Author Topic: Dream Theater New tour overpriced??  (Read 11231 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Dream Theater New tour overpriced??
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 10:59:04 AM »
3 hours of music by a band by love isn't too much for me at all, especially if the venue is seated.

Yep, it has to be seated.  I don't care how awesome a band is live, a three-hour show is unbearable if there aren't seats, since that requires getting in line outside early enough to get a good spot, and then getting inside and waiting at least an hour for the show to start, meaning you are on your feet for probably close to five straight hours.  No thanks.

I 've seen people sit down before and during calm songs at many GA shows.

But with a band whom has long songs,  3hours is way worth it,  but I also like live music a lot regardregardless of band, as long as the energy is there.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 11:10:46 AM »
To all the people saying it's because of the Evening with set, what about ADToE? That was a big step up from 2009/2010 shows as far as price is concerned.

Yes, you're spot on. And we were told the presentation had been stepped up as a consequence. All we got were three big, distorted screens. Worth the hike?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
£61 for Manchester probably puts it out of my range at the moment. Bugger. Not missed a UK tour ever (as far as I remember- could be wrong) but I'll struggle to justify that at the moment. That's nearly double what I paid for the MM warm up shows a couple of years ago. Sign of the times I guess.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »
Do these prices include service fees?

Anyways, these prices can reflect a lot of things.  Ex, better stage show, guest spots. Maybe the venues charge the band more now forcing them to increase the ticket price.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Grizz

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2013, 11:33:02 AM »
To all the people saying it's because of the Evening with set, what about ADToE? That was a big step up from 2009/2010 shows as far as price is concerned.

Yes, you're spot on. And we were told the presentation had been stepped up as a consequence. All we got were three big, distorted screens. Worth the hike?
Well, there was a hell of a light show, and they used (expensive but great for shows such as this) LEDs. But IMO PN09's was better because it was simpler and didn't distract from the band. I think that ADToE's lights were obnoxious.
I thought that the screen effects were kind of cool, but they were kind of small.
Maybe it was the Grammy nomination. After all, look at the spike in popularity for the YT video of In the Name of God:
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
Prices go up over time.  That's life.  First concert I ever attended in 1978 (Whitesnake/Jethro Tull) the tickets were $8.00

In 1982 I saw Judas Priest w/ Iron Maiden and those tickets were about $20.00

First time I saw Dream Theater (2002) it was "An Evening With" and the front row balcony seats cost around $35.00

A few years later I saw them on one of those Prog Nation tours and it was around $45.00

Couple of years ago I saw them with one opening band and those tickets were a little bit over $50.00

I just think, especially now, in the age of torrents, expecting a band not to increase concert ticket prices over time is unrealistic.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »
DT concert prices in Finland:
2007 - 53€
2009 (ProgNation) - 59,70€
2012 - 60,50€
2014 - 72,50€

Inflation....

Were these concerts at the same venue?

Over here, it was 40€ in 2011 and it is 40€ again in 2014, same venue.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 01:45:05 PM »
Looking forward to a 3-hour tour.

A 3-hour tour.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2013, 01:50:42 PM »
On the night of the concert:

The weather started getting rough, the tiny bus was tossed. If not for the courage of the fearless crew, Dream Theater would be lost. Dream Theater would be lost.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2013, 01:54:39 PM »
DT concert prices in Finland:
2007 - 53€
2009 (ProgNation) - 59,70€
2012 - 60,50€
2014 - 72,50€

Inflation....

Were these concerts at the same venue?

Over here, it was 40€ in 2011 and it is 40€ again in 2014, same venue.

Yes, the same venue.

This tour really is overprised. If we compare for example Rush and DT, Rush has pyro effects,  really big light stands and big screens. DT has only a great light show but that's it. I really hope something bigger now when the prices are so high. No for those cube screens in ADToE tour.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline JRuivo

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2013, 02:25:33 PM »
Funny how we have the economical crisis here in Portugal, but at the same time we have the cheaper ticket prices of the tour (30 euros)

Offline YngVai

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »
I personally see nothing wrong with those prices... I dropped $400 without blinking an eye to see Rush with my dad last year in the VIP section. Sometimes you have to cough up the dough to see an amazing act.

Ouch, it hits me right in my poverties. 

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2013, 03:16:07 PM »
Looking forward to a 3-hour tour.

A 3-hour tour.

Hope the weather doesn't start getting rough on the day of the show.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2013, 03:17:32 PM »
never enough

I think I've paid about the same price for every DT show since PN09.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2013, 03:35:02 PM »
Prices seem just fine to me.

Offline John94

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2013, 03:41:26 PM »
£4 or so more for potentially an extra 30-60 minutes of DT. Fine to me.

Offline Rhayader

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2013, 03:50:35 PM »
I agree it is overpriced, specially with these VIP tickets which cost 200€. WTF.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2013, 06:10:28 PM »
The prices have to go up when the expenses go up, that seems fair to me. Anyway they're still cheaper than many popular acts. The last time Madonna visited Oslo the ticket prices ranged from 925 to 3525 NOK, while DT was a little over 600 if I don't remember it wrong (and I think the venue is a bit more expensive by default than the one they usually play at). Seems like a quite fair price to me to see an actual band playing (plus Periphery that time of course). It's not like there is much money to get from selling records these days anyway, so I guess that they effectively have to pay for the 6 months in the studio by playing live.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:16:31 PM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2013, 10:55:18 PM »
never enough

I think I've paid about the same price for every DT show since PN09.

Ooooh, well done on being that guy!

You're lucky you live somewhere where prices apparently haven't changed. For some of us, they've increased markedly and seemingly well beyond the cost of the living.

And since you played the Never Enough card, should this be the part where, presumably since I'm one of the people you were aiming at with your pithy remark, I tell you I've attended 20 concerts in four different countries on three different continents?

Never enough, indeed :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2013, 11:02:34 PM »
:lol

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2013, 11:20:41 PM »
Posted this as a thread in the concert section, but not sure if that will get as much notice there or not. Here's what I'm wondering....

DT have become fairly well known (I think) for their use of cinematic symphony scores for opening their shows. They used Psycho for the CIM tour. They used The Dream Collapses from Inception for their first tour with Mangini. Do you think they'll use an opening theme for the Evening With... shows? What do you think it will be?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2013, 12:13:25 AM »
Probably the intro/overture track from the new album

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2013, 12:50:37 AM »
If the substantial hike is due to an overly ambitious stage production then I'm definitely against that. I appreciate their wanting to make a nice show but times are tough for many of us and we, as a fan base, aren't like top 40 fans who want/need gimmicks to get us out to the shows. Honestly, I'd be thrilled to be able to see DT played a 100-capacity club with dingy carpet and Bud Light posters that are so old they're from back before they even had silver in their color scheme.

My personal feeling on 3 hours is that it's perfectly fine. In my 16 years of working, I've never had a single job where I got to sit down at any time that wasn't on my break so I'm used to standing at least 8 hours a day and can effortlessly work a 15+ hour shift to this day. My only physical discomfort during long shows is the heat.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2013, 01:15:37 AM »
I personally see nothing wrong with those prices... I dropped $400 without blinking an eye to see Rush with my dad last year in the VIP section. Sometimes you have to cough up the dough to see an amazing act.
I totally agree. For many bands today touring is their bread and butter

I do some travel for concerts and in order to afford that I have created an bank account specific for concert-going. Each month I put about 15-17% of my pay check into that account that way I don't have to think twice when great bands announce tour dates. Start saving up would be my advice to those who complain about the prices

Offline philmcson

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2013, 02:05:22 AM »
I totally agree. For many bands today touring is their bread and butter

I do some travel for concerts and in order to afford that I have created an bank account specific for concert-going. Each month I put about 15-17% of my pay check into that account that way I don't have to think twice when great bands announce tour dates. Start saving up would be my advice to those who complain about the prices

Wow, yes. I also pipe part of my monthly paycheck into an alternative account for varios investments, but most often those funds get spent on concert tickets and travelling expenses. *hi5*

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2013, 02:26:23 AM »
Start saving up would be my advice to those who complain about the prices

Or don't go so we can avoid contributing to the rising prices. If the big hike is for bells and whistles rather than unavoidable costs related to logistics for a typical concert experience then I think it makes zero sense to play their game ("their" being who ever is responsible for the big price hikes.) A lot of people have to travel great distances for these shows so it's really a kick in the dick to have another $20-30 thrown on top of a show that's already north of $100 for cheap seats (when figuring in travel costs, lodging, etc.) just so we can get some fancy lights, stage props, potential orchestra, etc.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2013, 03:42:13 AM »
If DT or Roadrunner demanded more money per concert, shouldn't the prices go up everywhere?
Since they didn't, remember the possibility that certain venues might have raised their prices. The ticket price consists of a part that goes to DT/RR and a part that goes to the venue.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2013, 03:46:13 AM »
I just shelled out 60 euro´s for a ticket, which is something I wouldn´t do for any other band. So yeah, I´d say it´s ¨pretty steep´.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline eosforum

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2013, 03:48:16 AM »
I have only watched an "Evening With..." show, in 2005 in Greece and the price was 40 euros. Now I'm going to attend the one in Amsterdam and the price is 55. I have read that in other countries it's still closer to 40. So maybe it depends on the country. Of coure it would be awesome if they have an orchestra with them for the whole tour, yet I believe they will only have them for the last show and maybe shoot another dvd of the whole new album played live ala "Scenes from New York".

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2013, 04:14:38 AM »
It's the booking fees and the postage that really inflate the prices - for my ticket for Manchester, they work out at over 17% of the total cost! But checking the cost the Glasgow show in 2012, they're only £4 more expensive - which is justified I guess, considering it's an 'Evening With'. The total for me was £42.50, though the seat isn't great I don't think.

I live in the UK so I don't know what it's like in other parts of the world, but my first choice to see them was Wembley Arena, but they have the seats AGAIN!!! So I decided to look at tickets for Wolverhampton but they're like £60! I've seen them there before and the venue isn't even THAT big. Is it just me or is this quite ridiculous?
ive just booked my tickets for Wolverhampton and they were only fifty five quid not much more than they were in Glasgow last time:-) the most expensive part will be the train grr £110 return!!!
Where are you getting the train from? When I looked from Perth to Manchester for 12 weeks in advance (the earliest you can buy train tickets I think and the cheapest), it would have been £64. But then when I tried splitting my ticket - i.e buy one ticket from Perth to Glasgow or Edinburgh and back then another separately from Glasgow/Edinburgh to Manchester and back - it worked out to be only £48 if I got them as singles.
ive got to go from a wee town just outside of Glasgow called Helensburgh so a bit more expensive for me :-(
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2013, 05:26:05 AM »
Well, you are getting 3 hours of DT this time, instead of 2+, so maybe that explains the price hike.
If the band do the same as usual but for longer, I don't think that would justify it at all.
You don't think it's justified to charge more for a larger quantity of a product than a smaller quantity of a product?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2013, 05:54:06 AM »
A fact of life.  Cost goes up.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline robwebster

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2013, 06:16:07 AM »
Well, you are getting 3 hours of DT this time, instead of 2+, so maybe that explains the price hike.
If the band do the same as usual but for longer, I don't think that would justify it at all.
You don't think it's justified to charge more for a larger quantity of a product than a smaller quantity of a product?
I think in big, hallmark purchases it's fair to hope for a. an economy of scale, and b. quality over quantity.

Very few gigging costs are in that extra thirty minutes on stage. Transport, management, the logistics of flying (multiple!) bands across 50% of the planet's surface.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2013, 06:20:32 AM »
I think in big, hallmark purchases it's fair to hope for a. an economy of scale, and b. quality over quantity.

Very few gigging costs are in that extra thirty minutes on stage. Transport, management, the logistics of flying (multiple!) bands across 50% of the planet's surface.

If anything, I'd expect an Evening With show to even be cheaper, because no money is being paid to opening acts (however much they actually get), or any other costs associated with the opening acts.
I think the price rise is mostly just the economy, rather than any difference in the show though. I doubt they've planned enough of the upcoming live shows to even factor that in.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2013, 06:22:35 AM »
A fact of life.  Cost goes up.
The last 4 Dream Theater shows I've seen:

2009-10-09 - Manchester Apollo - £30
2011-07-23 - Wolverhampton - £34
2012-02-09 - Manchester Apollo - £50
2014-02-13 - Manchester Apollo - £62

That's not a reasonable rising cost. I've just bought tickets for 2 concerts at the Manchester Arena (a much larger venue, known for charging high prices) for £25 and £30, so I place the blame for these price rises squarely at Dream Theater's feet.

Remember the possibility that certain venues might have raised their prices. The ticket price consists of a part that goes to DT/RR and a part that goes to the venue.
Certainly doesn't look like the venue's fault. Here's some upcoming gigs at the Manchester Apollo:
Deep Purple - £41
Paul Weller - £43
Kenny Rogers - £51
Wu tang Clan - £40
Soundgarden - £42
Russell brand - £32

I'm pretty sure Jordan commented before the Dramatic Tour that the price rise was because of the more elaborate and expensive stage show they would be putting on. I was unimpressed, and the only reason I am going this year is because it's An Evening With. If the next cycle is a similar price (£50+) then I doubt I'll be going.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 06:28:15 AM by duncan3dc »