Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905908 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
In the past haven't they actually specifically announced a date for the single release beforehand? Doesn't seem like the kind of thing to just spring onto people out of the blue.

I'm only expecting a tracklist, and album cover, and maybe another studio vid.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
Was the vynal of the album available on its own last time round? Like as one of the first packages you could pre-order?
For that matter do modern DT albums sound good on vynal? Totally want to listen to this for the first time on vynal  :biggrin:

As I ordered the Deluxe box which contained the album on vinyl I didn't pay that much attention to whether or not it was available on vinyl from the very beginning but I think that it was. And yes, they sound quite good. :)

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
I prefer them to release the video only, love the CSI work. Maybe hide the artwork and some more midi screenshots.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
A new DT single would brighten my day  :biggrin:

Offline Meatrose

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know if I really want a single to be honest. The more "previously unheard" material I have to dig into at the actual release the better. It's not like I wouldn't listen to a single should one be released though as I am very interested in knowing how the finished product sounds. A snipped would probably do though.

Edit: Oh and I know that I could always just decide not to listen to the single, the problem is that I know that I'm too weak.  :laugh:

Offline mikidream

Hi guys, as you can see it is my first post, but I have been reading the DT forum for months since I moved to UK (I'm Italian). It is also a good exercise for me to practice my English  ;D... anyway I will introduce myself in the appropriate section.

I have two considerations related to this thread:

- when we received the artwork for ADTOE, if I am not wrong, we have seen the DT's official website changing a little bit some days before the official release of the artwork. But now there is no sign of it. It seems a little bit weird to me that they could release the new artwork keeping the old one in DT's website.

- I have this feeling that the instrumental song could be titled "dream theater" (a self-titled song in a self-titled album!) what do you think? Would it be possible?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
I also prefer not to have a single prior to the album release.  I wouldn't mind a sampler of 20 or 30 second snippets from each track though  :hat

Offline Ad134

- I have this feeling that the instrumental song could be titled "dream theater" (a self-titled song in a self-titled album!) what do you think? Would it be possible?

I would love that. Music players everywhere would display "Dream Theater - Dream Theater - Dream Theater".

Also, welcome to the forum!

Offline Meatrose

• DTF.org Alumni
Hi guys, as you can see it is my first post, but I have been reading the DT forum for months since I moved to UK (I'm Italian). It is also a good exercise for me to practice my English  ;D... anyway I will introduce myself in the appropriate section.

I have two considerations related to this thread:

- when we received the artwork for ADTOE, if I am not wrong, we have seen the DT's official website changing a little bit some days before the official release of the artwork. But now there is no sign of it. It seems a little bit weird to me that they could release the new artwork keeping the old one in DT's website.

Hi and welcome to the madness! About the official website changing, I think that was given a complete overhaul due to the fact that ADToE was more or less like the first page of a new chapter - a new beginning. However, the layout is definitely closely tied to the ADTOE artwork so perhaps we will see some changes there as well. Not saying I'm not fond of the guy on the unicycle but I wouldn't mind a different look that goes with the new album I guess.

I certainly wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of the instrumental track being titled "Dream Theater" but I personally don't think so. I think the reason they went with this album title was that they felt that this album defines them as a band, incorporating their various styles and everything that they stand for musically. I don't think that they would also do so with a specific song on the album and especially not with a song that only features 4 out of 5 members. :)

Then again, you never know what'll happen.

Offline JRuless

Would be cool if the album was a concept album in style of The Who's - Quadrafonia. Thematically.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
If anything, I'd think the opening track should be called Dream Theater, since it may act as an introduction to the album, although I see no reason why an instrumental would/should be self titled just because the album is.

Offline mikidream

I think the reason they went with this album title was that they felt that this album defines them as a band, incorporating their various styles and everything that they stand for musically. I don't think that they would also do so with a specific song on the album and especially not with a song that only features 4 out of 5 members.

good point, I didn't think about that   :smiley:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?

New pic on the FB page.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Interesting look...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
They all look really uncomfortable in that pic.

Offline fibreoptix

Here it comes...

Offline Progressive Metal Fusion

• JLB: "We're Dream Theater, we can't stop!"
From DT's fb account:

The track listing for Dream Theater is as follows:
1. FALSE AWAKENING SUITE
i. Sleep Paralysis
ii. Night Terrors
iii. Lucid Dream
2. THE ENEMY INSIDE
3. THE LOOKING GLASS
4. ENIGMA MACHINE
5. THE BIGGER PICTURE
6. BEHIND THE VEIL
7. SURRENDER TO REASON
8. ALONG FOR THE RIDE
9. ILLUMINATION THEORY
i. Paradoxe de la Lumière Noire
ii. Live, Die, Kill
iii. The Embracing Circle
iv. The Pursuit of Truth
v. Surrender, Trust & Passion

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Interesting song titles for the new album. Cool to see a suite as the first track
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
Dream Theater’s self-titled album – the band’s 12th studio release overall, and fourth with Roadrunner Records – will be released September 24, and now you can check out the cover art and see the track listing below!

Says guitarist John Petrucci about Dream Theater, “I see every new album as an opportunity to start over. To either build or improve upon a direction that has been evolving over time or to completely break new ground. This is the first self-titled album of our career and there is nothing I can think of that makes a statement of musical and creative identity stronger than that. We’ve fully explored all of the elements that make us unique, from the epic and intense to the atmospheric and cinematic. We’re incredibly excited about Dream Theater and can’t wait for everyone to hear it.”

The nine-track disc was recorded at Cove City Studio in Glen Cove, Long Island, with guitarist Petrucci producing and Richard Chycki engineering and mixing. It’s the band’s second album with drummer Mike Mangini, and the first one on which he was a part of the writing process from Day One.

In January, Petrucci said of Mangini’s work, “When people hear the drumming on this album, they’re gonna be pretty freaked out. On the last album, he did a great job, but he wasn’t there for the writing process and he was interpreting drum parts that I had programmed. Even though he used his creativity, of course, to change them up and do his thing, I feel like now he’s just Mike Mangini unleashed. It’s all him. It’s all his creativity, all his decisions and ideas and man, the guy’s an animal.”

The track listing for Dream Theater is as follows:

1. FALSE AWAKENING SUITE
i. Sleep Paralysis
ii. Night Terrors
iii. Lucid Dream
2. THE ENEMY INSIDE
3. THE LOOKING GLASS
4. ENIGMA MACHINE
5. THE BIGGER PICTURE
6. BEHIND THE VEIL
7. SURRENDER TO REASON
8. ALONG FOR THE RIDE
9. ILLUMINATION THEORY
i. Paradoxe de la Lumière Noire
ii. Live, Die, Kill
iii. The Embracing Circle
iv. The Pursuit of Truth
v. Surrender, Trust & Passion

Dream Theater will be available in a wide range of distinctive versions, including standard and special edition CDs, 180 gram double LP, and a limited edition boxed set. Pre-orders are scheduled to launch in July at the Roadrunner Records Webstore.

Dream Theater will be on tour in Europe in January and February 2014, and in North America in March 2014.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
Awesome cover IMO!
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Holy Fuck

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Very interesting.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
YES :metal

Offline Jinx

Song titles seem... I dunno. Not very DT-ish?

Also, no band title on the cover!  ;D

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Looks like the closing song will be the 20+ epic.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Awesome. :hat

Offline cyberdrummer

Has to be a concept album.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
BOOOOOOOOOOOOONERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I actually like this artwork.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Wow!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
IS THAT THE ARTWORK?

I love that

And the tracklisting
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Please tell me that wonky picture is not the album cover. It looks like fan art, and that Majesty logo is so off shape.

Offline Jinx

Only the logo on the album cover.

Amazing  :hefdaddy

Offline cyberdrummer

And these titles sound VERY proggy. I like them a lot at first glance.

Offline Octavaripolis

• DTF's Teenage Weakling
This does look like a conceptual album to me!
Don't mess with Take The Time.