Author Topic: Morsi has been ousted!  (Read 763 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Morsi has been ousted!
« on: July 03, 2013, 02:02:07 PM »
Holy shit. I can't help but think this is a good thing, but the notion that it is being done by the military leaves me slightly uneasy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/world/middleeast/egypt.html?hp&_r=0

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Morsi has been ousted!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »
Didn't see that coming. As I recall the Egyptian military was pretty highly regarded back at the time of the first revolution. Not sure if they still have that standing afterward, though. Seems like they might have lost some of that when they didn't prevent things from turning butt ugly back then. Also, the fact that they wouldn't intervene in a popular uprising back then, but chose to carry out a coup now also seems a little suspect.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jsem

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »
Hopefully this is a move in the secular direction move for Egypt.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • The Nerdy Millennial
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:21:05 PM »
Didn't see that coming. As I recall the Egyptian military was pretty highly regarded back at the time of the first revolution. Not sure if they still have that standing afterward, though. Seems like they might have lost some of that when they didn't prevent things from turning butt ugly back then. Also, the fact that they wouldn't intervene in a popular uprising back then, but chose to carry out a coup now also seems a little suspect.

This punchline was telegraphed a couple days ago. They announced formally that Morsi had 48 hours to abdicate or something like that.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 04:36:49 PM »
Ah Christ, man, this is Egypt. They say that every week. Twice on Tuesdays.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Ceraunophiliac
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 06:34:36 PM »
I knew about the protests from the BBC and had an idea what was going on.  Didn't expect this to happen so suddenly.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »
I think we are seeing just the beginning of this shit storm. It's pretty violent over there today.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 12:44:42 PM »
80 sexual assaults in one day the other story of Tahrir Square
Egypt's women increasingly at risk of rape and sexual assault as rights groups warn of a step up in attacks
https://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/05/egypt-women-rape-sexual-assault-tahrir-square

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 01:08:11 PM »
80 sexual assaults in one day the other story of Tahrir Square
Egypt's women increasingly at risk of rape and sexual assault as rights groups warn of a step up in attacks
https://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/05/egypt-women-rape-sexual-assault-tahrir-square

:sadpanda: