Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905959 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - COVER ART/TRACK LIST on p. 5
« Reply #5565 on: August 17, 2013, 12:26:12 PM »
NO

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5566 on: August 17, 2013, 12:27:06 PM »
Yes, you mean the lines from ANightmareToRemember lining up the image chunklets to form the bigger picture.
FTFY :neverusethis:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5567 on: August 17, 2013, 12:27:49 PM »
Yes, you mean the lines from ANightmareToRemember lining up the image chunklets to form the bigger picture.
FTFY :neverusethis:

Damn, missed opportunity there. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5568 on: August 17, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »

Is it supposed to be where the tide has come in ?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5569 on: August 17, 2013, 12:33:20 PM »
That'd be my guess  ^
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5570 on: August 17, 2013, 12:33:54 PM »
Dare I say it? Lens flare.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5571 on: August 17, 2013, 12:36:09 PM »
My bad Kotowboy. Sorry. :lolpalm:

No idea if they're intentionally or not, although I'll assume they're intentional, as I don't know how they'd get there accidentally. It does look like where the tide has come in, and maybe the dug out Majesty logo is causing more water to pool along the vertical bars causing it to be more wet/dark. Dunno! Looks like a nice effect to me though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Deve

« Reply #5573 on: August 17, 2013, 06:56:16 PM »
Man, he spelled it "Theatre" in the artwork. I know it's not a mistake, but that coupled with the fact the band name isn't going to be on the album cover won't help people spelling it "Dream Theatre" all the time.

Other than that, I really enjoy it.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5574 on: August 17, 2013, 07:22:24 PM »
 ???  You're worried that people who buy the album will be misspelling the band name because the word "theatre" appears in the album artwork?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:43:47 PM by theseoafs »

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5575 on: August 17, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »
You know what, if that's an actual problem, then that would imply that a bunch of people who aren't that familiar with the band are going to be buying this album. Either A: This album will as usual, appeal mainly to the core audience, so the few new fans who happen to misspell the name aren't a big deal.
Or B: This album will be bought by a whole slew of people who don't typically listen to DT, in which case, who cares about mistakes. We should be celebrating the fact that DT is being reached by a wider audience.

I'm betting on A, though.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5576 on: August 17, 2013, 10:24:43 PM »
I'm guessing the people who care enough to look over the physical artwork in that detail are the kinds of people who know DT well enough to know how to spell their name.

Offline johncal

« Reply #5577 on: August 17, 2013, 10:32:55 PM »
Maybe they purposely misspelled it as a joke because its always misspelled

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #5578 on: August 18, 2013, 02:39:34 AM »
That has nothing to do with spelling. It's the second hit on Google for "stock drive in theatre sign". Pasting ye olde trusty seagull a second time to sit on the frame already took two minutes, so why bother with letter swapping when someone from DTF is bound to complete the job anyway?

By the way I actually like the concept on this one very much. Not a big fan of the execution though.
I'm sure we'll see the last third and thus the bigger picture soon.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5579 on: August 18, 2013, 03:12:59 AM »
I wonder if we could make our own art. I mean, not me, everything I draw looks like it's melted, but there's a lot of very talented creatives here. Fun idea! Or not.

Hugh Syme's booklet art is still a little hit and miss, but tends to be better than his covers. Enemy Within's artwork, I thought was dreadful. Goldmine thing looked a little off. This is neat.

If the cover's him (which it almost definitely is), it's probably his best illustration I've seen so far this album cycle. Prob rank this second? From the two thirds we've seen, anyway.

Really lacks a focal point, mind.

Dangit rob, I've already given you a warning for this! :bosk1:
And it is Syme.
Arg! I'm only in my tenth year as a Dream Theater fan, you'd think I'd be able to get their songs' names right by now.

Clearly Syme from the booklet art, but the cover art is a little less steeped in his signature style, so I thought I'd wait for confirmation before outright presuming it was all the same guy - I do own albums where the booklet and the cover are by two different people. Cheers, sir!

My bad Kotowboy. Sorry. :lolpalm:

No idea if they're intentionally or not, although I'll assume they're intentional, as I don't know how they'd get there accidentally. It does look like where the tide has come in, and maybe the dug out Majesty logo is causing more water to pool along the vertical bars causing it to be more wet/dark. Dunno! Looks like a nice effect to me though.
I wondered if it might have been from duplicating the texture as it runs down the beach. Like, if there was a darker patch in the texture, maybe it became dark lines when it was repeated? Either way, I like it. It gives the beach shape, depth and perspective. Might've looked like a flat block of colour, without them.

« Reply #5580 on: August 18, 2013, 03:17:23 AM »
I wonder if we could make our own art. I mean, not me, everything I draw looks like it's melted,

Sounds pretty awesome, actually:

:biggrin:

But you did bring up an interesting idea. I mean, we've had people here do some pretty awesome fake booklet art, as I recall. Maybe we can have like, more stuff like that. I want to say DT Fan Art, but these days, the term "Fan Art" carries some disturbing connotations for me.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5581 on: August 18, 2013, 03:19:10 AM »
Yep, that's one of mine - I was trying to draw a kitchen.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5582 on: August 18, 2013, 03:30:34 AM »

I thought you were trying to draw 6:00 :neverusethis:

« Reply #5583 on: August 18, 2013, 03:32:00 AM »

I thought you were trying to draw 6:00 :neverusethis:

Nope, it was definitely a kitchen... Hell's Kitchen, that is! :neverusethis:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5584 on: August 18, 2013, 04:46:25 AM »
Clearly Syme from the booklet art, but the cover art is a little less steeped in his signature style, so I thought I'd wait for confirmation before outright presuming it was all the same guy - I do own albums where the booklet and the cover are by two different people. Cheers, sir!

I know that the cover is also Syme. My word should be enough confirmation!
Plus it would be strange for DT to have Hugh Syme make all of their art since 2005, then ditch him for the cover, but get him to do booklet art.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5585 on: August 18, 2013, 04:56:50 AM »
It is indeed confirmation - hence "Cheers, sir!" Sozzer, squire, should've been clearer.

When the art was revealed there was no name attached, and it didn't look very Syme, so I thought it'd be best to wait for official verification. Booklet art reeks of Syme, but it was evidence rather than proof. Put the cover artist in less doubt, but I try to keep a very clear boundary between what I think and what I know.

Don't get me wrong, I still fail. A lot. But, personal rule of thumb!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 05:05:31 AM by robwebster »

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5586 on: August 18, 2013, 05:17:08 AM »
That has nothing to do with spelling. It's the second hit on Google for "stock drive in theatre sign". Pasting ye olde trusty seagull a second time to sit on the frame already took two minutes, so why bother with letter swapping when someone from DTF is bound to complete the job anyway?

oh Syme...

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5587 on: August 18, 2013, 05:30:21 AM »
Again - this is a huge part of what digital art is. This is his medium, and very few people in his genre are going to take their own photos of drive-in signs. Only difference between now and ten years ago is that it's ever easier to find this stuff.

Fine to criticise Hugh Syme for the finished product, but I think it's a bit rich that we have this conversation every two years, where people want to hang him for being this kind of digital artist. It's really not news!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5588 on: August 18, 2013, 05:36:49 AM »
As long as he pays for the artwork he uses, i have no problem with anyone using stock photos as part of their digital creation, especially when it's a composition like this.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5589 on: August 18, 2013, 05:41:39 AM »
Again - this is a huge part of what digital art is. This is his medium, and very few people in his genre are going to take their own photos of drive-in signs. Only difference between now and ten years ago is that it's ever easier to find this stuff.

Fine to criticise Hugh Syme for the finished product, but I think it's a bit rich that we have this conversation every two years, where people want to hang him for being this kind of digital artist. It's really not news!

I agree.
It's just not practical to set up and take photos for such an array of random elements to compose one image. It's fine if it's for a cover, and it's something that can exist, but when you're putting together surreal scenes like this, it's just too much, and would make it more time consuming and expensive to the point of being impractical for a band like DT to do this every album.

Had you not gone out and searched for the stock image, would it have affected the quality of the final image? Judge the result, not the process. If the most appropriate image of a drive-in sign happens to be one of the first results on Google, then so be it. The real sign happens to use the spelling "theatre". It's not a matter of being easy to fix, it's a matter of whether it was even necessary to change it to begin with.

I could understand the argument for ADTOE, based on the fact that parts of the clown appeared on another prog album cover (although still heavily modified by Syme), but I'm not seeing the issue here.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5590 on: August 18, 2013, 05:56:53 AM »

I agree.
It's just not practical to set up and take photos for such an array of random elements to compose one image. It's fine if it's for a cover, and it's something that can exist, but when you're putting together surreal scenes like this, it's just too much, and would make it more time consuming and expensive to the point of being impractical for a band like DT to do this every album.
Not just every album, but several times every album. This isn't cover art, this is from the booklet!

More power, of course, to those artists who do (or did!) put together such unusual pictures. Storm Thorgerson is a great example of someone who went the extra mile for his covers, and his products were all the better for it - but these are exceptional cases, proper industry legends. Most of the time it's neither practical, nor viable, nor particularly preferable.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5591 on: August 18, 2013, 06:18:31 AM »

I agree.
Not just every album, but several times every album. This isn't cover art, this is from the booklet!

More power, of course, to those artists who do (or did!) put together such unusual pictures. Storm Thorgerson is a great example of someone who went the extra mile for his covers, and his products were all the better for it - but these are exceptional cases, proper industry legends. Most of the time it's neither practical, nor viable, nor particularly preferable.

And if you can do it, all the better. But I'm not going to dwell on the fact that Hugh Syme didn't set up his own drive-in theater/re at the beach, and park a classic '50s car in the waves while some kid tends to a 10' Majesty logo. And don't even get me started on getting those seagulls to cooperate. :P
This is the approach that works best for this style.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5592 on: August 18, 2013, 06:53:38 AM »
Judging by the kid's footprints, he only just got there, and certainly hasn't moved since he did. Logic dictates that it was probably the seagulls who tended to the ten foot majesty logo. From the air.

These are almost certainly powers way beyond even Storm Thorgerson's ken.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #5593 on: August 18, 2013, 07:51:41 AM »
Anyone think the most recent artwork is a reference to Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy?  Seeing iconic '50s imagery out in the surf reminded me immediately of pictures of the aftermath of the storm along the Jersey Shore, with largely intact rollercoasters sticking up 50 yards out in the water (the boardwalks & parks were largely built in the '50s).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5594 on: August 18, 2013, 09:02:51 AM »
Just posted today's images.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5595 on: August 18, 2013, 09:04:55 AM »
So ! the Billboard has . . .

. . Nothing on it !

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5596 on: August 18, 2013, 09:06:13 AM »
I Wonder if Hugh Syme googled " nothing " and slapped it on the billboard.

Offline liran95

« Reply #5597 on: August 18, 2013, 09:14:08 AM »

That is just... cruel  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5598 on: August 18, 2013, 09:16:09 AM »

I remember seeing Rush on the Power Window's tour and their bus was parked and on the front of the bus where it tells you the city the bus is traveling to is said, "Nobody Important."  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5599 on: August 18, 2013, 09:18:31 AM »
I expected a song title would be on the billboard, similar to the books in the last image. Seems like that's not the case.