Author Topic: 2014-02-15 - Civic Hall - Wolverhampton, UK  (Read 8974 times)

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
Re: 2014-02-15 - Civic Hall - Wolverhampton, UK
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 08:40:11 PM »
A sublime moment tonight occured when the security (who were jumping onto anyone with a camera all night) tried to stop a guy posing in front the stage. Then JP bent down and pretty much posed with him! Lucky guy!!

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2014, 02:58:06 AM »
Haha I saw that, I did notice the security guys seemed to be a bit over the top when it came to telling people to put cameras away, if people were using flash then fair enough but I didn't see any signage saying no photography and the band didn't seem to have an issue with people taking photos.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2014, 03:37:11 AM »
my 10th DT show last night stretching back to JB's at Dudley on the I & W tour - by far the best concert in every aspect! James - wow, what a performance. He was on fire. You can see the confidence in him. No disrespect to Portnoy who I love but him leaving was the best thing to happen in lots of ways. The whole band is in such a good place now. They said they might be coming back to the UK at the end of the tour so roll on show number 11!  :hefdaddy

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2014, 03:41:04 AM »
They said they might be coming back to the UK at the end of the tour

Awesome! Fingers crossed.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 03:46:56 AM »
........on their way back from Australia :drool:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline genome

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2014, 03:49:48 AM »
Sorry Wembleyites... that was better than Friday night for me. The band was pretty much as tight, but I had better seats and the mix was better. :-P

I saw that JP moment, I was right behind it. Those guys were mad, haha. Got some cool pics too.

What happened at the end btw? Right on the last cymbal hit Mangini started cracking up, did he break his sticks?

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2014, 04:00:56 AM »
Lol at James' English accent attempt and the crowd booing really loud when he said it was their last UK show! He thanked the crowd for their support and how much it has grown in the UK since the early days - something to which I can attest!

Offline Jinx

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2014, 05:12:49 AM »
What happened at the end btw? Right on the last cymbal hit Mangini started cracking up, did he break his sticks?

I'm not too sure I saw him sat there with his arms crossed smiling and shrugging. Then he carried on til the end. But when they were bowing to the crowd he kept motioning that his wrist was hurting? Hope its not a bad injury. He laughed it off though by pointing to the VIP section and motioning that it was because he had signed too many things.

But I agree, Wolves was much better. Better atmosphere, better sound.

A couple more things:

1) Near the start James asked if anyone was attending from the previous night at Wembley and a load of us cheered. He then said that just for us they will play exactly the same set!  :biggrin: Then he said if anyone from Wolves would be going to another show on this leg, they would do the same for them too!

2) We had got to a service station not far from Swindon and as we walked to Costa a guy stared at my shirt (was wearing the Looking Glass television one) and he just randomly asked whether I had been to the show in Wolverhampton and what they had played. So I was talking to him for about 5 mins. Then he asked whether it was An Evening With and when I said yeah he just nodded in approval  :metal

Offline robwebster

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2014, 05:35:49 AM »
Neat gig.

Haha I saw that, I did notice the security guys seemed to be a bit over the top when it came to telling people to put cameras away, if people were using flash then fair enough but I didn't see any signage saying no photography and the band didn't seem to have an issue with people taking photos.
The security guys were dicks. Well, one of them. I am 90% sure he shoved the girl next to me off her chair. In fairness, I'm confident people standing on chairs are absolutely a health and safety nightmare, but a shove turns a risk into an incident. Irresponsible, counterproductive, confrontation for confrontation's sake.

Of course, there's always the possibility that I mis-saw and he gently explained the pros and cons of standing on the ground. In which case, what a splendid chap, I won't hear a bad word said against them.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:42:02 AM by robwebster »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2014, 05:37:10 AM »
QUICK GUYS, TIE HIM UP BEFORE HE GETS AWAY AGAIN!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline krands85

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2014, 05:41:58 AM »
I'm not too sure I saw him sat there with his arms crossed smiling and shrugging. Then he carried on til the end. But when they were bowing to the crowd he kept motioning that his wrist was hurting? Hope its not a bad injury. He laughed it off though by pointing to the VIP section and motioning that it was because he had signed too many things.
I saw him doing that at the end of the Manchester show when he was greeting people at the front of the stage. I thought it was just his way of explaining why he was fist bumping the fans instead of shaking their hands - wouldn't want to injure himself from an overzealous hand-shake! I probably misinterpreted it entirely  :lol
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2014, 05:43:24 AM »
Here are all the photos I took of the concert last night, I had pretty much perfect seats, Row A, Seat 21 which was right on the aisle center stage.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152097369854230.1073741831.508959229&type=1&l=2009e6fd58

As others have said it was a fantastic concert, the various videos on the screen worked perfectly from the animations to the live action material, lighting was great and the band were perfect. You could see them all looking to each other, smiling and so on, can't wait to see them again :D

Offline robwebster

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2014, 05:47:31 AM »
QUICK GUYS, TIE HIM UP BEFORE HE GETS AWAY AGAIN!
Or, "hello," as people say!

Ahoyhoy.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2014, 05:52:19 AM »
Great comments, guys. It's especially amazing to see people who have been attending DT concerts for so many years being impressed by what the guys currently do.  :tup

Offline genome

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2014, 05:54:26 AM »
I saw him doing that at the end of the Manchester show when he was greeting people at the front of the stage. I thought it was just his way of explaining why he was fist bumping the fans instead of shaking their hands - wouldn't want to injure himself from an overzealous hand-shake! I probably misinterpreted it entirely  :lol

Touring bands tend to fist bump rather than shake hands so they don't pick up germs and get ill.

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2014, 07:30:31 AM »

Steve Howe of Yes never shook anybodies hand either...and for good reason.  A nod and a smile instead.  ;D

Offline Lazlow Panaflex

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2014, 07:43:26 AM »
Was it all seated in the Civic Hall?

I was at Wembley on Friday night (which was amazing) and that was all seated but all of us at the very front stood for the whole thing anyway!

Thinking of catching both Wembley AND Wolverhampton next time around, but my father just can't stand up for an entire show anymore, too many years of rockin it hard  :metal   Bless him!!

We were at DT in the Civic Hall 3 or 4 years ago, and it was all standing on the the ground floor. Has it been changed to seated now?

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2014, 07:52:23 AM »
Hey guys and gals, first time poster here, just wanted to say, saw Dream Theater for the third time at Wolverhampton last night and it was AMAZING. I went with my dad and uncle who have seen DT for years and years and they said it was the best gig they've been to of theirs for a long long time, possibly ever. I had an absolute blast, second row, it was so surreal seeing these music gods so close. I was fairly sure that Petrucci or Myung were going to lose a finger or two during Dance of Eternity!

The highlights for me included the solo at the end of Breaking all Illusions, the whole encore of Scenes, and seeing Illumination Theory live. Like many here I have to praise Labrie's singing but not only that, as a front man for the band he was fantastic. Great interaction not only between them and the fans but between each other too. I loved seeing Mangini and Petrucci trying to make each other laugh pulling silly faces! Plus seeing Jordan Rudess play up close is a sight to behold, what a talent he is (like the rest of them!)

Loved loved love the gig. I will be binge listening to DT for a little while longer I feel! Bring on the next one!

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2014, 08:09:36 AM »
Was it all seated in the Civic Hall?

I was at Wembley on Friday night (which was amazing) and that was all seated but all of us at the very front stood for the whole thing anyway!

Thinking of catching both Wembley AND Wolverhampton next time around, but my father just can't stand up for an entire show anymore, too many years of rockin it hard  :metal   Bless him!!

We were at DT in the Civic Hall 3 or 4 years ago, and it was all standing on the the ground floor. Has it been changed to seated now?

It was all seated but everyone stood, it was a great atmosphere down the front, most were clapping, singing along and air-guitaring/drumming/etc.

Offline Lazlow Panaflex

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 08:13:14 AM »

It was all seated but everyone stood, it was a great atmosphere down the front, most were clapping, singing along and air-guitaring/drumming/etc.

Right that settles it.  I'm going to Wembley and then Wolves next time around. 

Me father will be grand as long as he can sit down for a minute whenever he needs to!   I hope they return after the US tour.

Offline genome

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2014, 09:03:05 AM »
For some reason the left half of the hall remained seated for half of TEI. I thought it looked funny!

I was in the right half and there was a old guy who let out the longest "YEAHHH!!" I've ever heard! I can't have been the only one who heard it...

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2014, 10:23:47 AM »
I was in the right too, you must have been fairly close to me.

Offline Shade

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
Thought this show was just awesome. Think they've really hit the nail on the head with this setlist etc. Everything about the show was so cool, the performance was sublime but the added extras made my day such as the cinematography that went with False Awakening Suite (I was just sitting there thinking this is so cool when that played), the interval youtube mix, the other bits of cinematography that come on between songs.

I really believe that by having one set list and sticking to it, they've made a much more complete show, and because they're at the stage now where they've played the show 20 odd times, they know it so well that they really nail it every time they get back on stage. At least that's the impression I get.

Flew home from doing a ski season in France just to see this, worth every penny!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2014, 07:59:42 AM »
After a nightmare journey home from Wembley, the last thing I wanted to do on Saturday was drive to Wolverhampton. This was the closest I’ve ever come to not going to a gig. I mean, there wasn’t much point, and they were so good the previous night there was no way they could top that, right?

Wrong. I’ve said it before – DT are a thousand times better in a smaller venue. The audience were more hardcore, singing along, punching the air and everything an arena crowd just can’t be. The band seemed to feed off the crowd, and gave an even better performance. The VIP seats didn’t hurt, either…

Setlist the same as the previous night, but nearly every track was more intense, and if the band were on fire the previous night, this was an atomic explosion. Best track by a mile – Breaking all Illusions. JP seemed to reach for something more during his solo, and he sure as f*ck found it. That was the single best thing I’ve ever seen them play. He exchanged a look with JMX after and they both knew it too. To paraphrase the band – if I die tomorrow, I’ll be alright, because I’ve seen JP f*cking nail that solo.

In short - Transcendent. More than a gig, that was a life-enhancing experience. 

Downsides? None. Oh, didn’t think much of the humming-bird poster. Bit bland.

This was also my tenth DT show, and in all honesty by far the best. Not just better than Wembley, but blew it out of the water. Roll on the second leg…
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2014, 09:12:42 AM »
A sublime moment tonight occured when the security (who were jumping onto anyone with a camera all night) tried to stop a guy posing in front the stage. Then JP bent down and pretty much posed with him! Lucky guy!!

One of my pictures has that chap in it (see here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152332312441834.1073741831.555706833&type=1&l=7d5c8b4bdd).

Security were being a royal pain in the arse. It was easy to see from the front row of the balcony.

Oh, I am sure several of you will be in a couple of my other shots, incidentally. I do like to get a picture of the crowd ;D
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline genome

« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2014, 09:29:16 AM »

I am right at the bottom with my fist in the air, sixth row.  ;D

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2014, 09:34:34 AM »
Hehe! Well played ;D
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline mc7

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2014, 12:21:10 PM »
Well guys, this is my first post on the DTF so please be gentle. Thought I'd sign up here just to share my thoughts on what was my first ever DT gig (despite being a fan for 10 years+....I know, I know, what took me so long?!). Well, finally made it to one and what a show it was. Firstly, as a first time DT concert goer I was delighted that it was to be An Evening With format, as you get much more value for money, of course. I went with my Mum and Dad, who are also fans) and we had good seats in the right balcony (probably not too far from yourself, Genome! ;)
I truly agree with your thoughts, Genome, about the security, they were a royal pain in the ass! I imagine you were one of the ones that was sat in front of me that kept being bugged by the security woman, who was becoming a bit of a distraction to be honest. As everyone has said the band don't mind and the intermission and intro videos only go to prove how much the band approve of fan made videos, live performances or otherwise. I did manage to get a few photos near the end but they didn't turn out too good, save for a couple. That's what happens when you rush to take them in case Jobsworth comes a calling!  >:(
Thought the band were on top form and the sound was awesome. Especially liked the sound on Space Dye Vest. When the band all came in strong towards the end, that gave me chills.
Favourite songs were Breaking All Illusions (and THAT solo!), Illumination Theory and the Scenes From A Memory Encore (I was wearing the album T-Shirt too!).  :hefdaddy
Spoke to some fellow fans too during the night, which was really cool. Aren't we all a really friendly, appreciative bunch. Funnily, travelling back that night after the gig that night we stopped off at a services and whilst there enjoying a Costa Coffee other fans turned up as well, which was quite spooky! It seemed Costa was the place to be to meet other fans as before the show we were with good DT company too and it was nice to share nods of approvals and smiles with each other as we were all anticipating the show.
Would love to catch the next UK show, if I can make it, and maybe, as James hinted, the wait may not be that long!  :xbones

Offline genome

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2014, 12:46:24 PM »
I think you are mixing me up with nobloodyname as I was on the floor near JP  ;D

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »

Haha you can see me, I'm on the front row just where the main aisle is :D

Offline robwebster

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2014, 02:12:21 PM »

Going by the sleeves and everyone's locations, I'm guessing that's me Petrucci's looking at in this picture. I have literally no idea what I was doing. Probably waving. We must look like maniacs.

You caught my best side.

(Disclaimer: Might not be me, I had my phone in my hand most of the time, so there's that. Doin' photos.)

Offline mc7

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2014, 02:36:05 PM »
Ah, sorry Genome. I took a look at the photo and the poster name and didn't read the rest. Nod of approval to you NoBloodyName. I was right there with ya!
Kudos to you Genome for your viewpoint. That must have been awesome being right there with Petrucci.
Someone mentioned that someone was escorted out of the venue who was at the front of the hall.
Do you know anything about that?

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2014, 04:53:57 AM »

thats awesome me and my mate Gordon are up on the front row of the balcony in that pic I am whistling with my hand in the air \m/ :-) \m/ what a show I am still buzzing now!!
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2014, 01:13:02 PM »
Something I forgot to mention, just as the intro video was being played I could see behind the curtain and Jordan is actually playing the False Awakening Suite. I had assumed it was the audio was just being played from a track.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
Something I forgot to mention, just as the intro video was being played I could see behind the curtain and Jordan is actually playing the False Awakening Suite. I had assumed it was the audio was just being played from a track.

I'll have to listen back and see if there's any subtle differences with the performance then because I never noticed! Unless he only recently started doing this. I wonder if the guest musicians at the Boston show will play it behind the curtain.