Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 912632 times)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
I really don't give a fuck what that guy thinks of it, or what anyone thinks of it, to be honest. I care what I think of it.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
If thats true, HOW could they make the drums sound bad?  ???

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
I don't believe in this guy's opinion.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Well, I'll admit I haven't liked Mangini's snare sound on anything he's done. I doubt the drums will sound bad, but I probably still won't like his snare sound.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
By bad he could just mean they're not upfront and hidden away like they were a lot of the time in ADToE..
I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures

Radiohead...?

RADIOHEAD?

RADIOHEAD??!!

Is Radiohead even kind of considered progressive around here?
>2013
>Having such a bad opinion

ISHYGDDT

Radiohead has got to be one of the most progressive artists of the decade.

Offline Pepe108

He says the drums sound like electronic or midi. Redoing Images And Words again, DT?

Offline Flacracker

How did that guy receive ADToE?

Offline Pepe108

Seems like first promotional copies are being distributed.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
He says the drums sound like electronic or midi. Redoing Images And Words again, DT?

:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

:\
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Flacracker

Seems like first promotional copies are being distributed.
Are you sure you are translating that right? It looks like that carlosmalmsteen guy is saying a continuation of ADTOE. And Tio Emulio is saying that for him it is better than ADToE if you look at "para mi bastante mejor que A Dramatic turn" Also that Carlosmalmsteen has 3 posts so I dont think he is anyone.

Offline Pepe108

He says that DT12 is better than ADTOE, but that they just followed the same direction.

Offline dparrott

Yeaaaahhh....I don't trust it.  I doubt they'd really let the drums sound like MIDI.  And Jordan's just limited to a little bit of piano???
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Pepe108

He also speaks about the lack of keyboard solos, which matches with what we saw in the progress chart.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
:omg:

Slightly:

but mostly:
 :hat
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline tiagodon

Spain is in crisis. Don't give this guy too much credit!

Offline matte.braso

Here in Spain, there is a famous musical journalist called "Tío Emilio" who likes to discuss music with fans in a forum, and he just received... Well...

I'm not gonna trust him. Horrible drums which sound like a midi??? Definitely impossible. Rudess not much present is another doubtful statement, considering his enormous amount of instruments he' s played in the album (pretty the same as in ADTOE plus the Seabord) and he's written all the parts for the orchestra as well.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Quite interesting also how he didn't mention anything about Illumination Theory... But Pepe, isn't "bastante" an ambiguous word? At least in Brazilian Portuguese it can mean both "a lot" and "enough". I could understand all the text since Spanish is mandatory in schools here, but do you think that he used "bastante" as enough or as "a lot" there?

Edit 1: Eh, now that I read it again, it really seems he used it as "a lot". It's just the way he described the album afterwards that confused me.

Edit 2: Could it be possible that he didn't receive a high quality version of the album?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:02:40 PM by RMGadelha »

Offline The Fatal Tragedy

• I'm that "Awesome" guy.
By "midi" sounding, I think he means some of the drums sound triggered (like the extremely cheesy snare effect used in Images and Words)
Embrace the days; don't turn away. Life's true intent needs patience.

Karma starts the signal...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I like the snare on Images And Words. I would be pleased if it returned.

Offline Nest777

I've made my best to translate it  ;)
70 minutes of CD. I’m going to listen to it for the first time.

I’ve listened to it many times. I’m not trolling. Other forum users have had the honor of listening to it, too. My favorite track by now is The Looking Glass, it has a strong Rush vibe. Very Limelight. For me, it’s way better than A Dramatic Turn of Events… it follows the same path, though.

I’ve listened to it thanks to Tio Emilio. To sum up, in the first listen it seems like a continuation of ADTOE, it’s not a turning point, nor a back to the roots, nothing, hope nobody’s waiting for any surprises. If you liked the last one (I suppose everyone here liked it), you’ll like this one. That’s why I just don’t understand why it is self-titled. In the sonic aspect, I think the drums sound awful (I’m talking about the sound, specifically), in general everything sounds a little worse than in a CD, but the drums are NOT WELL, it sounds like an electronic kit. Seems like MIDI… It’s also surprised me that Rudess has had very few participation on the record, restricting himself to backing keyboards and some piano stuff. I remember just a few solos. Less presence, in general.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Well, I really loved ADTOE, So if it's indeed way better, that's a good sign for me. No mentions of Illumination Theory and what he said about the drums worry me a bit though...

Offline VincentMDO

70min? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I was hoping for a 78min+ album.
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
Can't CDs only hold 74 mins?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

The Whirlwind says no.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
According to Wikipedia, ADTOE has 77:05 minutes. Well, that podcast said that other than the 20 minute epic, there were short songs as well.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni

Radiohead...?

RADIOHEAD?

RADIOHEAD??!!

Is Radiohead even kind of considered progressive around here?
>2013
>Having such a bad opinion

ISHYGDDT

Radiohead has got to be one of the most progressive artists of the decade.
Oh, I agree with you. I was flabbergasted myself that someone on a DT board, who have been using the same trick since the first album, could say something bad about Radioheads progressiveness.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni

FII, SFAM, 8VM, SC, BC&SL, and ADTOE all exceed 74 minutes. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
He says that DT12 is better than ADTOE, but that they just followed the same direction.

I don't see how anyone's shocked by this after the last four albums. Not that it's *that* bad of a thing if it works, but that's almost a decade of pretty much not breaking new ground. I think they're done trying to do that.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
70 mins? Would that not make it like the 2nd shortest album after IAW?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Jesus Christ, DTF:

*typical awesome seoafs rant*

Thank you, my friend.

Oh, and The Voxyn is obviously definitely right sbout the Radiohead debate.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
 :lol at the "Only 70 minutes?" Comments

Offline Deve

Damn, I was really hoping the drums to be more prevalent on the new record.  :-\ A huge reason I  got into DT is because the drums are right there in your face. Probably the main reason ADTOE didn't do it for me.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni

FII, SFAM, 8VM, SC, BC&SL, and ADTOE all exceed 74 minutes.

Oh yeah... They must have better data storage than I learned in Music history, my bad