Author Topic: 2014-02-24 - Icehall - Helsinki, FIN  (Read 14403 times)

Offline weirdo

Re: 2014-02-24 - Icehall - Helsinki, FIN
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2014, 08:38:21 AM »
We also got to the merchandise area before anyone else, and really the coolest thing was to get to the venue before the others. We got some really nice places from the first row, and in my opinion it was really easy to stand there for the whole gig. So, if you're planning to do the Meet & Greet and are thinking whether to take a standing ticket or a seated place, I'd definitely recommend the standing option.  :tup

Both times I've been in the M&G, we've gone straight for the middle of the floor just in front of the mixing desk, while everyone else lines up right along the front barricade and gives us weird looks. :lol

Well I would give you a weird look too, why on earth would you do that?   ;D

Better mix, better volume, better view of the overall stage, not getting crushed (which we would have, because everyone rushed the stage as soon as DT came on). Take your pick!

Yeah... Makes sense. I'm not too fond of getting crushed by crowds either

Offline Fisi

« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2014, 08:46:35 AM »
Yeah, and the cool thing is that with the Meet & Greet VIP you're pretty much free to choose wherever you want to be for the show.  :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2014, 09:06:56 AM »
I'll post my own report
And here it is:

My friend and I had seats in F1, which was in the upper part of the venue - the sea of fists in the standing area looked pretty epic from there! The view to the stage was way better than I had expected, although the PA speakers partially blocked the screen much to our annoyment. As a result you couldn't see James' face when he was shown on the screen, and it was a bit hard to follow the animation during Enigma Machine. Speaking of the projections, the intro video was absolutely amazing :hefdaddy Great job, Blob! :tup The sound was pretty good and balanced - maybe the bass could've been a tad louder, but MM's drum sound was way better than on either of the albums he's played on.

The first set was pretty awesome (Trial of Tears and BAI - pure magic!), but afterwards it felt like a mere warm-up compared to the second set, which was absolute killer. The Awake portion was the highlight of the show for me and SDV is my favorite DT song, so hearing it was the most emotional moment. No manly tears were shed, but my heart was beating faster than during any other song! Having read threads for other shows, I knew James would sing the last part an octave higher and JP would play a solo, but I hadn't watched any live videos so I had no idea how it would turn out. The studio version is sacred to me, but the changes were acceptable and didn't ruin the feel of the song. The Mirror and Lie kicked ass, Lifting Shadows was a nice breather (I saw a lonely lighter in the crowd during this one :lol) and Scarred sounded majestic. I haven't been able to fully get into Illumination Theory on CD and I still find it disjointed, but hearing it live made me appreciate it more - the riffing in the first 2 movements rocked and Surrender, Trust & Passion was a great closure.

The SFAM encore was a cherry on the top of the delicious cake: Overture 1928 and Strange Deja Vu got people pumped up again, TDOE was a lot of fun and Finally Free was a beautiful ending to the show. The ragtime bit in TDOE was the moment my friend had waited for :D The lighting was pretty cool and matched the crazy nature of the song.

The whole band was in top form and the playing was really tight - static setlists are not so bad ;) James sounded great throughout the show, with the exception of the first half of Strange Deja Vu, where he was slightly off-key at times. Also, JP was definitely singing on most songs, not just lip-syncing! Of course there were some piped-in parts like in The Mirror, but for the most part it was live. BTW, can anyone who was closer to the stage tell if people were actually singing along to the choir part in OTBOA? I thought it was the audience, although it might've been just a keyboard patch.

All in all, this was an evening to remember and probably the best concert I've ever attended. I really want to see DT again, although I'm worried they won't be able to live up to the ridiculously high standard set by this show.

Offline Fisi

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2014, 09:14:35 AM »
BTW, can anyone who was closer to the stage tell if people were actually singing along to the choir part in OTBOA?
Yes.  :)

Nice report btw.  :tup

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2014, 09:20:33 AM »
BTW, can anyone who was closer to the stage tell if people were actually singing along to the choir part in OTBOA?
Yes.  :)

Nice report btw.  :tup
Thanks!

I found a photo gallery of the show: https://www.soundi.fi/jutut/keikat/kuvagalleria-dream-theater-2422014-jaahalli-helsinki

E: An intie with James: https://www.iltasanomat.fi/videot/uutiset/vid-1288658239415.html?pos=ok-trv-istv

Offline weirdo

« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2014, 09:28:40 AM »
Speaking of the projections, the intro video was absolutely amazing :hefdaddy Great job, Blob! :tup

Yes, definitely this!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2014, 12:44:33 PM »
Also, JP was definitely singing on most songs, not just lip-syncing!

>:(  How many times do I have to say that he has NEVER been lip synching!  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2014, 12:54:33 PM »
We know, Bosk.  You prefer to believe that JP was singing along into an inaudible mic while a recording of JLB's voice singing the exact same line JP was (silently) singing played at the same time.  We know.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2014, 01:48:31 PM »
Wow, I can't believe Helsingin Sanomat let a worthless "review" like this be published: https://www.hs.fi/arviot/Konsertti/Arvio+Dream+Theaterin+progemetalli+soi+yksitoikkoisesti/a1393300125175

Not gonna translate it, at least right now, but the fact that the writer left during the intermission and the photo is from the 2012 show should say something about the amount of effort and time put into it :facepalm: Seriously, The Guardian's review looks like a piece of art compared to this.

Offline Zukuduku

« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2014, 02:22:28 PM »
Wow, I can't believe Helsingin Sanomat let a worthless "review" like this be published: https://www.hs.fi/arviot/Konsertti/Arvio+Dream+Theaterin+progemetalli+soi+yksitoikkoisesti/a1393300125175
WTF did I just read? The "reviewer" obviously hates metal music in general, so perhaps somebody else could have written the review? Now the writer and the newspaper just make themselves look stupid.

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2014, 03:45:39 PM »
Hey guys, I'm back in Estonia and I'd also like to share my experience  :)

Second time for me seeing DT, last time was Progressive Nation 09. This time, double the DT and seeing MM for the first time! Awesome. I had a standing ticket but the closest I got to was like maybe the 3rd row quite close to JMX. Jordan and JLB came to stage left (our side) sometimes so I managed to get some eye contact with them. I sang along a lot of the time, probably off-key but I don't care, I also tried to do a lot of whoah-whoahs during some of the JP or JR leads. After the show I got eye contact with MM, I think he liked my tie and jacket  :tup

The band was very solid and tight. I'd say that JLB and MM were the highlights for me if I have to single anyone out. JLB just so rock-solid, hitting some powerful notes and cracking a good joke about the Olympics! (anybody heard what MM said?) and MM pounding it and I just love his rapid wrist movement on that ride! He's enhancing so many of MP's parts. Setlist was great, I'd have liked to see STR, TBP and BTV but all the DTDT songs sounded great, energised and just made sense. As did the other songs of course! Some of the highlights for me:

FAS, TEI, EM (and MM's very cool solo!), TOT, BAI, IT, basically all the Awake and SFAM songs. There is little I'd change about the setlist.

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2014, 03:49:14 PM »
Also, the video screen rocked! Blob, your animations freaking rule, as did a lot of the others. I also enjoyed the hell out of the intermission clips  :metal

BTW, there were a couple of guys in front of me, they were shivering and very near to collapsing on their feet. I just looked at them and listened to them saying "if we go away from here to rest a bit, we won't make it back here". Haha, poor guys, but they soldiered out  :tup

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2014, 04:18:22 AM »
WTF did I just read? The "reviewer" obviously hates metal music in general, so perhaps somebody else could have written the review? Now the writer and the newspaper just make themselves look stupid.
Exactly. I left a comment and it's being moderated, but it should appear there soon.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2014, 01:26:44 PM »
JLB just so rock-solid, hitting some powerful notes and cracking a good joke about the Olympics! (anybody heard what MM said?)
According to someone on another forum he said something about Tuukka Rask. Maybe he was bitter about USA's defeat :D

E: Finally a well-written (and positive) review! :tup https://blogit.mtv.fi/rockaroundtheblog/2014/02/27/enemman-on-enemman-dream-theater-helsingissa/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:43:32 PM by ? »

Offline adastra

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2014, 01:22:36 AM »
JLB just so rock-solid, hitting some powerful notes and cracking a good joke about the Olympics! (anybody heard what MM said?)
According to someone on another forum he said something about Tuukka Rask. Maybe he was bitter about USA's defeat :D
u
E: Finally a well-written (and positive) review! :tup https://blogit.mtv.fi/rockaroundtheblog/2014/02/27/enemman-on-enemman-dream-theater-helsingissa/

If I remember correctly , he said to JLB that he should congratulate us for having the Boston Bruins goaltender, Tuukka Rask
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2014, 01:19:56 AM »
More reviews:

Inferno
Imperiumi

I have to admit that the Kummeli skit reminds me of DT as well :lol

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2014, 06:57:58 AM »
I have to admit that the Kummeli skit reminds me of DT as well :lol

Ahhah, I remember watching this a few years ago and thought that Jussi Pattitussi was a joke person from Petrucci.  :rollin

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1L6C1noV48 That song is hilarious!!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2014, 09:35:11 AM »
Ahhah, I remember watching this a few years ago and thought that Jussi Pattitussi was a joke person from Petrucci.  :rollin
Oh yeah, it's actually a parody of John Patitucci :D He's a bassist, though.

I found a short interview with James: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m76YgRkzqgM

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2014, 08:59:40 AM »