Author Topic: Death Metal  (Read 71959 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Death Metal
« Reply #700 on: September 13, 2023, 02:02:09 PM »
I only have a few new ones from 2023:

Frozen Soul - Glacial Domination
Crypta - Shades of Sorrow
Obituary - Dying of Everything

If we add MDM albums, then there's insomnium and Dieth too.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #701 on: September 13, 2023, 02:05:22 PM »
I only have a few new ones from 2023:

Frozen Soul - Glacial Domination
Crypta - Shades of Sorrow
Obituary - Dying of Everything

If we add MDM albums, then there's insomnium and Dieth too.

Not listened to Crypta but I have checked out Frozen Soul and it didn’t really do it for me. I tried to put in more of a pure death metal list, but yea a load more could go in if I added Melodeath releases.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #702 on: September 13, 2023, 02:35:11 PM »
but what am I missing?

There are definitely more, but I have a backlog to get through, I'll definitely post others this fall. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #703 on: September 13, 2023, 04:14:51 PM »
Been a good year for death metal so far, right? This is the list of my fave death metal releases so far this year. I have checked out some more, which I’ve not ranked yet (such as the new Dying Fetus), but what am I missing?

1. Cattle Decapitation - Terrasite
2. Horrendous - Ontological Mysterium
3. Sarmat - Determined to Strike
4. Fleshvessel - Yearning: Promethean Fates Sealed
5. Ulthar - Anthronomicon/Helionomicon
6. Nothingness - Supraliminal
7. Contrarian - Sage of Shekhinah
8. Entheos - Time Will Take Us All
9. Tentacult - Lacerating Pattern
10. Astriferous - Pulsations from the Black Orb
11. Carnosus - Visions of Infinihility
12. Obituary - Dying of Everything

Also, I think the new Tomb Mold is out Friday, and new Suffocation soon.

New Tomb Mold crushes! I was lucky to hear this and new Cannibal Corpse early. New Suffocation and Deicide are going to slay!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #704 on: September 13, 2023, 04:19:27 PM »
I never pimped my closest friend Andy's band here, maybe because its personal to me and didn't want negative feedback, but its all good so let me know what you think. We grew up together and are still very close. He's working on new stuff as we speak. Old school thrashy DM band Prime Evil. Have a look at this video! I love it. Andy is the vocalist!  :metal

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_-koqEn32N0

BUMP! I was hoping for feedback my friends! They are now working on a new album.  :metal

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #705 on: September 15, 2023, 02:50:57 AM »
Blood Incantation have released a new EP today, Luminescent Bridge…

https://spotify.link/tFIfwxWQ6Cb

It’s a two song, 18 minute EP. One song is a death metal song, the other is a more ethereal, ambient piece. It’s pretty damn cool, love this band!

Offline billboy73

« Reply #706 on: September 15, 2023, 08:17:29 AM »
Really loving the new Tomb Mold.  It'll definitely be up near the top of my favorite albums this year.  Gotta check out that Blood Incantation EP next.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #707 on: September 15, 2023, 08:34:42 AM »
Really loving the new Tomb Mold.  It'll definitely be up near the top of my favorite albums this year.  Gotta check out that Blood Incantation EP next.

Yea just finished up new Tomb Mold, it was really good and more melodic than I was expecting.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #708 on: September 15, 2023, 05:33:00 PM »

Yea just finished up new Tomb Mold, it was really good and more melodic than I was expecting.

The Tomb Mold was a great listen! Heavy and proggy...

As I mentioned in the Listening thread, I'd recommend Fabricant - "Drudge to the Thicket". Some weird-ass technical death metal album (same guys as the band Mefitis, if you know them) that came out today and intrigued me...

Offline billboy73

« Reply #709 on: September 19, 2023, 08:05:42 AM »
Man, I really enjoyed that Fabricant album.  Lots of weird, dissonant, angular riffing that really drew me in.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #710 on: September 19, 2023, 10:38:50 AM »
Man, I really enjoyed that Fabricant album.  Lots of weird, dissonant, angular riffing that really drew me in.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

:tup

You should check out Mefitis as well (I only know their latest album, Offscourings). Same drummer (who's the main songwriter, I believe). Not as heavy as this, but you can kinda hear a similar blueprint. As I mentioned elsewhere, there's more of a Voivod influence in that one.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #711 on: September 25, 2023, 09:22:13 AM »
I've never been into Cannibal Corpse.  Musicially, I love that stuff, but the GOR-GOR-GOR brutal death metal vocal style bothers me.  I generally prefer vocalists who enunciate their growls. 

Over the last year though, I've gotten into Deicide, Obituary and Morbid Angel.  I love Corpsegrinder's solo album that he put out last year. so I gave the new Cannibal Corpse album a spin and really enjoyed it.  I'm now going backwards and listening to more of their albums.  I prefer Corsegrinder's records to the first 3-4 with Chris Barnes. 

Does anyone have any favorites among the Cannibal albums? 

Aside from Haunted (I've had this one for 25 years), does Six Feet Under have any decent records?

Offline billboy73

« Reply #712 on: September 25, 2023, 10:06:17 AM »
Bloodthirst is a definite highlight of the early Corpsegrinder era.  That album is very catchy and one of my favorites.  Torture is probably my favorite of the more recent stuff.  Other ones I'd recommend are The Wretched Spawn, Kill, A Skeletal Domain, and the last one Violence Unimagined.  I thought the addition of Erik Rutan breathed new life into the band, and Violence Unimagined was a solid effort.  Haven't listened to the new one yet, hopefully I will get to it today.  They really are a pretty consistent band though.  Evisceration Plague is probably my least favorite of the Corpsegrinder era, and it is still very good.

For SFU, I thought Maximum Violence was okay, but I'm not really much into them.  The newer stuff is terrible.  Barnes sounds terrible now.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #713 on: September 25, 2023, 12:26:51 PM »
Bloodthirst is a definite highlight of the early Corpsegrinder era.  That album is very catchy and one of my favorites.  Torture is probably my favorite of the more recent stuff.  Other ones I'd recommend are The Wretched Spawn, Kill, A Skeletal Domain, and the last one Violence Unimagined.  I thought the addition of Erik Rutan breathed new life into the band, and Violence Unimagined was a solid effort.  Haven't listened to the new one yet, hopefully I will get to it today.  They really are a pretty consistent band though.  Evisceration Plague is probably my least favorite of the Corpsegrinder era, and it is still very good.

For SFU, I thought Maximum Violence was okay, but I'm not really much into them.  The newer stuff is terrible.  Barnes sounds terrible now.

Bloodthirst is my fave CC album but Violence Unimagined is close.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #714 on: December 28, 2023, 10:08:26 AM »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #715 on: March 18, 2024, 11:26:52 AM »
New single from Nocturnus AD - CephaloGod

https://open.spotify.com/track/6xJXzijsOhxobgSa5t7L1B?si=p3YISYTVQ5SZKMupFXxvvQ&context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A56GcWE6Pa2j780frOtnxs9

It's got that classic synthy death metal sound that Nocturnus do so well. They have a new album, Unicursal, out on May the 17th as well :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #716 on: March 18, 2024, 04:10:42 PM »
New Deicide is insane! The singles are ripping!