Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 912678 times)

Offline Thematt202

Soooo, about this new DT album....
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
"We've fully explored all of the elements that make us unique, from the epic and intense to the atmospheric and cinematic."

Any thoughts on the last word of JP's sentence about the new album? Somehow it drew my attention.

I'm thinking the Fsr From Heaven reprise at the end of BAI...it reminded people of the lion king.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline aprilethereal

I really don't expect another SDOIT from DT.

I hope you're right.

we should obviously go with what DT guys think.

:huh:

People can have their own opinions, man.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Clearly the forum is bored, and can't stay on track when bored.  :police:

Any ideas on which song will be the most insane? Will we have another noodle section, like in LNF??
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Hopefully not.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.

Any ideas on which song will be the most insane? Will we have another noodle section, like in LNF??

Well, Enigma Machine might be a good candidate.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Hopefully not.

:sadpanda:
The "tickle section" of Lost Not Forgotten is one of my least favorite DT moments ever. Which is a shame, because I really like the rest of the song.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:22:27 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me

Well, Enigma Machine might be a good candidate.

Was it confirmed somewhere already that Enigma Machine is the instrumental?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Hopefully not.

The "tickle section" of Lost Not Forgotten is one of my most favorite DT momenta ever.
FTFY  :biggrin:

Really? I mean, opinions and everything, but I really can't comprehend anyone liking that. And I usually like DT's unisons.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I really don't know why that section is so controversial. It's just another cool little DT instrumental section. I don't why it's enough to make people feel that strongly. Each to their own, of course!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DTF.org Member
Hopefully not.

The "tickle section" of Lost Not Forgotten is one of my most favorite DT momenta ever.

Really? I mean, opinions and everything, but I really can't comprehend anyone liking that. And I usually like DT's unisons.
:omg: I'm liking something no one else likes....

Liking music is not a opinion for me, I don't have a reason for everything I like. I find that section cool that's all.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
That's fine. I just can't stand it. :lol

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
I'm also in the boat of not liking the "tickle" section, but I can't articulate why exactly. Maybe because it's so contrived and unmusical?

• DTF.org Member
Just let it mature and someday in the future it may even click for you.  :biggrin:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
I would hope so. Like I said, I really like the rest of the song.

Offline aprilethereal

It's one of the reasons why LNF is my least favourite song on ADTOE.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I really don't know why that section is so controversial. It's just another cool little DT instrumental section. I don't why it's enough to make people feel that strongly. Each to their own, of course!

:iagree: Moments like the tickle section (and it's ilk) are one of the major reasons I listen to Dream Theater at all. If I didn't like things like that, I'd listen to other bands.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
I'm a big fan of the "tickle section" mainly because I understand the structure of it. I think it's just the kind of section that only DT can pull off well. It's part of what makes them who and what they are. It's one of the many, many things of course.

On the subject of the new album, my thought process has been changing from "I want a single/sample now!" to "I want to wait as long as possible before hearing anything". It's just so much more rewarding to hear something completely for the first time, instead of having that one song you've heard already. It's not such a big deal to me when the single is the first track on the album, like with ADTOE, but that's probably not happening this time. The battle of Patience vs Temptation will be an especially difficult one this time around.

So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
I'm ok with the tickle section (although it's my least favorite part of LNF), but I hope there won't be anything like the unison at the end of This Dying Soul on the new album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

:iagree: Moments like the tickle section (and it's ilk) are one of the major reasons I listen to Dream Theater at all. If I didn't like things like that, I'd listen to other bands.
Exactly!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member

This.

Bring on the quirkiness!

Offline MarkFitDT

Hopefully not.

The "tickle section" of Lost Not Forgotten is one of my least favorite DT momenta ever. Which is a shame, because I really like the rest of the song.

I absolutely love the tickle section  :metal

Offline jdprsaga

The "tickle section" of Lost Not Forgotten is one of my least favorite DT momenta ever. Which is a shame, because I really like the rest of the song.

Thats my favorite part from the song, I'm not really eager to hear the rest of the song! when LNF pops in my playlist.. y play the intro to the end of the tickle section about 4 times.. and usually then I skip the song

ps. i do think the chorus is very cool

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Hopefully not.

I like the "tickle section" for what it is, but I can understand others not liking it. It's almost incoherent what's going on. I hope they have more complex sections like it on the new album. I think with Mangini being an active writing partner (not writing drums to an already recorded piece) future tickle sections will feel more cohesive.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Hopefully not.

I absolutely love the tickle section  :metal
Blast, I just noticed my typo.  :facepalm:

Offline robwebster

I've seen that definition here before - who came up with "prog" and "progressive" being two different labels? Where and when was it established? By who?
It's not an establishment, but it's more the way the words are used.

Prog is derived from "progressive," which was a description of how the music was written. Music that belongs to prog the genre, however, is not, nowadays, always progressive the adjective, so the definitions have naturally diverged ever so slightly.

There are lots of sound-alikes in the genre, who aren't so keen to tread new ground as to pay tribute to the old stuff - not a criticism, Transatlantic are prog-not-progressive and they're widely considered to be brilliant.

Offline matte.braso

what I think 'bout the tickle section? I cut it in my edited version on youtube, so....

Offline Red_Queen

UHMM they released cover and tracklist + epizode 2 ( sing something???!  :biggrin: ) and now?.. Now is dead silence? What a hell?   

Something big is coming !!! :metal

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
So many new people  :o
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Indeed. Hurrah, I'm not a newbie anymore.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Yeah, and you're one of them dude! Post count doesn't determine your newbie status.  :lol
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Yeah, and you're one of them dude! Post count doesn't determine your newbie status.  :lol

By that logic Shadow Ninja is indeed a newbie as well, being only 12 days older on this forum than myself.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin