Author Topic: Amorphis Top x - up next: Luoto's top 30  (Read 13369 times)

Offline aprilethereal

Aaaaaaaaaaaand we enter the Top 5:

5) Silent Waters (Silent Waters, 2007)

Back when I just got into Opeth, one day I decided to search Youtube for live versions of their 1996 masterpiece The Night And The Silent Water. As I scrolled through the search results, there was a live video for the song "Silent Waters" by a band called "Amorphis". I had already heard that band name before, and I clicked on the video to check them out, since I wasn't sure what their music is actually like. Plus, a song that comes up when searching for (what was back then) one of my favourite Opeth songs couldn't potentially be bad, could it? It was that live video, taken from their DVD Forging The Land Of Thousand Lakes, that started it all. However, the title track of Amorphis' 2007 album is not only this high on my list for sentimental reasons. It is, still to this day, one of the most beautiful and touching songs I have ever heard. Just listen to that piano intro :o
Remember when I criticized My Enemy (#17 on this list) for being a bit too simplistic? Well Silent Waters might be the most simplistic Amorphis song ever, apart from the absolutely incredible solo (well that is pretty simple as well, but I love it), however, it just works so well here. Tomi's vocals are what really shines in this song, and it's one of his best performances ever, especially in the verses and the outro, when he sings pretty "mellow". Yes, it's simple. Yes, it's basically a pop song/ballad. But Silent Waters is a song that enchants me every single time I listen to it (not only the moon does so ololol Amorphis pun!!1!1!!11!!! ;)).

4) On Rich And Poor (Elegy, 1996)

On Rich And Poor was my #1 song by this band for quite some time. And although it's "only" #4 now doesn't mean it's not absolutely perfect anymore. It still is, and you know why? DEM GUITAR MELODIES is basically all that needs to be said about this song. The melodies right here are more mindblowing than, well, everything. They're awesome. Combine that with a chorus that is fairly "unmelodic" but still memorable as hell and some nice keyboard work and you have the reason why this song is so ridiculously good.
This writeup sucks, but that's simply because words can't do ORAP any justice.

3) The White Swan (Silent Waters, 2007)

Silent Waters again! Another song that is criminally underappreciated. If someone asked me what Joutsen era Amorphis sounds like, I'd show them this song. It literally has everything typical for the "modern" material by this band, and does it perfectly. Everything's here: The slow, mellow sections, the guitar melodies, the melodic and soft vocals, the more shouting-like clean vocals, the growls, the keyboard and piano, the bass, the drums, the chorus that you'll never get out of your memory again (and this one right here is one of the best I have ever heard in my life), the guitar solo (which is quite long and awesome in this song), and (obviously) the last chorus being played in a different key than the other ones and with extended lyrics. Why this masterpiece isn't universally loved is beyond me, and I recommend everbody to give it another chance or check it out if you haven't already. It's worth it, trust me.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
The White Swan would be definitely in my top 5 for sure. The first time I listened to it I couldn't believe how those melodies could be so full of strenght and so mellow at the same time. So underrated.
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline aprilethereal

The White Swan would be definitely in my top 5 for sure. The first time I listened to it I couldn't believe how those melodies could be so full of strenght and so mellow at the same time. So underrated.

:hifive:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Woot, Silent Waters. One of the only songs I know. :lol

Offline aprilethereal

You should at least get the whole album. Absolutely amazing stuff :tup

Offline aprilethereal

Let's see if anybody is still reading this instead of discussing TEI! I also have no idea what happened to the most active poster of this thread (?), since he hasn't been around for a couple of days, but I'm going to finish this off now:

2) My Kantele (2010 version) (Magic & Mayhem - Tales From The Early Years, 2010, originally released on Elegy, 1996)

My Kantele is a timeless classic, although honestly, the original probably would not have made my top 5. But then, in 2010, Amorphis released an album full of rerecorded classics from their first three albums. Most songs were simply rerecorded, but My Kantele was actually re-arranged and even re-written in parts, combining the elements from both versions (the original and the "acoustic reprise", both released on Elegy) and turning all that up to 11. I love the original, but this version is simply perfect. The acoustic intro, Tomi Joutsen's breathtaking vocals, the much improved keyboards, the amazing soloing and of course the beautiful and relaxing sitar outro reminiscent of the original's acoustic reprise are probably the biggest changes made to the song. All in all, Amorphis managed to morph (:neverusethis:) an (or actually two) great song(s) into one of the most impressive and addictive pieces of music I have ever heard. If you love the original, you simply need to check this verison out, if you love this one, don't pass on the Elegy version (or the whole album), and if you're not familiar with either: do yourself a favour and let My Kantele blow you away.

and my number one iiiiissss:

1) Elegy (Elegy, 1996)

If there is one Amorphis song that deserves to be described as being "epic", it's without a doubt the title track of Amorphis biggest masterpiece, the 1996 album Elegy. Not only because of the fact that it's the band's longest song to date, but also for it's "progressive" structure culminating in an incredible climax and the overall emotion that just pours out of this song. It's very keyboard driven, which is not surprising, since Kim Rantala, the keyboarder on Elegy, wrote most of the song, however, the whole band shines here. Both vocalists (Pasi Koskinen and Tomi Koivussaari) compliment each other perfectly, and Tomi's delay laden growls in the middle section act as a nice contrast to the more laid back nature of most of the song. For me, there is no doubt that Elegy is the very best in a collection of amazing songs this band has written, and one more reason why Amorphis is one of my favourite bands.

Here's the whole list in its entirety again:

(29. Day Of Your Beliefs (Far From The Sun, 2003))
(28. Against Widows (Elegy, 1996))
(27. House Of Sleep (Eclipse, 2006))
(26. Song Of The Troubled One (Elegy, 1996))
 25. The Wanderer (Circle, 2013)
 24. Skyforger (Skyforger, 2009)
 23. Nightbird's Song (Circle, 2013)
 22. Empty Opening (Eclipse, 2006)
 21. Divinity (Tuonela, 1999)
 20. Alone (Am Universum, 2001)
 19. Perkele (The God Of Fire) (Eclipse, 2006)
 18. Greed (Tuonela, 1999)
 17. My Enemy (The Beginning Of Times, 2011)
 16. Into Hiding (Tales From The Thousand Lakes, 1994)
 15. Better Unborn (Elegy, 1996)
 14. Towards And Against (Silent Waters, 2007)
 13. Sampo (Skyforger, 2009)
 12. Black Winter Day (Tales From The Thousand Lakes, 1994)
 11. The Smoke (Eclipse, 2006)
 10. Enchanted By The Moon (Circle, 2013)
 09. The Way (Tuonela, 1999)
 08. Dead Man's Dream (Circle bonus track, 2013)
 07. Magic And Mayhem (Tales From The Thousand Lakes, 1994)
 06. Weaving The Incantation (Silent Waters, 2007)
 05. Silent Waters (Silent Waters, 2007)
 04. On Rich And Poor (Elegy, 1996)
 03. The White Swan (Silent Waters, 2007)
 02. My Kantele (2010 version) (Magic & Mayhem - Tales From The Early Years, 2010 / Elegy, 1996)
 01. Elegy (Elegy, 1996)

Thank's to everybody who followed and commented, although there were not really that many of you, I still appreciate it :D

Offline gazinwales

Awesome list my man, and extra kudos for putting Elegy and My Kantele up the top, 2 of my top choices too.
The Elegy album is a classic and the more people know this the better  :metal
Sorry my Tomi J era list is still not finished, I've been sick for the past week and before that had no time to complete.
I hope to get it done later this week.

Offline aprilethereal

Awesome list my man, and extra kudos for putting Elegy and My Kantele up the top, 2 of my top choices too.

The Elegy album is a classic and the more people know this the better  :metal

Exactly. Let's spread the awesomeness :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
ELEGY :2metal:
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline aprilethereal

SO ENERGY...POWAH!!! :metalol:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Sorry about the lack of comments, I haven't visited this forum in 4 or 5 days! All I can say is that it surprised me to see some of those songs so high, especially Dead Man's Dream and Silent Waters.
Jeez I love Amorphis so bad! Will wait my turn :)
Added you to the waiting list in the OP :)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent

I do plan on it, but the backlog of albums I need to buy is becoming unbearable. :lol

Offline aprilethereal

I do plan on it, but the backlog of albums I need to buy is becoming unbearable. :lol

Same here, so I understand that :D

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
Added you to the waiting list in the OP :)

Thanks a lot man  :metal

Loved your list aprilethereal   :tup
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline aprilethereal

Re: Amorphis Top x: aprilethereal's top 25 is over
« Reply #154 on: August 07, 2013, 04:17:22 AM »
Thank you, looking forward to your list :tup

Offline aprilethereal

Re: Amorphis Top x: aprilethereal's top 25 is over
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2013, 07:16:06 AM »
If you are interested in an Amorphis survivor this year, please tell me so in the "main" Amorphis thread: www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=366.560

I'd like to do one, but of course, it doesn't make any sense without enough participants :smiley:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Amorphis Top x: gazinwales' turn!
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2013, 04:27:51 AM »
Gaz, are you ready to go?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2013, 02:26:53 PM »
I'll have something tonight 12AUG13 East Coast Australian Time, GMT +10.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2013, 02:32:59 PM »
That is strangely specific. :D

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2013, 01:26:55 AM »
Okay here it is, a little delay down to some technical issues :)
The first time I ever heard Tomi J sing, was on a bootleg audience audio recording, a mate of mine from Finland told me how awesome he was in the flesh, but the recording didn't do him any justice at all.
So when Ellipse was due to be released I didn't have a lot of hope for anything from Amorphis anymore, specially after Pasi declining last album(s).

20 - Enigma (Silent Waters 2007)

This was probably the album that confirmed me as a massive Amorphis fan. I was lucky enough to get a promo of this and it was love at first sound.
I still ended up buying the Japanese version for the bonus track, 'Sign'.

19 - Shaman (Silent Waters 2007)

Yes another SW tune, I love the acoustic guitar and every time I hear it, I still wait for it to explode, yet of course, it never does.

18 - Into The Abyss (Circle 2013)

A different kind of feel for Amorphis, odd time signature, but lots of groove and melody.

16 - Towards and Against (Silent Waters 2007)

One of many digital delay guitar FX songs, that builds up into a majestic beast. The chorus of, 'I know how to shout, I know how to sing', Tomi J sure does. Also if you listen closely there are black metal screams in the back ground.

15 - From Earth I Rose (Skyforger 2009)

Surprisingly, Skyforger is my least fave Tomi J era album, something never clicked with me, but I've gone back to it and appreciate a lot more than I did.
Esa's lead drives this one, with another great rooooooooooooar at the start from Tomi J and some viscous growls. The folky melody seals the deal for me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:33:37 AM by gazinwales »

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2013, 03:24:45 AM »
One of many digital delay guitar FX songs, that builds up into a majestic beast.

:neverusethis:

Great choices, especially Towards And Against :tup

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2013, 04:58:34 AM »
14 - Silver Bride (Skyforger 2009)

While some people do not like the lead off singles, I'm a sucker for them and Amorphis always put out a catchy driving song and this one is no different.

13 - On A Stranded Shore (The Beginning Of Times 2011)

A very underrated album, that I seem to enjoy quite a lot, this one oozes lots of great melodies and the lyrics are magic.

12 - My Future (Circle Bonus Track 2013)

Why this was left off the Circle album proper, I will never know, far too strong to be relegated to the bonus track category.

11 - Mission (Circle 2013)

Oh yeah, this song is perfect, from the piano intro to the driving driving guitar melody, brilliant chorus too.

10 - Under A Soil and Black Moon (Eclipse 2006)

A change of pace for Amorphis, more laid back and almost balladesque.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2013, 05:02:21 AM »
I think you got the song title of #10 wrong ;)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Amorphis Top x: gazinwales' Joutsen-era top 20
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2013, 08:01:48 AM »
'I know how to fight, I know how to sing'
FTFY.

I don't care too much about On a Stranded Shore and Mission, but most of the picks are great. Enigma isn't exaclty a favorite of mine, but it's a nice break from the typical Amorphis style. I bought the Silver Bride single when it was released and listened to it quite a lot prior to the release of Skyforger, but it has aged surprisingly well despite never being among my favorites from Skyforger. However, I've learned not to listen to pre-album release singles (by any band) too frequently since then.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2013, 09:37:08 AM »

09 - Narrow Path (Circle 2013)

Oh the folky melody and Thin Lizzy/Gary Moore guitars and celtic undertones makes this one special.

08 - Battle For Light (The Beginning Of Times 2011)

What a great first song, this was has it all, even the kitchen sink thrown in.

07 - You I Need (The Beginning Of Times 2011)

A very catchy song, that is pure melodic bliss, the chorus is so beautiful. One of Tomi's best ever vocals too.

06 - Sky Is Mine (Skyforger 2009)

More DD guitar, and the whispered chorus make this one stand out, on a otherwise disappointing album.

05 - Sampo (Skyforger 2009)

Another great opener, and Amorphis have many, but this one is perfect, that chorus just kills me every time I hear this.

BTW if anyone guesses my top 3, I will be so amazed that I will sent you a prize in the mail (bootleg DVD and audio)  :yarr

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2013, 09:45:21 AM »
You I Need is by far my least favourite of the Joutsen era singles tbh.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2013, 09:47:45 AM »
I guess EBTM might be in your top 3, or some other Circle song.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #167 on: August 14, 2013, 11:11:48 AM »
Nope not even close  :tup

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2013, 12:55:35 PM »
Great bunch of songs with the exception of You I Need - even when the song was released I thought the chorus was kind of weak.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2013, 02:59:58 PM »
04 - House Of Sleep (Eclipse 2006)

Probably a surprise choice to most, but this one is a live favourite, catchy as hell and one of their best.

03 - Silent Waters (Silent Waters 2007)

I don't know why I like this so much, but it always stood out in the Amorphis catalogue to my ears. The piano driven melody and strong chorus make this one for me.

02 - Song Of The Sage (The Beginning Of Times 2011)

More folky inspired melodies and Tomi's growl's make this such a strong song.

01 - Leaves Scar (Eclipse 2006)

I didn't really appreciate this one until I saw the live version on the TftTL DVD, which took me back to the studio version, which has more acoustic guitars than the live version.
I love both versions, for different reasons, though the live version seems to be played a little faster and have a lot of energy.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2013, 04:37:19 AM »
Great to see some appreciation for Silent Waters :tup

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2013, 04:37:55 AM »
General information on the upcoming survivor here: www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=38557

PLEASE VOTE THERE WHETHER YOU WANT BONUS TRACKS AND NON-ALBUM TRACKS TO BE INCLUDED

If you have suggestions, I'd appreciate you posting them there as well.

I hope as many of you as possible will participate :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2013, 10:03:21 AM »
The singles are surprisingly high, but they're catchy songs. SOTS and Leaves Scar are worthy top 2 songs! :tup

Milena, it's time for you to post your list When You're Ready ;)

Offline aprilethereal

Re: Amorphis Top x: MoraWintersoul's turn!
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2013, 01:54:00 AM »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Amorphis Top x: MoraWintersoul's turn!
« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2013, 05:23:12 AM »
:bump: