Author Topic: The Vacation Thread v. Sharing is caring  (Read 14284 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The Vacation Thread v. Sharing is caring
« on: July 03, 2013, 08:00:40 PM »
Seems as though we don't have a thread just about our vacations.  There was an old one buried from a long time ago about where people would like to vacation, but let's have one about our actual vacations (and better to do this, rather than hijack the post your pic thread).  As some may recall, Jingle.family went to Disneyworld last month, and here's some of the evidence.

We went June 1-9, and hit 'Star Wars Weekends' for the last two weekends it was on.  They've been doing this for a number of years, not just since they bought Star Wars.  Hollywood Studios gets all "Star Wars'd" up, extra SW characters roaming the park (completely "in" character too), and they bring in some Tier 1 and Tier 2/3 names from Star Wars (Peter Mayhew and Billie D. were the big names in attendance the weekends we were there).

This was so cool... our very last afternoon there, we were just taking in a little bit more of the park (Hollywood Studios), and mulling around a bit.  Well, out comes Chewbacca from the behind the scenes areas, walking to wherever his 'station' was for pics and stuff.  Jingle.son walks by, and gets the most casual hi-five, like it's no biggie.

Jingle.daughter and I on our ceremonial first ride - Alice's teacup

On the Buzz Lightyear ride, something was up and they stopped the ride for like 5 minutes.  So we were able to fire away at all the available targets, and I maxed out my points!!!  (ok, big whoop really)

In front of the new Fantasyland that's partially still under construction.  Ariel's Grotto

Me and Mrs.Jingle in front of the lake at Epcot

Mrs. Jingle hammin' it up

Water fun:

Jingle.daughter was not impressed at getting soaked on Splash Mountain.  What did she expect?

Front row on Expedition Everest

Jingle.troll

Me sipping beers in "Germany", and sending the pic to King and Jackie.  What a beauty Altenmünster it was!

Posing in "Italy" with King Triton

And the pièce de résistance... As part of Star Wars weekends, they had this station called D-Tech me.  You get your face 3D scanned, and then they can build a Stormtrooper action figure with your face, or have you frozen in carbonite.  They're like ceramic 12" figures.  I got mine already, still waiting on jingle.son's.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:26:05 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Vacation Thread v. Disney ... World>Land
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 08:05:28 PM »
No matter how old I am I love going to Disney.  1 week is not enough time to see everything.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 08:11:53 PM »
Nice! 

Never have been.  Too expensive for our family growing up.  Never really inclined as an adult.  Looks fun with kids.   :azn:
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 08:20:17 PM »
We've been there once. It was free via Make a Wish (my brother had cancer at that time), for an entire week with a villa near the park, a place every child would love to go to (Give Kids the World)
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 07:23:13 AM »
Great pics! I love Disney!!! :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
That looks like it was a fun time!! We are waiting a couple more years to make the trip to Disneyland....the youngest is only three so we're going to wait until he's five at least. 
 You have a great looking family Chad....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 11:45:49 AM »
Awesome shots! The Star Wars thing is cool.

We go back in 6 weeks! Can't wait.

I'll try and post some Disney pics tomorrow from our last couple trips.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 12:03:17 PM »
That looks like it was a fun time!! We are waiting a couple more years to make the trip to Disneyland....the youngest is only three so we're going to wait until he's five at least. 
 You have a great looking family Chad....

Thanks Gary. 5 is the perfect age ... That was how old mine were the first time we went.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »
I personally don't get much from amusement park holidays (or amusement parks in general) but looks like you guys had fun  :tup.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »
I personally don't get much from amusement park holidays (or amusement parks in general) but looks like you guys had fun  :tup.

It's not really an amusement park per se. Its really a world within a world. We refer to it as being "in the bubble".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 02:17:57 PM »
jingle.boy, I've worked at Walt Disney World for 7 years, and my family and I were annual pass holders for before that. I worked at a wonderful ride called The Great Movie Ride for many years, then did stuff with Park Events and now Broadcast Productions. I am actually moving to California later this month (sad because i'll be missing TAC's visit!) to pursue my film production career, and guess where my foot in the door has landed....Production department in Disneyland! I can't escape it  :lol

I love seeing pictures like these; a family having a great time. Walt Disney thought of the idea of creating Disneyland in the first place because he was at an amusement park watching his kids ride rides he was too big for, and wanted to create something everyone from a young child to an elderly man or woman can enjoy.

Did you and your family get a chance to check out Hyperspace Hoopla during your Star Wars Weekends visit? And on behalf of all Floridians, I'm sorry about our bi-polar weather.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 05:02:16 PM »
Heading down there for our annual trip this Saturday. Drive from Jersey to WDW. This will be our 29th trip (7 with our twin 6 year old boys). I absolutely love the place. Will be there for 12 nights.

Offline Cable

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 06:11:48 PM »
No matter how old I am I love going to Disney.  1 week is not enough time to see everything.

Same here and agreed. Unless one has a tiring pace, and then it's not a real vacation.

Nice! 

Never have been.  Too expensive for our family growing up.  Never really inclined as an adult.  Looks fun with kids.   :azn:

Great as an adult, trust me! But yes, the price is insane, and only continues to be so and rising. Not only the gate cost, but food and merchandise is about double what it would cost outside of the compound.

I know Disney is an US thing, with all the good and bad of that. I don't really like them placing parks in other countries as they have. Comparing Disney parks, at least WDW to any other non Disney theme or amusement park is mostly unfair. One can go to WDW's property (30,000 owned acres I think), never go into one of the four main theme parks and easily make a vacation out of that. The food outside of the parks, hotels, and activities are enough to fill up time.

And stuff in the park is very different than most standard rides. Who else spends 200 million dollars on one ride? Waiting in line is sometimes an experience in itself for some of the attractions.
---

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 06:25:30 PM »
I would probably rather go abroad or see more of the US for the money, I think.  I tend  to like nature.  :)
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Cable

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
I get that. And honestly, for many reasons including there never ending price increases, that is also my personal direction of future travel ;D

With the increasing presence of Disney (ESPN, Marvel, Lucasfilm), they are as entrenched with the US culture as much as something like McDonalds. So I think at the least many kids and families view it as part of being in this culture.

That said, I heard an analogy on an amusement park forum; for the US culture (consumerism angle mainly), Disney World is the Mecca for many US families. So many pinch money and to go once in a lifetime, if at all. And it is kind of unfortunate that it is that way.

/end thread hijack

Sorry Jingle, looks like the entire fam enjoyed the vacation! And even your adolescent ones? (Not always an easy sell there)
---

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 06:48:23 PM »
I get that. And honestly, for many reasons including there never ending price increases, that is also my personal direction of future travel ;D

With the increasing presence of Disney (ESPN, Marvel, Lucasfilm), they are as entrenched with the US culture as much as something like McDonalds. So I think at the least many kids and families view it as part of being in this culture.

That said, I heard an analogy on an amusement park forum; for the US culture (consumerism angle mainly), Disney World is the Mecca for many US families. So many pinch money and to go once in a lifetime, if at all. And it is kind of unfortunate that it is that way.

/end thread hijack

Sorry Jingle, looks like the entire fam enjoyed the vacation! And even your adolescent ones? (Not always an easy sell there)

Why would anyone not want to go to Disneyworld/land?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 06:52:54 PM »
Meh

I still don't get it

Glad ya'll had fun!

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cable

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 08:55:57 PM »

Due to lack of in your face, no theme frills thrill rides found at many fairs or some amusement parks (Cedar Point). Often Disney is viewed as for kids only. And some of that may be a little true at Disneyland Resort, as the main draw and biggest of two parks is Disneyland (MKingdom). Universal even ran an add maybe 5 years ago, stating something like "tired of fairy tales and pixie dust?"
---

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 09:15:43 PM »
Chad, you look like a badass in that first pic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 09:39:33 PM »
Chad, you look like a badass in that first pic.
I think it's the fanny pac that really pushes the intimidation factor over the top  :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 10:07:45 PM »
Vader is looking seriously out of shape. Maul looks like a puss. That said, I miss Disneyland/world and that looks supremely awesome. I must go again in the next couple years.

P.S. Fanny packs and pocket protectors eff tea double you.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 10:24:15 PM »
Our family stayed a week down at the in-laws condo at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. I am so thankful to have an 'escape' like that so close to home (3 hours door to door) where we can go to relax and have some family time. I'm teaching the boys how to fish...they've honed their swimming skills....it really is a huge blessing to be able to retreat down there a half dozen times a summer (or so). We took our vacation down there this summer to save on some cash and it was a great time filled with some interesting happenings. https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37766.0

But other than that eventful family pic day...we did go to a water park called 'Big Surf'. Our youngest (3 years old) stayed with the Grandparents while we had our two older boys just running from slide to slide for 8 hours. It was fun and exhausting all at once. Here's a few pics of that day:

We hung out at the wave pool a lot...this pic was taken during the 'down time' between waves..

A couple 'wave' shots of me and our middle son (5.5 years):

My oldest (7 years)

Me, the wife...two of our boys and her sister:

There was a ride there that was a large half pipe deal...like a straight drop it seemed...I first went down tandem with my sister in law then we all went down individually. It put your stomach in your throat for a few seconds but it was fun enough to do a few times:

Me and the boys did a lot of fishing off the docks. It's really nice because there are so many little sun fish and blue gill that they catch a lot of fish, the fish bite frequently enough to where they don't get bored and it's fun for them. In these two pics a storm front was moving in and literally as soon as the hook and worm hit the water the fish were biting...we caught over 20 blue gill/sun fish in a half hour or so...it was fun.

We did some boating and swimming as well:

My father in law throws me the keys to the mack daddy pontoon boat he owns every time we're down there because I don't drink...which allows him to 'enjoy' himself more freely.

The little man...(3 years old)

Some lake swimming shots:

Me and the little man...

And...our little man turned 3 when we were down there...so...

A family pic that actually was taken the day we left for vacation at Purina Farms. We stopped and watched a dog Frisbee and diving show on the way down.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 10:46:43 PM »
gmillerdrake, other than going to a baseball game, there is no other classic father/son time than fishing. Your boys looked like they had a ton of fun!  :tup

Due to lack of in your face, no theme frills thrill rides found at many fairs or some amusement parks (Cedar Point). Often Disney is viewed as for kids only. And some of that may be a little true at Disneyland Resort, as the main draw and biggest of two parks is Disneyland (MKingdom). Universal even ran an add maybe 5 years ago, stating something like "tired of fairy tales and pixie dust?"

Oooh boy....

That's just Universal marketing to try to draw crowds in. Especially here in Orlando, the Walt Disney World and Universal rivalry is infamous. Universal just becomes the lesser man by taking shots at it's opponent. But is Disney worried? Hell no. Even with the opening of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Disney was still having more guests come into their resort and having more positive numbers than Universal. Im not saying that because im a Disney Cast Member, im saying that because it's a fact and the numbers are there.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy Universal, especially during Halloween Horror Nights season and I love The Mummy coaster. Some of my favorite ride *were* there (R.I.P. Jaws and Kong-frontation...and Back To The Future Ride.....and Ghostbusters Spooktacular Show....and Nickolodeon Studios....Futuristic World of Hannah-Barbara...Star Toons...StreetBusters....Dynamite Nights Stunt Show...The Wild Wild Wild West Stunt Show....)

The only original ride left at that theme park is the E.T. ride, which is a dying horse. All those attractions I listed I grew up with, are gone. They demolished Jaws, one of the greatest theme park rides of all time, to make way for a fucking expanded Harry Potter land. Might as well call it "Universal's Harry Potter Studios" at this point

Disney is more about rides. It's about the magical memories made with family, friends, spouses, etc. That's why great classic attractions like Space Mountain are still around, but they keep in check to make it a thrilling experience for everyone. Disney has the capability to immerse guests at an attraction before they get on the ride because of their storytelling and theming.

Besides, Univsersal does not have this handsome devil as one of their employees  :xbones

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 10:57:15 PM »
That's just like Universal demolishing the Gibson Amphitheater (awesome venue I never got to go see a show at) for a Harry Potter thingy. . . ugh
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 11:21:34 PM »
gmillerdrake, other than going to a baseball game, there is no other classic father/son time than fishing. Your boys looked like they had a ton of fun!  :tup

They did have some fun that week for sure....and You're right about the two father/son times....

Me and the kiddos trying to get a rally started at a Cards game two weeks ago against the Cubs. We got a couple runs out of them but still came up short...but it was by far the best game I've ever been to because (especially my oldest) they were WAY into the game...the chanting and all that.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 07:46:15 AM »
I'll be in WDW starting tomorrow for 10 days ....I will be my 12th or 13th trip there (all as an adult) ...can't wait for this day to end at work so I can get into vacation mode
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 09:24:54 AM »
Thanks for the nice words everyone.

Gary ... Awesome vacation. Nothing like family time like that. Memories that last forever.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Vacation Thread v. Sharing is caring
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »
gmill, great shots!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 10:08:13 AM »
jingle.boy,

Mrs. Podaar and I are dragging our crew down to Disneyworld March 2014. Our youngest is 19 and our eldest is 33...they all still love it and are very excited (we've gone about every 4-5 years through their entire lives). We also have five grandchildren ranging from 3 to 13 years old so there will be no shortage of childhood wonder. Disney is as close as true magic you can get to for family vacations and it makes me smile just to share your photos.

Epcot is our favorite place as adults because we play the 'around the world drinking game' at the World Showcase. I'll bet you can imagine how that one goes.

Thanks for sharing! It makes me more excited for next year.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 10:45:58 AM »
We love going to Disney. We're actually members of the Disney Vacation Club, which has been a tremendous value over the years.

Here's a few shots from our Feb/April trips:

In February we made the trip out to Tampa to catch the Bruins!

We got off Test Track and I had my DT shirt on. This kid that worked there showed me his tattoo and insisted my wife take our picture together on his phone.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »
I really dig the UFO shirt!! Pre-Wild, Willing and the Innocent UFO is my favorite classic rock and always will be.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »
I really dig the UFO shirt!! Pre-Wild, Willing and the Innocent UFO is my favorite classic rock and always will be.

Amen! From your post above, it seems you're older than me, but I've been a huge UFO fan for as long as I can remember. MSG too. :tup

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 12:42:55 PM »
I'm heading down to Orlando in another couple of months. Can't wait to go to Islands of Adventure again!

Think I'm going to skip going to any of the Disney parks this time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »
That's cool. We went to Universal years ago when my stepson was younger. My kids haven't expressed an interest. I'm sure we'll get there. Been a while since we went to Sea World too.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 05:42:19 AM »
Joe... moar pics!
Tick... we expect pics
Jackie ... we expect pics
Tim ... you better post pics!

C'mon folks.  It's summertime.  Where the vacation pics/stories?