Author Topic: DT doing another cover concert?  (Read 5173 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: DT doing another cover concert?
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2013, 07:48:05 AM »
Gotta admit I get a little tingle in the loins at the thought of that.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2013, 01:46:32 AM »
Yes, like I've said before - one of my dreams is to hear DT cover The Gates Of Delirium and And You And I..
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »
I'm going to guess that whoever put that up there doesn't know Mike left the band.

Offline TTD

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2013, 04:30:24 PM »
The tradition isn't worth continuing, IMO. If they ever do continue it, I hope they announce which show they're playing a cover album at beforehand, so I can make sure I don't waste money on buying a ticket if it happens to be in my area.
I'm really going to have to agree with this.  The whole concept is pretty cool and I'm sure some people like it.  But, if I was going to a DT concert, I'd want to hear DT songs.

And you would. I just checked the Osaka performance of TNOTB (the only cover album I have the full show of to check), and they still got 2 entire hours of Dream Theater, as well as the cover album. Hardly something to complain about.

I saw DT do TNOTB in London, and I had to ask my neighbour in the audience which album they were doing. I'd never heard TNOTB prior to that, and the identity of the album had been kept a secret until the night of the gig.

So, from my point of view, even with plenty of DT elsewhere in the show, there was a big 45-55 min hole in the show where I didn't know any of it.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 04:58:35 PM »
I'd also add that Dream Theater are my favourite band bar none, and I don't even know if I'd want to see them perform any entire Dream Theater album start to finish. The albums they cover are doubtless more important, significant and acclaimed than Images and Words, but if I've chosen to come to a DT gig it's cos I place more value on their own music than I do on other bands'.

Course, it's a very, very easy fix to avoid it, given that they play an entire start-to-finish gig at the same venue the day before, so I'd never suggest that cos I don't like the second-night covers they should ditch them. It's a really neat thing, that a lot of people enjoy, and those nights do feel fairly special. If you buy the ticket, you know what you're getting into, and presumably you know you're the kind of person who might like that kind of thing. But an hour is a long time to be listening to some music by a band you might not even like.

Offline TTD

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2013, 05:19:10 PM »
If they hadn't been so secretive about which cover album it was, I could've done my homework, and given Iron Maiden's version a listen first .... But no.

Offline suedje

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 07:29:45 AM »
The tradition isn't worth continuing, IMO. If they ever do continue it, I hope they announce which show they're playing a cover album at beforehand, so I can make sure I don't waste money on buying a ticket if it happens to be in my area.

The "tradition" was to do a cover show, when the tour was "An evening with Dream Theater" and they performed 2 nights in a row in the same city.  Looking at the tour dates, and if they continue this tradition, there will be no cover show in this European tour, but maybe these dates are not complete yet. And when they do this, you can decide if you want to attend a second show in a city or not.
I went to both nights in Amsterdam, when they covered Dark Side Of The Moon, and both nights were fantastic. The cover album was not known, and how they revealed the album, with the different intro's was amazing.