Author Topic: F****** blockchains, how do they work?  (Read 1914 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
F****** blockchains, how do they work?
« on: August 28, 2018, 07:31:42 AM »
Instead of posting customer hashes to a public digital ledger, Surety creates a unique hash value of all the new seals added to the database each week and publishes this hash value in the New York Times. The hash is placed in a small ad in the Times classified section under the heading “Notices & Lost and Found” and has appeared once a week since 1995.

As Ethereum’s cofounder Vitalik Buterin joked on Twitter, if someone wanted to compromise Surety’s blockchain they could “make fake newspapers with a different chain of hashes and circulate them more widely.” Given that the New York Times has an average daily print circulation of about 570,000 copies, this would probably be the stunt of the century.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/j5nzx4/what-was-the-first-blockchain
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:28:30 PM by jasc15 »

Offline pg1067

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Is this a block thread?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I don't know whether to be scared, amused, angry, or to go shut off my credit cards.   

Offline jasc15

It's a very simple low-tech application of the blockchain idea.  I have a very tenuous understanding of blockchain, but in the context I have read about it, there was always a high tech environment it existed in.  Having the hash physically printed hundreds of thousands of times every week in a newspaper is a pretty clever way to ensure its validity.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I have no idea what you are talking about.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
I have never figured out what a blockchain actually is and I don't plan to find out

Offline jasc15

I think we need Rumborak here.  I posted because I found it interesting, and thought others here would know more than I do and would also find it interesting.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I honestly don't understand Bitcoin/blockchains. I read about it once, a while ago, and I'm sure immediately I thought "ok, I sort of get it", but nope it's all gone again.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
This thread is literally the first time I have ever even heard the term "blockchain," and I now know nothing more about it than I did before I ever heard of it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I love what an old-man forum this is. Literally nobody understands blockchain, not even the guy who started the thread. :lol :heart

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
This thread is literally the first time I have ever even heard the term "blockchain," and I now know nothing more about it than I did before I ever heard of it.

Same here. Not even sure why clicked on the thread. Seemed like the chance to learn something. Also the subject being in [ ]s made it stand out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jasc15

You've certainly heard of Bitcoin, and blockchain is a term that has reached the public awareness alongside it.  In the context of Bitcoin, blockchain is the public ledger that everyone has access to, and there are many many copies of, so the world knows that I paid you 1 bitcoin and you received 1 bitcoin.  Neither of us can claim that the transaction didn't occur because everyone else has a record of this transaction.

The image I posted above is a public ledger, but for the purpose of maintaining the veracity of a set of controlled documents rather than financial transactions.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Let me use mental telepathy to contact him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Blockchains aren't all that difficult really. Imagine you're kneading dough, and at every fold you're inserting a raisin at some specific spot. After 500 kneads, you have a really unique piece of dough that is virtually impossible to recreate or fake.

In the actual application, the raisin is a money transaction (user A transferring money to user B), and the dough is something called a "hash", which is a computer science thing, but the important part, to stick with the analogy, is that it's very easy to fold your dough another fold, but it's virtually impossible to "unfold" once it's done.

So, you have this ever-marching progression of folds, each fold incorporating the entire history of raisins/money transactions.

The folding is called "Bitcoin mining", but so that it doesn't grow out of bounds, they make it increasingly hard to fold. Because as an incentive to fold, you actually get money in return. So, the interesting thing about it that the act of recording the transactions, i.e. the folding, also makes you money, thus keeping alive the whole thing.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Well done.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Thank you!

I'm amazed I still count as the resident geek on this forum :lol

BTW, there are issues with blockchains that the usual Bitcoin bois will gloss over, but IMO they are serious detractors to the whole thing, and why, IMO, blockchains will stay niche.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 04:27:14 PM by rumborak »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
I love what an old-man forum this is. Literally nobody understands blockchain, not even the guy who started the thread. :lol :heart
I'm 25 and in the tech industry and I still have no clue what a blockchain is  :P

I'm also willfully choosing to not read the above posts so I can remain ignorant

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Yup. Color me lost.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Thank you!

BTW, there are issues with blockchains that the usual Bitcoin bois will gloss over, but IMO they are serious detractors to the whole thing, and why, IMO, blockchains will stay niche.
I know that energy costs are very close to the tipping point where mining a bitcoin costs more than the bitcoin. I was recently in the market for a used graphics card and there's a real panic going on with the [former] miners.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

All this talk about doughy folds reminds me of a blind date that I went on years ago...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline jasc15

link=topic=52847.msg2468247#msg2468247 date=1535494425]I know that energy costs are very close to the tipping point where mining a bitcoin costs more than the bitcoin.

That's why you use other people's energy.

https://nymag.com/selectall/2017/08/city-employee-fined-for-mining-bitcoins-on-work-computer.html

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Thank you!

I know that energy costs are very close to the tipping point where mining a bitcoin costs more than the bitcoin. I was recently in the market for a used graphics card and there's a real panic going on with the [former] miners.

The energy consumption to mine is one of my peeves. Seriously, in a world of climate change, do we really need a scheme that has pure energy waste as one of its pillars? Bitcoin mining already wastes more energy than all of Iceland's homes combined.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Well done.

I thought you meant King actually calling Rumbo telepathically.

And PowerSlave, thanks for sharing. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Thank you!

The energy consumption to mine is one of my peeves. Seriously, in a world of climate change, do we really need a scheme that has pure energy waste as one of its pillars? Bitcoin mining already wastes more energy than all of Iceland's homes combined.

how does that work?   I thought the whole kit and caboodle was virtual (and thus the need for the blockchain to begin with)?   What's the energy spend?  Computational power? 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: F****** blockchains, how do they work?
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2018, 06:56:47 PM »
Yeah, it's all computational, and the problem is that it's not like it gets easier over time due to Moore's Law or something. There's an artificial race as part of the scheme that makes it increasingly harder (i.e. more energy needs to be spent)  to do the folding.

Which then brings up the next problem of blockchains. The whole process kinda relies (in terms of security) on a lot of different people doing the folding, but because of economy of scale, theres now fewer and fewer people (or dare I say, organizations writing with Cyrillic alphabets) doing the folding because only they can economically blow the energy willy-nilly. So, not only are you blowing increasing amounts of energy out of the window, but the ability to do so gets concentrated with increasingly sketchy actors. The moment one of those actors dominates more than 50% of the folding, they are now in a position to manipulate it in any way they want. And poof, there goes everybody's money, or some questionable organization finally gets the money for the weapons they always wanted.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2018, 03:41:11 AM »
Totally relevant to the discussion of bit coin and being worth mining vs power costs while including Napalm Death and comedy

Gilfoyle's Bitcoin Warning - Silicon Valley

Good discussion rumbo, I've always been really hesitant to embrace bitcoin and therefore I've only ever given myself or looked to learn a little about blockchain, but I think you summed it up really well.

However, I am not sure what the original point was with regards to the new york times?  Some company was publicly releasing the hash for their own records so that their data would not be manipulated?  I'm not sure of the point and if they were doing this without people knowing for all these years for their own sake, or was there other reasons that I am not understanding?

Offline jasc15

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2018, 06:37:22 AM »
However, I am not sure what the original point was with regards to the new york times?  Some company was publicly releasing the hash for their own records so that their data would not be manipulated?  I'm not sure of the point and if they were doing this without people knowing for all these years for their own sake, or was there other reasons that I am not understanding?
I just found it interesting that there has been an analog application of blockchain for 23 years, not at all related to crypto-currency, when it seemed (to me at least) to be a totally new technology. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2018, 08:51:41 AM »
When I opened this thread yesterday, I gave it a cursory read and closed the fucker totally lost. It's comforting to know others are as lost as I was. Though I got to admit I'm even lost with Rumbo's excellent dough metaphor, though that may be I'm a chef, not a baker...

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2018, 09:02:29 AM »
That would be a good title for DT's next album.  Blockchain.  They released it, you heard it and no one can deny it.  You're welcome.  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2018, 09:05:44 AM »
That would be a good title for DT's next album.  Blockchain.  They released it, you heard it and no one can deny it.  You're welcome.  :2metal:

I'd call it "The Blockchain" but I think thats actually a solid album title for a prog band  :metal

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Thank you!

how does that work?   I thought the whole kit and caboodle was virtual (and thus the need for the blockchain to begin with)?   What's the energy spend?  Computational power?
For a more down to Earth description consider thousands of normal folks mining from home. For years people were building custom computer rigs with 8 graphics cards in them and leaving them to run 24/7/365. For reasons I'm not real clear on GPUs are far better at folding than CPUs. The R9 290x I picked up on eBay uses 350w at load. A GPU in my computer would see that for an hour or two per night. A miner would run at that constantly with as many of those cards as he could afford. Now he's burning 2 or 3 kw every hour. For a while that was profitable, but eventually folding became slow enough that you couldn't earn enough coin to pay your light bill.

I don't know anything about it but that might be why everybody has switched to mining etherium. When that gets too hard to fold they'll move to the newest coin on the block.
E.F. Benson

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2018, 11:23:28 AM »
To me, ETH's open source is the way to bring the blockchain idea into most avenues of commerce and information; I could see applications for the blockchain model for my own niche in the business world for Title/Abstracts for real estate transactions... imagine being able to almost instantaneously see the chain of title for a property and provide that information to a lender or underwriter... would cut 7-10 business days from the transaction in my estimation.

I've always understood the coins (BTC, ETH, LTC, etc) as a means of funding the actual blockchain ledger itself... a way to decentralize how we pay each other for goods and services and a way that we (the collective body of purchasers and sellers) could control the information regarding our transactions in a way that could be (in theory) more secure for that data than what is in-place today.  Of course, Rumby is right regarding fewer and fewer entities controlling that ledger.

I think now that major, major players are entering the blockchain game (JP Morgan and other entities that first snubbed their noses at blockchain) we may see it creep into mainstream transactions... I don't think that the tech is going away anytime soon and the arbitrage between coin and the world's currencies is making a lot of people very wealthy.  We'll have to see what happens in late Sept when the SEC reviews the Crypto ETF again to see if we get another bump like last year's bubble.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar