Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 912681 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
NO! LIES!

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
UHMM they released cover and tracklist + epizode 2 ( sing something???!  :biggrin: ) and now?.. Now is dead silence? What a hell?   

Something big is coming !!! :metal

Yes, something big is coming. An album  :lol

It's only been "dead silence" for less than a week.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone under 10,000+ posts is a newb in my book.

Offline lyfeternl

I really don't know why that section is so controversial. It's just another cool little DT instrumental section. I don't why it's enough to make people feel that strongly. Each to their own, of course!

:iagree: Moments like the tickle section (and it's ilk) are one of the major reasons I listen to Dream Theater at all. If I didn't like things like that, I'd listen to other bands.
Exactly!

I have to agree and say the "tickle" section within LNF is pretty much awesome. Seeing them play it live during the US tour for ADTOE...? Mind. Blown.
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Bastard...

:rollin
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Bastard...

:rollin

Indeed, considering I registered before PC.  :lol

Offline Red_Queen

UHMM they released cover and tracklist + epizode 2 ( sing something???!  :biggrin: ) and now?.. Now is dead silence? What a hell?   

Yes, something big is coming. An album  :lol

It's only been "dead silence" for less than a week.

Album not yet.. I hope for single !

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
LOL ok!

Thanks,
Dave

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Me want album.

Me not like waiting.

Me break something.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

Whatcha talking about, n00b?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Me want album.

Me not like waiting.

Me break something.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Hoping they release a single before they hit the summer tour circuit.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Lost Not Forgotten - My least favorite part of Lost Not Forgotten is most of the lyrics.

Newbs - I just turned 2 here on DTF, I'm still just a baby, but like to think that I've been here "a while" now.

New DT album - I had a dream I heard one of the songs, it was the most perfect sounding guitar I have ever heard.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

You'd think so. The opportunity to see new material live, even if it's just one new song, should increase the draw.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
these threads kinda suck between details and reveals. but i cant stop checking just in case

-6 year n00b

Offline Setlist Scotty

You'd think so. The opportunity to see new material live, even if it's just one new song, should increase the draw.
Did I miss something? I thought it's been established they're not going out on tour until 2014, and by then the album will have been out for some time. No need to release a single just so they can perform it live as they've done on previous cycles.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I was talking about DT touring in my head. Sorry, should have been more specific. I hope they release a single before they start touring in my mind again.

If only JM stopped blabbering during songs on those tours.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
N00b.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I was talking about DT touring in my head. Sorry, should have been more specific. I hope they release a single before they start touring in my mind again.

I WANT IN YOUR HEAD
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

I WANT  YOUR HEAD

Jay!  Send a private message.  Geez.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...

I WANT  YOUR HEAD

Jay!  Send a private message.  Geez.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline dparrott

I hope they make a t-shirt using the DT12 cover.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member

Yeah the hell!!
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline matte.braso

currently in progarchives.com DT12 has been ranked #1 in terms of average user ratings (I wonder who has already listened to it :huh:)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Only four people.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline matte.braso

lucky b******s :biggrin:

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
currently in progarchives.com DT12 has been ranked #1 in terms of average user ratings (I wonder who has already listened to it :huh:)

Can anyone rate it? How can we be sure the ratings are actually from people who have heard the album?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Jesus Christ, DTF:

1)  "Prog" is nothing other than "progressive" without the last couple syllables.  There's no reason to get upset when people say DT is a progressive band, because they are a progressive band.  That's the name of the genre.  Whether you think DT has pushed the boundaries of music is another matter.  This conversation makes about as much sense as it would to talk about whether Zep was technically a "rock" band since the band members are carbon-based life forms rather than rocks.

2)  No, DT are not jazz musicians.  Go listen to some Weather Report and check back in if you think SFAM has jazz sections.

3)  The tickle section kicks ass.

Okay, I think I'm up to speed.  How about that new Dream Theater album?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
3)  The tickle section kicks ass.

Son, I am disappoint.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
the tickle section rules. and its short. really a petty complaint in the end if you don't like it

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
Lost Not Forgotten - My least favorite part of Lost Not Forgotten is most of the lyrics.

What? One song I love the theme and lyrics!
Thanks,
Dave

Offline robwebster

Jesus Christ, DTF:

1)  "Prog" is nothing other than "progressive" without the last couple syllables.  There's no reason to get upset when people say DT is a progressive band, because they are a progressive band.  That's the name of the genre.  Whether you think DT has pushed the boundaries of music is another matter.  This conversation makes about as much sense as it would to talk about whether Zep was technically a "rock" band since the band members are carbon-based life forms rather than rocks.
Well! Not especially. It's a bit more like debating whether Zep were necessarily rock and roll cos the name of the genre "hard rock" derives from rock and roll. It's about semantics-then and semantics-now, and in this case, it's about the mutation of what was an adjective in the seventies into what's become a noun - and the curious position we're left in where the noun hasn't necessarily rendered the adjective redundant, it's just pushed its meaning (rather than its definition) a few metres to the left.

But frankly, having forged a new subgenre almost single-handedly, it's hard not to grant DT both variants of the phrase "progressive rock." That's... not a boast many bands get to make, and sticking to a signature style twenty-five years on doesn't diminish the fact that they were the ones that defined a minor subculture.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 04:56:46 PM by robwebster »

Offline matte.braso

Can anyone rate it? How can we be sure the ratings are actually from people who have heard the album?

we don't, but the site is quite serious about the prog topic, I don't think it's a joke, but it might be...

Offline Pepe108

Here in Spain, there is a famous musical journalist called "Tío Emilio" who likes to discuss music with fans in a forum, and he just received... Well...:

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni

Radiohead...?

RADIOHEAD?

RADIOHEAD??!!

Is Radiohead even kind of considered progressive around here?
>2013
>Having such a bad opinion

ISHYGDDT