Author Topic: Amorphis Top x - up next: Luoto's top 30  (Read 13345 times)

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Re: Amorphis Top x: MoraWintersoul's turn!
« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2018, 02:16:04 PM »
:bump:

Holy crap, it's been almost 5 years! I announced in the main thread I'm probably going to revive this thread with a list, and here we are. Amorphis have released an album and a quarter since the last post and more people here have become more aware of the band recently, so this should be fun.

I have drafted a list of 30 songs with almost all albums represented, and I'll start doing write-ups for them. I will provide Youtube links for listening convenience.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Amorphis Top x: MoraWintersoul's turn!
« Reply #176 on: April 23, 2018, 02:47:02 PM »
The amazing thing about Amorphis is that any kind of "Top X Best Songs" list could change drastically with a new album or two. Off the top of my head, Under the Red Cloud had at least five songs that could potentially make my personal "Top 30": Under the Red Cloud, Bad Blood, Death of a King, Tree of Ages, and Winter's Sleep.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Amorphis Top x - up next: Luoto's top 30
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2018, 12:29:58 AM »
Updated the title :) Do you want to wait until the new album is out or will you start already?
The amazing thing about Amorphis is that any kind of "Top X Best Songs" list could change drastically with a new album or two. Off the top of my head, Under the Red Cloud had at least five songs that could potentially make my personal "Top 30": Under the Red Cloud, Bad Blood, Death of a King, Tree of Ages, and Winter's Sleep.
Yeah, White Night, Dark Path, Bad Blood and Death of a King would all most likely be in my top 30 now, and some of the new songs have the potential to do the same.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2018, 02:07:35 AM »
Do you want to wait until the new album is out or will you start already?

Not going to wait til Queen of Time, I'll start as soon as I'm done with the first few songs.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:15:29 AM by Luoto »

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2018, 03:06:46 AM »
Following  :metal

And at the moment I would probably put more than half of Under The Red Cloud in my top 30, that record is just soooo good. Under The Red Cloud, The Four Wise Ones, Bad Blood, Tree Of Ages, Death Of A King, Dark Path for sure.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: April 24, 2018, 05:57:23 AM »
Do you want to wait until the new album is out or will you start already?

Not going to wait til Queen of Time, I'll start as soon as I'm done with the first few songs.

Cool mate, will follow.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #181 on: April 24, 2018, 12:45:56 PM »
And we're off.

30. The Way (Tuonela)
This song is a fitting way to kick off the list as it's iconic for one of their recognizable elements, the tape delay guitar. This is where Holopainen first figured out the texturous signature pattern that will be heard in different forms at various points of the list. The progressive approach left much of the responsibility of memorable hooks on Pasi Koskinen, who responds with one of his best choruses. Keyboards are also well in place here, especially during the solo section.

29. Born From Fire (Eclipse)
This track is just straight up heavy metal with a slightly gothic tinge brought by the keyboards. Instantly memorable main riff and solid vocals carry the song, and the arrangement is interesting enough to give edge.

28. Black River (Silent Waters)
This one is quite unique for Amorphis because it has a spoken word section in the beginning, backed up by acoustic guitar and piano. It later evolves into an atmospheric power ballad of sorts and features some of my favourite lead playing from Holopainen. It's a worthy closer for the album and somewhat underrated.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: April 24, 2018, 04:16:47 PM »
Born From Fire  :metal

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2018, 06:13:46 PM »
I haven't heard Black River in a while. I need to play it tomorrow. Born from Fire is amazing and quintessential Eclipse. Then of course you have The Way, which is a classic. Fun list so far!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #184 on: April 25, 2018, 01:18:58 AM »
Some solid choices there, but The Way should be much higher. Such a great tune.  :metal

That song was what got me into Amorphis, I got Tuonela from a friend and the first song was The Way and I was hooked.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: April 25, 2018, 01:15:55 PM »
I'm pretty indifferent towards Born from Fire - it almost sounds like a leftover from the FFTS era, because it reminds me a bit of Shining Turns to Gray. Black River is nice, but I never really listen to it unless I'm listening to Silent Waters in full. The Way is fantastic though, and I would (and did :D) rank it even higher.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #186 on: April 25, 2018, 01:41:58 PM »
Black River is nice, but I never really listen to it unless I'm listening to Silent Waters in full.

It's basically the same for me, but the quality is always apparent when I do hear it.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #187 on: April 29, 2018, 02:22:36 PM »
Let out the...

27. Bad Blood (Under the Red Cloud)
Another example of the power of the Amorphis riff, this time in a more melodic death metal fashion. In fact, this is probably the closest to the "Swedish" melodeath sound they've ever come to. My personal highlight here is the melodic post-chorus riff aptly accentuated by Rechberger's drumming. Joutsen's harsh vocal performance is great as well, especially the last pre-chorus delivery.

26. I of Crimson Blood (Silent Waters)
It's not very common that the piano is highly prominent in an Amorphis song throughout, but this is a fine example of one. The simple yet effective and catchy main motif is carried by the soft-heavy alternation, combined with a more playful bridge melody. Really nice stuff from Santeri.

25. My Future (Circle bonus track)
If there ever was one bonus track that should've been on the album proper, it's My Future. It's on the proggier side of Joutsen era Amorphis, underlined by the 7 minute duration, and features an unusual jam/solo section where I believe Kallio, Holopainen and Koivusaari all contribute a solo or lead. It's just so friggin' cool! The rest isn't really overshadowed by this either, as the amount of energy matches the better half of Circle sessions.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 02:55:26 PM by Luoto »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: April 30, 2018, 12:01:45 AM »
I never understood the amount of bonus tracks there is fir Circle. 5 I think from a 9 song album. They are all quality too, I usually listen to them all together.

Bad Blood is a terrific song.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #189 on: April 30, 2018, 01:35:10 AM »
Bad Blood is a terrific song.

Yeah, quoted for truth  :metal

And I've heard some of the Circle bonus tracks, but not this one-

I Of Crimson Blood is solid but wouldn't probably make my personal top 30.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #190 on: April 30, 2018, 02:22:40 AM »
I Of Crimson Blood is solid but wouldn't probably make my personal top 30.

Amorphis have so much solid stuff the bottom 10 could see some rotation at another time (and some songs be even a little higher).

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: April 30, 2018, 11:33:30 AM »
27. Bad Blood (Under the Red Cloud)
Another example of the power of the Amorphis riff, this time in a more melodic death metal fashion. In fact, this is probably the closest to the "Swedish" melodeath sound they've ever come to.
I noticed the same thing on first listen already - always got a bit of a modern Dark Tranquillity vibe from those riffs. A modern Amo classic and kickass live tune :metal

I of Crimson Blood is a nice pick, and so is My Future. It's a travesty that the latter didn't make it onto Circle! My main problem with the record is that most of the bonus tracks are more exciting than the lesser half of the main album. I even came up with my own tracklist by tweaking the order and replacing The Wanderer, Mission and Narrow Path with My Future, New Song and Dead Man's Dream:

1. My Future
2. Shades of Gray
3. New Song
4. Hopeless Days
5. Nightbird's Song
6. Dead Man's Dream
7. Into the Abyss
8. Enchanted by the Moon
9. A New Day