Author Topic: Lifting Shadows Now Available To Order In Paperback  (Read 35138 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lifting Shadows Now Available To Order In Paperback
« Reply #210 on: October 11, 2013, 06:34:03 AM »
Damn, no email for me :(

Maybe I'll be lucky and it'll just show up today, I'd love to read it over the weekend.

Offline krands85

« Reply #211 on: October 11, 2013, 06:45:13 AM »
Mine arrived this morning  :D

I've wanted to read this since I first heard about it, really looking forward to it  :tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #212 on: October 11, 2013, 08:27:25 AM »
I finally got a response from this company after being nice didn't work. Mine is "in the Que and ready to ship"

Not happy with the way this went. Probably because of this thread. That old mob mentality effected me I guess.

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Nofire

« Reply #213 on: October 11, 2013, 08:41:18 AM »
Just sent them and e-mail asking about the delay. 5 minutes later I got this response:

"Hello Nofire

Thanks for getting in touch. We have had a slight hold up in printing the books however they have arrived in our warehouse and books are now shipping.

We have many orders to get through but can see your order is currently queued to go to the warehouse and is due to be sent to you next week

You will recieve a shipping notification once it the book is sent, apologies for the delay but your book will be with you soon."

At least they haven't forgotten about me, and I must say that the response was quick as hell.

Edit: I placed my order on August 24th.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:47:01 AM by Nofire »
Trapped inside this Octavarium

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: October 11, 2013, 08:50:37 AM »
Just sent them and e-mail asking about the delay. 5 minutes later I got this response:

"Hello Nofire

Thanks for getting in touch. We have had a slight hold up in printing the books however they have arrived in our warehouse and books are now shipping.

We have many orders to get through but can see your order is currently queued to go to the warehouse and is due to be sent to you next week

You will recieve a shipping notification once it the book is sent, apologies for the delay but your book will be with you soon."

At least they haven't forgotten about me, and I must say that the response was quick as hell.

Edit: I placed my order on August 24th.
Same email I got. Took me a couple inquiry's to get the response.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #215 on: October 11, 2013, 08:55:08 AM »
I thought I'd chime in to let people that already have the previous edition know that there are only about 25 new pages covering Mike's departure and ADTOE.

To be fair, Rich didn't even have to update it, but he is nice enough to do so basically for free (since the publisher would have put out a new paperback edition anyways).

The book is great, but I just thought I'd warn those who bought it just for the new chapters. If you don't already have a previous edition (or if you have the first edition, since the Black Clouds chapter plus the two new ones make it worth an upgrade), absolutely buy this book.

You might be amazed what new things you will learn about the band.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #216 on: October 11, 2013, 09:27:58 AM »
25 pages isn't too short a chapter is it? And we knew it was only one chapter added. Thanks for the info!

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #217 on: October 11, 2013, 09:47:19 AM »
25 pages isn't too short a chapter is it? And we knew it was only one chapter added. Thanks for the info!

No, it is a pretty decent length, and I'm happy with it, but I just don't want people to go into it with unrealistic expectations :)
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline JPX

« Reply #218 on: October 11, 2013, 09:58:36 AM »
Ordered mine July 12th, live in Buffalo NY - no email...zip...nada...this is really pathetic service.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2013, 10:23:18 AM »
I thought I'd chime in to let people that already have the previous edition know that there are only about 25 new pages covering Mike's departure and ADTOE.

Thanks for the spoiler.

Jerk
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #220 on: October 11, 2013, 10:38:52 AM »
Yea man that wasn't cool. Just at least don't give away who got the job as the new drummer or we'll all be pissed.  :rollin :rollin

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #221 on: October 11, 2013, 11:19:54 AM »
Wow, you guys didn't know that Mike Mangini left yet? Crazy...

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #222 on: October 11, 2013, 11:26:57 AM »
wut
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #223 on: October 11, 2013, 11:42:36 AM »
wut

Yeah. It just happened like a week ago, I think? Why do you think the book was delayed? Rich had to handwrite a new chapter in every book.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »
Here is the email I just received:

"It's late, we know. We apologise, its been frustrating, you've cursed us, but we are very pleased to say... Lifting Shadows is now shipping and your copy will be with you soon.

Many copies have already gone out and some have already landed on doorsteps around the world.

We have a lot of orders to get through, so if you have not already had notification that your book has shipped, you will receive an email in the next few days to let you know your book is on the way.

Meanwhile if you want to take a look at a few advance copies, check them out on our Facebook page.

Enjoy your book!"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #225 on: October 11, 2013, 03:10:40 PM »
Got mine in the mail

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #226 on: October 11, 2013, 05:41:03 PM »
I got this email too, but it means they are sending all of them, not that especifically mine has been sent. Still waiting. :P
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: October 11, 2013, 08:32:41 PM »
I got the book today. :metal

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #228 on: October 11, 2013, 11:36:08 PM »

Those who have read both the first and second editions from cover to cover will have noticed that the back chapters have been expanded and updated with more detail.  Perhaps the third edition includes even more info on earlier chapters?

Looking forward to my copy.

The 4th confirmation email I received (which mentions "cursing" the publisher) made me think that when the DTF fans speak, someone out there is listening. 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2013, 12:02:17 AM »
I've seen a few posts in here from people whom previously were very dissatisfied with how Rocket 88 handled this situation only to turn the other cheek and say that it's all good now that they've gotten their book in a way that unintentionally implies that it was okay for Rocket 88 to leave us in the dark as completely as they did. While I personally despise the practice of trying to meddle in others' standpoints on matters that aren't directly my business and agree that it generally is most productive to not let things get to you, I just get the feeling that businesses have zero motivation to improve their manner of handling their affairs if people openly post on the internet about how "it's all good now (etc.)" simply because it's a matter the consumer no longer has to be concerned with.

Seeing as how the publisher was definitely aware of the internet shit storm that was created by their refusal to be up front with us, they obviously knew that people were annoyed/pissed/whatever about how it was going down throughout the last month-plus yet they never bothered to address us in any way until they could just hush us up with confirmation emails. Basically, they couldn't handle the heat at times when they wouldn't have been able to provide us with an answer we wanted to hear and strung us along leaving us to wonder if we'd been ripped off.

I'm not saying to flame them or go talking shit about them all over the internet because sour grapes seldom yield progress but I also think that if they were aware of how pissed people were with them that they were probably either viewing this forum, FB, or some other internet outlet or had minions of theirs reporting back to them. If they were concerned about their reputation enough to vaguely address it in their "apologising" email then, chances are, they still were looking at their Lifting Shadows FB page, DTF, etc. after their recent email campaign in order to see how their PR was holding up in the aftermath of all of this. So now if/when they see this page of this thread, they see that most folks cave in and let bygones be bygones simply because they have a book in hand and Rocket 88 feels validated in the way they handled this because all it takes to reverse bad PR is a few emails and eventually delivering the goods despite being badly MIA.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #230 on: October 12, 2013, 12:24:50 AM »
I never had an issue with the delay in the first place, and thus didn't complain about it.

Most dissatisfied customers are likely to become satiated when a company reacts to a complaint and tries to fix it.  I found this to be a common reflex in my bygone years of customer service jobs.  Its refreshing when a company has the sense to openly admit it goofed up.

I feel that Rocket 88 recognized its error in poor communication, and has addressed it to best of its abilitiy.  If this means that folks wont be so trusting in preordering a 4th edition (should that day come), then that is the ultimate penalty of this mishap.   

As a sideline observer, I never got the sense that anyone was "caving in."   The issue is getting resolved, what more can they ask for?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:30:55 AM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #231 on: October 12, 2013, 06:45:12 AM »
The Mob Rules!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #232 on: October 12, 2013, 09:03:56 AM »

"It's late, we know. We apologise, its been frustrating, you've cursed us, but we are very pleased to say... Lifting Shadows is now shipping and your copy will be with you soon.

Many copies have already gone out and some have already landed on doorsteps around the world.

We have a lot of orders to get through, so if you have not already had notification that your book has shipped, you will receive an email in the next few days to let you know your book is on the way.

Meanwhile if you want to take a look at a few advance copies, check them out on our Facebook page.

Enjoy your book!"
I got the same email!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #233 on: October 12, 2013, 01:52:06 PM »
I've seen a few posts in here from people whom previously were very dissatisfied with how Rocket 88 handled this situation only to turn the other cheek and say that it's all good now that they've gotten their book in a way that unintentionally implies that it was okay for Rocket 88 to leave us in the dark as completely as they did. While I personally despise the practice of trying to meddle in others' standpoints on matters that aren't directly my business and agree that it generally is most productive to not let things get to you, I just get the feeling that businesses have zero motivation to improve their manner of handling their affairs if people openly post on the internet about how "it's all good now (etc.)" simply because it's a matter the consumer no longer has to be concerned with.

Seeing as how the publisher was definitely aware of the internet shit storm that was created by their refusal to be up front with us, they obviously knew that people were annoyed/pissed/whatever about how it was going down throughout the last month-plus yet they never bothered to address us in any way until they could just hush us up with confirmation emails. Basically, they couldn't handle the heat at times when they wouldn't have been able to provide us with an answer we wanted to hear and strung us along leaving us to wonder if we'd been ripped off.

I'm not saying to flame them or go talking shit about them all over the internet because sour grapes seldom yield progress but I also think that if they were aware of how pissed people were with them that they were probably either viewing this forum, FB, or some other internet outlet or had minions of theirs reporting back to them. If they were concerned about their reputation enough to vaguely address it in their "apologising" email then, chances are, they still were looking at their Lifting Shadows FB page, DTF, etc. after their recent email campaign in order to see how their PR was holding up in the aftermath of all of this. So now if/when they see this page of this thread, they see that most folks cave in and let bygones be bygones simply because they have a book in hand and Rocket 88 feels validated in the way they handled this because all it takes to reverse bad PR is a few emails and eventually delivering the goods despite being badly MIA.

It's battered wife syndrome!  He treats her like crap most of the time, but all it takes is one night of sending flowers and taking her out to dinner and she loves him unconditionally again.  In this instance, Rocket 88 finally sending the book is akin to sending flowers and taking each fan out to dinner. :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: October 12, 2013, 06:26:44 PM »

Enjoy your book!"
I got the same email!

Same here, now if I would only get the book.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #235 on: October 12, 2013, 07:16:19 PM »
Yay!! I got my book earlier today

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #236 on: October 13, 2013, 04:07:48 AM »
Hi all

I've just got back from over 2 weeks away to see all of this. I had zero mobile phone signal, no other phones or internet access where we were. I'll find out exactly what is going on tomorrow with the publishers and will update you as to where and when books were / are being shipped etc ...

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #237 on: October 13, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »
Got the book!

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #238 on: October 13, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »
Rich, your book is already changing my life on the 17th page. You rock!  :metal

Offline adastra

« Reply #239 on: October 13, 2013, 11:40:58 PM »
Yeah! ^_^  Got my email!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #240 on: October 14, 2013, 04:50:26 AM »
Let me know when someone in Europe gets it.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #241 on: October 14, 2013, 01:08:58 PM »
Hi

Spoke to them today, and all the books are in the process of being sent out. Apologies for the delay - they always indicated a publication date of September, so the fact that it's now October is a fair criticism.
For the record, I don't think that they keep tabs on DTF or the LS Facebook page - that is my job and as I have been away for the best part of three weeks, they won't have been aware.

Anyway, sincere apologies from myself and I hope you enjoy reading the book once you receive it.

Rich

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #242 on: October 14, 2013, 08:16:23 PM »
Rich, I DEVOURED the book in 48 hours. SO good.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #243 on: October 14, 2013, 08:59:31 PM »
Rich, I DEVOURED the book in 48 hours. SO good.

Informative, yet fibrous.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #244 on: October 15, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »
About to pick one up. :)