Author Topic: 2014-02-17 - Heineken Music Hall - Amsterdam, NED  (Read 12186 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: 2014-02-17 - Heineken Music Hall - Amsterdam, NED
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »
Hey eosforum, where are you studying? I'm studying in Utrecht, and Elite from this forum is as well, we actually live 50 m away from each other :p So are you actually attending both shows?

Offline eosforum

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
I study in Enschede close to the eastern border with Germany. I think I will actually. Dusseldorf is a given since I have a friend there to stay the night. As for Amsterdam...I've never been there so what better occasion than a DT show?

Offline Onno

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 03:30:04 PM »
Cool, a friend of mine is studying there too. What are you studying?

Offline eosforum

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 04:15:52 PM »
I'll PM you  :tup

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »
I study in Enschede close to the eastern border with Germany. I think I will actually. Dusseldorf is a given since I have a friend there to stay the night. As for Amsterdam...I've never been there so what better occasion than a DT show?

I've played like 10 shows with my band in Enschede last year. They seem to like us very much over there. Maybe you've seen us? We're called That's What She Said, or TWSS.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline eosforum

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 12:27:36 PM »
Nah, sorry. I've only been here a few months ;)

Offline juzzwuzzz

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2014, 01:35:34 AM »
Im going too. Lucky enough this year is closer for me then last year. Im living in Den Haag. Last year i took some great people  from rotterdam with me in my car :) was great to not have to drive alone.

This year i think it will be me myself and i in the car to the concert and back.... but i dont mind..... its great to see them live again. and at the concert you never feel alone with al the DT fans around XD

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2014, 06:48:34 AM »
IŽm from Rotterdam as well, but IŽll be traveling by train, most likely.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance youŽre always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Thierry

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »
I live close to Doetinchem, I'll be going to Amsterdam by car and the day after to Dusseldorf.

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2014, 10:39:40 AM »
13 more days!! Anyone else have VIP tickets??

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2014, 07:35:03 PM »
pictures/videos please????

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2014, 11:00:43 PM »

From the future?

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2014, 02:09:41 AM »

From the future?
Sorry, my mistake  :facepalm: I remember it as: 3 UK shows then 1 in Amsterdam without gap but there was break.  BTW Myung's super powers can help us getting pictures from the future. :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2014, 06:14:53 AM »
So, it's tonight! Still don't have my tickets and I'm a little short of money, but I'm very much considering going anyway, especially since I have to miss the Transatlantic shows in March :(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2014, 06:16:18 AM »
Is this show seated btw? The tickets do not have any seating numbers, so I'm guessing not? Otherwise I know I have to be really early  ;D (I live in Amsterdam, so that should not be a problem).

Offline suedje

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2014, 06:53:08 AM »
It's free standing / seating, what you prefer.
5 hours to go......

Offline Onno

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2014, 06:59:59 AM »
So, it's tonight! Still don't have my tickets and I'm a little short of money, but I'm very much considering going anyway, especially since I have to miss the Transatlantic shows in March :(
Cool that you're going, but why no Transatlantic? :(

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2014, 08:26:25 AM »
Cool that you're going, but why no Transatlantic? :(

I won't be there tonight, matter of making choices, financially, but I will be there at the TA gig, second night. Will I see you guys there?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2014, 10:52:48 AM »
Second night's sold out already, so if I'm going, it will be the Thursday, were it not do that I have a gig planned with my shitty coverband. I'd rather see Transatlantic, to be honest.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Flurokazoo

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2014, 06:23:58 PM »
Wow. What an evening. The band was in optimal form tonight, and especially James seemed to really enjoy itself. Also, the crowd was much much more active and enthusiastic than it was 2 years ago in Zwolle. Yeah, amazing night. Hopefully we'll see some nice pics and vids soon.

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2014, 07:43:52 PM »
Wow. What an evening. The band was in optimal form tonight, and especially James seemed to really enjoy itself. Also, the crowd was much much more active and enthusiastic than it was 2 years ago in Zwolle. Yeah, amazing night. Hopefully we'll see some nice pics and vids soon.
I knew Wembley & Amsterdam shows gonna be perfect..... :tup

Offline Thierry

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 12:57:08 AM »
For me not their best show. I enjoyed the show in Zwolle 2 years back more. I wasn't familiar with a lot of songs in the 2nd act. The videos and stuff where great.

I wanted an eargasm when they played Illumnation Theory unfortunately James didn't sing a lot of the high notes which pissed me off.

I've never seen Petrucci so sloppy (a few bum notes especially on Along For The Ride).

For the audience around me near the soundboard, fuck you. If you want to discuss your week go to a bar or pub. A concert is to enjoy and not to talk all the way during it.
Fucking drunks and cokeheads.

Hopefully the audience tonight is more respectful in Germany :).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:07:47 AM by Thierry »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 01:48:17 AM »
Well, for me this is way, way better than Zwolle two years ago! That concert was actually kind of a dissapointment in regards of the setlist, atmosphere and band performance to me (Rudess did not even bother playing the keytar and looked bored at times, James performed well but without enhousiasm, Myung was a ghost and even more in the background than usual and to me the whole band seemed to play like it was just their job although they sounded pretty good. Only Mangini stood out to me in Zwolle).

Yes Petrucci did make some mistakes and Labrie lowered some notes (and, as usual, went off key at times). But overall, they nailed 99.9% of the concert and in a way that was vastly superior to Zwolle for me. It was not like Zwolle was spotless either. Labrie sounded more energetic and utilized way more of his vocal capabilities, Myung did some badass stuff and took a clear stage role at times (DOE  :metal), Rudess was absolutely fantastic and used all his resources on stage, Mangini made some of the older songs his own in a very stylish way and Petrucci was awesome as always. Oh, and that stage design was absolutely fantastic. And the use of the screen is the best I have seen so far in a concert. And it all showed, as the audience was way more in to it than in Zwolle (which was the worst audience I ever had at a concert, and I come from Zeeland which is famous for that. To me, it seemed because the band was not so much in to it).

Please make a proper DVD/BR of this tour DT. Aside from Labrie being better than the few year before it, I thought LALP was pretty crappy.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2014, 02:38:16 AM »

Am I hallucinating or that's Itchy in the first row?  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Thierry

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2014, 03:21:33 AM »
My audio recording of this show is up for download at dimeadozen.org

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2014, 05:25:36 AM »
Awesome show! What a fantastic screen they are using this tour.... The sound was superb, they level of playing ridiculous.

And they play fucking Space Dye Vest....I can die now.   :omg:

What a set!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance youŽre always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2014, 06:57:59 AM »
Best concert ever!!!!

Fas + Enemy Inside (https://youtu.be/i4YUIyB_4sM)

The Mirror + Lie (https://youtu.be/8xPj6XGgL4Q)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2014, 09:04:22 AM »
It was amazing indeed! By far the best DT show I have ever seen, I'm really glad I went. Also, I think I can see myself in that picture Marco posted :)

I wasn't familiar with a lot of songs in the 2nd act.

What the hell, that was the second half of Awake they played, the best part for me (apart from Space-Dye Vest, which I found disappointing live).
Squ

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2014, 09:51:50 AM »
My audio recording of this show is up for download at dimeadozen.org
Thanks for taping and sharing it!   :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Onno

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2014, 10:27:53 AM »
It was amazing indeed! By far the best DT show I have ever seen, I'm really glad I went. Also, I think I can see myself in that picture Marco posted :)

I wasn't familiar with a lot of songs in the 2nd act.

What the hell, that was the second half of Awake they played, the best part for me (apart from Space-Dye Vest, which I found disappointing live).
I really liked Space-Dye Vest. And I second Rich on the 2nd act, I thought it was way better than the first due to the song choices.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2014, 12:56:11 PM »
Good Lord, still enjoying it  :heart Best concert I've ever had. And it's been confirmed for me that James is actually amazing live.

Offline drumtheater

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »
Hey guys! I came all the way from India to see this show-- my first time seeing them ever! (Since DT never come here >:( although JM came over on a Yamaha thing in 2005 and JR was teaching for a semester at a music school here)

Frickin' loved it! It was so nice to be around other fans! And meeting the band (VIP package) was just unbelievable; a dream come true. Was right up in front, first row from the stage... loved the concert! The band sounds amazing live. For the first time, I could really hear JM's bass... and MM's live drum sound is ten times better than on the recordings! During the show I also finally made my peace with MM as the new drummer in the band... it's been a while I know ;D

What a night it was for me. If I had a complaint, it would be that the sound was very loud, especially in the second half... painfully so. But that's partly my fault because I carried my earplugs all the way to Amsterdam, and then left them in the hotel room.

Looking forward to seeing the meet & greet pics asap!!

(Btw... first post on DTF  :metal)

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2014, 11:33:16 AM »
Hey guys! I came all the way from India to see this show-- my first time seeing them ever! (Since DT never come here >:( although JM came over on a Yamaha thing in 2005 and JR was teaching for a semester at a music school here)

Frickin' loved it! It was so nice to be around other fans! And meeting the band (VIP package) was just unbelievable; a dream come true. Was right up in front, first row from the stage... loved the concert! The band sounds amazing live. For the first time, I could really hear JM's bass... and MM's live drum sound is ten times better than on the recordings! During the show I also finally made my peace with MM as the new drummer in the band... it's been a while I know ;D

What a night it was for me. If I had a complaint, it would be that the sound was very loud, especially in the second half... painfully so. But that's partly my fault because I carried my earplugs all the way to Amsterdam, and then left them in the hotel room.

Looking forward to seeing the meet & greet pics asap!!

(Btw... first post on DTF  :metal)
I wish i was there too. I'm glad you enjoyed. Btw welcome to DTF.  :)