Author Topic: Dream Theater New tour overpriced??  (Read 11230 times)

Offline olliemedsy

Dream Theater New tour overpriced??
« on: June 28, 2013, 07:11:10 AM »
I live in the UK so I don't know what it's like in other parts of the world, but my first choice to see them was Wembley Arena, but they have the seats AGAIN!!! So I decided to look at tickets for Wolverhampton but they're like £60! I've seen them there before and the venue isn't even THAT big. Is it just me or is this quite ridiculous?

Offline adastra

Re: Dream Theater New tour overpriced??
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:15:32 AM »
it's the economy, man.. everything is pricey
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 07:22:38 AM »
For Wembley, £60 did strike me as a bit ridiculous, but then it seems that's only for the very front blocks of the stalls, everything else is less.

But yeah, it's a really big hike from two years ago. If they put on something really spectacular then that's fine, otherwise it's a bit lame.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 07:25:13 AM »
Well, you are getting 3 hours of DT this time, instead of 2+, so maybe that explains the price hike.

In a somewhat related topic, my ticket to see them in 1994, before the service charge, was 15 American dollars. :tup :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 07:27:21 AM »
I don't know prices around the world, so until they (hopefully) announce Australian shows, I can't comment on the ticket prices of the upcoming tour.
All ticket prices have seemed to go up though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 07:37:52 AM »
I live in the UK so I don't know what it's like in other parts of the world, but my first choice to see them was Wembley Arena, but they have the seats AGAIN!!! So I decided to look at tickets for Wolverhampton but they're like £60! I've seen them there before and the venue isn't even THAT big. Is it just me or is this quite ridiculous?
ive just booked my tickets for Wolverhampton and they were only fifty five quid not much more than they were in Glasgow last time:-) the most expensive part will be the train grr £110 return!!!
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline krands85

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 07:58:28 AM »
It's the booking fees and the postage that really inflate the prices - for my ticket for Manchester, they work out at over 17% of the total cost! But checking the cost the Glasgow show in 2012, they're only £4 more expensive - which is justified I guess, considering it's an 'Evening With'. The total for me was £42.50, though the seat isn't great I don't think.

ive just booked my tickets for Wolverhampton and they were only fifty five quid not much more than they were in Glasgow last time:-) the most expensive part will be the train grr £110 return!!!
Where are you getting the train from? When I looked from Perth to Manchester for 12 weeks in advance (the earliest you can buy train tickets I think and the cheapest), it would have been £64. But then when I tried splitting my ticket - i.e buy one ticket from Perth to Glasgow or Edinburgh and back then another separately from Glasgow/Edinburgh to Manchester and back - it worked out to be only £48 if I got them as singles.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 08:14:18 AM »
I still reckon that they are needing to fund an orchestra...

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 08:14:36 AM »
In Italy the price stayed pretty much the same, around 40€. I hope that doesn't mean that we're get less stage time, that would be unfair :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 08:17:20 AM »
3 hours of concert + a great stage production would explain that. I hope they do.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 08:20:50 AM »
About 40€ for me too, I guess that's okay since it's going to be An Evening With.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 08:22:06 AM »
I personally see nothing wrong with those prices... I dropped $400 without blinking an eye to see Rush with my dad last year in the VIP section. Sometimes you have to cough up the dough to see an amazing act.
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 08:55:26 AM »
In Italy the price stayed pretty much the same, around 40€. I hope that doesn't mean that we're get less stage time, that would be unfair :D
You know what buddy, I've just paid 57 Euros for a seat in the second row of the balcony, so they'd better not rush out of the stage too early!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 08:58:51 AM »
You know what buddy, I've just paid 57 Euros for a seat in the second row of the balcony, so they'd better not rush out of the stage too early!

For which show?
- Marco

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 09:00:20 AM »

For which show?
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37547.msg1604988#msg1604988

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 09:02:53 AM »
Crap, I will go there too. So good for my savings, if I want to do Rome as well.  :-X
- Marco

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 09:12:16 AM »
Well, you are getting 3 hours of DT this time, instead of 2+, so maybe that explains the price hike.
If the band do the same as usual but for longer, I don't think that would justify it at all. The extra cost of that would be nothing compared to the saving of not having to take a support band and all their kit/gear/roadies around with you.

Like I said though, if they do something special in terms of staging, guest musicians, etc. then I think that would justify it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline thyer

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 09:25:48 AM »
Here in Italy the price is 34 punds, near half of england...we are very lucky  :metal

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 09:33:47 AM »
DT are always a little expensive, IMO. But they're a 5 peice band that require a lot more equipment than most bands, plus they're kinda awkard in that they're too big for small venues, but too small for big venues, so they wind up charing people more to see them in bigger venues, but at least everyone can get tickets.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
If the band do the same as usual but for longer, I don't think that would justify it at all. The extra cost of that would be nothing compared to the saving of not having to take a support band and all their kit/gear/roadies around with you.

Like I said though, if they do something special in terms of staging, guest musicians, etc. then I think that would justify it.

I'm probably in the stark minority here, but for me a 3-hour concert isn't even desirable. Doesn't matter what band, after 2 hours my attention wanes and I start to get bored. There's only so much of the same music I can take in.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 09:40:19 AM »
I 3 hours of music in general is really too much for me to take in, even if it's while I'm working on the computer or driving or whatever. After like 80 minues, really, I just kinda want a break, and some silence.
That said, I've always wanted to see a DT Evening With... I missed them on 8va 'cause of ticket prices, and have regretted it ever since.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 09:43:51 AM »

I disagree.  I think most DT fans would agree that that 3rd hour of live music coming from Dream Theater, instead of some opening act most do not give two shits about, is more than worth a little extra $$$.

I'm probably in the stark minority here, but for me a 3-hour concert isn't even desirable. Doesn't matter what band, after 2 hours my attention wanes and I start to get bored. There's only so much of the same music I can take in.

I generally agree.  In the case of Rush, I can take it, because they are all over the place stylistically from era to era, and they are usually jumping from era to era in the live sets.  I do want to see Transatlantic next year finally, but do I worry that a 3-hour show of almost nothing but long epic after long epic will get a bit tiresome.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 09:57:09 AM »
People get bored of concerts... really? They always go by way too fast. Maybe it's just the fact I don't get to see much good shows around here, but a concert is something I'm hyped about from the moment it's announced, and that wait can last for months, then it's an entire day of feeling giddy while planning for the travel/travelling/waiting in line etc. And then it's over a few hours after it's started.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »
3 hours of music by a band by love isn't too much for me at all, especially if the venue is seated.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 10:07:49 AM »
DT concert prices in Finland:
2007 - 53€
2009 (ProgNation) - 59,70€
2012 - 60,50€
2014 - 72,50€

Inflation....
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 10:10:37 AM »
3 hours of concert + a great stage production would explain that. I hope they do.

I'd be interested in your definition of "a great stage production". I'm sure you can't be referring to previous shows - DT has never had a great stage production - or is this more out of sheer hope that they change their ways?

Three hours of DT, or in fact any band, is also too much for me. Never thought I'd ever agree with Rumborak or KevShmev but there we have it.

And finally, £55 - excluding fees! - is utterly excessive to see Dream Theater in Wolverhampton.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 10:14:14 AM »
3 hours of music by a band by love isn't too much for me at all, especially if the venue is seated.

Yep, it has to be seated.  I don't care how awesome a band is live, a three-hour show is unbearable if there aren't seats, since that requires getting in line outside early enough to get a good spot, and then getting inside and waiting at least an hour for the show to start, meaning you are on your feet for probably close to five straight hours.  No thanks.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 10:14:58 AM »
When I saw an "evening with" February 8th 2000 it flew by! I'm down for a 3 hour show easily.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 10:15:37 AM »
Yep, it has to be seated.  I don't care how awesome a band is live, a three-hour show is unbearable if there aren't seats, since that requires getting in line outside early enough to get a good spot, and then getting inside and waiting at least an hour for the show to start, meaning you are on your feet for probably close to five straight hours.  No thanks.
Yeah, now that I think about it, the venue HAS to be seated.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 10:21:52 AM »
I'm usually so high on adrenaline that I don't even notice that I've been standing for 5+ hours, but as soon as the music stops, I drop to the floor :D

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 10:33:09 AM »
I someway managed to stand almost 10 hours at the high voltage festival. Fortunately I was on the first row so I had something to lean on. I'm no senator Davis :D
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 10:36:24 AM »
I someway managed to stand almost 10 hours at the high voltage festival. Fortunately I was on the first row so I had something to lean on. I'm no senator Davis :D
I love how her name is becoming the synonym for general badassery :heart

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 10:39:08 AM »
Not to be political, but in the realms of filibustering, Rand Paul has her beat.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 10:52:56 AM »
To all the people saying it's because of the Evening with set, what about ADToE? That was a big step up from 2009/2010 shows as far as price is concerned.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 10:57:50 AM »
Ouch. Yeah, £55 is steep as hell. I'd have been fairly uncomfortable if they were pushing £40.

...I think I'll wait and see what I think of the album before committing to anything.