Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905850 times)

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
I think it could end up being a thematic album (which IS different from a concept album), which is what I was hoping for.

Agreed.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Looks like Syme to me, aside from not knowing why he'd up end with a different logo. Swap out the correct logo, and I think it's the best album cover since ToT. As it is though, it bugs me enough that I don't even like looking at it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
And add the band name (with the correct font).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Labrie1984

Cover art and tracklisting are freaking great but...I was expecting a single. I need to listen to some minutes of what's about to come.  I'm disappointed.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
That too. DT's font in chrome would look pretty badass.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like Syme to me, aside from not knowing why he'd up end with a different logo. Swap out the correct logo, and I think it's the best album cover since ToT. As it is though, it bugs me enough that I don't even like looking at it.

How is that not the correct logo?  It's the majesty logo embossed.  I'm looking at them side by side and they seem to be pretty much exactly the same only with silver and an emboss effect.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Illumination Theory = JMX lyrics   :corn
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
I just came here to post this.  Dammit you guys are fast.

You'd basically have to post it here before it's posted anywhere else.  :angel:

Thanks anyways, it was thoughtful of you to come here to post this.  :tup

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
A few thoughts:

1. The artwork - does that make this the Black Album?

2. The first track is a 3-part suite? Seems unlikely that would be what we previously knew as "Opening". But then there are still 9 tracks... did Easter Egg become a song, did something else get split up...?

3. Why on earth does anyone think the titles imply that it's a concept album? I mean, I'm not saying it's definitely not, but the titles mostly have nothing to do with each other.

4. At least from this, it definitely seems as though they are playing it less safe this time around, which is very exciting. Of course, whether that's the case with the music itself remains to be seen.

1. Yes.

2. I think the section called Sleep Paralysis could be the "Opening".

3. I just think the proggy titles lend themselves to its being concept album, however mad that sounds. I know it's based on absolutely nothing. Simply a vibe I've had about this album all along.

4. Agreed, which can only be a good thing in my opinion. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
That too. DT's font in chrome would look pretty badass.

Something like this?

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
I have the most massive prog boner right now.

This. I absolutely love the song titles, and that they're splitting things into movements again. The last song seems like it's gonna be epic as hell.

The funny thing is that last night, I had a dream that I was at a very small and intimate Evening with DT concert, and it was super informal, to such extent that James was singing without a mic, because his voice was too powerful for such a small venue, haha. And then I wake up to this. Can't complain!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think it needs the band name on it at all.   We all know what the symbol means and adding anything else to the cover starts to detract from the design.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

How is that not the correct logo?  It's the majesty logo embossed.  I'm looking at them side by side and they seem to be pretty much exactly the same only with silver and an emboss effect.

The existing Majesty logo is not that elipsoid or that flat, and the "tails" are not supposed to be that flat and sharp. And the existing logo is not symmetrical vertically.
Also, it just looks plain off.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
As long as they don't go full Wilson on us and don't include lyrics in the booklet I'm happy.:)
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Why can't they just hire one of us to do the artwork? Seems like Syme is doing sloppy work on purpose or something. That Majesty symbol looks goofy now that I'm at my computer and can see a bigger version of it.

Eh, not sure about that cover art. The tracklist looks like something you'd see in the fake tracklist thread.

Interesting indeed.
Well, keep in mind that new DT artwork/tracklisting always leads to moments of disbelief followed by tons of speculation that always turns out to be wrong.

Remember when people thought ToT was going to be a really religious album? :D

I wasn't a fan at that time.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Not a fan of the cover at all, for a wide variety of reasons, but the track list definitely has my interest. Looking forward to this.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
A few thoughts:

1. The artwork - does that make this the Black Album?

2. The first track is a 3-part suite? Seems unlikely that would be what we previously knew as "Opening". But then there are still 9 tracks... did Easter Egg become a song, did something else get split up...?

3. Why on earth does anyone think the titles imply that it's a concept album? I mean, I'm not saying it's definitely not, but the titles mostly have nothing to do with each other.

4. At least from this, it definitely seems as though they are playing it less safe this time around, which is very exciting. Of course, whether that's the case with the music itself remains to be seen.

1. I was thinking 'Dark Side of the Theater' or 'Dark Side of the Dream' myself. :biggrin: :lol

2. Eh, Idk. Could be that the first part is a musical opening.

3. I'm not sure myself. I could see it being a thematic album though.

4. Indeed.

Cover art and tracklisting are freaking great but...I was expecting a single. I need to listen to some minutes of what's about to come.  I'm disappointed.

Why were you expecting a single in the first place? The only confirmed things to be announced today were the artwork and track list, if memory serves me right.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
And phone wallpaper changed.....

Fuck yes. I'm so goddam stoked right now!!!!!!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow!

Cannot wait! Those are some badass song titles!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Why can't they just hire one of us to do the artwork? Seems like Syme is doing sloppy work on purpose or something. That Majesty symbol looks goofy now that I'm at my computer and can see a bigger version of it.

They can keep Syme doing the artwork, they just need us to proof-check it before it's finalized. :lol
Then maybe the DT writing wouldn't have been wrong on ADTOE either...

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni

The existing Majesty logo is not that elipsoid or that flat, and the "tails" are not supposed to be that flat and sharp. And the existing logo is not symmetrical vertically.

I think this one actually looks better than the old one.  Maybe they just wanted an updated take on the logo?  Either way, this cover is way better than the last 3 for sure, I think.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
As long as they don't go full Wilson on us and don't include lyrics in the booklet I'm happy.:)
why no lyrics?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline 425

Anyone want to predict which one has John Myung lyrics?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Behind the Veil.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
DICKSHIT HYPING FUCKNIPPLES DAT SUM GOOD TITLES

I'm really excited for what may come here :metal

Offline Frank

I have the most massive prog boner right now.

Absolutely this. I'm fucking pumped now. I agree, the song titles are pretentious, and I could honestly do without the French, but hey, maybe it'll make sense, and if it doesn't so long as the music is good I don't care. The not-DT-esque song titles are actually a good sign for me. It looks like we're really going to get something not safe, and subsequently, something absolutely amazing. I'm also surprised that we're opening up with a multi-part track given what we knew before. The only thing I'm personally missing now is the ability to buy the damn thing.

And though I do understand Blob's feelings regarding no "Dream Theater"on the cover art, I think aesthetically it looks gorgeous and I'll be holding out for a high quality version of it.
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I didn't expect any of this at all....

WOW!!!!!!!!

The cover is amazing, the song titles are great. The artwork fits the titles. If my guesses are right, based off the cover and titles,  This is gonna be amazing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I think this one actually looks better than the old one.  Maybe they just wanted an updated take on the logo?
Apparently every little thing has to be exactly the same, to the pixel, every single time the band releases anything. So, no. :D

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human

I'm guessing either Behind the Veil or Illumination Theory.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

I think this one actually looks better than the old one.  Maybe they just wanted an updated take on the logo?  Either way, this cover is way better than the last 3 for sure, I think.

But a few minutes ago, you couldn't even tell the difference between the logos side by side. :lol

It looked nasty to me when it was the purple design, and it still looks nasty to me now. If you're using your logo as the only defining image on a self titled album cover, at least stick to the same one you've identified yourself by for your entire career. This logo design looks like fan art to me, and is a huge downer on an otherwise beautifully simple design. I'd love it if they fixed that, and would easily be one of their best covers but for that.

Online nikatapi

I'll say there are 2 songs with JM lyrics. The Bigger Picture and Illumination Theory.

Offline 425

Behind the Veil.

I think either that one or The Looking Glass (which has the possibility for water imagery :biggrin: ).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline lyfeternl

New desk top background deployed...

New iPhone wallpaper/lockscreen activated...
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
At least there's no unicyclist this time. What are you going to animate for them now, Blob?