that this is all an autobiographical concept album covering the first twenty years of Dream Theater's career?

Time's up, it's me!! The Enemy Inside is about David Prater cursing Images and Words with its triggered snares, the Looking Glass is Awake, and how could Illumination Theory be about anything other than the Octavarium subforum?

The music will be the paint. your ears and mind will be the canvas. ergo who gives a shit about the cover?
Me, I increasingly think it's lovely.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Right, let's place bets - who's gonna be the first to propose a really fucking hokey theory that this is all an autobiographical concept album covering the first twenty years of Dream Theater's career?

Time's up, it's me!! The Enemy Inside is about David Prater cursing Images and Words with its triggered snares, the Looking Glass is Awake, and how could Illumination Theory be about anything other than the Octavarium subforum?

It's a concept about Kevin Moore. He secretly re-joined the band and wrote the entire album.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
I love this album cover. It's exactly what I was hoping it would be, and it's the first nice, simple cover since Six Degrees. And the titles seem slightly out of character, but in a good way... It'll be interesting to see how the multi-part songs end up.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
The idea of KevMo writing songs with titles like Illumination Theory and Enigma Machine at this point in his career makes me chuckle :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
He did it so no one would know.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
The idea of KevMo writing songs with titles like Illumination Theory and Enigma Machine at this point in his career makes me chuckle :lol
Ditto :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
It seems possible to me that there is a theme of 'Theater of the Mind/Dream' with these titles but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that doesn't pan out.

I think the cover is fine and I note that there is enough room at the bottom to add the band name at printing time or emboss the band's logo, which I think would be very cool.

I prefer the new logo over the old and agree with MoraWintersoul and Sir Webster that the band has every right (if not obligation) to change the logo over time.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the album and hope to get snippets during the next two months!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
So...maybe we won't have a "light" forum theme this album cycle.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Actually the thought of him writing songs like those at any point is funny :D

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
So...maybe we won't have a "light" forum theme this album cycle.  :lol

:lol Well, there could certainly be a light theme in regards to the titles of the subforums and other details! :lol

It would appear that Black is the new Black. ;) :lol :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
1.I don't like the cover. Just putting that out there.
2.The song titles sound pretty fake. But they are not. It really sounds more badass this way though.
3.Illumination Theory is gonna be fucking awesome with JMX lyrics.

Overall:Even though the cover looks lame to me,I feel like this is gonna be a *sigh* top 3 DT release. I voted Top 5 in the poll but then I remembered that ADTOE IS in my top 5. So,now that Mangini is in full force,they can do something Top 3 worthy. And even ALBUM OF DA YEAR!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Actually the thought of him writing songs like those at any point is funny :D

Live, Die, Kill (Now Watch What Happens)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
Hey guys! First time actually posting, but I've been lurking since the Roadrunner incident last thread! Glad to be aboard now!  :yarr

Regarding the album cover, I personally think it fucking rocks. I think it's sharp and visually striking. It also looks extremely different from their other covers, which kind of ties back to the whole "we're reinventing ourselves" theme that seems to be recurring here.

As for the titles, I think they're fantastic! I've been crossing my fingers for a concept/theme album for a while now. SDOIT is the first DT album I listened to so I have a soft spot for those kinds of albums. Can't wait to hear what these will sound like. SEPTEMBER, Y U NO HERE?
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline Frank

They could put a close-up of an elephant's anus on the cover

Could somebody please do this?
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Hey guys! First time actually posting, but I've been lurking since the Roadrunner incident last thread! Glad to be aboard now!  :yarr

Regarding the album cover, I personally think it fucking rocks. I think it's sharp and visually striking. It also looks extremely different from their other covers, which kind of ties back to the whole "we're reinventing ourselves" theme that seems to be recurring here.

As for the titles, I think they're fantastic! I've been crossing my fingers for a concept/theme album for a while now. SDOIT is the first DT album I listened to so I have a soft spot for those kinds of albums. Can't wait to hear what these will sound like. SEPTEMBER, Y U NO HERE?

I agree with all you just said and welcome to the forums!  :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Dream Theater self titled album speculation and discussion thread
« Reply #441 on: July 09, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »
I prefer the new logo over the old and agree with MoraWintersoul and Sir Webster that the band has every right (if not obligation) to change the logo over time.
And it's not like it changed, really. It's just been redesigned. I mean, it's not like the logo itself is different. It's just designed in a different style. People aren't going to look at it and go, "That's not the DT logo. Must be some other band."[/quote]
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline lithium112

Is anyone else a bit put off by this phrase?

Quote from: Dream Theater
We’ve fully explored all of the elements that make us unique

It seems odd for a musician to claim that they've "fully" explored something. Where is there to go from there?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland

:welcome:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I am still wondering if this could end up being a double album...  Given that the first and last songs could both end up being pretty long, you never know.
...or the songs between the epics could be short ;) If it was a double album, I bet it would've been mentioned in the press release, or at least there would've been tracklists for two discs.

You never know.  When we got the tracklisting for Scenes, there was nothing said about it being a concept album or Metropolis Part II, so the band is no stranger to keeping some things secret until the last minute.  I think it would be neat if it was a double album, but no one knew it until the album dropped.

I actually have a feeling this album might even end up being under an hour long. :omg:

That wouldn't bother me at all.  I&W is under an hour and every minute of it is amazing.

Offline senecadawg2

Hey guys! First time actually posting, but I've been lurking since the Roadrunner incident last thread! Glad to be aboard now!

Welcome! This certainly is a good time to be a board ;)
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.

It seems odd for a musician to claim that they've "fully" explored something. Where is there to go from there?

Well, maybe they mean as of right now. Bands obviously grow and evolve over time. In two years, they might think there's more to explore.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity

Hmm. I'm a bit too, but I'm going to reserve judgement.

Mora, that's equal parts terrifying and adorable. :D
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
I am still wondering if this could end up being a double album...  Given that the first and last songs could both end up being pretty long, you never know.
...or the songs between the epics could be short ;) If it was a double album, I bet it would've been mentioned in the press release, or at least there would've been tracklists for two discs.

You never know.  When we got the tracklisting for Scenes, there was nothing said about it being a concept album or Metropolis Part II, so the band is no stranger to keeping some things secret until the last minute.  I think it would be neat if it was a double album, but no one knew it until the album dropped.
Yeah, but Scenes isn't a double album. I didn't become a DT fan until 2009, so I need to ask whoever was a fan in 2001/2002: when the tracklist for Six Degrees was announced, was it revealed that it would be a double album? I mean, were there tracklists for disc 1 and disc 2?

Offline emtee

Love the cover. Song titles seem majestic.

Bring it on!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Yeah, but Scenes isn't a double album. I didn't become a DT fan until 2009, so I need to ask whoever was a fan in 2001/2002: when the tracklist for Six Degrees was announced, was it revealed that it would be a double album? I mean, were there tracklists for disc 1 and disc 2?

I was around for that, but I honestly cannot remember the way the track listing was announced. 

Offline aprilethereal

13 pages? Seriously? :D

I'm so incredibly excited right now :metal :D :caffeine:

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Wish the background of the artwork was a bit more crisp, but either way, it makes me want to refer to DT12 as Majesty:metal

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
I was hoping for a more laid-back proggy album.
Although it seems like it's gonna be really heavy, like, fucking heavy as shit. I'm hyped.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni

This is what I meant earlier when I said the actual cover could be embossed with the band name. Or some thing like it.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens