Author Topic: The Extreme Metal Thread  (Read 34528 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Extreme Metal Thread
« Reply #245 on: March 06, 2017, 11:15:53 AM »
This has been a long time coming but cool that they include the Wacken show.

DIMMU BORGIR - Forces Of The Northern Night trailer
DIMMU BORGIR - Mourning Palace (Forces Of The Northern Night)

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #246 on: April 28, 2017, 07:41:00 AM »
This has been a long time coming but cool that they include the Wacken show.

DIMMU BORGIR - Forces Of The Northern Night trailer
DIMMU BORGIR - Mourning Palace (Forces Of The Northern Night)

My copy showed up yesterday - I've been wanting this for a long, long time after seeing the footage from the Oslo show online 4-5 years ago. I'm glad that they play a lot of the Abrahadabra songs, and the band sounds awesome with the orchestra and choir behind them.  The Oslo show is a more of a formal presentation, and the Wacken show is more of the metal, "are you guys having any fun?" type of show, so it's a nice little difference in vibe between the two. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #247 on: January 25, 2018, 09:07:57 AM »
Over seven years, deathlike silence has filled the halls of the world’s biggest black metal forge, DIMMU BORGIR, whilst powers have been gathering to resurrect the band right in time for their 25th anniversary. Now they finally mark their return with a vicious work of art that can be defined as timeless in the truest sense of the word: »Eonian«.

The songwriting core of DIMMU BORGIR furthermore consists of charismatic vocalist Shagrath, as well as the string wizards Silenoz and Galder, but other familiar faces also emerge from the darkness: Drummer Daray and keyboarder Gerlioz are still part of the team, and Gaute Storaas helped with the choral arrangements for the majestic voices of the Schola Cantrum Choir.
The cover artwork was designed in fascinating detail by Zbigniew M. Bielak (GHOST, BEHEMOTH, MAYHEM).

This tenth full-length record will see the light of spring on May the 4th, and it will contain 10 new tracks, produced by the band itself and engineered by Jens Bogren. Emerging from the dark minds of the three songwriters, »Eonian« follows a philosophical concept, dealing with the illusion of time:

“Time, when not approaching it from the construct we're used to can't be defined and thus it is illusory”, explains axemaster Silenoz. “There's only an 'eternal now', which the album title is already hinting at. When we travel between the worlds seen and unseen, the perception of time ceases to exist, it has no function. Our energy is our torch and our compass when we make rifts and pierce through the veil - when we go beyond.”

Vocalist Shagrath adds: “»Eonian« represents the illusion of time, everything that is and always has been. For us, it also marks the 25th anniversary of DIMMU BORGIR and the album itself is a tribute to our own history and the Norwegian black metal history.”

On February 23rd, DIMMU BORGIR will unveil their first single 'Interdimensional Summit', that will be released as a 7'' vinyl EP, providing a first taste of the upcoming album.

You can pre-order the EP here. The pre-order for the full-length album starts on the single's release day, February 23rd:
https://nblast.de/DimmuBorgirSummit

The following re-released LPs are already available in our shop:
»Death Cult Armageddon« (2 LP black vinyl)
»Death Cult Armageddon« (2 LP silver - mailorder exclusive!)
»For All Tid« (2 LP black vinyl)
»For All Tid« (2 LP orange vinyl)
»Enthrone Darkness Triumphant« (black vinyl)

While these LPs will see the light of day a little later, on February 23rd:
»Spiritual Black Dimensions« (black vinyl)
»Spiritual Black Dimensions« (mint vinyl - mailorder exclusive!)
»Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia« (2 LP black vinyl)
»Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia« (2 LP blue vinyl - mailorder exclusive!)
»Stormblåst« (LP + 7'' EP, black vinyl)
»Stormblåst« (LP + 7'' EP, clear vinyl - mailorder exclusive!)

You can get them here:
https://nblast.de/DimmuBorgirReRelease

So far, DIMMU BORGIR announced the following festival shows for 2018:
22. - 24.06. F Clisson - Hellfest
05. - 07.07. E Barcelona - Rock Fest
02. - 04.08. D Wacken - Wacken Open Air
16. - 18.08. N Horten - Midgardsblot Metalfestival

Can't wait!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Grappler

« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2018, 07:24:02 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7vg7ir8jyc

New Dimmu video!  I love it - I don't think they've ever had a song where the orchestration carries the entire hook.  Purists will hate it though.  At least they went for broke for the video.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #249 on: February 23, 2018, 12:24:50 PM »
I actually like it, not very BM at all, but a great song even though it sounds a lot like Nightwish.... :yarr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #250 on: February 23, 2018, 12:51:46 PM »
That song didn't do much for me sadly, I kind of wanted a more raw and in your face sound, especially as a first song. This sounded a bit bland to me. It's nice to have them back and hopefully the album brings a bit more to it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2018, 02:09:38 PM »

• DTF.org Member

Offline Grappler

« Reply #253 on: March 30, 2018, 06:51:23 AM »
Another new Dimmu Video:  Council of Wolves and Snakes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ws18_MZ-lw

"Council Of Wolves And Snakes", the new video from Norwegian symphonic black metallers DIMMU BORGIR, can be seen below. The song is taken from the band's new album, "Eonian", which will be released on May 4 via Nuclear Blast.

The songwriting core of DIMMU BORGIR furthermore consists of charismatic vocalist Shagrath, as well as the string wizards Silenoz and Galder, but other familiar faces also emerge from the darkness: drummer Daray and keyboardist Gerlioz are still part of the team, and Gaute Storaas helped with the choral arrangements for the majestic voices of the Schola Cantrum Choir.

Shagrath states: "It's a song that sticks out from the rest of the album, it's DIMMU BORGIR going into an experimental direction, but you can also find a lot of black metal inspiration in the middle section of the song. We are a band that has never been afraid of trying out new directions and artistically, this is surely a very interesting and different track."

A mix of their black metal sound and some wacky experimentation.  You can't blame these guys for never trying something new, though I do hope the record does have more of the black metal moments than these songs. 

Online gazinwales

« Reply #254 on: March 30, 2018, 02:19:08 PM »
The songwriting is really good, it's almost proggy, great song, but yes I want some BM to digest on the album.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #255 on: May 04, 2018, 10:59:11 AM »
Why wasn't a track like Archaic Correspondence released as a single???

Damn, that's an awesome song!  :metal

The second half of Eonian is definitely the highlight for me.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:05:30 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Online gazinwales

« Reply #256 on: May 06, 2018, 01:03:30 AM »
Despite the lack of guitars and BM songs, the album is very strong.
In terms of production and song writing this is easily Dimmu's best work to date.
Still waiting for an official release in Australia, as usual with NB releases we seem to get them a week or two later.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #257 on: May 06, 2018, 09:49:00 AM »
Despite the lack of guitars and BM songs, the album is very strong.
In terms of production and song writing this is easily Dimmu's best work to date.
Still waiting for an official release in Australia, as usual with NB releases we seem to get them a week or two later.
They're definitely more "mellow" in terms of BM and how they used to be. I actually get a Therion vibe from some of their songs.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #258 on: May 06, 2018, 01:07:08 PM »
Therion, exactly I get the same vide too, along with Nightwish and even some Septicflesh.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #259 on: May 06, 2018, 02:54:18 PM »
Seems to be some complaints about too much choir in many of the songs, can't say I agree. For the most part I feel they're creating a nice atmosphere. I do think however that since they use choir instead of ICS Vortex vocals nowdays, the sound is a bit less sinister because of the choir funnily enough.

It interesting though that when you compare Eonian to Death Cult Armageddon for example the latter sounds like the most sinister album in existence compared to Eonian and yet Dimmu got flack by BM purist for selling out with that album.  :laugh:

I still think that despite Dimmu not being very BM anymore, the production and the songs are still epic and atmospheric.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #260 on: August 22, 2018, 11:50:50 AM »
So, a new Bloodbath album is coming out in a few months.   :metal

Also, the first video for Eric Peterson's Dragonlord - the first new album for them in 13 years?  I love the first album, but never ended up picking up the second.  Such great, thrashy black metal that isn't just full speed ahead at a bazillion miles an hour.  This disc has a female vocalist as well, which I believe is new for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCuubyi8SpY

Online gazinwales

« Reply #261 on: August 30, 2018, 04:38:00 AM »
New video from the swamps of Finland...
https://youtu.be/Qrw0UUqr4vk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #262 on: October 03, 2018, 02:32:25 PM »
^^Love Kalmah, haven't heard them in a while though so that was cool.

I just saw this cool episode by Banger TV about the Icelandic Black Metal scene:

https://youtu.be/w3SxL-kHok4

Some really stuff that i've never heard of. The only band I knew of was Solstafir but i've never heard that they started as a BM band.

Listening to Zhrine - Unortheta right now, killer and very ambient stuff.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #263 on: October 10, 2019, 03:43:30 PM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #264 on: October 10, 2019, 03:49:50 PM »

Offline Grappler

« Reply #265 on: November 06, 2019, 11:25:04 AM »
I remember buying Nile's In Their Darkened Shrines back in 2002 or 2003 and hating it.  I usually like my death metal to be catchy (I can't stand brutal death metal at all with the "gor-gor'gorgorgor" vocals), and the album was too much of a blasting assault on my ears.  I haven't cared for them since...

...until now.  I got sick of listening to power metal for a month straight, put on some black metal for Halloween and then decided to give a few Nile albums a shot since I saw that they have a new one out.  They're definitely sounding much more fresh to these ears, which have become more accustomed to death and extreme metal over the last 16 years.  I've listened to just about every album in their catalog and really have a new appreciation for them.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #266 on: November 07, 2019, 12:34:46 PM »
Yea I've been listening to a fair bit of Nile recently as well. I've got the new album queued up to listen to, sometime this week. Annihilation of the Wicked is hitting the spot  :metal

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #267 on: November 18, 2019, 10:55:40 PM »
love this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzsE79TucQo

This is quite an old post, but I absolutely love Inferi. Their re-recording of one of their older albums they released this year is absolutely outstanding.

Offline Vordus

« Reply #268 on: December 18, 2019, 04:56:22 PM »
Melodic black /death metal solo project

Haiduk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2SaE-YdLA4

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #269 on: May 05, 2020, 04:01:22 PM »
Stumbled upon this Dimmu cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_3fCjVCdVw

It's a pretty good cover actually but I just laughed so hard on the diversity of the people involved. The drummer and guitarist takes it serious, the bassist of course took it a bit too serious with corpsepaint and a kiss wig and the singer seems to be in somekind of a happy place.  :lol

Online gazinwales

« Reply #270 on: May 07, 2020, 02:29:47 AM »
Ripping new song from Ensiferum
https://youtu.be/wRhD39LI800

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #271 on: May 08, 2020, 12:37:00 PM »
Stumbled upon this Dimmu cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_3fCjVCdVw

It's a pretty good cover actually but I just laughed so hard on the diversity of the people involved. The drummer and guitarist takes it serious, the bassist of course took it a bit too serious with corpsepaint and a kiss wig and the singer seems to be in somekind of a happy place.  :lol

Good cover, good drums and vocals but I agree, it's hilarious!  :rollin

I've never paid attention to the guitars in this song, they are simple but I liked it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #272 on: August 31, 2021, 07:32:08 AM »
Not that deathcore is anything new but this sounds like a new breed in a way:

LORNA SHORE - To the Hellfire (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

It's SO over the top in everyway but the thing is I kinda dig it but also kinda laugh at it. The drummer is playing stuff only possible with triggers one hundred percent but that's so common these days that no one seems to bat an eye. I know he still has to play it in a way but it still not the same imo.

The singer incorparates every type of growl and even throws in some pig squeeling.

I actually feel kinda old listening to this because I feel it's a genre for the younger/newer generation of metal fans honestly and to be clear I mean nothing bad about that, only that i'm old and probably don't understand it it.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #273 on: August 31, 2021, 07:41:18 AM »
WTF was that?
I have no words, it hurt my ears I had to turn off after less than a minute.
Yes I am too old  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #274 on: August 31, 2021, 08:17:38 AM »
WTF was that?
I have no words, it hurt my ears I had to turn off after less than a minute.
Yes I am too old  :metal
:lol

Yea it's quite the challenge to listen to.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: September 01, 2021, 06:17:41 AM »
Fuck, I thought that was quite impressive, so intense.  Not something I'd probably listen to but damn respect to these boys for pushing the boundaries and producing something unique.  The black metal vibes kept me interested as I'm not normally a fan of the deathcore kind of thing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #276 on: September 01, 2021, 10:07:09 AM »
Fuck, I thought that was quite impressive, so intense.  Not something I'd probably listen to but damn respect to these boys for pushing the boundaries and producing something unique.  The black metal vibes kept me interested as I'm not normally a fan of the deathcore kind of thing.
Yea it's impressive, as a drummer I mostly look at his performance and truth be told he has the speed and technique to pull it off which is impressive. He uses heeltoe which is pretty common in extreme metal drumming but as far as i'm aware it's heavily relied on using triggers to get power and balance with each stroke hitting the bassdrum. It would sound like crap without it.

Now with that being said since it's so common too use triggers it's also become the norm for the quest to play faster and faster music and that's the part that kinda get's hilarious to me.

Offline Vordus

« Reply #277 on: September 18, 2021, 07:23:51 PM »
Track from the new Haiduk album 'Diabolica' (melodic black / death-thrash)

Haiduk - Swarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE9rWWZi7l0

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #278 on: April 30, 2023, 04:33:50 AM »
The Arcane Order - "The First Deceiver"

Not a new band but i've never listen to them. Bastian Thusgaard from Soilwork plays drums.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #279 on: July 13, 2023, 02:30:20 AM »
Seen a bunch of live clips with Lorne Shore and I have to say they really pull off their music live which is really impressive. The vocalist and drummer really delivers their stuff live.

Really not my cup of tea but it's interesting to follow the new bands and new breeds of music out there. They seems to have really taken the genre to a new level.