Author Topic: 2014-02-13 - O2 Apollo - Manchester, UK  (Read 22388 times)

Offline the-glass-prison

Re: 2014-02-13 - O2 Apollo - Manchester, UK
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2014, 05:32:36 AM »
Well worth the trip from Glasgow. Just home.  Labrie sounded at the top of his game. Come to Glasgow soon! 

Offline weezul

« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2014, 05:39:01 AM »
Really great gig! I hadn't realy listened to the new album much at all, but it certainly sounds great when they play it live. I think playing songs like Dance of Eternity to a metronome is making it sound worse. Just at times where it goes mental on the drums, it seems to be less tight. Regardless, that's me being mega picky.

Sound was great, we were sat one row from the sound desk so perfect, nice and loud sound. I do miss the days of standing, i still think progressive nation was such a better atmosphere, everyone jumping and going mental. This was a nice change of pace, but most people just stood for the whole gig anyway.

The production is definitely on another level, I don't mind the set staying the same, I never go to multiple gigs of each leg anyway! It makes for a better show
https://www.liamgaughan.com
--Production--Performance--Tuition--

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2014, 05:52:38 AM »
I was sat next to a rather large guy who was reading a newspaper before the gig started then by the Shattered Fortress appeared to be fast asleep. Don't know how he managed that.
A BIG well done to the guys in the forum that have contributed to the videos, they where excellent and added to the enjoyment.

Wow, you must have been about 2 rows in front of me! I saw the guy with the paper haha.

were you around row J seat 8 or something?

Offline John94

« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2014, 07:33:39 AM »
Good night, good performance all around. It was definitely louder than past occasions, I think a few people left during the first set due to the noise. Guy behind me stayed sitting down so like a good guy I stayed sat down for a while, then he left so I was back up.

Was going to ask if there was any news on bootlegs, seeing as the two shows before at Manchester were recorded. I can't seem to log in to dimeadozen to check. If anyone has any news/updates then please share as I would like to add this to my personal collection of DT shows I have been told -- plus I had to leave after IT to catch my bus as I had uni classes today.

I see you are working on the video FrostbiteZ, thanks a lot. I'll be sure to check that out when it is completed!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2014, 07:49:08 AM »
It's just been upped! (I checked five minutes ago and it wasn't there :O )

https://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=482446
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline John94

« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2014, 07:54:20 AM »
Thanks a lot wasteland! I knew if anyone knew, it would be you! Now to try and see if I can reset my password.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2014, 08:29:41 AM »
I was sat next to a rather large guy who was reading a newspaper before the gig started then by the Shattered Fortress appeared to be fast asleep. Don't know how he managed that.
A BIG well done to the guys in the forum that have contributed to the videos, they where excellent and added to the enjoyment.

Wow, you must have been about 2 rows in front of me! I saw the guy with the paper haha.

were you around row J seat 8 or something?

Yes I was, with my wife who seemed to enjoy it more than Leeds in 2011.
Can't believe someone managed to sleep with the volume in the hall last night.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2014, 08:33:36 AM »
Can't believe someone managed to sleep with the volume in the hall last night.

I once managed to take a nap in the middle of the most crowded square in the city I live, holding an umbrella for me and my friends which in the meanwhile went on talking.  :rollin
- Marco

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2014, 09:52:33 AM »

Any chance of this being posted on the hub? Managed to get my ratio blown when dreamrafa posted an Italian DVD a couple of years ago then they banned it with my ratio knackered.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2014, 10:38:41 AM »
I was pretty sceptical about this gig after not liking the latest record at all (and not being very impressed with ADToE either) but as I hadn't found anyone to buy the ticket a couple of weeks back I decided to buy train tickets and go after all and, to be fair, it was the best DT show I've seen to date. Thought JLB was excellent and some of the visuals were pretty good too. Nice chunk of Awake. Even Illumination Theory was passable.

Have to say though, to all those of you saying how loud it was... you really need to go and see a Swans gig or something!
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2014, 10:55:04 AM »
Have to say though, to all those of you saying how loud it was... you really need to go and see a Swans gig or something!

I am getting older now, so my ears are just one part that is beginning to fail, I'd be quicker telling you what still works properly.
I got to see Motorhead at Hull City Hall back in the 1980's, it was that loud that if you go back into the City Hall now I'm sure you can still hear the Ace of Spades still echoing around the hall.

Offline twanky

« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »

Any chance of this being posted on the hub? Managed to get my ratio blown when dreamrafa posted an Italian DVD a couple of years ago then they banned it with my ratio knackered.

I will put my version up ASAP. I've done the 1st set  :tup

The other mentioned version, i only have 50% so far
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2014, 11:42:19 AM »

Thanks twanky, looking forward to it. :metal

I will put my version up ASAP. I've done the 1st set  :tup

The other mentioned version, i only have 50% so far

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2014, 12:28:09 PM »
Great gig. Certainly better than last time out. I loved the setlist and would rather have a dvd of this show than last tour. JLB was awesome. Easily surpassed my high expectations.
And I didn't think it was loud, though I was a good way back, just behind and right of the mixxing desk. I saw ManOwaR years ago, now that was loud. I couldn't hear properly for about a week afterwards. They were world record holders for loudest gig at that time.

Offline krands85

« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2014, 02:02:32 PM »
I can't say how loud it was, since my earplugs protected me from that  :P But the sound seemed pretty good for the most part, though bassier moments were occasionally a bit strong, even with the low notes on JR's iPad. Seemed to be some technical issues a couple of times (dunno if that's why the show started almost 30min late), but they didn't detract from anything.

The crowd weren't particularly animated, but it was still a massive improvement on the Glasgow gig last time. At least here, nearly everyone on the floor was standing! I'd love to see DT at a standing gig in Italy or South America somewhere, that would be a great experience. The setlist wasn't to my taste unfortunately, but it was still great fun and the guys seemed to be having a blast on stage. The videos were really cool and the intermission Youtube compilation was hilarious  :lol though I struggled to take my eyes off the band to watch the vids properly most of the time!

Next time I see them, I really need to get a spot in the centre, near the front!

I took a few minutes worth of video of TEI, ToT and IT, but there's no point uploading it since Frostbitez vids will be far superior  :lol

Oh and James was brilliant, this must be an incredibly demanding tour for him, but he was great  :tup
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:26:42 PM by krands85 »
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »

I think GasparXR really wants the show - look at how many times he's leaching off the torrent.  :lol
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline John94

« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2014, 03:10:07 PM »
Mines just finished. 6 hours later, good job I had no plans for tonight  :lol -- Seeding for a bit tonight then again tomorrow if anyone needs it.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2014, 03:33:13 PM »
Very interesting that they changed the ending to The Shattered Fortress. MM still plays the rhythm, but the second time he played it on the snare and guitar/bass joined. Was this the first show they did this at?

Offline twanky

« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2014, 04:22:09 PM »
On it's way Stef
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2014, 04:24:48 PM »

I think GasparXR really wants the show - look at how many times he's leaching off the torrent.  :lol

Wait, what? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2014, 05:44:25 PM »

Wait, what? :lol
While I was downloading the show, I looked to see who all the leachers were, and your name showed up like 20 times, all downloading 0mb. I thought it was hilarious!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2014, 05:58:53 PM »
Haha, that's really strange. I'm almost done listening to the show now, on Finally Free. James was really on fire for the most part, but I thought he kind of fell short for Along for the Ride and Lie. The Pursuit of Truth is still not as good as the album but it keeps getting a little better every night.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2014, 04:29:28 AM »
On it's way Stef

Just burning to disc's this will be on in my car for the next few weeks.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2014, 01:43:02 PM »
I’m back, folks!  :biggrin:

On Thursday night, I attended this, my 8th Dream Theater show... And it was quite possibly the best one I've ever been too. And my goodness, am I glad I decided to take a break from the forums and not look at any spoilers!

I just want to share my thoughts on the show... doubtful that anyone looking at this thread is trying particular hard to avoid spoilers, but might as well warn about them anyway  :biggrin:

Everything about the show was just spot on. The instrumentalists, the vocals, the lighting, the video show... even the song choices and the way the setlist was constructed was pretty much perfect for me.

Where to begin? Well, the beginning I guess. I was expecting to be pretty damn pumped when FAS came on over the speakers, but the way in which they presented it was something I didn’t see coming. An orchestral arrangement (or at least, without drums or guitars), and that opening projection was just about the most epic thing I’ve ever seen at a DT concert. I cannot express in words how excited I got to suddenly see the WDADU man brought to life on the screen, and how all the remaining album covers came to life and interconnected from there.

Unfortunately, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that they were going to open with TEI. Talk about anti-climactic. I don’t hate the song, but it certainly doesn’t get me particularly excited in any way. Anyway, it doesn’t matter... things only continued to get more and more awesome from then on...

TSF was really fucking unexpected. Seriously, if you’d asked me to guess which song they would play second, considering their extensive back catalogue, this would have been among the last couple of songs I would have thought of. It came completely out of context, with none of the other twelve step songs preceding it, and without MP behind the drums. Something didn’t quite feel right about it... but I am glad that I got to see that song live.

OTBOA. Again, don’t really care for it. Moving on.

The Looking Glass came next. Up until this point, I’ve never been too crazy about the new album as a whole, but this is just one of those songs that really makes me appreciate the slightly different direction Dream Theater has been heading in. It sounded awesome and I had a great time singing along at the chorus.

Then... I pretty much died and went to heaven. Trial of Tears.
OH. MY. GOD!!
I cannot express in words how much I fucking love everything about this song. Especially in the last 6 months or so, I’ve just been going crazy for it and listening to it whenever the mood takes me. Of all the songs they could have picked, I was ecstatic when I heard those opening guitar notes and that little wood block roll!

Seriously, they could have ended the show after that song and I would have been happy that I got my money’s worth. But no, they continued to be fucking awesome and played EM with a new cartoon animation that as always, was delightful fun to watch. On the one hand, it seems a little strange to have something like that going on during such a complex and technical piece of music, as if taking attention away from the players, but it’s an incredibly creative way of keeping the audience involved and I appreciated it a lot. The drum solo didn’t go on too long, either. It was just right. :)

And, yeah. They closed the set with AFTR followed by BAI. Another song that I’m not crazy about, followed by one they played for the last time I came out to see them. Still, this is DT - even their “ok” songs are still pretty awesome... :D

How awesome it was of them to actually have something going on during the intermission. And it just goes to show how well these guys know their audience. I can pretty much guarantee that most people in the audience were familiar with some of or all of those videos, but to see them played back on a big screen, having been specially picked by the band was just unbelievably awesome. And the whole thing segued really nicely back into the action...

THE MIRROR. Oh my god... another song that I had always wanted to see live, yet had always eluded me up to this point. And they followed it up with Lie, of course. Two incredibly awesome songs I had always wanted to see live since the first time. But the awesomeness didn’t end there. The announcement that they were going to play a few more songs from Awake to celebrate it’s 20th anniversary, as well as give some attention to SFAM - wow, that really was the moment. I turned to my best mate who was with me and exchanged a knowing look, realising that this was going to a gig I would never forget.

From there on out, I guess it’s pretty much self-explanatory. But what was really freaky to me was how often it felt like the guys were reading my mind and figuring out which songs from the albums would make me the most happy. They played the entire second half of the Awake album, which I prefer massively over the first. Illumination Theory was incredibly powerful, as expected. Right before the encore, I discussed with my mate what songs we wanted them to encore with, and I said I would love Overture/Strange, and that’s exactly what they did. Only they didn’t stop there. They then launched into TDoE, which frankly I don’t think I could ever tire of seeing life. I was then hoping they would skip over OLT/TSCO and go into Finally Free, because a) they did exactly that in 2009 at this same venue, and b) TSCO has been played to death over the last few years. I didn’t think they actually would comply with my unspoken wish... but they did. And I got possibly the biggest chills of the evening towards the end of this last song. What a perfect ending to an incredible show.

I’d like to round things off with some very awesome numbers. Of the 18 songs they played, only 5 of them I had seen live prior to this gig. Of the remaining 13, only 6 of them were from the new album. And I’ve been to see DT 8 times now. All these statistics combine to make one incredibly awesome fact - these guys never cease to keep things fresh and exciting enough for me to want to keep coming back again and again. :D

“Awesome” tally: 10

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2014, 07:47:50 AM »
Sweating here. My train got cancelled. On next one and just leaving glasgow now. Please get me to this gig!
Good luck man. The 8.12am, 10.08am and 12.12pm Edinburgh to Manchester trains have all been cancelled.  :-\ Mine is the next one at 2.16pm, fingers crossed.

Trains suck. 

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2014, 03:47:18 PM »
Great gig. Big difference between their opening show in Porto and this one. You can really tell that they are tuned in now

Illumination theory from yesterdays show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IozbFEV-rPM

Nicely shot video. You werent zoom happy and you kept the band in the shot most of the time. Steady hand too. And thanks for not showing the video screen except for the middle section. Good job!
"You know how you get to Carnegie Hall don't ya? Practice!"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2014, 03:57:28 PM »
Great gig. Big difference between their opening show in Porto and this one. You can really tell that they are tuned in now

Illumination theory from yesterdays show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IozbFEV-rPM

Nicely shot video. You werent zoom happy and you kept the band in the shot most of the time. Steady hand too. And thanks for not showing the video screen except for the middle section. Good job!

You are talking to a professional video bootleger, show some respect :lol
- Marco

Offline ProgSphere

« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2014, 12:15:28 AM »
Here's Prog Sphere's report of the Manchester show (including photo gallery):

https://www.prog-sphere.com/reviews/live-reports/dream-theater-manchester-apollo-13-02-2014/

Offline John94

« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2014, 11:29:28 AM »
Good review, a lot better than the Guardian review that caught my attention.

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2014, 01:11:46 PM »
Great gig. Big difference between their opening s how in Porto and this one. You can really tell that they are tuned in now

I'm so glad that you liked it  ;)
I record for my own pleasure and not for someone else, but if people are interested in my records I'm more than happy to share them.
I don't necessarily have the whole band in the shot the whole time or the videoscreen and yes I'm aware that my hand is not that steady

@Wasteland
Thx for your support :tup  I'm more a happy amateur than at professional  :)
Right now I'm 2 hours from home and will start uploading my recordings from Manchester and Wembley as soon as possible

@ kevinpwrs
Let me know if you are interested in the recording ;)

Offline Thierry

« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2014, 02:15:12 AM »
Great gig. Big difference between their opening s how in Porto and this one. You can really tell that they are tuned in now

I record for my own pleasure and not for someone else, but if people are interested in my records I'm more than happy to share them.
I don't necessarily have the whole band in the shot the whole time or the videoscreen and yes I'm aware that my hand is not that steady

@Wasteland
Right now I'm 2 hours from home and will start uploading my recordings from Manchester and Wembley as soon as possible

@ kevinpwrs

If you want you can always send the master files to me. I can sync them up with the audio available on Dime and author it as DVD and or blu-ray. Just let me know, I'm happy to do it :).

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2014, 04:24:13 AM »

@Wasteland

@ kevinpwrs

If you want you can always send the master files to me. I can sync them up with the audio available on Dime and author it as DVD and or blu-ray. Just let me know, I'm happy to do it :).

I will post the link for the files in this thread once they have all been uploaded for everbody who should be interested :)

Offline John94

« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2014, 12:50:04 PM »
Great stuff, I am definitely interested!

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2014, 03:42:25 PM »

@Wasteland

@ kevinpwrs

I will post the link for the files in this thread once they have all been uploaded for everbody who should be interested :)

Hey Frost, did you manage to film the whole Manchester gig?

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2014, 02:02:02 AM »

Hey Frost, did you manage to film the whole Manchester gig?

Yes I got the whole show (except for intermission) and I'm still uploading them to Mediafire. There is 30 gb of video so it take some time to get it all up. Should be  up within 24 hours