Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905782 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Milena, cheers for the awesome summary.

Though, I still love you and all that, but I hate the word "intie". :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
When I think of what John Petrucci's guitar might sound like on the album I think of the beginning of About to Crash Reprise. I just really like that sound. To me it sounds full and rich like chocolate cake. Im trying to think of another DT song that uses that tone but It doesn't come to mind. I might be thinking of a JP solo song though.

I would agree, but I'm pretty sure it will be something close to a metaphysical experience.

I think it will sound like something no one could ever think about before because there was no similar sound in sound's history. The only comparison able to describe it is, well... Chocolate cake. Something related to taste, texture and appearance. It will be a pure translation of senses. From those mentioned to hearing. The experience of listening to it will be equal to how it sounds: impossible to be described.

Offline eosforum

Also the crunchy riff of PMU has awesome sound. Kinda Rammstein-ish :D

Offline sdfdsv

Cmon, it's already tomorrow. Where is the announcement  :D

Offline nikatapi

Can't wait to see the track lengths. I have a feeling we might get an "epic", like Octavarium or ACOS.
Also, i'm very interested in the artwork, hopefully it won't have anything to do with the purple majesty logo, i thought this was very cheesy and 90's feeling like they just found how to use computer graphics.

A single release with the announcement would be incredible, mostly just to get an idea of what the album will sound like, especially Mike's drums.

Very excited  :metal

Offline Thematt202

The waiting begins (continues)!
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Major props to Milena for the awesome summary with info drawn especially from INTIES (:p), and here's my two cents: Epic is going to be 13~14 minute long, and smoothen around 4.

The easter egg of course won't be credited in the tracklist.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Can't wait to see the track lengths. I have a feeling we might get an "epic", like Octavarium or ACOS.

I predict something a bit shorter than ACOS/8V, but longer than the "epics" of ADTOE, and still noticeably longer than anything else on the album to warrant the title of the epic. I'll guess around 16 minutes. I'd love to see more songs like TTT, where they cram a lot of sections and changes into a shorter space, and progress linearly.

While it's a somewhat trivial detail, it would be nice to get track lengths, although I don't believe those are typically announced. I also don't expect a single, although I'd like to be wrong. I'm going to guess they'll announce the date of the single though, and I don't expect it will be far off either way.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline nikatapi

Also, i don't know if anyone listened to the roadrunner podcast, but they talked a bit about the album, they said that they would be releasing some music "fairly soon" (yeah i know), and that there are songs less than five minutes in length so be prepared for that.

You can actually hear this podcast here https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/podcast-20130705

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
To be fair if there is songs less than 5 minutes AND an epic, then its all the more better IMO. Diversity = good.  :tup

Offline mellotron_scratch

Also, i don't know if anyone listened to the roadrunner podcast, but they talked a bit about the album, they said that they would be releasing some music "fairly soon" (yeah i know), and that there are songs less than five minutes in length so be prepared for that.

You can actually hear this podcast here https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/podcast-20130705

Unless I heard incorrectly, he also said that there was a 20 minute song.  :metal :metal :metal

So, if the Roadrunner people are already familiar with track lengths, then perhaps they'll be announced with the tracklist?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
Can somebody post an indicative timestap for the DT discussion? Unfortunately I don't have time to listen to it all  :blush
- Marco

Can somebody post an indicative timestap for the DT discussion? Unfortunately I don't have time to listen to it all  :blush

It starts about 1 minute in.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
"They are like concise songs. But, at the same time, they are the best songs they have ever written, and Dream Theater fans are going to lose their mind"

And he said: "over 20 minutes song"

So,  :omg:
- Marco

For some reason, it's only now that I think I've truly become very excited for the album. I was a bit excited before, but I think it's starting to kick in now.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
What these guys said partially dispel this fear, but I really hope that the presence of a 20+ epic didn't suck all the energy of the songwriting away from the rest of the album, which is what in my opinion happened with Octavarium and is the reason I'm always wary of huge epics in an album context.
- Marco

Offline nikatapi

Yeah sorry for not mentioning the "over 20 minutes" but for some reason i thought it was a figure of speech, like people who don't listen to DT say "ok this song is half an hour", but i guess there is truth in this statement.

They said that these are the best songs that DT have ever written, but i think this is just PR to get people excited.
Having the album be self-titled though must say something about the quality of the music, i'm sure DT feel very confident about this album.

Offline aprilethereal

If I remember correctly, they also said Systematic Chaos would be the perfect representation of the DT sound.

But yes, 20+ minute epic sounds awesome, if the album turns out to be kind of like 8VM then :caffeine:

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
What these guys said partially dispel this fear, but I really hope that the presence of a 20+ epic didn't suck all the energy of the songwriting away from the rest of the album, which is what in my opinion happened with Octavarium and is the reason I'm always wary of huge epics in an album context.
Fully agree !

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Over 20 minutes? Well dayum, my interest level just rose. That hopefully means they're not playing it too safe on this album. You never know what to expect with DT's epics. It also likely means the rest of the songs won't be crazy long, which I also like.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I predict something a bit shorter than ACOS/8V, but longer than the "epics" of ADTOE, and still noticeably longer than anything else on the album to warrant the title of the epic.
I don't think there were any epics on ADTOE. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Labrie1984

It was said in the podcast that new DT songs are more concise with the exception of the over 20 minute epic. Nice !!!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I predict something a bit shorter than ACOS/8V, but longer than the "epics" of ADTOE, and still noticeably longer than anything else on the album to warrant the title of the epic.
I don't think there were any epics on ADTOE. 

I agree (hence the quotation marks on that), it just seemed like the most brief way to refer to the 4 longer songs of ADTOE. Don't be bustin' mah chops!

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
I hope that having shorter songs doesn't mean we get a big epic and a load of commercial tracks ala BMUBMD. 1 of those is enough for the album.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
This is probably a controversial opinion, but ACOS is the only 20+ minute DT song I love, so I hope the new epic won't be a disappointment.

Also, thanks for the summary, Milena! :tup I was hoping someone would compile the best bits of the previous thread :) I'm glad not everyone is as lazy as me :lol

Offline Full Speed

ACOS is the only 20+ minute DT song I love

Same here. I hope that can change with the new album.

Offline Red_Queen

Hey guys! I'm new here .. But Im in love with DT from my six years!  :metal

I canīt wait for today announcement! I hope for tracklist and cover !

Offline nikatapi

Welcome to the forum, i hope you enjoy your time here :metal :metal

I hope that having shorter songs doesn't mean we get a big epic and a load of commercial tracks ala BMUBMD. 1 of those is enough for the album.

Agreed. I'm expecting there to be probably 2 commercial sounding tracks, but, like you, I hope some of them are more interesting. DT have proved that they can write good short songs (Silent Man, Hell's Kitchen, etc) so hopefully they deliver on this album.

Offline Red_Queen

Welcome to the forum, i hope you enjoy your time here :metal :metal
Thanks ! I spectate this forum for so long time but i decide to register now.. new album will be epic. I feel it in my bones  :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Over 20 minutes? Well dayum, my interest level just rose. That hopefully means they're not playing it too safe on this album. You never know what to expect with DT's epics. It also likely means the rest of the songs won't be crazy long, which I also like.
An album with lengths akin to Octavarium would be great.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
Okay, I'd love to hear that 20 minute track! :caffeine:

And today there's an announcement, if I understand correctly.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is probably a controversial opinion, but ACOS is the only 20+ minute DT song I love, so I hope the new epic won't be a disappointment.

Also, thanks for the summary, Milena! :tup I was hoping someone would compile the best bits of the previous thread :) I'm glad not everyone is as lazy as me :lol

:lol I love Octavarium so much - I dunno how anyone can not like it

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
The waiting begins (continues)!

SOON !

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
:lol I love Octavarium so much - I dunno how anyone can not like it
Overlong intros, nonsensical lyrics and aimless instrumental sections aren't my thing :P (sorry to Octavarium lovers - I don't hate the song, but I just don't get the hype)