Author Topic: Dream Theater New tour overpriced??  (Read 11229 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Dream Theater New tour overpriced??
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2013, 06:28:57 AM »
Doubling in price in under 5 years is pretty steep. What other shows have you been to over the same rough time frame for comparison of how much they've gone up?

(edit: posted that before your edit, although I'd still like to see comparison for similar bands)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2013, 06:37:07 AM »
A fact of life.  Cost goes up.
The last 4 Dream Theater shows I've seen:

2009-10-09 - Manchester Apollo - £30
2011-07-23 - Wolverhampton - £34
2012-02-09 - Manchester Apollo - £50
2014-02-13 - Manchester Apollo - £62

That's not a reasonable rising cost. I've just bought tickets for 2 concerts at the Manchester Arena (a much larger venue, known for charging high prices) for £25 and £30, so I place the blame for these price rises squarely at Dream Theater's feet.

Remember the possibility that certain venues might have raised their prices. The ticket price consists of a part that goes to DT/RR and a part that goes to the venue.
Certainly doesn't look like the venue's fault. Here's some upcoming gigs at the Manchester Apollo:
Deep Purple - £41
Paul Weller - £43
Kenny Rogers - £51
Wu tang Clan - £40
Soundgarden - £42
Russell brand - £32

I'm pretty sure Jordan commented before the Dramatic Tour that the price rise was because of the more elaborate and expensive stage show they would be putting on. I was unimpressed, and the only reason I am going this year is because it's An Evening With. If the next cycle is a similar price (£50+) then I doubt I'll be going.

Except that they added a real screen, better stage set up so they've poured the money into the show so for fans they have to understand this.  Also, they are still reasonable compared to other shows.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2013, 06:38:11 AM »
Doubling in price in under 5 years is pretty steep. What other shows have you been to over the same rough time frame for comparison of how much they've gone up?

(edit: posted that before your edit, although I'd still like to see comparison for similar bands)

You'll have to excuse some of the bands, not all my choice  ;)

2006-11-22 - Bullet For My Valentine - £18
2007-02-22 - Kaiser Chiefs - £24
2007-05-17 - Good Charlotte - £18
2012-11-12 - Lostprophets - £26
2012-12-13 - Stone Sour - £27
2013-03-15 - Bullet For My Valentine - £22

I seem to have a gap in my ticket stubs. But you get the point, 5 years ago it seems £18 was the norm (Kaiser Chiefs probably commanding more as a "popular" band). And now it's more in the late £20's (I think that Bullet show wasn't an album support tour, just some extra dates they did that probably explains why it's a little cheaper)

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2013, 06:40:06 AM »
Dream Theater - £62
Deep Purple - £41
Paul Weller - £43
Kenny Rogers - £51
Wu tang Clan - £40
Soundgarden - £42
Russell brand - £32

Except that they added a real screen, better stage set up so they've poured the money into the show so for fans they have to understand this.  Also, they are still reasonable compared to other shows.

I didn't notice any difference with the screen. Not doubting it was upgraded, just that it didn't make any difference to me, or anyone I went with.

"Reasonable" compared to other shows? They're 50% more expensive than most I listed!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2013, 06:45:45 AM »
I've seen them every tour from I&W except for the TOT tour and there is a big difference.  I agree that it is a lot, I am just saying they are pouring the money into the shows.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2013, 06:48:24 AM »
I've seen them every tour from I&W except for the TOT tour and there is a big difference.  I agree that it is a lot, I am just saying they are pouring the money into the shows.

Just shipping the drumkit and 600 guitars alone is going to cost them a buttload more than it costs for Russell Brand to bring a mic along in his luggage. :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2013, 06:59:11 AM »
I'd like to ship  Russell Brand and his mic to a deserted island so we would never listen to his god awful comedy ever again. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2013, 07:00:43 AM »
Then we'll see how much his ticket prices go up!

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2013, 07:01:26 AM »
It's strange that the price seems to rise only on certain locations, and if it isn't because of the venue maybe they are preparing something special for those shows. Orchestra? The price here in Offenbach is the same as last tour, and in this venue it would be rather difficult to place a full orchestra.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2013, 07:01:35 AM »
Shmeg,

I don't see how those few screens can possibly justify the increase in price tag.

Also, why are people constantly bringing up an orchestra? I really hope that won't be the case.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2013, 07:03:25 AM »
It's strange that the price seems to rise only on certain locations, and if it isn't because of the venue maybe they are preparing something special for those shows. Orchestra? The price here in Offenbach is the same as last tour, and in this venue it would be rather difficult to place a full orchestra.

The economy and exchange rates would factor into that, I think. There's no way they could haul an orchestra around, and using local orchestras would be a logistical pain.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2013, 07:07:28 AM »
I'm not saying it's all justified and people do have some grips but they have updated from past tours.  We can add another thing to this discussion,  they upped their price since they were nominated for a Grammy,  At least that's what they are thinking.  I think most band that garner some popularity up their cost.  Is it right?  Yes and no. 

So the real answer will be if people don't go to see them, they will have to lower their cost.  It's all about demand.

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2013, 07:11:36 AM »
So the real answer will be if people don't go to see them, they will have to lower their cost.  It's all about demand.

Eventually, however they didn't sell out the venue out at £50, increasing that to £62 implies they're just going to keep squeezing more money out of the fans who will go no matter what

Offline philmcson

« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2013, 07:14:32 AM »
I'm not saying it's all justified and people do have some grips but they have updated from past tours.  We can add another thing to this discussion,  they upped their price since they were nominated for a Grammy,  At least that's what they are thinking.  I think most band that garner some popularity up their cost.  Is it right?  Yes and no. 

That's what I wanted to say. I've spoken to a concert promoter and he told me that every band and artist has a "concert price" which is based on previous ticket sales, Grammy/whateverelse nominations and awards, album sales etc. So, DT has certainly raised their price in recent years.
But, they charge in every country the same price. So, it depends on how much the venue costs, electricity, water, local crew for stagework etc..... I think he told me that 45% of expenses go to the band, 55% on everything else (venue, bills, ticket agency fees,....). And, of course, in order to be able to attract more and even better artists, a good promoter has to make a profit from every concert, after meeting all (un)named demands.....

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2013, 08:31:26 AM »
It's a little bit of everything.  Just like in our life, we want raise, and i expect they do as well.  That being said I think it's cost and demand right now and people are willing to pay it.  Do I bitch about concert ticket prices.....HELL YEAH!  But I do understand the cost going in.  It's up to me if I am wiling to pay that price.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2013, 09:40:49 AM »
I feel like I'm the only one here who lives in the U.S., as I don't even have the pound key on my keyboard.

I know at the last concert I went to (Rush), we spent over $500 total for decent seats.

There were 5 of us. Over $100 per ticket. Pretty expensive. I hope DT isn't the same way, but if so, I'll remember to save $200 off the job I'll be doing this summer.

The job I'm doing this summer is to pay for half of a winter trip to Chicago with my school's orchestra, and I'm paying for half of it at least (around $900), which I should be able to obtain doing a 40 hour work week for about 7 weeks. (minumum wage at a grocery store, specifically HEB)
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2013, 12:18:50 PM »
Well, you are getting 3 hours of DT this time, instead of 2+, so maybe that explains the price hike.
If the band do the same as usual but for longer, I don't think that would justify it at all.
You don't think it's justified to charge more for a larger quantity of a product than a smaller quantity of a product?
The quantity will be roughly the same in total, just with all DT and no opening band. But fewer people need to be paid, and less equipment needs to be moved around, so the costs should be cheaper (unless the venues are charging a lot more, as some have suggested). If costs go down, I would expect prices to go down. Simple economics.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2013, 01:02:42 PM »
I know at the last concert I went to (Rush), we spent over $500 total for decent seats.
There were 5 of us. Over $100 per ticket. Pretty expensive.

Same here for the Rush concert in Boston. Was the last time I'm seeing them though, because of that. Rush is ok, but they're not worth $100 per concert.
Honestly, my limit I would put at $60 for a reasonable "band I really like" price.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2013, 02:06:39 PM »
There were 5 of us. Over $100 per ticket. Pretty expensive.

Same here for the Rush concert in Boston. Was the last time I'm seeing them though, because of that. Rush is ok, but they're not worth $100 per concert.
Honestly, my limit I would put at $60 for a reasonable "band I really like" price.

Damn they were about $80 including fees, here in albuquerque during the time machine tour. Hmm....That might be why they didn't come here for this current tour.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »
Well, you are getting 3 hours of DT this time, instead of 2+, so maybe that explains the price hike.
If the band do the same as usual but for longer, I don't think that would justify it at all.
You don't think it's justified to charge more for a larger quantity of a product than a smaller quantity of a product?
The quantity will be roughly the same in total, just with all DT and no opening band. But fewer people need to be paid, and less equipment needs to be moved around, so the costs should be cheaper (unless the venues are charging a lot more, as some have suggested). If costs go down, I would expect prices to go down. Simple economics.

I disagree.  DT is working longer hours at each show now - think of it as overtime ;) - so them asking for more money from fans is more than reasonable, just like any hourly employee would get paid a lot more if their workload increased by 50% every working day.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2013, 01:44:24 AM »
I don't know how else to explain it. Yes, we would pay DT more, but we would no longer be paying the support band for that time. And the support band would also have all of their equipment and a bus to help them travel around, etc. When you pay for your tickets, you pay for the entire show, not just for the headline act.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2013, 06:27:27 AM »
When you pay for your tickets, you pay for the entire show, not just for the headline act.
That must explain your viewpoint.  When I buy DT tickets, I'm paying for the headline act.  The opener is just filler, I'm not paying shit for them and many fans even ditch the opener or show up late to avoid them.

If I paid, say, $50.00 for a DT show a couple of years ago for 2 hours of DT, and now I know I'm getting 3 hours of DT, I would expect to pay more now.  Even without a Grammy nomination, which alone is enough justification to ask for a little more, IMHO.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2013, 08:15:50 AM »
The price is also the same in Copenhagen as for the ADTOE tour for the general admission seats (the whole floor section w/no seats in this case)... but this time it's in a different venue (Falconer Salen) and there is also reserved seating all the way around on a terrace and balcony section which I gladly paid extra for for the convenience of being able to sit down and not having to strain to see over all the taller people in front of me and my even shorter 13 year old son) AND being able to enjoy the concert from the comfort of our seats which are right on the terrace rail... looked like the VIP packages were also about the same price as last time as far as I can remember.

I'm really lucky I happened to even check for tickets today... since there hasn't been any reserved seating for the last few shows I thought I had plenty of time to get my tickets. Man I would have been pissed if I didn't check for a couple of more months and there was only general seating left...

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2013, 08:38:15 AM »
When you pay for your tickets, you pay for the entire show, not just for the headline act.
That must explain your viewpoint.  When I buy DT tickets, I'm paying for the headline act.  The opener is just filler, I'm not paying shit for them and many fans even ditch the opener or show up late to avoid them.

If I paid, say, $50.00 for a DT show a couple of years ago for 2 hours of DT, and now I know I'm getting 3 hours of DT, I would expect to pay more now.  Even without a Grammy nomination, which alone is enough justification to ask for a little more, IMHO.

:tup
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Grizz

« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2013, 09:21:56 PM »
Yes, but again the price spike was back in 2012, at least around here, and these were not Evening with shows.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2013, 10:34:37 PM »
IMHO it's a somewhat futile exercise to try to find specific markers in time that caused a rise in ticket prices. It's a simple supply vs. demand thing. People are willing to shell out the money these days. The bands charge that money. Honestly, I would say the fans' willingness to pay those prices is equally as much at fault as the bands. Look at all the people in this thread who willingly drop several hundred dollars to go to a concert.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2013, 01:37:28 AM »
IMHO it's a somewhat futile exercise to try to find specific markers in time that caused a rise in ticket prices. It's a simple supply vs. demand thing. People are willing to shell out the money these days. The bands charge that money. Honestly, I would say the fans' willingness to pay those prices is equally as much at fault as the bands. Look at all the people in this thread who willingly drop several hundred dollars to go to a concert.
Well, if I get the chance to see DT once every 2-3 years, the last thing I'm going to do is get caught up worrying and nagging about the ticket price. Is it unreasonably expensive? Maybe. Do I really care anyway? Nope, not on the long run.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2013, 01:44:12 AM »
Ticket for Croatian show is 15£ this week (European Union week) and then 30£. I guess we're cheapest but venue isn't big and that good IMO. Arena Zagreb would be better but more expensive and at least half empty.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:05:24 AM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2013, 04:51:21 AM »
A band like DT will have a lot of newer fans, and younger fans, and they're gonna be priced out of the market. Add in travel costs, and not everyone can "drop a couple of hundred" to go to a gig.
I'm lucky, I've seen DT numerous times since 1993, and I can afford Gold VIP tickets to see 'em again. Not everyone can - I feel sorry for younger DT fans who've never seen them and just can't afford it.
More to the point, if ticket prices do keep going up, I'm gonna have to seriously think about going to shows in the future, and I'm sure I won't be alone.

And yeah, I was also pretty underwhelmed with the ADTOE tour for the money. Look what Rush laid on for a similar price... 

"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2013, 08:29:15 AM »
A band like DT will have a lot of newer fans, and younger fans, and they're gonna be priced out of the market. Add in travel costs, and not everyone can "drop a couple of hundred" to go to a gig.
Oh, definitely. When I got into DT around the ToT/8vm era, I never got to see them live. Simply put, tickets were too expensive for my highschool studen ass. Now that I'm an adult, I can still go see DT if I want. But neither I nor any of my friends could afford to go to DT, who were at least three or four times as expensive as any of the other bands we were listening to.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2013, 12:34:51 PM »

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any single person saying they paid "several hundred dollars" to go to a concert?  ???

Offline robwebster

« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2013, 04:06:59 PM »
IMHO it's a somewhat futile exercise to try to find specific markers in time that caused a rise in ticket prices. It's a simple supply vs. demand thing. People are willing to shell out the money these days.
...Are they?

I'm not exactly up-together on my world economics at the moment - but I figured the prices we're comparing against each other, generally, are either side of an economic recession. People were tripping money, back then, and have bugger all money nowadays. If there's any reason for a price hike, I wondered if it might've been that. Concerts are a riskier business now people aren't as happy to spend on luxuries, but it's a unique product and there's a core audience who'll always buy any given gig, so make as much money as possible off those customers and anything else is a bonus.

Offline FsF

« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2013, 06:46:11 PM »
The increased ticket prices would have been a big gripe for me, but they've forced my (killing) hand against seeing them by not even having a gig in Scotland. Screw having to spend £200 on 4 flights just to see a band, let alone £60+ on a ticket.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2013, 06:52:07 PM »
The way I see it, I was a little late to the game (becoming a fan just after the release of Black Clouds), and well, realistically, you gotta get out and see them whenever you can!!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2013, 09:37:18 PM »
I just blew all my money on a new cymbal and bass drum pedal. Hopefully I can earn it back in time to get a decent ticket...
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"