Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905832 times)

Offline Sycsa

The titles really pumped me up, reminiscent of the '70s prog that I love oh so well. The cover is great, but what's with the black line on the left?

I just want to refer to this album as "The Metallic Album".
That definitely won't catch on. Dark album has a better chance because of its looks and the Dark Side of the Moon connection (milestone prog album, no text on the cover) and then we could make Spinal Tap jokes about it.  :biggrin:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I think the cover looks fantastic. I'm not going to complain about the differences in the logo, because I've never looked at the logo close enough for this to bother me now. It's simple, classy, and direct.

As for the tracklist, I'm very excited. The two epics both have me quite intrigued, and I'm especially looking forward to the lyrics in the latter. The only one I'm having a lukewarm response to is  Surrender to Reason. It feels... meh

Are you assuming that the two songs that have sections are epics? Because several DT songs have sections like that, and aren't considered epics, like TOT, every song of the 12SS etc. It does imply a somewhat longer song, but not necessarily an epic in the sense that we use it on DTF.

I was kind of hoping for more along the lines of suites and the like, so I'm excited for that whatever it is.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Not liking the cover art. Put the damn band name on there. I wouldn't mind the Majesty logo if it didn't look like a melty chrome mess.

Very interesting track list though. Still excited.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline robwebster

Nice cover and 2 epic? :omg: Instaboner!!!
Doubt it - if I had to guess, I think False Awakening thingybob is probably the Intro track.

Not convinced by the cover, but the track titles, though far more... lavish than DT's usual stuff, are incredibly intriguing for exactly that reason. Seriously, Dream Theater have a song called "Paradox de la Lumiere Noire?!" They're usually so literal! Brilliantly weird. I can't wait.

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
The Majesty symbol seems to just have been reworked. Whatever the reason, I'm much more pumped at the song names! They seem to be having a unified theme to them. Very dreamy, or dare I say Dream Theateryyy?  ;D

Also the song names somehow remind me of Haken's Visions. A somewhat similar mood, but it is probably unintentional.

Offline senecadawg2

I think the cover looks fantastic. I'm not going to complain about the differences in the logo, because I've never looked at the logo close enough for this to bother me now. It's simple, classy, and direct.

As for the tracklist, I'm very excited. The two epics both have me quite intrigued, and I'm especially looking forward to the lyrics in the latter. The only one I'm having a lukewarm response to is  Surrender to Reason. It feels... meh

Are you assuming that the two songs that have sections are epics? Because several DT songs have sections like that, and aren't considered epics, like TOT, every song of the 12SS etc. It does imply a somewhat longer song, but not necessarily an epic in the sense that we use it on DTF.

I was kind of hoping for more along the lines of suites and the like, so I'm excited for that whatever it is.

Yeah, I should have specified. I don't mean epic in the sense of ACOS and 8varium. More along the lines of Trial of Tears, which I still consider to be an epic (in sound, if not in length). I'll be ecstatic if the opening track is on par with Trial of Tears.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline senecadawg2

Of course, the FAS might not be an epic at all. But those three sections certainly have me thinking something in the 9-15 minute range.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

Yeah, I should have specified. I don't mean epic in the sense of ACOS and 8varium. More along the lines of Trial of Tears, which I still consider to be an epic (in sound, if not in length). I'll be ecstatic if the opening track is on par with Trial of Tears.

You wouldn't think a suite could be all too short, right? This tracklist has me scratching my head, in the best possible way.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mocool13

Why are people upset by not having "Dream Theater" on the cover? I love the minimalist cover and having the name would clutter the artwork. If you want to see their name you're gonna have to look on the side of the CD case, sorry.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
D = 4
T = 20
   = 24

DTDT = 48
8 + 4 = 12.

All makes sense now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I am still wondering if this could end up being a double album...  Given that the first and last songs could both end up being pretty long, you never know.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
Paradoxe de la Lumière Noire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olbers%27_paradox
I smell some astrology
woah Olber's paradox is freakin' awesome! XD
Why are people upset by not having "Dream Theater" on the cover? I love the minimalist cover and having the name would clutter the artwork. If you want to see their name you're gonna have to look on the side of the CD case, sorry.
OK. With this particular album art, if their name was on the cover it would look hella cheezy. The logo was a good choice, I hoped they would do it, and i'm glad they actually went for it!

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
My first thought about the titles was exactly that.. Awake vibe.

After all, what's another name for "The Looking Glass"?  ;D

Why are people upset by not having "Dream Theater" on the cover? I love the minimalist cover and having the name would clutter the artwork.

I agree. I like that there's no band name on the cover. I'm sure people who are interested in this album will know what it is. Especially since music stores tend to put a tab for each band. So it's not like people are gonna go, "Gee, I don't know what band this is, so I'm not gonna buy it." If anything, the mysterious nature of the cover might be intriguing.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Dream Team

Any predictions on ballads?  I would guess atleast one, best guess being The Looking Glass

All tracks have electric guitar, but I guess that doesn't rule out "ballad" in some sense.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
I am still wondering if this could end up being a double album...  Given that the first and last songs could both end up being pretty long, you never know.
...or the songs between the epics could be short ;) If it was a double album, I bet it would've been mentioned in the press release, or at least there would've been tracklists for two discs.

Offline 425

"The nine-track disc was recorded..."

I think there's no chance of that now.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
I would think that they'd announce that by now.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
I predict that The Looking Glass will feature the words:

Alice, Cheshire, grin, hearts..

Possibly Tweedledum or Tweedledee  :laugh:

Offline Frank

Looks like Syme to me, aside from not knowing why he'd up end with a different logo. Swap out the correct logo, and I think it's the best album cover since ToT. As it is though, it bugs me enough that I don't even like looking at it.

Blob, thanks for your help in detailing your problems with the logo design. Your picture was especially extremely helpful.

That being said, what are you going to do when DT comes to you and asks you to do graphics for them again? Would you express these opinions to them and design your graphics the way you think they should be done, the "official" art be damned? Especially given that you apparently don't even like looking at it!

And I've always been curious why DT doesn't just turn to you by default. :lol
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human

This. Also, I think it's actually rather terrific to see a self-titled album that doesn't include the band name on the album cover.

The band is really making some rather bold statements with this album. From the decision to make the album a self-titled release, to the more lavish and mystical song titles, to the minimalist styled art cover, to opening the album with a suite?

I'm getting a really strong 'prog' vibe from this announcement, and I couldn't be more excited. :metal :tup

Highly unlikely. According to that Roadrunner podcast someone else linked earlier, there's going to be songs on this album that are under five minutes long (and confirmed a twenty minute long epic).

I actually have a feeling this album might even end up being under an hour long. :omg:
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
The instrumental song could be a short segue between two other tracks.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline senecadawg2

I hope theres one solid ballad, and that they leave it at that. ADTOE had too many, IMO.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human

You wouldn't think a suite could be all too short, right? This tracklist has me scratching my head, in the best possible way.

That's my favorite thing about prog rock/metal. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
My assessment is that the tracklist looks shiny.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

If two songs are 20 mins. That leaves 7 at around 5 mins. That still adds up to 75

Offline robwebster

Here are all my thoughts. By Rob. Age 23 and a half.

First off - not sold on the cover, but I can see it growing on me. I like the minimalism, and it's very classy, but there's no new imagery. I found that a little depressing when the title was unveiled (I think the phrase I used at the time was "The title is... there is no title!!" and I find the cover art underwhelming in a similar way, but I think a bit of that is because I got my hopes up.

Fortunately, the song titles more than make up for the disappointing lack of imagery between the cover and the album title. Crikey, they're interesting. A far, far cry from the generally-quite-literal titles Dream Theater usually use. Some of them sound rather more Musey (good thing in my book) - and, gratuitous French?! Mad. This is not the tracklist I was expecting, but it's a tracklist I'm very very happy with.

I didn't expect myself to be excited by songs packed with ordinal sections, or what is clearly an over-twenty minute epic, (confirmed by the RoadRunner podcast, ladies and gents!) but here I am, genuinely galvanised. I have a good feeling about Illumination Theory. I think it's going to be a little less ItPoE and Count of Tuscany, a little more Octavarium - got a hunch it might be a top-tier epic, rather than a pseudo-epic.

That said, if I was surprised to be happy about epics, it's also fair to say I'm happy to be surprised by songs under five minutes. It's the news I never dared hope for. I think Dream Theater would make some killer four-minuters. I really dig that concise, laser-focused approach to songwriting, and I cannot wait to hear DT pull it off.

I am excited. This feels special.

Other minutiae: I think False Awakening Suite is probably "Intro" from the whiteboard. Illumination Theory is almost definitely the epic. No idea on the others, but I'd like to think The Enemy Inside is Bad Larry. Just so's we have a name for the enemy.

Lyricists... I'll try and figure out later.

Offline senecadawg2

Alright people, how about favorite track name?

I really like the sound of Behind the Veil

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

Enigma Machine or Illumination Theory :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline senecadawg2

When will we get the track lengths?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Cool cover. Sleek and simple, just the way I like it.

Now bring on the snippets!!!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
The False Awakening Suite sounds like it could be an instrumental. Like they were creating their title track on the title CD, and decided to get more creative.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
I am not at all bothered that they changed the logo. I mean, it's their fucking logo, they have the right to change it.

My thoughts on this can be summed up as:
My assessment is that the tracklist looks shiny.
and that's all there is to it :lol honestly, it does look really prog and DSOTMish, but that still doesn't tell me one god damned thing about the music, and if they went for the unexpected with the music as well as they did with the titles (these are really not "regular" 00's/10's DT titles), that's all the more reasons for me not to bust my brain over these.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline senecadawg2

Enigma Machine or Illumination Theory :metal

That one sounds heavy to me

Offline robwebster

I am not at all bothered that they changed the logo. I mean, it's their fucking logo, they have the right to change it.
Word. Loads of logos go through multiple stylistic iterations. Change is good.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
I wonder if they just announce speculative things in need of minor tweaks to see how many people here pick up on planets not being complete. Either way, this press release has me excited, and I like the look of the multipart suites.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D