Author Topic: Very Bad Day Sunday  (Read 684 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Very Bad Day Sunday
« on: July 08, 2013, 06:07:39 AM »
Bit of a long read. Sorry.
I am writing this as a form of therapy for myself because I feel sick to my stomach and quite lost today as I start my work week.

My Sunday started well enough with me doing a vocal rehearsal to prepare to audition for a new band. My last one ended, but that's irrelevant for now.
I went to the audition. They loved my vocals and wanted me to join their band. I told them I need to consider what I want to do. Not sure its the right fit for me.
So I am driving home talking to my wife on Blue tooth for awhile and hearing her tone is not quite right. I didn't question her and when we got off the phone I forgot about it and just listened to music.

I arrived home and walked into the kitchen where I heard my wife doing something. I approached her to give her a kiss and she turned to me with a pale expression of sadness. I said, what? Whats wrong? She couldn't speak and her lip started to quiver and her eyes welled up with tears.
I asked again, what it it? What happened?
Its that moment when you know your going to hear something you don't want to hear and its not going to be easy to hear.

At this point I feel a pit in my stomach not knowing what was coming. For some strange reason the first thing that came into my mind was my mom who is 78 and in so so health. I really didn't expect to hear what she said although in hind sight I should have.

She finally opened her mouth and spoke.
Sobbing she looked at me and said, "Casey died"
I nearly dropped from the shock. Now I knew she was battling for her life and fighting with all her might but I just didn't want to believe she could lose.
For anyone who doesn't know, Casey is the 13 year old daughter of 2 of my oldest lifelong friends/family. She has battled bone cancer for 2 years now, actually beating it for a short period before it came back.

Over the past couple of months their has been many benefits locally for Casey.
Her community has been amazing in the love they showed.
They sent the entire family of 5 to Disney/Universal for a 2 week vacation. They sent them to Broadway to see Wicked. They sent then to Cedar Point in Ohio for a week.
They held a special prom 3 weeks ago for Casey (Casey's Crusade) because she was too sick to attend her own when it happened. Half the city went as well as many friends and family.

These things should have been indications that things were not well. I understood this but refused to believe the end was near.
To hear my wife tell me this girl I watched grow up from an infant was gone forever crushed me.
I am so lost this morning I just don't want to leave the house.

I don't know when the services are but I am scared to death to be apart of them. I don't even know what they will do because I would expect hundreds of people who have been touched by Casey's fight over the past 2 years will want to pay respects.
As I said, I think I just need to write this to help me cope.
Thank you for reading.

The picture below is Casey at her prom a couple weeks back and with my daughter Bri on top as pretty much babies. They grew up together so my 12 year daughter is having a very hard time right now.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Very Bad Day Sunday
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 06:12:04 AM »
Damn bro, that's rough.  Life is simply not fair sometimes, what a terrible tragedy.  The service will be tough, but you will find the strength to be strong for her family.

Makes you wonder how life works sometimes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 06:22:24 AM »
You guys and Casey's family are in my family's prayers tonight. Stay strong, Tick.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 06:24:30 AM »
The world does not seem right when a young child dies. It is something you can never shake if you've been touch by that child.  My thoughts are with that family as well as yours Tick.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 07:08:20 AM »
I'm praying for peace and comfort to find Casey's family, and yours.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 07:08:32 AM »
The world does not seem right when a young child dies. It is something you can never shake if you've been touch by that child.  My thoughts are with that family as well as yours Tick.
Amen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 07:15:20 AM »
Amen.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 07:40:37 AM »
Sorry to hear that.

It's nice that she had such an outpouring of support from the community. She probably had more fun near the end of her life than she did for the rest, and maybe that can give you and others some comfort.  Death is never easy.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 07:41:40 AM »
I'm so sorry, Tick.  Such a beautiful little girl,   :'(

My thoughts are with you and your people.  Thank you for sharing this with us.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 08:44:05 AM »
You're in my prayers, Tick.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »
Sorry to hear that.

It's nice that she had such an outpouring of support from the community. She probably had more fun near the end of her life than she did for the rest, and maybe that can give you and others some comfort.  Death is never easy.
The one thing that chokes me up the most when thinking about Casey's battle is how strong a fighter she was. She knew her plight didn't look good but she constantly told her family to be strong no matter what happens.

Another thing about her that was amazing was the fact she spent much of her remaining time going to Yale children's hospital to help younger kids with cancer deal with their situation and try to encourage them to fight and offer her love and support.
She was such an amazing kid.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 09:39:27 AM »
What a brave, strong and amazing girl the world has lost. So sorry for you and all families she has so obviously touched in a way the English language cannot describe adequately.

She is at peace now ... It's not fair, but hopefully there is some comfort in knowing that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion