Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905900 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Meh I just always have. I didn't like A Change Of Seasons when i heard it. Maybe I should give it another go.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
:lol I love Octavarium so much - I dunno how anyone can not like it
Overlong intros, nonsensical lyrics and aimless instrumental sections aren't my thing :P (sorry to Octavarium lovers - I don't hate the song, but I just don't get the hype)

With all my respect but this is like a dedicated christian saying that the bible is not his thing !

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Quite ! How can you be a fan of DT and not like Long songs and instrumental sections ?   :police:

Besides - there's way more aimless instrumental stuff on later albums.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
So news time is going to be the same as usual: 5pm here in Italy, so i guess 11am in NY.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
:lol I love Octavarium so much - I dunno how anyone can not like it
Overlong intros, nonsensical lyrics and aimless instrumental sections aren't my thing :P (sorry to Octavarium lovers - I don't hate the song, but I just don't get the hype)
With all my respect but this is like a dedicated christian saying that the bible is not his thing !
Not every DT song has 4 minutes of Continuum noodling, lyrics like "seven seize the day tripper" and an instrumental section with the Jingle Bells melody and other random stuff ;) I never said I don't like long songs - ACOS is a top 3 song for me. That said, they have to be very well constructed and the longer the song is, the bigger the risk of it lacking cohesion is.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
It'll probably be a couple more hours and I'll be away from home then, only to see the immense amount of posts when I get back. Please post something within the next hour and I can do stuff without feeling left out :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Flacracker

Now what if "over 20 minutes" actually means 80 minutes and we get a one album song like The Whirlwind?

Offline Full Speed

So news time is going to be the same as usual: 5pm here in Italy, so i guess 11am in NY.

Any source for this?

And if so, that's like 2 hours from now?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Now what if "over 20 minutes" actually means 80 minutes and we get a one album song like The Whirlwind?

We've deducted from the in studio videos that the album will have 9 songs (and extras), one of which was actually labelled "Epic".
Also, if it was an 80 minute song, I doubt he'd say it's "over 20 minutes" despite that being technically true. You'd just say it has a really long song on it or something like that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

We already know there are +/- 9 tracks.

Any source for this?

I'll stay up til early Wednesday morning for this in the UK. I'm not expecting it much sooner than that :P

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni

Any source for this?

RR italy, and a Tweet from RR Canada.

Also, was DT.net outfit changed immediatly after OTBOA (in that occasion we saw for the first time the new artwork) came out?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 07:16:09 AM by DreamerTV »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I'm very skeptical, then. The last time we had the promise of news posted on a non-US RR twitter, it turned out to be complete bullshit.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm very skeptical, then. The last time we had the promise of news posted on a non-US RR twitter, it turned out to be complete bullshit.

RRusa confirmed the day, RRcanada only the time.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Too many convergent hints. There's no doubt we are getting an announcement this time, and seeing how many national RR divisions are seemingly involeved and ready for it it looks like it won't be a minor one.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
OK bring it on then.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Good call wasteland, here's me hoping for basically everything, except the music itself.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
It could be "in studio Pt2".

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

The Spirit Carries On Pt 2: John And The Chocolate Cake

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

The Spirit Carries On Pt 2: John And The Chocolate Cake

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
It could be, true (and I wouldn't dislike it at all to happen), but I think artwork+tracklisting makes more sense. The album has just been completed and it's too early for a single.

Think of this: from here to the release date there are almost three months. We were given the album title and seminal press release one month ago, we get art and tracks now, single in one month and samples through September. It's a pre-release schedule that would make sense.

Which doesn't mean that one or more "In Studio" videos won't roll together with some or all of said pre-release landmarks.
- Marco

Offline VincentMDO

We're getting Studio pt II plus tracklist + artwork. Called it.
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
We're getting Studio pt II plus tracklist + artwork. Called it.

I'll go one further. Snippets of the new album on the Pt2 vid

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
Nah, we're getting a youtube video of John Petrucci describing the different exclusive items in the Dream Theater Deluxe Box Set while Jordan is using MorphWiz to mess with him.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
That sounds eerily familiar.

Offline Octavaripolis

• DTF's Teenage Weakling
 ADTOE was released on the 13th of september 2011 meanwhile DT12 is being released the 24th of september 2013. There are eleven days and two years between those two dates, just as there are eleven days and 2 years between the 28th of June 2011, the date when On The Backs of Angels was released and today.

I'm calling it, there's a single being released today!
Don't mess with Take The Time.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
The last time they needed the single release for the summer tour...

Offline Octavaripolis

• DTF's Teenage Weakling

Well that doesn't make the dates less valid does it?

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
4-5 minute songs AND a 20+ min song? that just raised my excitement level beyond anything it was last time around!

I'll stay up til early Wednesday morning for this in the UK. I'm not expecting it much sooner than that :P
I'm with you brother! (Melbourne Australia).
I think i'll give it until 6 am before going to bed. Too bad it wont be Dec 25  :millahhhh

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
Oh by the way, about those Deluxe boxes; remember how late they arrived last time? While a digital download the day before the street date was a good way to deal with the delays I'd prefer it if they were shipped along with the regular versions of the album this time.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
Oh by the way, about those Deluxe boxes; remember how late they arrived last time? While a digital download the day before the street date was a good way to deal with the delays I'd prefer it if they were shipped along with the regular versions of the album this time.
Was the vynal of the album available on its own last time round? Like as one of the first packages you could pre-order?
For that matter do modern DT albums sound good on vynal? Totally want to listen to this for the first time on vynal  :biggrin:

Offline eosforum

So in two hours from now, right? Or one?

Offline Ad134

One, I think.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
So in two hours from now, right? Or one?
One. 5PM in a Tuesday Morning!
- Marco

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Yes.  They aren't touring this summer, so no reason for such an early release of a single.

Not that they definitely won't release one now, there just isn't the same need to do so.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Octavaripolis

• DTF's Teenage Weakling

Yes.  They aren't touring this summer, so no reason for such an early release of a single.

Not that they definitely won't release one now, there just isn't the same need to do so.

I meant the weird connection between the dates, not the actual connection between the dates and the events surrounding them.