Author Topic: The Zimmerman trial  (Read 37775 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
Re: The Zimmerman trial
« Reply #525 on: May 18, 2016, 01:03:26 PM »
I especially love how everything that has happened to him is everybody else's fault.  He has as much fault in this as anyone else.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Zimmerman trial
« Reply #526 on: May 18, 2016, 03:56:06 PM »
I'm certain GMD is perusing new posts here, and probably Bosk as well. Would either of you guys do what this woman did, knowing that the cops were en route anyway and that the house was empty of loved ones?

I'd have pretty much done what you said. I'd have called the police and headed home. If they weren't there when I arrived I'd have waited for them. This is a way different scenario that waking up to my alarm at night due to someone being in my home. That's a different ballgame. This...I mean, what....someone or a group of people make off with your TV and maybe some valuables, nothing worth bursting into the scene to potentially get killed. sure it sucks but I don't see where my life would be threatened by a burglary when I'm not at home? Unless my family was home and inside when the alarm was going off I don't see the point in injecting myself into a non life threatening situation, I don't feel like getting killed and I'm not blood thirsty.

I don't understand why she'd go in to her house in this situation, maybe she was just fed up and had some sort of vigilante mindset going on? There weren't a ton of facts about the case in that article so it's tough to arbitrarily negate her justification...but personally, I'd have waited for the police and let them address the issue.
I'd take the bolded a step further and say it's not worth potentially killing somebody else over. I'm not saying that based on the ethical aspect, although in my personal world that's a component, but simply on a practical level. A week later I'd much rather be dealing with State Farm than a Dallas County grand jury.

absolutely agree. using deadly force is a "do i think my life or my families lives are in danger?"  This scenario neither are true.

However, if I'm woken at night to someone in my house that's a different ballgame. Even if in their mind they are only there to take my TV there's no way for me to know that.....and if they are still around and decided it's still a good idea to head anywhere near my family after I yell down the steps that I've called the police and am armed....then that is on them, not me if they get a couple rounds in the chest.

I'd agree with every bit of the above... and as a carrier, I would like to think I would let the police handle something like that.  I do not want blood on my hands, and as long as my life and the lives of my loved ones are not at risk, everything else can be replaced.

The "waking up in the middle of the night to someone in your house" scenario haunts me a little bit; after telling the intruder I'm armed, if they stick around... that's a tough scenario.

I'll have to see if I can find the article... in 2008 in a neighboring town to my hometown, a paralegal and her husband were attached in bed by their daughter's estranged boyfriend; the attack took the life of the husband (with a knife, in the most vicious way possible in my opinion) and attempted to take the life of his wife (paralegal that I know through a work relationship), his daughter, and the daughter's new boyfriend (life threatening injuries all).  I've always wondered if either the husband or wife had access to a firearm and if there was any hesitation by the either of them when they realized someone was in the bedroom... that still bothers me.  And I cannot honestly say that the experiences of this family would not rattle around in my mind if I awoke to someone in my house.  I hope I never find out.

In my opinion, Zimmerman is the classic example, in every way, of how not to act when carrying a firearm.  The rounds in the chamber of that weapon carry the weight of someone else's life... it shouldn't be taken lightly.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar