Author Topic: Portnoy Presents Progressive Nation 2014  (Read 6967 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Portnoy Presents Progressive Nation 2014
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 09:44:24 AM »
I hate to be that guy, but, really, without Dream Theater as an anchor for another Prog Nation tour, I don't really see how this can be as successful as the first one was (I've heard the second was far less so.) I mean, yes, some sort of PN 14 with TA headlining, I'd be there like a shot, but I just don't see how viable this could be as a national tour. Now, some sort of more limited festival thing? Probably far more viable.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 09:48:35 AM »
I hate to be that guy, but, really, without Dream Theater as an anchor for another Prog Nation tour, I don't really see how this can be as successful as the first one was (I've heard the second was far less so.) I mean, yes, some sort of PN 14 with TA headlining, I'd be there like a shot, but I just don't see how viable this could be as a national tour. Now, some sort of more limited festival thing? Probably far more viable.

Agreed.  For something like this, you need a headline act who could sell out the venues they will play all on their own, but be willing to take a little less money to headline the tour. The only "prog" acts (not counting the giants from the 70s who still tour, but would never do this type of tour at this point) who could probably do that are Dream Theater and Steven Wilson or Porcupine Tree.  There is probably no chance DT will do it (take less money so their former drummer can run his festival and make money), and something like that is not something I could see Steven Wilson wanting to do at this point in his career.  Not to mention that Wilson probably has no idea what he will be doing by next summer, and he is too artistic and creative-driven to have his entire year dictated by having to work around a festival schedule that will make him less money than he could make by touring on his own.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 10:28:13 AM »
How well did TFK/NM do? That'd be a decent gauge I think.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 10:51:44 AM »
I guessed it was progressive nation after PN. I expected the next tweet to be 2 and it threw me off when it was 1 :lol

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2013, 10:53:21 AM »
I'd love to see the following:

Transatlantic or Flying Colors
King's X
BigElf
Jolly

It's a very possible lineup.
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Seeing Devin Townsend would be awesome.
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »
Will DT be on the bill?

Odds roughly equivalent to the odds that a giraffe will crawl out of your ass and play "The Dance of Eternity" on an accordion while farting all of the drum parts.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 11:48:27 AM »
Will DT be on the bill?

Odds roughly equivalent to the odds that a giraffe will crawl out of your ass and play "The Dance of Eternity" on an accordion while farting all of the drum parts.

So...you're saying there's a chance?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »

Offline robwebster

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2013, 01:50:26 PM »
This seems like a really good decision.

The original Progressive Nations felt suspiciously like they were just Dream Theater's world tour with a bit of lipstick and a few extra bands bolted on. This was because Dream Theater did it instead of a world tour, and bolted a few extra bands on. Never quite a festival, and bitterly disappointing for DT fans who were holding out for a tour that never came.

It'll feel a lot more like its own thing, now, and I think it's exactly the kind of thing that a bloke with Mike Portnoy's black book could really excel at. Yes, good idea.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2013, 02:15:03 PM »
Oh god, if Haken is on this too... I would spend whatever amount of money to go see this.
Yep this. They'd get so much exposure too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2013, 02:15:58 PM »
This seems like a really good decision.

The original Progressive Nations felt suspiciously like they were just Dream Theater's world tour with a bit of lipstick and a few extra bands bolted on. This was because Dream Theater did it instead of a world tour, and bolted a few extra bands on.
That's pretty much 'cause it was. Most bands in the genre seem to have no choice but to tour with 3 or 4 other bands of similar ilk anyway, at least in the United States, since people here are lame and don't go to concerts. PN was marketted as a festival thing, but it never ever felt like one.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
Oh god, if Haken is on this too... I would spend whatever amount of money to go see this.

Having Haken in the lineup would be enough to make me want to go, let alone Transatlantic.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2013, 02:55:20 PM »
Mike Portnoy is like Tick. He is a glutten for punishment by the way he conduct his affairs on the interwebs.

:tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Pinga

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2013, 06:43:21 PM »
I don't know how making a realistic assessment of a situation can be considered as dishing punishment, but all right.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2013, 11:07:12 PM »
Special Encore: QR + Portnoy + Sherinian play DT, classic QR, and classic rock

After the brief feud that resulted from QR's jabroni inferior guitarist telling JP he was gonna give him some pointers, I'd be extremely surprised to see them wanna participate in anything DT-related. On top of this, I doubt they even have the chops to hang with any DT song worth putting in a set list that ain't a simple ballad.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2013, 11:57:06 PM »
prediction:

transatlantic
steven wilson
leprous or beardfish
jolly (or 22newenergymusic, ya right)

or maybe they try to get pain of salvation on the bill after the last fiasco...they recently posted they'll be back in north america next year. would make me a happy panda.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2013, 03:19:54 AM »

After the brief feud that resulted from QR's jabroni inferior guitarist telling JP he was gonna give him some pointers, I'd be extremely surprised to see them wanna participate in anything DT-related. On top of this, I doubt they even have the chops to hang with any DT song worth putting in a set list that ain't a simple ballad.
Well, the only QR people DT had any problems with were Geoff Tate and that guitarist. Since the dude left the band a few years ago, and Geoff was booted out, I think the original members of Queensryche would dig the opportunity.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2013, 03:27:53 AM »
How was it that DT had problem with Geoff Tate? I must have missed it.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2013, 03:31:10 AM »
At least MP had a problem with Tate, don't know about the others.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2013, 03:59:50 AM »

Well, the only QR people DT had any problems with were Geoff Tate and that guitarist. Since the dude left the band a few years ago, and Geoff was booted out, I think the original members of Queensryche would dig the opportunity.

Did not know that. THANKS TO MILENA FOR THE FACTS!

I think one of their (now former) guitarists had tried in some less-than-polite way to give playing tips to JP.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2013, 05:27:47 AM »
MP was the only one who ever spoke about his problem with Geoff Tate, but I am pretty sure 90% of people who have ever spent any time with him in recent years have a problem with Geoff Tate.

THANKS TO MILENA FOR THE FACTS!
Always, bebeh :hat

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2013, 08:05:12 AM »

Agreed.  For something like this, you need a headline act who could sell out the venues they will play all on their own, but be willing to take a little less money to headline the tour. The only "prog" acts (not counting the giants from the 70s who still tour, but would never do this type of tour at this point) who could probably do that are Dream Theater and Steven Wilson or Porcupine Tree.  There is probably no chance DT will do it (take less money so their former drummer can run his festival and make money), and something like that is not something I could see Steven Wilson wanting to do at this point in his career.  Not to mention that Wilson probably has no idea what he will be doing by next summer, and he is too artistic and creative-driven to have his entire year dictated by having to work around a festival schedule that will make him less money than he could make by touring on his own.

This is kind of what I was thinking, too, although I considered Opeth might be big enough to headline.  I don't expect that to happen though.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2013, 09:05:19 AM »
How was it that DT had problem with Geoff Tate? I must have missed it.

Listen to As I Am :D
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline mallorier

• Blissciple
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2013, 09:55:07 AM »

Having Haken in the lineup would be enough to make me want to go, let alone Transatlantic.

This...a million times this!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »

I think one of their (now former) guitarists had tried in some less-than-polite way to give playing tips to JP.

Well, in all fairness, God knows JP needs them.

;)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2013, 01:03:03 PM »
 :rollin

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2013, 04:30:34 PM »

Depends on the venue.  This would work in small theaters.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2013, 06:24:23 AM »

What do you think the first Prog Nation tour largely was in? And that had two bands capable of headlining that size venue in it. If this materializes as a theater tour with no bigger act than TA on it, it's falling flat on its face.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2013, 10:37:10 AM »
And if MP gets Rush to join the bill, you'll be falling flat on your dropped jaws!!!

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2013, 11:31:56 AM »
Don't know why that's in green -- I'd be happy to trip over my dropped jaw if MP successfully got Rush to headline a low-key prog festival tour :lol

Offline philmcson

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »
Of course, but I guess that despite MP's friendship with Neil Peart it won't happen. But if it would, I'd be cracking for hours because of the MP haters hoping he'll never again get to play in front of more than 1000 people  :biggrin:

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »
What are the odds this will be a 3-5 date tour if it's in North America, of all Portnoy's bands/Or even a 1-day or Weekend Festival event?

Transatlantic
Flying Colors
The Winery Dogs
Neal Morse
PSMS

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2013, 10:18:06 PM »

What do you think the first Prog Nation tour largely was in? And that had two bands capable of headlining that size venue in it. If this materializes as a theater tour with no bigger act than TA on it, it's falling flat on its face.

Small community theaters..... not the Paramount or anything like that.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2013, 10:42:26 PM »
My first thought was "Transatlantic headlines, little bands open for them" but Transatlantic's average song length is like 30 minutes at this point.  No way the band would feel a 90 minute set would do the fans justice.  Flying Colors isn't really meant to be prog, so I don't that's too likely either.  I think it would be cool if MP played organizer and got a bunch of good bands to do it.  Bring back ZPZ, they were awesome.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2013, 11:02:17 PM »
I'm not sure either which band MP is in, other than TA, counts as prog. Adrenaline Mob certainly not, Winery Dogs not, Flying Colors not, and PSMS doesn't do originals.
So, if it has TA in it, would that be enough pull to not just have this became a sad shadow of the original tour? The 2009 tour had some big name (DT, Opeth). If TA is the headliner, I don't see they could get anywhere close to the size and impact of the 2009 tour.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."