Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 912624 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - COVER ART/TRACK LIST on p. 5
« Reply #6335 on: September 05, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »
Perhaps they could have done something like

" James Labris's MullMuzzlers "

so it's best of both.

James Labries's Melodious Wonders

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6336 on: September 05, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »
One of the most well known "solo" musicians, Ozzy Osbourne, doesn't write ANY lyrics or music with the exception of most of the vocal melodies. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #6337 on: September 05, 2013, 04:23:48 PM »
Am I the only one not surprised that JLB didn't do any lyrics? With his recent solo album I wasn't expecting him to contribute lyrics, honestly.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline dparrott

« Reply #6338 on: September 05, 2013, 04:56:30 PM »
Don't know if anyone's done the math, but the average length of FAS parts is 54 seconds.

:corn
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6339 on: September 05, 2013, 04:59:03 PM »
Too bad they aren't 58 seconds ;D ;D

Offline robwebster

« Reply #6340 on: September 05, 2013, 05:01:47 PM »
Don't know if anyone's done the math, but the average length of FAS parts is 54 seconds.

:corn
Good! That's new. I prefer new.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #6341 on: September 05, 2013, 06:03:38 PM »
Too bad they aren't 58 seconds ;D ;D

Hey...one of the parts could be that long....
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #6342 on: September 05, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »
I hope not..

You do understand that the reason for this is that Petrucci wrote the melodies and fit the lyrics to the song? As ? said, it's the same thing they've always done with Myung's lyrics, they just changed the system for assigning lyric credits. If Learning to Live or Trial of Tears was written today they would be credited to Myung/Petrucci (or possibly with Portnoy or Moore or LaBrie, depending on who specifically formatted those lyrics). BAI is basically "words by Myung, edited by Petrucci". I'm assuming STR will the same.

Yeah, I understand that, I knew it long time ago... But I hope they don't do the same this time around.. I didn't like the "Lyrics by John Myung and John Petrucci", when JP had credit for other 7 songs.. I just never like that.. That's all..
OTOH, we'll never know (I guess) exactly how was the BAI lyric process, neither what happen with Caught in a Web, whether the same befall that occasion or not.. (JP helping JLB or they actually writing together).. Or in the case of Take the Time, and the others JM's lyrics...
Being the only one written by JM (whatever the way), they should credit only him.. JP has already other 6 songs...

Now I'm not sure about this: it's even important if JP is credit or not?.. (I mean it's profitably relevant) Or it's just an statistic?...
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #6343 on: September 05, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »
Yeah, I understand that, I knew it long time ago... But I hope they don't do the same this time around.. I didn't like the "Lyrics by John Myung and John Petrucci", when JP had credit for other 7 songs.. I just never like that.. That's all..
OTOH, we'll never know (I guess) exactly how was the BAI lyric process, neither what happen with Caught in a Web, whether the same befall that occasion or not.. (JP helping JLB or they actually writing together).. Or in the case of Take the Time, and the others JM's lyrics...
Being the only one written by JM (whatever the way), they should credit only him.. JP has already other 6 songs...

Now I'm not sure about this: it's even important if JP is credit or not?.. (I mean it's profitably relevant) Or it's just an statistic?...

I don't really understand this. If JP contributed at all to how the final song ends up, then why wouldn't he get credit? Why wouldn't you want him to? I could absolutely be missing something here, and if I am please explain.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #6344 on: September 05, 2013, 07:54:40 PM »
^ This. It's particularly true when the solo artist is a singer and not an instrumentalist. John Petrucci wrote his entire solo album, which was pretty heavily dominated by guitar, but it would be a lot harder for James to do that, particularly since he does not play an instrument.

WRONG.

4:07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6k1VdgNeKE

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #6345 on: September 05, 2013, 07:55:54 PM »
I hope not..

You do understand that the reason for this is that Petrucci wrote the melodies and fit the lyrics to the song? As ? said, it's the same thing they've always done with Myung's lyrics, they just changed the system for assigning lyric credits. If Learning to Live or Trial of Tears was written today they would be credited to Myung/Petrucci (or possibly with Portnoy or Moore or LaBrie, depending on who specifically formatted those lyrics). BAI is basically "words by Myung, edited by Petrucci". I'm assuming STR will the same.

So John Petrucci shouldn't be credited for helping write the lyrics even though he helped write the lyrics because... he also wrote a bunch of other lyrics?

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #6346 on: September 05, 2013, 08:40:53 PM »

Well, as I remember correctly, with BAI, John Myung said that he was the one who wanted JP to be co-credited on the lyrics, because he didn't feel right taking the whole credit.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6347 on: September 05, 2013, 08:46:50 PM »
I like the co-credit. It makes it feel like a whole band effort, with band members teaming up and using their strengths to create a lyric. And also, it's just a nice, diplomatic thing to do. And DT are a nice, diplomatic band. Like putting band names alphabetically.

One of the reasons I love the band. :D
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6348 on: September 05, 2013, 08:47:09 PM »
You are all putting to much stock into this lyric conversation.Some bands work differently.  It's how they function.  How many lyrics has Geddy Lee wrote?  Not much but I bet James like Geddy has input on the structure and they work out the phrasings and even change the lyrics with the writer during the process.

No big whoop.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #6349 on: September 05, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »

I don't really understand this. If JP contributed at all to how the final song ends up, then why wouldn't he get credit? Why wouldn't you want him to? I could absolutely be missing something here, and if I am please explain.

My bad.. Maybe I rambled a little.. I was just saying that it bothers me.. I have no much further explanation than that.. (namely: they should do it, not because JP wrote other lyrics, but because he get the most of the lyric writing credits, and he will get it anyway)...

I'll mix subjects dramatically here.. I couldn't resist..

John Petrucci wrote his entire solo album, which was pretty heavily dominated by guitar, but it would be a lot harder for James to do that, particularly since he does not play an instrument.

WRONG.

4:07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6k1VdgNeKE

DOUBLY WRONG:

3:09
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=542VQwZ4wT4
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6350 on: September 06, 2013, 12:43:02 AM »
MP has revealed who wrote which part of TTT: https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2811186.aspx
V1=MP, V2=JM, V3=JP, BR=KM, CH=MP & KM

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #6351 on: September 06, 2013, 12:46:07 AM »
JP writes lyrics on his own? JP deserves credit for it. JP contributes to JM's lyrics? Both deserve credit for it. Simple as that.

Offline liran95

« Reply #6352 on: September 06, 2013, 06:56:12 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPQ6egJDqQo&feature=youtu.be

Can someone watch it and warn me if TEI is being played? :D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6353 on: September 06, 2013, 06:56:50 AM »

The very first thing you hear is the opening of TEI, so that would be a yes. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline liran95

« Reply #6354 on: September 06, 2013, 07:11:28 AM »

The very first thing you hear is the opening of TEI, so that would be a yes. :lol

Thanks, skipped the beginning! :D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6355 on: September 06, 2013, 09:36:36 AM »

My bad.. Maybe I rambled a little.. I was just saying that it bothers me.. I have no much further explanation than that..
Thanks for clearing that up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #6356 on: September 06, 2013, 09:57:07 AM »
Apparently there are early official (non-watermarked) copies of the 5.1 DVD version out there, and the sound is purportedly much, much better (as to be hoped for with a 5.1 version of an album, but sadly that is not always the case).
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #6357 on: September 06, 2013, 10:07:09 AM »
Apparently there are early official (non-watermarked) copies of the 5.1 DVD version out there, and the sound is purportedly much, much better (as to be hoped for with a 5.1 version of an album, but sadly that is not always the case).
You know? The shabby sound on the standard audio might genuinely push me to buy that 5.1 special edition after all.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #6358 on: September 06, 2013, 10:16:13 AM »
You know? The shabby sound on the standard audio might genuinely push me to buy that 5.1 special edition after all.

Ditto, and a 5.1 system to play it on!

Offline Edson Wilton

• You can call me faithless.
« Reply #6359 on: September 06, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6360 on: September 06, 2013, 11:18:36 AM »

Too expensive. I'll just befriend someone with a 5.1 system and get him or her into DT. :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #6361 on: September 06, 2013, 11:21:46 AM »
I'm betting the new images are from Along For The Ride.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #6362 on: September 06, 2013, 11:22:28 AM »
I know PS3s aren't exactly cheap, but some of you that don't have a 5.1 system may have a PS3, and you can buy the relatively good 5.1 surround sound wireless headphones for $100 or less nowadays (official Sony branding).

Yes, it isn't as good as a real 5.1 setup, especially in terms of the bass, but it is still miles better than stereo. That is how I listen to Systematic Chaos' 5.1 mix, and their DVDs as well.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

« Reply #6363 on: September 06, 2013, 11:24:53 AM »
I know PS3s aren't exactly cheap, but some of you that don't have a 5.1 system may have a PS3, and you can buy the relatively good 5.1 surround sound wireless headphones for $100 or less nowadays (official Sony branding).

Yes, it isn't as good as a real 5.1 setup, especially in terms of the bass, but it is still miles better than stereo. That is how I listen to Systematic Chaos' 5.1 mix, and their DVDs as well.

How are they on volume? I've always had a hard time trusting big wireless headphones, because I was always afraid they'd be too quiet at their maximum... But I'm guessing that's not the case?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6364 on: September 06, 2013, 11:29:01 AM »
Just to put an end to the shared credit thing; Myung has sole writing credits on Surrender to Reason.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #6365 on: September 06, 2013, 11:35:11 AM »

How are they on volume? I've always had a hard time trusting big wireless headphones, because I was always afraid they'd be too quiet at their maximum... But I'm guessing that's not the case?

Well, I'll preface this by saying I can sometimes be sensitive to loud volumes, but I accidentally turned them on once when at full volume and had to physically throw them off my head due to how loud they were.

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6366 on: September 06, 2013, 11:37:23 AM »
Just to put an end to the shared credit thing; Myung has sole writing credits on Surrender to Reason.

If you are allowed to answer to this: is the music credited to the individual members who took part in the songwriting as with the past few albums' trend or are they simply credited to "Dream Theater"?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

« Reply #6367 on: September 06, 2013, 11:43:31 AM »
Well, I'll preface this by saying I can sometimes be sensitive to loud volumes, but I accidentally turned them on once when at full volume and had to physically throw them off my head due to how loud they were.

Oh wow. So basically, I won't think they're too quiet?  :lol

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #6368 on: September 06, 2013, 11:46:36 AM »

Oh wow. So basically, I won't think they're too quiet?  :lol

I certainly don't think so. I generally have them at half volume or less. I personally love them. They look terribly geeky and huge, but the sound quality and volume, as well as the pretty spectacular wireless range, is awesome.

Also, of course, if you do play games on your PS3, they are even more incredible, and significantly improve the atmosphere.

« Reply #6369 on: September 06, 2013, 11:48:54 AM »
I certainly don't think so. I generally have them at half volume or less. I personally love them. They look terribly geeky and huge, but the sound quality and volume, as well as the pretty spectacular wireless range, is awesome.

Also, of course, if you do play games on your PS3, they are even more incredible, and significantly improve the atmosphere.

Good to know. Thanks!  :tup