Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905863 times)

Offline Progressive Metal Fusion

• JLB: "We're Dream Theater, we can't stop!"
Hi guys, I'm glad to be here with you all!

I know that probably I'm dreaming, but...what if tomorrow we receive the album artwork, track listing and a single? :D
Afterall it's 9th of july, so it might be a possible hypothesis.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Really hope it's a consept album like SFAM and SDOIT, and that the opening tune is a overture that represent the mood and styles of the album. :metal
I think that's unlikely, given that the album is self-titled.

However, if DT were to ever have a "theme song" named after the band, I'd imagine it WOULD be instrumental.

You mean like Ytse Jam?  Maybe the instrumental this time will be Retaeht maerd?!  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:34:05 PM by nicmos »

Offline 54_diplomats

The new album is self titled o_O? That's odd...

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
Wow!! Thank you Mora!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Eh, going through the thread was fun, I shiver about going through the spamfest tomorrow :D

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
I feel honoured that you think so highly of my photoshop, Mili. :heart Come to think of it, that whole captioning of that passage was fucking epic.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline robwebster

Partially as a public service announcement, partially so we can get on with the new thread...

https://evernote.com/webclipper/

Get an account, go through, and archive any page you want. Saves 'em with formatting, pictures, the lot. If you want, you could go through every single page, click "Clip to Evernote," and you'd have the whole thread saved in the cloud forever.

I saved the lyrics deciphering (three pages, 63-63), deciphering the midi (three pages, somewhere around 112ish?), and the Roadrunner bit (loads of pages, can't remember, easy to find anyway!). Keep it all, the context, the quotes, no worries. No need to clog up the new thread - and if we get nostalgic for these heady times three album cycles down the line, we'll have it all saved.

So! Announcement tomorrow!

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
That Easter Egg track is going AT LEAST 5-6 mins. Epic will be 13mins.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Partially as a public service announcement, partially so we can get on with the new thread...

https://evernote.com/webclipper/

Get an account, go through, and archive any page you want. Saves 'em with formatting, pictures, the lot. If you want, you could go through every single page, click "Clip to Evernote," and you'd have the whole thread saved in the cloud forever.

I saved the lyrics deciphering (three pages, 63-63), deciphering the midi (three pages, somewhere around 112ish?), and the Roadrunner bit (loads of pages, can't remember, easy to find anyway!). Keep it all, the context, the quotes, no worries. No need to clog up the new thread - and if we get nostalgic for these heady times three album cycles down the line, we'll have it all saved.

So! Announcement tomorrow!
Oh, thanks!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline robwebster

Hahaha, I only point it out cos it was my first response to finding out it would one day be deleted, too. "It might not be in YOUR archive! Save the treasures!!" Understand the moderators' decision, cos there was a lot of crap in it, but the good bits were genuinely brilliant. And for better or for worse, it's a record of exactly how DTF was feeling as news of the 12th album was gradually revealed.

... I say, like it's history, and we already know everything about the new album. Things tomorrow!! It's going to be a loooong day at work.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
^ Known this is?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hahaha, I only point it out cos it was my first response to finding out it would one day be deleted, too. "It might not be in YOUR archive! Save the treasures!!" Understand the moderators' decision, cos there was a lot of crap in it, but the good bits were genuinely brilliant. And for better or for worse, it's a record of exactly how DTF was feeling as news of the 12th album was gradually revealed.

... I say, like it's history, and we already know everything about the new album. Things tomorrow!! It's going to be a loooong day at work.

Howdy Rob ... Quick chat ? :)

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
^ Known this is?

Predictions!  :P

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Hopefully if there is indeed an announcement tomorrow, it's while I'm not busy during the nighttime. :P Otherwise, I will forget about it until the next morning and be raped with a tracklist. :biggrin:

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
^ Known this is?

When they say epic, I'm hoping for more along the lines of 8VM... 20+ mins
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I predict that my favorite song on the album will be Bad Larry.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mellotron_scratch

^ Known this is?

Same here  :metal

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
^ Known this is?

Me too. BAI was cool but it left me wanting more.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
^ Known this is?

Agreed.

Offline Aefenwelg

I hope the song lengths are similar to IaW, but with LtL 20 minutes longer.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
They already rewrote that album though. :neverusethis:
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ibosmiley

Hmmm... "Epic", then "Smoothen".  Kind of sounds like we'll be seeing another Breaking All Illusions/Beneath the Surface type of set up.  A longer epic style song followed by a shorter, more mellow album closer type of song.

I was kind of hoping they'd veer away from the 20+ minute type of songs for a while, but if this album is going to be a good showing of what Dream Theater is all about, as they say it will, then it sounds like there will probably be one song of that length and caliber on the album. 
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline The Fatal Tragedy

• I'm that "Awesome" guy.
Really quick, could we just sum up just a few of the great things that happened in the old thread?

I think it is very worth noting that we now have a little sneak preview of some keyboard part on the new album that was put together (by Fatal Tragedy right?) due to only this snapshot from the In Studio video #1

You can hear it here:
https://www.blobvandam.com/link/dt12_new_song.mid
Thank you for taking the time to repost the midi that took me hours to transcribe for the DT fans. I greatly appreciate the recognition. It's unfortunate that the other thread isn't going to be archived. On the bright side, I have yet another VERY special recreation of another thing that all the DT fans would never have expected to see!

Behold! My 100% accurate reproduction of JP's paper printout of the slice of chocolate cake!

I've made sure everything is in the exact placement as it was in the video! I found the exact photo of cake on the web after a little searching on the internet.  :tup
Embrace the days; don't turn away. Life's true intent needs patience.

Karma starts the signal...

Offline Aefenwelg

They already rewrote that album though. :neverusethis:

Oh no, I'm not saying they should do that again.

I'm talking strictly song lengths, not content.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
If we get the track list tomorrow what are the odds we'll get song lengths along with it?

Offline TheAtliator

cake pic

BEHOLD!! nice!  :metal

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
Hi everyone, first time posting here!

I am really hoping that tomorrow we'll hear something from DTXII, see the artwork and get to the see the tracklist...I don't know, but I am really hopeful.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

I am really hoping that tomorrow we'll hear something from DTXII, see the artwork and get to the see the tracklist...I don't know, but I am really hopeful.
Welcome voices! I doubt we'll hear anything, but track list and art is more likely.

If we get the track list tomorrow what are the odds we'll get song lengths along with it?

We probably won't. They didn't release track lengths for ADTOE and I'm pretty sure they didn't for BC&SL too. I remember that the way I found out the lengths for ADTOE was looking at some preorder for it on Roadrunner's website. I think that was about a month after the track titles came out.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.

Welcome voices! I doubt we'll hear anything, but track list and art is more likely.

Thanks man! Well, I don't know, but I'm hopeful. It'll be amazing, but I'm happy with art and tracklist...tomorrow we'll see.

Welcome!

Offline Flacracker

When I think of what John Petrucci's guitar might sound like on the album I think of the beginning of About to Crash Reprise. I just really like that sound. To me it sounds full and rich like chocolate cake. Im trying to think of another DT song that uses that tone but It doesn't come to mind. I might be thinking of a JP solo song though.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
When I think of what John Petrucci's guitar might sound like on the album I think of the beginning of About to Crash Reprise. I just really like that sound. To me it sounds full and rich like chocolate cake. Im trying to think of another DT song that uses that tone but It doesn't come to mind. I might be thinking of a JP solo song though.
About to Crash Reprise is my favorite JP riff. If DT12 has anything remotely like that I will be  :hefdaddy

Offline TheAtliator

There's just nothing more magical than when that deep luscious guitar starts soloing in Lost Not Forgotten.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures

I agree, that's exactly what I'm picturing. I absolutely love his tone in that intro; it's so classic rock-esque and makes me smile every time.